Why not just accept that caring so much about your privacy and "freedom" is pointless and ends up making your life...

Why not just accept that caring so much about your privacy and "freedom" is pointless and ends up making your life worse in the long run? It's so obvious.

When you completely deny yourself any access to propietary software, you lose so much: access to professional tools such as Adobe, access to drivers for high-end hardware such as powerful graphics cards and processors, and thus access to any of those pieces of hardware in the first place, the ability to play video games, the comfy convenience of just being able to pop open a streaming app and open any video or audio you want without any further thought; etc.

If you don't want services to be able to de-anonymise the data they collect from you, just use a good VPN and don't enter your real name into any sign-up forms.

>Inb4 any of the standard cope memes: reeeeeeeee vidya gays are for children, reeeeeeeeee windows and apple are toys, reeeeeeeeee (x racebait), reeeeeeeeee go back

Attached: 1445206368138.jpg (1024x904, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20180127173904if_/http://tehlug.org:80/files/solove.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

/thread

Proprietary software generally sucks and FOSS is of superior quality on average.

Yeah I agree. I never cared much for my privacy when it comes to computer activity. If anyone, whether it was a family member, government agent, big tech employee, went through my computer they wouldn’t really find anything. Other than odd google quieres and weird youtube videos related to movie scenes that I liked and wanted to see again without watching the whole movie.

I truly doubt anyone gives a fuck about your hentai or whatever.
Just never understood why people get so riled up about their privacy. I never do anything illegal online just as I never do anything illegal in person.

I disagree. I’ve had to use lots of FOSS for various things at work and often times it’s a massive headache. Poor documentation, inconsistent documentation, no support unless you post an issue on their github and wait for a reply. Products always in a perpetual state of incompleteness. The developers can completely abandon the project and you’re basically fucked if you rely on it heavily.

I actually enjoy configuring my computer as a hobby, but on the other hand I'm not an OCD freetard. I do use spotify, I play some games occasionally, and i think youtube is a great resource to watch things that interest me. i just don't like using windows, and at the end of the day when i sit down and spend time getting something working right i wind up having as much fun as just using the thing i set out to configure on windows. I guess the point your missing OP is that there are autists who take things too far in any hobby and thats sorta the natural order of things i think.
>inb4 nice blogpost

>The developers can completely abandon the project and you’re basically fucked if you rely on it heavily.
Fork it. Can't do that with proprietary software, can you? :)

>Poor documentation, inconsistent documentation, no support
Literally just described most of my experience with proprietary software. With free software if all of that is true, you can at least look a the source code.

>just accept that caring so much about your privacy and "freedom" is pointless
Is it? Please post your timestamped pic, along with your verified name, address, phone number, place of work, social media accounts, emails, and passwords. Thanks.

I literally didn't mention the word "Linux" once in my post. Kys.

wants privacy, also uses a tripcode
>what did he mean by this?

Sure, you can do that... but our teams capacity is pretty limited and forking a project and developing it ourselves is easier said than done when we have deadlines for other things.

Like we do some docker related stuff and we were using some open source storage driver stuff, the developers literally abandoned the project (we contacted them and they confirmed). Instead of wasting our time on their abandoned project we looked at other options and ultimate decided on cloud storage.

So what i’m trying to say is, forking the project really isn’t feasible in a professional environment.

>tripcode is non-private

Attached: AllKindsOfWhat.jpg (801x536, 90K)

But not everyone knows how to or cares enough to code their own functionality into an application. Also having to browse through a plethora of different "forks" of an application and find the most up to date and consistent one is extremely user unfriendly and annoying.

>having choice is bad and too confusing
This is your mind on proprietary software

>Why
Stopped reading there.

Attached: 1548218388016.png (217x217, 2K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Hmmm, I don’t entirely believe that. For example, we deal and work with lots of Micro$oft stuff, so i’ve read various documents from them and they’re always detailed and complete. AND they keep record of old versions of those documents so if you’re stuck on an old version, you can keep going.

