Is linux worth?

Hey, i been using windows since forever, and i tried ubuntu and manjaro (kinda liked manjaro way more)
Soo, i want to get into javascript and front end things, and im still unsure to use windows or some linux distribution.
I like windows because it works and also i can use all the software that is only there ( games, adobe shit, some weird programs i use)

and i know that if i use some linux i will take my time to set up everything and learn a new workflow and everything.

Sooo, what software you Jow Forums use for developing? and also, do you think companies use windows or linux?

Attached: d27.png (645x729, 75K)

Well, I don't do much webdev but I've found Linux to be way easier to use than Windows after you get used to it ESPECIALLY for dev stuff that I do (x86, C and some scripting).
So I suggest you dualboot just to try getting used to it, learning how things work etc. and keep Windows for Windows-only software.

Okay! What distro do you use?
Im thinking manjaro but i could try arch i guess

Just try some flavour of Ubuntu first and then go and explore other distros

I replied to a similar thread with this, but:
Mint or Manjaro. Mint is fantastic for just learning the basics, and Manjaro is a gateway to the more complex distros.

I don't understand why brainlets think Windows is bad for programming. You think the billions of programs natively available for Windows were made in Linux or something? There's a reason Windows is the number one developer's platform...

Attached: steve ballmer is megaman.png (600x397, 275K)

If you have to ask, you'll get no use of it

Dev on Linux, play on Windows. You'll also end up learning a good amount of bash, which is a pretty good skill to pick up.

Windows's command prompt and shell sucks ass, it doesn't even support Unicode properly

My 7 machine died quite a few months ago and been in the meantime using an old core2duo machine I found for free and put xubuntu in it. When I build my next machine I'm going to linux in that too, maybe a dif distro that takes advantage of the better hardware don't know which yet. I'd rather deal with some of the issues with games than windows 10. It's been fun slowly learning things.

That's the kind of shit freetards care about. Does it support the American letters? Yes, so stop whining about your faggy Jap moonrunes and poop emojis

Manjaro is significantly easier to manage. I'm an engineer at Amazon and I run Manjaro on my personal laptop.
>fonts preconfigured
>power management works
>Arch with batched updates so my DE never breaks
>still get the AUR
>Steam preinstalled

Steam wasn't preinstalled on my Manjaro machine, what gives? My touchpad also didn't work while it was installing?

It depends on the edition, manjaro i3 edition I know for a fact doesn't come with steam.

God punishes tripfaggotry.

Typical Linux fragmentation, never know what you can expect from any given distro

Poor puny Windows user... depends on what you develop, dear friend, because sometimes is more easy to run drivers in linux than windows. Anyway, you can always use VM and run your "unsupported" software there.
Windows remains to be #1 plataform for end users, keep that in mind

based

>You think the billions of programs natively available for Windows were made in Linux or something?
Programs written in C actually, yes.

GNU/kaka

So you're gonna use code and stuff? Literally, you don't need an OS that's specialized to do that. Just use what you like to use. Coding on Linux is a placebo effect (so is coding on mac). At the end of the day, you're inputting text into a file. Also for gaming and other stuff, Linux doesn't have good quality as windows. At the end of the day, do research and find out what's right for you.

>installing ubuntu
>want to verify
>durrr durrr download SHA256SUMS and SHA256SUMS.gpg
>okay, this must be where they tell me to use some linux extension to download them
>or not; that's awfully unspecific
>I'll just run it
>no such file or directory exists
>right click, save in the same directory as my ISO because where the fuck am I supposed to save it
>no such file or directory exists
>GO READ THIS OTHER TUTORIAL ON HOW TO USE SHA256SUM EVEN THOUGH THAT'S WHAT THIS TUTORIAL IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT

Beginner's tutorials should assume that they're working with beginners. That means starting from general public knowledge (clicking a link for Microsoft store) and going from there to the end.

>okay, I need to navigate to downloads folder
>cd C:\Users\user\Downloads
>no such file or directory
>cd C:\
>cd Users
>too many arguments

HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO RUN A PROGRAM

Protip: On linux there is no A:\ , B:\ , C:\ the structure is different.

cringe and retardpilled

I'm trying to run sha256sums from the Ubuntu program for Windows before installing Ubuntu. I'm tired of things being broken.

>cd C:\Ubuntu\
>gpg --keyid-format long --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg SHA256SUMS
>too many arguments

Goddammit. Honestly, compared to Powershell, Bash is really irritating so far. On top of this horseshit, I miss copy and paste. Typing things out is so error prone.

This doesn't look like what the django tutorial guy was using, so I'm wondering if this Windows Ubuntu Bash is just screwy. His version would have had $ after cding into something.

Oh I'm sorry, I'm still a newbie to linux myself and didn't do that all I did was burn the disc and installed it on an old computer (got nothing else at the moment the main I was using broke can't afford anything else)

try
>gpg --keyid-format long --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg

i think every newbie has to pass through those moments where everything brokes and nothing works, its like a ritual or something

>You think the billions of programs natively available for Windows were made in Linux or something?
A lot of them.

>cd C:\Ubuntu\
>gpg --keyid-format long --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg (no username and $)

>cd: too many arguments

>gpg --keyid-format long --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg
>no such file or directory (guess: it's removed me from the Ubuntu directory and put me back wherever this thing starts from)

>namefag
>tripfag
>passfag
>winfag
>Windows is the number one developer's platform
absolutely cringe and bluepilled, you don't belong here faggot.
>pic related, is (you)

Attached: 1554350173432.png (498x594, 121K)

Yeah I suppose but grabbing steam-manjaro from the repos works just fine

Well Idk then. This is something that definitely shouldn't happen.

chcp 65001

>here's a long winded info dump with trivia
>for windows users READ THIS TUTORIAL
>okay
>more long winded shit that should probably be in the troubleshooting section
>for windows users READ THIS TUTORIAL
>more long winded shit that has nothing to do with this installation
>READ THIS TUTORIAL THAT CONFLICTS WITH OUR LAST TUTORIAL; ARE YOU READY FOR FIVE MORE TUTORIALS?

God, I hate whoever wrote the "install ubuntu" tutorials so fucking much. Get to the goddamn point, especially for Windows users, which I'd imagine makes up at least 50% of traffic on the installation page. How do I format the stick (tell me in the tutorial, and be quick about it), and how do I install? I'm on a time limit here. And even if I wasn't, who wants to spend a second longer than they have to in tutorials?

Is this the sort of efficiency that I have to look forward to with their OS? No wonder they work for free.

If you're not sure, you should probably use Windows.
If you're not gonna use an IDE, Windows development can be a pain in the ass though. Then WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) may be benefit you.

For webdev you could just use VSCode which is available on both Windows and Linux. It has a shit ton of extensions tailored specifically for efficient webdev. It's also made out of Electron so effectively you're developing inside a web browser.