/spg/ - Smartphone General

Answer the call Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1555408922508.jpg (540x378, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d usdPrice.400,f_max_d screenSize.5.5,fe_bands-lte-b2-1900,fe_bands-lte-b4-1700-2100-aws-1,fe_bands-lte-b5-850,fe_bands-lte-b13-700
fxtec.com/pro1/#specification
m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9652&idPhone2=9616
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP7 is just a reskinned OP6T and the OP7P is the price of an s10

For me? Its the s10.

So, shorter version:

I need to replace my dumb and almost broken Galaxy J7 V for a real man's phone.

>country
USA
>carrier
Verizon (4G if that matters? I'm new to mobile exclusive tech)
>wanted features
No unremovable bloatware, rootable, durable cuz I have ADHD, slide out keyboard or a flip style would be nice especially flip style.
I prefer square screen over trapezoid cut out of everything I do fullscreen.
>budget
$110-$300 maybe $400 if I push it.
>size
Fits pocket with > or = 5.5" screen space

hey Jow Forumsentoomen, I recently picked up an s8 active after my s7 died, and I can't enable certain applications. Play Store tells me they're installed, and that they're disabled,but every time I go to enable them it flashes "Open" for a second and immediately goes back to "Enable" like it's been forcefully shut off. I've checked the Apps section of the settings and it's not installed there. I've restarted the phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, all to no avail. the first time I uninstalled and reinstalled, it started the app, but then immediately snapped back to the play store and stopped cooperating.

Any idea what do? Did smart switch fuck me over and now the settings are permanently fucked? I had none of these problems on the s7 yesterday, I just couldn't plug anything into it for ages.

Not 100% smartphone related, but I was messing around with my friend's Pixel today and he was showing me some vids on Google Photos.
Apparently uploading photos and videos to Google Photos on the "high quality" setting doesn't count for the 15GB cloud limit, so he can upload whatever he wants without taking any space.
The thing is, what's stopping a guy from uploading Terabytes of dvd/bluray rips to Google Photos? It just sounds too good to be true.

almost all of google's hosting servers scrub the data and run it through a DMCA filter to check for copyrighted content. Tried transfering an episode of last year's GoT and it got flagged and pulled in 30 mins

>slide out keyboard
BlackBerry KEY2 it your only choice.

>Samsung DeX™ only allows a single modified Ubuntu distribution that is 3.7GB, ~15GB installed and probably has Android Samsung Bloat® bullshit and security concerns, instead of allowing Lubuntu or some other lightweight distribution that allows a full desktop experience and doesn't make the phone heat up to 100C

Attached: nocountryforoldmen.jpg (640x360, 31K)

>only choice
Or flip style? I saw another user posting about that.

If there's nothing... what if I increase the price? I'm partly just curious.

No one makes flip phones or keyboard phones anymore grandpa.

This might be based on an outdated mentality from like 2004 to 2008-ish, but I don't trust blackberry and would, in that case, prefer no keyboard.

B-but they do... I just don't know if I can use them on an android phone with Verizon.

Probably not, since you need to have the phone whitelisted even if the bands match.

Okay fine.
They really should have this feature in my opinion in case something goes wrong, but whatever.
Without the keyboard condition then.

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d usdPrice.400,f_max_d screenSize.5.5,fe_bands-lte-b2-1900,fe_bands-lte-b4-1700-2100-aws-1,fe_bands-lte-b5-850,fe_bands-lte-b13-700

help yourself out

OP7 Pro is confirmed to be at 700€
OP7 is probably 579€

Are you getting your 1piss at flagshit prices?

Attached: gsmarena_004.jpg (727x408, 36K)

>review
it's a screener you pleb

your only "spec" was keyboard or flip phone. be more specific or kys.

Whats the point of a 90hz screen if our eyes cant see more than 60

Nice 7s

Attached: tenor.gif (350x254, 2.76M)

How confirmed is this?

Looks like I might just fucking buy a Mi 9 tomorrow then. $500 is a lot less than $650

Its not out of the realm since its the pro version and oneplus has been steadily hicking prices about 20-30 bucks per release

How much will OP7 be?

Is anyone else with [spoiler]cricket/at&t[/spoiler] having low signal and slow data right now?

>using anything but based t-mobile

>new phone is coming in tomorrow

Attached: snek.gif (400x402, 432K)

the one thing i hate about buying phones in 2019 is that there's a new "flagship" coming out all the time. oneplus has twice a year drops, so does samsung, apple drops a few new ones every year, xiaomi has a bunch of big drops, huawei has a few big drops a year

i miss the days of buying a new phone and knowing you had the latest and greatest for at least a year.

How can I get the android app screen to have a list view instead of a grid? It would save so much time trying to deal with some old people I do tech stuff for.

Replacing my Galaxy Note 4 and not sure what phone meets my desires.

>Features
Slide-out Physical Keypad, I'd prefer if the keypad is built-in but I wouldn't say no to one with a keypad built into a case that can be attached 24/7.
Headphone Jack
Decent camera
Don't care if it's a smartphone or not

>Region
US & Verizon

>Budget
Preferably less than $500

>Size
Smaller than the Note 4
Preferably less than 5.5" x 2.5", don't care about depth

Good for you user, what phone did you get?