Whereas with FOSS, they may not always keep old documentation around and when you ask it, you get snarky replies of “lol just go to our latest version” which isn’t possible when you’re stuck with their shitty backward incompatible old version.

>lol just learn an entire programming language and build specific extremely complex features instead of using a comfy propietary software that works right out of the box
This is your brain on FOSS

>microsoft documentation
is a joke compared to your average man entry.

>understanding the tools you use and depend on is too much for the proprietary brainlet

>alienating the vast majority of your user base who wouldn't have extensive technical knowledge makes sense
The absolute state of freetard brains

you can't even understand the subject and problems you write about, not to mention the 'tools you use'. Of course this is le funny bait XDD but the fact is that you are brainlet and I really hope you are at least happy with it.

Imagine unironically arguing that having a large number of choices in tools is a bad thing and that making a decision on which one is the best for your job is too confusing.

poor thing, you can't speak without templates

Attached: 1512514639694.png (900x729, 163K)

>he says this while posting a wojack

You can't derive all of that information from the average person's online footprint, especially if they use a VPN.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as "Linux", is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Fuck off spammer.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as spam, is in fact GNU/Spam, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Spam. Spam is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities, and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

You are absolutely correct. But OP's statement that we should
>just accept that caring so much about your privacy and "freedom" is pointless
is wrong. And easily proven wrong.

I am OP. I've done my research, prove me wrong.

Personally I only care about the OS being free, what runs on top of it should be self-contained and judged individually.
>you lose so much: access to professional tools such as Adobe
kek

>access to professional tools such as Adobe,
Good riddance
>access to drivers for high-end hardware such as powerful graphics cards and processors,
Only nvidia shit. Again, don't want that crap anyway.
>the ability to play video games
You can play them offline on a console and not worry about them violating your privacy.
>the comfy convenience of just being able to pop open a streaming app and open any video or audio you want without any further thought
popcorn time can easily do this for movies and tv. downloading music isn't that inconvenient.

web.archive.org/web/20180127173904if_/http://tehlug.org:80/files/solove.pdf

Please post your timestamped pic, along with your verified name, address, phone number, place of work, social media accounts, emails, and passwords.

Post the above? You are right that privacy and freedom are pointless, and I am wrong.

Refuse? You are wrong that privacy and freedom are pointless.

But I'm not actually one of those "I've got nothing to hide" people. I just don't think that the data that online services like Google or Facebook collect is enough to lose your mind over, especially if you use a VPN.

lol didn't you respond to agreeing with it? You've now contradicted yourself.

op is unironically correct

Attached: :).png (540x360, 139K)

>Good riddance
>Only nvidia shit. Again, don't want that crap anyway.
Cope. "I can't have it, so I'll convince myself over and over that I don't *really* need it."

>You can play them offline on a console and not worry about them violating your privacy.
But don't they still violate your "freedom" by being closed-source?

>popcorn time can easily do this for movies and tv. downloading music isn't that inconvenient.
Movie studios and music artists should get paid for their content. This is impossible with piracy.

Not him, but come on. Accusing somebody of being envious of Nvidia cards? Are you really _that_ dense?
Wake up, Neo, lmao.

>Movie studios and music artists should get paid for their content.
Only music is worth buying and you shouldn't be a jackass and actually properly buy stuff (either physical releases like CDs or downloads off of places like bandcamp). Streaming with spotify gives them fucking pennies at best.

He was wrong in two ways:
1) Assuming all powerful GPUs are Nvidia
2) Disregarding that I also mentioned powerful CPUs in the paragraph he was replying to (forgot to mention this in my previous reply)

Also, I'm not accusing him of being envious of Nvidia cards, but rather criticising the general thought process of denying the general value of something because you personally don't like or want it.

Pennies add up when there are hundreds of millions of Spotify users streaming the same song. Also, CD stores are disappearing due to their gradual decrease in popularity, and you can't easily play them on your phone; you have to rip them on to a PC and then copy them to your phone. Both of these reasons make CDs a less desirable option than digital streaming for most.

