/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rms14.jpg (2272x1704, 647K)

Other urls found in this thread:

biosimage.booru.org
youtube.com/watch?v=xIU0zkGZkx0
pcsupport.lenovo.com/hr/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-T420/downloads/DS019164
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What OS do you use on your thinkpad(s)

Attached: IMG-20190411-WA0013.jpg (315x255, 8K)

Debian/xfce with a windows 8.1 VM for MS Excel and Cubase.

Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

>>BIOS logo booru:
>biosimage.booru.org

Are people even testing these before uploading? Quite a few haven't worked for me.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! - 09 [720p].mkv_snapshot_10.40_[2019.03.05_22.21.54].p (1280x720, 884K)

devuan with openbox

>What OS do you use on your thinkpad(s)

And what thinkpad do you run it on?

Anyone else think we should widen these generals to include ex business desktops like optiplexes etc?
They're the same kind of idea and have the same kind of appeal as think pads and are good value for money

I run Xubuntu 18.04 LTS on all my machines, I currently have a X220 and T430.

> me
x61s
x260
t440p
got an x230 but have stopped using it, might do the keyboard mod

The veterans of these threads will oppose change, but I would welcome a change in these threads (even though it would mean jack shit because ThinkPads would still be the top topic of them, but whatever). Something like /bcg/ - Business Computer General

windows 10, x230

Manjaro with LARBS. Thanks, Luke.

Still using ye olde Windows 7 on my W500.

Attached: 20190425_113345.jpg (3264x2448, 2.36M)

What other "good" business laptops are there really? Dell? Hp seems pretty shitty nowadays.
Also
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Qubes OS with Xfce

All 6 of my thinkpads use CloverOS, my T420 was a distro hopping laptop, but because every distro I used sucks ass, I'm going to reinstall CloverOS.

T430
Windows 10/Mint

GNU/kaka

Manjaro with Sway built from git master once a day, X220.

That other user I replied to was talking about including business DESKTOPS, like the ThinkCentre, the Dell Optiplex and the HP EliteDesk or something like that

Not laptops but desktops, think-station, optiplex, Hp business lines etc.

While thinkpads have been getting worse and more expensive they've been getting better and cheaper

You can get an i5 equipped desktop computer with a non shit psu and the ability to handle a decent GPU/expansion ports for like $50 now

T420
Ubuntu w/MATE DE because I'm a basic brainlet

Oh yeah desktops.. I guess that's kinda true.
My bad. I actually have some hp business desktops and I kinda like them even if they aren't really the good kind of hp.

what thinkpad up to 500$?

how much is my fully working x61t with 1400x1050 IPS worth?

Windows 10 because I’m too lazy to change it to anything else

Gentoo and Devuan

T530, Windows 10/Debian dual boot
Might install L/Xubuntu on my T400 when I get it
bout three fiddy

If I coreboot my T420 can I just slot an Ivy bridge processor in or do I have to fiddle with anything else?

I have the DGPU heat sink already

No screen bubbles and relatively good condition?
You could probably ask at least $100.

my t420's mouse/touchpad keeps freezing
anyone know how to fix this?

Just got a T61. Screen has a slight greenish-yellowish tint most noticeable on the bottom half. Is this expected?

does it happen in a livecd as well?

what do you mean by freezing? and operating system?

t440s/t450s

minimal bubbles on edge. im fairly certain i could get at least $200.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

My backlight isn't working, but the screen is fine. What do?

Replace the backlight/fix the backlight circuit

which model?
some ccfl models can be converted to led
even flicker free (no pwm) led
even daylight led (not too blue)

What are some rare Thinkpads you wish you could find? Do people even seek out hard to find models any more, like T60p with 1600x1200 IPS screens for example?

Attached: e.jpg (800x600, 59K)

I would love something like this youtube.com/watch?v=xIU0zkGZkx0

but it aint useful sadly.

I dont collect rare myself and I dont tihnk I ever will. I rather have useful models

At least where I live, an X61s. I've seen just regular 61's and a sole 61t on sale, 200km up north.

my laptop running loonix doesnt charge if I plug it in while the system is running, but if the laptop is in sleep mode or off and then I plug it in, it works and I can open the laptop again and it will continue charging. Why doesnt it work when I plug it in while the system is running? The power LED flashes and thats about it. It's really annoying having to close the laptop lid every time I want it to charge, especially if I'm running a process or download/installation

Does it only do it on Linux? Do you have TLP installed?

based windows 7

im not sure what a livecd is?

like im moving my finger on the touchpad but the arrow on the screen isnt moving
and im on windows 7

if it was windows id tell you airplane mode is on
shame i don't shit about linux

Yeah that seems reasonable.

pretty sure the whole panel has to be replaced

test it in safe mode, if it happens there it is a hardware defect, reinstall the synaptics drivers and try it then

thanks, could you point me to where to find the drivers?