>Slide-out Physical Keypad
lol, the fuck is this, 2009?

Looking for a dumbphone with a QWERTY keyboard (probably a slide out one. Can someone recommend? I am absolutely sick and tired of all of the nonsense a smartphone has brought into my life. I am metamorphosing into a boomer, and need something to help me complete my journey.

Pixel 3, can't wait.

I just prefer the tactile feel of something under my fingers rather than a smooth touchscreen.

get over it, I had to in 2012

vibration feedback on letter press isnt enough?

>slide out keyboard
>Slide-out Physical Keypad
>QWERTY keyboard
Just cough up $650 and get an F(x)tec Pro 1.

Pros:
>backlit keyboard
>headphone jack with FM radio
>unlocked bootloader for custom ROMs
>choice of second SIM or microSD
>video-out over USB-C (DeX but cheaper)
>bands for every network

Cons:
>terrible name, doomed to failure because of normie-unfriendly name
>2-year-old 835, but you don't really need an 845 or 855 anyway
>company won't exist in a couple of years

Attached: Fxtec-Pro1-004.jpg (1219x1000, 72K)

>Verizon
yeah about that

You're covered.

fxtec.com/pro1/#specification
> CDMA/EVDO: BC0, BC1
0 and 1 are Verizon
> FDD-LTE: 1, 2/25, 3, 4, 5/26, 7, 8, 12/17, 13, 20, 28, 66
2, 4, 5, 13, and 66 are Verizon

it's nice to certified by them though

*not

Out of your budget range but worth bringing up
Gemini PDA

Attached: SFOS_.jpg (1920x1440, 1.08M)

Specs look breddy good for Galaxy S10e and XR prices, user

That looks ok, but I really don't want a smartphone, it's just too distracting, you know? Email and music are really all I need at the very most. I would buy a flip phone but I am not putting up with smacking 7 multiple times to get an s.

Very good choice user, I'm happy for you. Are you gonna tweak it?

How bad is the bloatware going to be on the amazon exclusive moto g6? Looking for a budget upgrade from my failing s5 and $160 doesn't seem bad.

Why did the modular phones die out without becoming a thing? They would've been the king of anyone not sucking the iphone dick.

are there any current gen android phones without all this retarded meme shit? I'm looking for a phone that has
>headphone jack
>no notch or rounded screen corners
>buttons below the screen
might have to get an iphone 6s otherwise

Probably not for a while, android p is pretty good stock. If there's a feature I really want out of it I'll root it and install lineage.

Is there a gallery app that allows me to restrict the directories it looks for photos? I put bunch of music folders on my phone (S10e) and didn't notice that they had album art and scanned leaflets files in them and now they have absolutely flooded the default gallery app. Didn't find a setting for it, at least.

this would get me to buy a note 10 at 1500ish over the note 9/8 at $1000/800 I've had my eye on
Hopefully they don't fuck it up with a pill, notch or missing 3.5mm/sdcard

s7

That's good user. Enjoy it when you get it.

Pretty sure you can place a blank file named .nomedia or nostore something like that and the next time the gallery rebuilds it should ignore those folders

simple gallery lets you restrict areas

it isn't worth it. a $100 chromebook would be more useful. The phones heat up a lot and you would still need to have a keyboard /mouse/monitor for that garbage performance and extreme price.

>current gen
s7 is on Android 8 and is not updated anymore

Be grateful. My phone is still (and forever will be) on 6.0.1

ZTE Blade V8 Pro?

If you get a super premium flagship at release you have the latest and greatest for about 6 months. If you got the S10+ you have the best until the Note10 releases. Anything else is a lateral move. If you get the Note10, you'll have the best until the S11 etc. The release schedule is half-yearly now.

BlackBerry PRIV. Good phone, but was dated in some aspects even upon release.

sure, if I had bought one in 2016. but buying a new phone in 2019 that comes with android 8 and will not receive any more updates would be stupid, hence why i asked for current gen.

>unironically using a blackedberry

Oneplus 3 or the 3T, pie beta is out for them

>He fell for the meme
Kek good job and keep it up

thanks but it doesn't seem to be available anymore, can only find used and refurbished ones

Thanks, it looks exactly what I was looking for.

Do oppo phones require an oppo ID to work?
I'm trying to install apps from f-droid but the phone is asking me to verify my ID. I created an ID using their website but I don't have a china phone number to link with.

Buy an old BlackBerry. The apps getting deprecated won't matter because you don't want to use them anyway.

Was doing spring cleaning and found my old Droid 2 (Motorola Milestone 2 internationally) and man do I miss the device. It was actually small, had a physical camera button AND a slide out keyboard, and was kinda cute. It's a shame they wont make something like it again. I've been happy with my slabs but there was something magic in those first few years.

I buyed a samsung j5 pro, is kino?

In my country the OP7 is marginally more expensive than the OP6T was at launch and the OP7P is cheaper than the s10e.