>Cope. "I can't have it, so I'll convince myself over and over that I don't *really* need it."
I am not envious of nvidia graphics cards because AMD graphics are the same shit for a better price. I am not envious of Photoshop because photopea does the same thing for no price.
>But don't they still violate your "freedom" by being closed-source?
Yes but if you disconnect them from the internet closed source programs can't do more nefarious things like datamine you. For a video game I'm not using it do anything important so lacking the freedom to modify and understand how it works it isn't really a big deal, although it is less fun that way.
>Movie studios and music artists should get paid for their content. This is impossible with piracy.
You can donate to the artists and give them much much more money than they'd get from netflix or spotify if you want. They hardly make any money off that stuff. Paying money for digital things is optional whether you like it or not anyway because digital stuff is non-scarce.

>hundreds of millions of Spotify users streaming the same song
This will never happen to anyone except for the most bland and most popular pop artists. The small band will struggle forever.

>Also, CD stores are disappearing due to their gradual decrease in popularity, and you can't easily play them on your phone; you have to rip them on to a PC and then copy them to your phone. Both of these reasons make CDs a less desirable option than digital streaming for most.
CDs are superior to shitty streams because you have a proper lossless source and can do whatever you want with it. I know that most people are plebs, but you don't have to be one too.

>I am not envious of nvidia graphics cards because AMD graphics are the same shit for a better price. I am not envious of Photoshop because photopea does the same thing for no price.
Ok, fair.

>Yes but if you disconnect them from the internet closed source programs can't do more nefarious things like datamine you.
The mentality of "propietary software could be doing anything and you would have no way of knowing" is still overblowing things though. Like, technically, there's no way to *prove* that someone didn't hide small needles inside an apple when it was being packaged, so it's my duty to never eat apples that I don't grow myself and also to spread the word to others that they must never eat non-homegrown apples either. Not to mention that I don't think people store very much personal information or sensitive data on their game consoles.

>You can donate to the artists and give them much much more money than they'd get from netflix or spotify if you want.
You really can't, though. Not everyone has a Patreon.

Everybody breaks dozens of laws on a daily basis. If the government wants to, they can go on a fishing expedition and jail you. That's how people actually want to jail as part of the investigation into the Russian hacking hoax.

>The mentality of "propietary software could be doing anything and you would have no way of knowing" is still overblowing things though.
In most cases we mostly know what they're doing because you can monitor the network traffic and see that they're all spying on you. Windows and google chrome log your every keystroke.
> I don't think people store very much personal information or sensitive data on their game consoles.
Yeah I still play video games since I don't think privacy is as much of an issue with those. I'm not 100% free yet.
>You really can't, though. Not everyone has a Patreon.
A public figure that doesn't accept donations sounds like a public figure that doesn't want money to me.

I'm an unironic schizo and I hate it when people I have no influence over look at me.
Data is power these days, and I hate it when other people have power over me.
Also
>just use a good VPN
Easier said than done, seems like every single one these days is moving data under the table.

Attached: 1523190357750.gif (360x202, 1.58M)

It's the principal of the matter!

Attached: PajeetPunishment.jpg (745x960, 143K)

>This will never happen to anyone except for the most bland and most popular pop artists. The small band will struggle forever.
It doesn't happen only to the most popular pop artists, it also happens, to varying extents, to all popular artists in all genres. Also, there are many other streaming platforms other than Spotify, and each platform doubles the amount of revenue generated from a release. Also, distributing on more popular platforms than Bandcamp actually helps them in the long run, as it means more potential exposure due to the higher user base on said platforms, as well as more people already having the app on their devices and just being able to type in the band name rather than using a completely different website or app, or tracking down a CD store with the exact album in stock.

>CDs are superior to shitty streams because you have a proper lossless source
Ever heard of Tidal?

