Jow Forumsents into modding?

Jow Forumsents into modding?

I got this lappy for free and want to do a mod to the RAM. The reason is the RAM allocated to VRAM gets too hot and the laptop crashes. It'll suddently reboot itself or display will freeze a distorted image with lines and an intermitent white noise that needs a hard shut down.

Attached: 20190424_155557.jpg (3068x1836, 3M)

loli

An aluminum sheet making contact with the RAM on both sides of the SO-DIMM can be done. Can I order a such a thing? Any company that works alluminum on requests like this?

uwu

Attached: 20190424_163321.jpg (3261x1833, 3.09M)

And you keep thinking it's the RAM overheating.
It's not. Those modules use less than 4W each, which is not hard to dissipate even passively with such an amount of surface area.
If the ram is failing when it heats up, that means either a BGA solder joint has gone bad, or one of the chips has internally failed.
Try running a memtest on each module individually and you'll see.

You can't guarantee it, you can't, you can't.
Honestly speaking, we've found it lacking, you know?
>Haven't you heard.
>Lacking
As in "i rather continue my path along the...
a) a manuscript

Arch isn't actually hard to install.
b) all of the above
C) oxygen expert

Calling Linux GNU/Linix is like calling a girl by her full name instead of "babe" or, "camila you whore".

Have you tho?
>Depends, its a variable, like the chocolate that makes good milk brown.

d)not quite all of the below

>Enough of your lemon milk™

Attached: e267fc197a4546b0a2ee75f2df3f7322.png (1920x1080, 2.05M)

>the RAM allocated to VRAM gets too hot
And how did you come to this conclusion?

>It's not the RAM

It runs great when I use it to just browse the internet but if I launch a game even an old game and it starts allocating RAM to VRAM then it does it's thing. It crashes.

I touch it after it crashes or reboots itself up. I have it with the cover off resting on a plastic stand.

>It's not the RAM
Where did I say that? It is the ram, but the issue isn't overheating
>I launch a game even an old game and it starts allocating RAM to VRAM then it does it's thing. It crashes.
Ram usage goes up, system starts using the bad parts of the stick and shit crashes. Run a memtest, maybe one of the sticks is good.

What I mean is that it works great surfing the internet but if a game is launched then it crashes shortly after. It's an APU.

>It's an APU.
Update the drivers.
Test the ram in another system.
Test the laptop with different ram.
Those mobile APUs are known for two things: Having awful drivers and failing due to bad solder joints.

>I touch it after it crashes or reboots itself up
Fool proof diagnostics right there.

Attached: 1555144597231.jpg (642x618, 64K)

Alright. How long does a Memtest last and how do I launch it? The RAM is new. A few months old.

Just run memtest you stupid faggot. Why ask for advice if you are just going to ignore it?

You make a bootable USB stick with it and run it. How long it takes depends on how good the system's memory bandwidth is. But again, knowing how flaky these APUs are, I'd test the memory on another system just to be sure.

>, I'd test the memory on another system just to be sure.
Don't give this faggot even more excuses not not bother with testing it.

Windows 10 have a builtin Memtest is it shit? The chokes get hot af but not the RAM. Not as hot as playing a game. Would be cool if I could order some alluminum sheets for passive cooling because it seems nobody does SO-DIMM passive cooling.

Attached: 20190424_172546.jpg (2790x1584, 3.18M)

IT
IS
NOT
A
HEAT
PROBLEM
RUN
A
MEMTEST
This is my last post in this thread.

Attached: 20190424_173802.jpg (2613x1761, 3.01M)

Do not run windows memory test it's trash use memtest 86 and allow it to run for a few hours.

Memory holes are difficult to spot.

Few hours? Then I'll just start it over with both sticks in. I was going to try one stick per channel at a time so if it fails I know which one it was.

Attached: 20190424_184008.jpg (1988x1599, 2M)

First try went for 40 minutes before turning it off to put in the other RAM stick I took off. Now it's been 2 and a half hours with no errors.

It seems I was right all along. The RAM allocated as VRAM just gets too hot. I don't know where I can buy passive cooling for SO-DIMM, it appears nobody does. Any company that works aluminum I can request sheets based on measurements? I guess I could buy old aluminum heatsinks and cut it. Any ideas?

Attached: 20190424_215221.jpg (2114x1555, 2.01M)

who let their AI loose on here?

Its probably not the ram but the GPU failing, how often did you clean your laptop? Changed thermal paste, etc?
Do you know that the heatsink can fail?
How are the temps running Prime95 and/or Furmark?

Laptop is basically new. It was bought and never used. It was in the box when I got it. I already changed the thermal paste. I have not done Prime 95 nor Furmark. Prime 95 I can do but it can't do Furmark. It can't even do Farcry 2 without crashing lol

Attached: 20190424_231204.jpg (1888x1409, 1.63M)

I guess this is enough

Attached: 20190424_235030.jpg (2020x1426, 1.73M)

Attached: 20190425_014222.jpg (3264x1836, 2.08M)

Now this is something I didn't expect. Everything is pretty hot and yet it haven't crashed. Could powerdraw be the actual problem? It crashes while gaming because it can't supply power to CPU and GPU at the same time?

Attached: 20190425_015042.jpg (3264x1836, 1.98M)

Wow it has not crashed in 10 minutes. What in the actual fuck?

Attached: 20190425_021437.jpg (2827x1596, 3.49M)

Well, it crashed again playing Shogun 2. I don't know what to think of it anymore. It reboots by itself without warning.

>Could powerdraw be the actual problem? It crashes while gaming because it can't supply power to CPU and GPU at the same time?
Have you ran HWMonitor to check the temps of all your parts?

do it yourself you can cut aluminum that thin with scissors

Attached: 1553289283860.jpg (750x1200, 309K)

Yes but it expired and I'm not gonna pay for it so I'm using Speedfan. Both give the same readings.

Ram is almost never the problem.
In most cases your pc boots or it doesnt. Load failure is rare and getting to hot as vram is just dumb.

I think the problem is the crappy apu with the long ass heatpipe. I suspect that the temp readings on the cpu are incorrect and you simply overheat with that. Also all the crappy apus ive had run fucking hot as lava under load because ams sucks as mobile cpu.

Get the laptop under load and touch the heatpipe over the cpu. If its to hot to touch you got your answer.

>Ram is almost never the problem.
I've personally run into a faulty ddr3 or memory channel issue on my x79 i7-3930k in the past. It would randomly shut off or give random bsod errors that were always different. But it would only trigger when I do certain actions like open a new tab or access certain directories.

Check your RAM voltages, your power supply is probably leaking. Check if the voltage regulators are hot.

user, this is a christian board. Shotas & traps only ok.

I hammered it with Furmark and Furmark's CPU burner and it took it for 10 minutes. The temps are not high because I have it with no cover and a high amount of air blowing to it. Playing Shogun 2 the APU hovers around 52°C-53°C. The RAM gets much hotter but I don't have the means to measure it. After it had the stresstest it's suddently reporting lower temps than usual. I guess the paste cured.

Attached: 20190425_040604.jpg (2324x1718, 3.21M)

Sadly only timings and clock on HWiNFO

The fuck? Pick up a multimeter.

Where do I check with it?

You're a clown. Learn some electronics before doing "hardware mods".

I think lolis are bible legal

Attached: 1549195314356.png (600x654, 254K)

I think what he means by hw mod is folding a piece of aluminium over each dimm as a heatsink kek