There's a local listing for a T430 with an i5 3320 for $175

Should I grab it or pass?

device manager > mice and other pointing devices >synaptics right click on> unninstal

when a new windows pops up click on the little box, unninstal including software

then refuse to restart device,
download this driver pcsupport.lenovo.com/hr/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-T420/downloads/DS019164

install it, restart the device, and check if the issue is solved

a (you) is enough to thank me

thank (you)

pretty average
if it has 8gb ram, ssd, 1600x900, and is in good condition then that would be a pretty good deal

Uh, the listing has 8GB, an SS/HDD, doesn't list the resolution but I'll wait until he gets back to me

whats the best model in the T-series that has full HD resolution?

Is there any sub 600$ Thinkpad with at least 4 actual cores and a 1080p screen?

T530

yeah

what does it mean when an ebay seller says the laptop has a Locked Bios?

you can't enter bios cos its locked, only way to enter as far as i know is to replace the whole motherboard, and you might need to for whatever reason

the bios has a password on it and that they probably don't know the password, so it is locked
it means exactly what it says...

okay then its not worth imo
i see another one, it is working fine and in good ok condition but wifi is not working (seller says it is not a driver issue)
assuming i buy a new wifi card and replace it, would this fix the issue? - or again is it something unfixable

depends, might be either wifi card, antenna or motherboard if you're really unlucky

also worst case scenario you use a wifi adapter
not the best option but will work

i wish i had known about refurbished business laptops earlier because i could have saved 2000 dollars

Attached: sana7.jpg (1235x1600, 285K)

I put mine on my laptop before I uploaded it, worked fine

Attached: thinkpadsuiseiseki.jpg (640x480, 34K)

sides, its the simple things...

Win7 and Debian on a T430

>buy new keyboard for T550 from ali baba
>shows up
>no backlight
Is there any way to combine to two? (backlitw one on the right)

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.51M)

>on the right
I guess on the top, now

windows 7 on my x220 since i only use it for coursework and wanking.

my daily driver pc is running Debian with Xfce though

Would you pay $150 for a T60?

why when you could get a T520 for that much

Shit here in aus some guy wants one with "new battries and excellent condition "for 350 au

A live cd is just booting linux/gnu or any os from an usb without actually installing it. knoppix or puppy linux or ubuntu are ones I recommend since theyre pretty well made for live usage.

they do not harm your computer they just run from the usb
only ubuntu asks to install probably but you can tell it to try live somehow

Windows 10 Enterprise on my pseudo-T530 and X220T

Attached: 1552757783144.gif (800x900, 1.42M)

Unfortunately the screen is only 768p

But I think I'll grab it and mod the panel later. I need a driver

Are there any resources online with directions that you know of?
I will report back tomorrow morning, don't have access to it at the moment. Not sure of the model.
Not the worst idea, but I have it plugged into a monitor, so that's a little better.

I am teaching myself to program and I want a thinkpad to do it on, what should I be looking for in a machine?

>I am teaching myself to program and I want a thinkpad to do it on, what should I be looking for in a machine?
Get a T420.

Thoughts on x220t? Should I get an x220 instead?

This. ALSO buy a ch341a and flash coreboot on it, then install gentoo and have a really nice happy life.

Lol

Attached: download (10).png (559x322, 104K)

What is the difference between t440s, t440, t440p? I'm looking at buying an i7 t440p, is this much better than the i5 variant?

do you need the tablet functionality? if yes its obvious.

you dont so dont do it
the x220 is superiour and stronger and the better choice for everything besides drawing

T440 and T440s:
>soldered ULV processors
>4gb soldered to the board, plus a free slot, an
>dual batteries.
T440p
>last 14-inch Thinkpad to have a socketed CPU.
>2 ram slots.
More I/o ports

Is it going to be practical to take around with me in a backpack? I've heard it's quite heavy.

t440s is pretty light

Which one?
T420 with 8gb ram and 120gb ssd for 150 bucks
X201 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd for 100 bucks

Attached: 41q1QAln+QL.jpg (387x500, 28K)

Thinking the X390 is the Macbook Air replacement I've been waiting for, what do you anons think of it? I'm going to wait for the price of the 400nits screen.

Been considering to get a W5xx series Thinkpad for just general fuckery and memery. Issue is that living on Didgeridoo island is that no one is selling em or that anyone who is selling them wants well over 500 AUD. Not sure where else to look at this point or give buying internationally a go instead?

How easy is it to get a good thinkpad in places like Thailand or Vietnam? I am going there for a few months and doing remote work, just worried what I would do if my laptop got damaged or stollen.

T450s with 12 gb of ram and a 1080p screen for 400 USD or X1 Carbon 2nd Gen with an i7 5500u and 1440p screen for 500 USD?

Attached: 41789490_301148170473768_5738008694836990922_n.jpg (734x734, 56K)

Picked up an turd gen X1 Carbon from work. Besides the screen I don't see a reason to use this over my T25. If it was the folding one I could see a use for it as a manga tablet but since it doesn't fold I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Attached: Carbon20a7.png (660x525, 37K)

Install gentoo.