>In most cases we mostly know what they've doing because you can monitor the network traffic and see that they're all spying on you. Windows and google chrome log your every keystroke.
But that's only an issue if they can tie that data back to your real-life identity, which comes back to what I originally said about using a VPN and not entering personal information into sign up forms.

>A public figure that doesn't accept donations sounds like a public figure that doesn't want money to me.
Or, they could not find it neccessary since they already get enough revenue from streaming platforms anyway, even if it isn't necessarily multiple millions of dollars.

>I'm an unironic schizo
lol you just ruined all the points you made.

>lol you just ruined all the points you made.
I answered the question, no points were made. Besides that maybe VPNs aren't as easy as OP makes them out to be. The comfort of hiding (or at least the illusion of hiding) outweighs the comforts outlined in the OP for me.
Yet you make the personal attack. Are you trolling or just unable to unable to imagine that someone may feel differently than you?

>Yet you make the personal attack. Are you trolling or just unable to unable to imagine that someone may feel differently than you?
Nah, not really. I didn't "attack" you, rather I simply pointed out your error. And I've been very calm and collected throughout this entire thread, giving other people a chance to discuss with me and even agreeing with a few of their points every now and then. You sound like the angry one here.

None of that is worth it. I lose nothing by "missing out" on social network bickering, paying out my ass for subscription-based software, and the false sense of security VPNs provide.
If you just cannot live without the above, it's on you.

Based and checkedpilled.

>Tidal
>subcription based
>don't really own the songs

I used GNU/Linux for 20 fucking years and 100% agree, now. I got so sick of GNU/Linux promising to get better while throwing more and more bullshit into the mix and making it worse, all the while being antagonistic towards any attempt to lure in anyone making decent programs for it.

I went back to using Windows (10, at that) and I'm a fuck lot happier. It's been several years coming, really, but recently it has just gotten too much for me.

>Russian hacking hoax

Attached: Trump-Russia.jpg (1069x535, 87K)

>Just use a VPN, no probs
B- b- but they never warned us they were stealing our data in the first place

>just do what i say, the thread

>Why not just accept that caring so much about your privacy and "freedom" is pointless and ends up making your life worse in the long run?
Because not everyone wants to take life with a defeatist attitude.
>When you completely deny yourself any access to propietary software, you lose so much:
That depends a lot on what you do. My work tools are free software. Sure, someone might use to use Adobe software because the company they have to work for enforces it, but not everyone is in such situation.
>access to drivers for high-end hardware such as powerful graphics cards and processors
AMD has free drivers for Linux that perform well. You can use any modern X86 CPU with mainline Linux, not sure what you mean/ If you are talking about issues like PSP/Intel ME, their problem is of a different nature than proprietary software - we just don't trust it, and see it as a potential security issue. Outside of that, it's just like most firmware no one has any intention ever of touching it. Your keyboard also has firmware, but it's just trivial software to make it work, and you are very unlikely of wanting to modify it.
>the ability to play video games
The source code of Pokémon Red/Blue and GSC is available online, that's enough for my gaming needs.
You can work to improve this situation by developing free games and contributing to existent free game engines.
>the comfy convenience of just being able to pop open a streaming app and open any video or audio you want without any further thought
Until you lose your Internet connection for reasons outside your control. I'd rather have files in my HDD. At least making backups is up to me, not some random in the other side of the world.

You sound like you would enjoy Linux. Take any popular distro and some usb stick, fiddle with it for the weekend! Raspberry Pi/Github was a blessing for entry hobbyists, everyone can contribute (there are many, many more things out there, I know).
In my opinion, security and computers are too important to ignore. It's no joke how our lives depend on them, so of course I'm learning some ABCs before something bad happens: computer acting cranky? No biggie. Getting all my data stolen and spread across the Internet? Though luck, but it's not hopeless.
In the end it seems like propietary = more basic, more fool-proof, less toying besides official word vs free = extra features, scary for beginners, flexible enough you can make it work in a bigger range.