What did old computers get better than modern?

What did old computers get better than modern?

Attached: 1348415914_OrLYq9vt_ibm2mx6.jpg (500x425, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iw17c70uJes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ballmouse
Cooling and airflow in cases
Sound and graphic design

?? All of those were worse

Instant boot times
good keyboards
sturdy, durable designs

barrier to entry

I agree with 1 and 2 as for 3 I don't agree because they hard sharp edges and were impossible unstandardized to the point where every manufacturer did their own little special twist on the design

>ballmouse
a shit

Efficiency in terms of processor, memory, and disk use.

I'm saying this without irony, but being a single task machine.
Multitaking and needing to focus on too many things kills workflow. Back when you could only open one application at a time you were working on that one thing, all attention was on it.
This isn't to say you can't do the same thing today, but you damn well know what I mean.

Software efficiency too. If you had inefficient, unoptimized software it would just be slow as fuck.

Being loud as fuck at all times

Having technical reference manuals.

Having disk drives that sound like welding machines

CLICK
BZZZZZZZ
KRRR KRRR KRRRR
BEEP BOOP
KRRRR KRRRRRRRRRRR
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZHHZHZHZHZZZZ
BLIP
HRRRHHRRRRRRR-KRRRGHZZZZ
C:\>

Latency is the main thing that we forgot how to into over the years.
Software also used to be practically art. You don't really see any impressive software anymore. Current innovations are not as hard-hitting as they used to be, anyway...

Attached: 1549643512651.jpg (1894x1636, 541K)

the fact that every single pc was different from each other back then gave each system personality.

Just like Tony Stark, Natasha Romanov and The Vision, this shit be dead son.

>Software also used to be practically art. You don't really see any impressive software anymore.
Machine time is cheaper than programmer time. If it runs tolerably quickly as an Electron app or webpage you can hire some pajeet to do it for 30k a year. People capable of writing in low level languages are either already doing it for free for FOSS projects, commanding six figure salaries as systems/embedded programmers, or both. The business math doesn't work out for writing in anything lower level than the JVM for a depressing amount of software.

youtube.com/watch?v=iw17c70uJes

Far less people where using them.

Depends on what machine, early ones with OS in ROM, sure.
Otherwise booting from HDD was quite quick, just like with a SSD. It's that over time, HDDs couldn't keep up with the demand in speed and computers felt slower and slower to boot or load programs in general.

This, I had completely forgotten how loud they were with all sorts of noises even when just looking up things on the harddisk. Then i turned on my 286.

Offices must have been kinda like a factory in the 80s and 90s.

>bash
>emacs

Let you as a local "indie" (as they would say today) developer compete with the giants. The ceiling was not very high. You could get far with just a copy of Turbo Pascal and maybe some ASM. One man could make a ``AAA'' game.

That's true but at the same time the barrier to entry was sky high. Lack of information, only usually having 1 decent manual to figure out EVERYTHING, no internet, no stack overflow, no instant gratification when it comes to problem solving. So it was at the same time better and worse, somehow

Keyboards.

Gimme dat Model M.

Attached: tenor.gif (350x262, 506K)

Turbo button. Rocking that AMD 486.

underrated post.

yeah, but i need to look shit up all the time to work. would it be better for my workflow if I had to use a separate computer to type things into Google?

I just set up desktops. One is my work environment, one is for looking shit up, and the furthest one out is for garbage like Jow Forums.

Only a retard would prefer a Model M over a Model F.

Imagine being such a retard that you had a single task machine.

He kinda has a point in that it's more likely that your attention will get sucked somewhere if your workspace consists of endless windows and tabs, which most workflows nowadays pretty much demand anyway

In the past it was kinda simpler, which made it less mentally draining.