If you buy the OP7 Pro now it'll last you for 3-4 years easily

No shit idiot, it's a 3 year old brick. Buy refurbished or neck yourself you pozzed faggot

Bros I'm buying the max pro M2 over the redmi note 7 because of the clean software and bigger battery. Am I doing it right?

Which one should I get,Jow Forums
m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9652&idPhone2=9616
I just use my phone to browse the interwebz on the go and as a fgo machine

Attached: wJJegyswatY7gBNMardEKD-650-80.jpg (650x365, 23K)

>holeshit
>holeshit
idk get whatever tickles your fancy. I'd get the Samshit if I were you.

There's a workaround for that, you can just activate your SIM in a Verizon certified phone and then move it to a non-certified phone and it'll work as long as the bands are covered.

My Nexus 6p finally shit itself yesterday. I'm looking at the iphone xr deal target has for $450, anyone have any other suggestions? Ideally I would want another oled screen but I can't find anything new under $500 with one. I'm in the US and have at&t.

And if I do get the xr what color should I get?

Attached: iPhone-XR-colors.png (1024x341, 76K)

>i miss the days of buying a new phone and knowing you had the latest and greatest for at least a year.
You still get that if you buy a new iPhone at launch

>buying a new phone and knowing you had the latest and greatest for at least a year.
please explain how buying a flagship now makes it literally outdated and ancient when something slightly more powerful comes out in 6 months
no, go on, I wanna hear how your phones personally stop being solid after a new one comes out. Cocksucker faggot zoomer, just buy it and forget about the smartphone market until it bricks irreparably.

>$160 doesn't seem bad.
It's bad. Google Fi has it for $99 without any Amazon bloat.

Can you use a fi phone on a different network?

Yeah, their phones are all unlocked. All you gotta do is get the phone, activate it on Fi, then after a day or two cancel the Fi service and put your own SIM in.

LG V35, Newegg and Walmart have it for $349

Oh shit nice, looks great. Thanks!

>no equalizer unless you activate "enhancements" which sounds like they've been designed to destroy as much clarity as possible

Attached: Screenshot_20190425-095521.jpg (1080x2280, 156K)

Guise, should I get a redmi note 4?
Need battery life for video playback, screen cast and web browsing.
Also I'd prefer a phone with no heat issues
Any other recs?

Attached: 1556179300811.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

Sup lads, what's a good, affordable, powerful phone in the year or our lord 2019?

My country is the UK and my network is Three.

Here's my criteria:
- Preferably powerful silicon
- Preferably smaller to be honest, and I don't mind bezels - I think the really big screens are ugly
- Preferably good looking
- Preferably cheap and affordable, but that may not be possible

The Pocophone is powerful and affordable, only £300 - £320 on Amazon depending on storage.
Are there any other cheap, moderately powerful phones I should consider? There's the Moto G7 which looks okay. Not a Snapdragon 8 series, but it should be moderately powerful hopefully. Also I know that Huawei phones are quite popular these days but I'm not sure I would want to buy one because many Western governments actively advise their citizens not to due to security concerns. I don't want Xi Jinping spying on my shit, yo.

Or I could just suck it up and go for a Pixel 3? It looks pretty good I think, and I think I prefer the design to the XL.

>TLDR
Do you have any good ideas for cheap and powerful phones? Moto G7? Pocophone? I'm wary of Huawei due to security concerns but if they have a good option then by all means mention it - I've read that the Honor Play is quite powerful.

Attached: pixel 3.jpg (1600x1200, 225K)

Redmi Note 7

Got a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 after people suggested here
Generally liking it,but the music player sucks ass apart from that ''filter shit by size so random shit doesnt appear on your list'' thingy
Damn player cant even play .flac's,has an ugly interface stuck on white and doesnt stay on the list when you choose a song
What music player do you guys use/suggest?

Is Voice over LTE with a carrier supporter to VOIP using LTE internet?

Is there a smartphone with the following specs?
>max 5.5" FHD (or higher res)
>at least 4000mAh battery, preferably larger. And no I will not use a cucky power bank.
>no notch type shit
>halfway decent camera would be nice, but not a must
>bluetooth 4.2 or higher
>B20 LTE
at a price point below 300€?
I have been finding nothing that appeals to me. All phones are fuckhuge today.
Currently on a Redmi 4X, which is starting to show its age in terms of slowing down.

Poco if you're gonna root and ROM it and don't mind the notch
Xperia XZ1 if you want a tiny phone with a smaller screen, it's fast now and goes for 200 quid
otherwise get a Pixel 3, it's got Xperia tier smol factor, front firing speakers as well as new tech and ebin cameras.

ZenFone 3 Zoom AKA Zoom S

Xperia music player, it just werks.
Forget about big batteries on small phones, they do not exist. Just get an XZ1C, it has a nice battery life

Aren't the older zenfones trash?

No idea, but it's pretty much the only phone with the features you want.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Was a different user
I think the older ones had Intel Atom CPUs, which massively held them back. They got hit and didn't run well.

>Forget about big batteries on small phones, they do not exist. Just get an XZ1C, it has a nice battery life
That looks atrocious and is too small for me.

a used note 9 (which is like only 6 month old) costs 350$....
you could just wait get a used note 9 or wait with note 10 once it comes out.