Are mechanial drives obsolete now?

are mechanial drives obsolete now?

Attached: Honeyview_2978099-a.png (350x350, 68K)

no, They are cheap as fuck so people will be using them still. 128gb hdd for less than 5 usd is still worth it.

assuming money isn't an issue for me shouldn't I just replace my hds with ssds? I could easily afford a 4tb Samsung SSD and that's probably going to last me a long time

Then get an ssd. The only reason hdd's are still used is because they are cheap.

hdds are more reliable and should be used if long term storage is a priority

laptops -> ssd
desktops -> ssd for os and hdd as storage

ssd lives up to 2-3 years while hdd lives up to 5-6 years.
If you wanted 10+ years as a main priority then go with tape drives.

100tb hdd's are planned, how on earth are hdd's obsolete?

>ssd lives up to 2-3 years
I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

Untill they get solid state drives to not FUCKING DIE they will remain

the higher the capacity of a mechanical drive the higher the risk of failure, something that doesn't exist with ssds

That's a myth just buy the right brand of hdd

What I said was the average lifespan of an average of all ssd's and hdd's.

I bought some crucial 1TB SSD as my main OS in 2014 and combines a 120GB and 250GB into one drive and I got them in 2012 and they still going strong.

>i'm actually scare as fuck about them dying but I have backups of course

/blog

Wow rip brain.. grammar is tism tier

pajeet pls

and what is the "right" brand?

Toshiba

>ssd lives up to 2-3 years
Have you got any facts in the slightest to back that up?
Are you basing that on SSD technology from 2005?

i sorey engish is not my first language

as return ples preset bobs and vegana

[spoiler] I just looked a random reviews but it seems like some of them were in fact over ten years old. It still doesn't last that long when you have to write to the ssd a majority of the time. [/spoiler]

I heard SSD's can't be 0ed or completely erased so no?

>hdd lives up to 5-6 years

lol no

I have a 30 years old HDD and it still works fine.

For what application?
For low volume storage short-mid term archival storage (where tape drives aren't economically efficient), so sub 100tb and sub 20 year storage life, they will have a niche there. That tb value will keep on increasing as HDDs get more efficient since, although tape gets more efficient, tape drives are going to stay pretty expensive unless something major happens.
So that's a fuckload of enterprise and home use shit still covered.
Where they are more likely to become obsolete are for normies, due to normie habits. Normies are streaming their music and videos now, they also either store their photos on the cloud or simply don't store photos long term. Most of them can get away with even 256gb of storage, and so there is no need for them to buy spinning rust any more. However this could all suddenly change if 8K home theatre format and rips thereof suddenly become popular (they won't).
Enthusiasts will keep to mainly SSD + HDD with some having tape as well for a while, as data requirements are going to grow as economically feasible capacity does.