M.2 - The Future

Why do virgins choose SATA is beyond me

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1536x864, 476K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/StarTech-SM21BMU31C3-com-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B01C7G8W86
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301393
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320272&Description=10gbe nic&cm_re=10gbe_nic-_-33-320-272-_-Product
amazon.com/Aquantia-NIC-5-speed-Ethernet-Network/dp/B07B3G4S4J
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably because my computers don't have an M2 port, free PCIe slots or a BIOS that can boot from those.

>fast M.2 drive in a USB 3.1 M.2 with arch linux on it so I can plug in and boot my workspace on any machine

comfy m2 thread

Attached: 1552176632005.webm (640x800, 606K)

Unreliable garbage that died on me in less than 6 months. Very sensitive to unsafe reboots. I've done like 3 unsafe reboots because system froze and it died.

M.2 is a physical spec, SATA is a data spec
get your shit together retard

>USB
ya blew it

what the fuck else am i gonna use for a portable m2 drive

it's both USB-C and USB-A

USB 3.1 is 10Gbit/s, less than twice as fast as SATA 3. USB 3.0 is 5Gbit/sec.

Only difference is sata is a bottlenecked cable and m.2 connects directly to a pcie lane

so whats the fucking problem.
I said USB 3.1

Attached: 1555732270804.webm (675x720, 1.63M)

this is what i have
amazon.com/StarTech-SM21BMU31C3-com-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B01C7G8W86

m.2 is more space limited than SATA. u.2 is the future.

What about a SATA M.2 drive? You fucking retards are confusing M.2 with NVME.

>All these retarded pseudointellectuals falling for the bait
M.2 is a physical form factor.
OPs question might as well be "Why do virgins choose SATA over SAS".

NVMe is the future and what uses PCIe. M.2 might as well be SATA, not just NVMe.

That's nice.

bait within bait.. astounding

M.2 is just the port... which can use the sata interface...

Placing NVMe adjacent to hot components (ie Video Card) is bad. It will only perform its rated spec for a few seconds before quickly slowing down. It doesn't end up much faster than SATA for typical use.

>What about a SATA M.2 drive?
like the one in OP's pic?

>inb4 op is actually using m2 though a SATA interface.

Considering that SATA III is 6.0 Gbps (which is plenty fast btw) while your LAN is only 1 Gbps I'd be more apt to upgrade the LAN over the Sata if speed was an issue.

Oh wait, 10GB network ain't at consumer level prices yet (by consumer level I'm referring to the day I can walk into a walmart and see them offering 10GB networking shit)

Anymore that's your biggest bottleneck. With internet speeds only going up soon 1GB at the home will be here quicker than you think

im actually using this with primocache

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301393

Attached: image_by_ilovepuppys0417-d68s08o.jpg (902x608, 270K)

m2 drives are cute!!! cuuuuuute!

Attached: chrome_2019-04-25_18-45-57.png (796x478, 826K)

>make up in the back
proof m.2 is for trannies

thats a color coordinator card for cameras
quit sipping the Jow Forums kool-aid

Attached: ColorChecker100423.jpg (1024x745, 53K)

Am a trannie and I love m.2 so sure

In my line of work I have found those things were a nightmare to deal with in HP zbooks (they used sandisk brand). Because of such high failure rate, loss of date and ordering replacement from HP I was forced to replace them with normal 2.5 SSD drives in all the units.
Personally I still like the 2.5 drives, with the correct PC setup you can swap out as desired without having to open a case or fuck with cables. See pic, I have mentioned it before in other threads but it has made my life a shit ton easier when updating or making changes since I only have to mess with the slot in the front of the PC.

Attached: Icy Dock DVD and 2 drives.png (1570x559, 191K)

>It doesn't end up much faster than SATA for typical use.
Still faster than anything SATA, even when throttling or when the cache is full.
Also the "M.2 drive under the GPU" is a meme, they won't go over 70C when you have a heatsink on them, even under a GPU. 70C is the temperature they would throttle.

>network is your greatest bottleneck
But I'm not using a thin client.

Oof the post.

There is *literally* no difference between modern M.2 SATA SSDs and 2.5" SATA SSDs, the 2.5" drives are mostly empty inside, *exactly* the same controller chips and NAND.

NVMe uses different controller that runs like with 5x less power than the SATA one, thus even runs cooler and lasts longer. The NAND is usually the same though, the bottleneck with SATA is the protocol, not the NAND or controller.

has any m.2 drive died on you?
have you met the write/read limit of any of them to get them to lock down blocks to be read only?

Attached: nasa.webm (360x696, 137K)

true that they throttle after six sec under full load, but 6sec = 19.2gb of read data so i have no clue what you need to do use that much

Attached: d567852bc4294f8608ab821b8f9fb5fa5a48d95b_hq.jpg (650x449, 63K)

does intel make the best NVME ssds?

Attached: 1551405723910.webm (320x180, 2.75M)

You can by PCIe 10GbE ethernet controllers here in the Walmart equivalent store for 70 euros.
They also have 10GbE switches and routers, all that work with RJ45. Don't really see what this has to do with local storage speed though, only related to network storage, most of the world still have 10Mbps internet.

SATA is slow, you realize that 6.0 Gbps is only 600 MB/s?
Speed isn't even the biggest issue, it's IOPS. Loading programs off a SATA SSD vs NVMe SSD, the difference is noticeable. Specially when you're doing disk access heavy workloads, that's where the IOPS really shine.

The sound make it even better

>have you met the write/read limit of any of them to get them to lock down blocks to be read only?
You know how near impossible this is unless your purposely trying to kill one?

Just saying on the zbook series these 256 GB m.2 NVMe were unstable as hell. Like you couldnt trust them lasting more than 6 months before the drive was jacked and no way to recover because of encryption. Not sure if laptop design or cooling fault but once swapped to 2.5 sata Sandisk they were rock solid laptops since.

>You can by PCIe 10GbE ethernet controllers here in the Walmart equivalent store for 70 euros.
its like 100+ for us mericans
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320272&Description=10gbe nic&cm_re=10gbe_nic-_-33-320-272-_-Product

>too expensive to be used as secondary storage
>too slow to be used as primary storage
Literally nothing

Only have 2.5" SATA SSDs fail on me, ones I've bought in 2010 and 2011.
Still have PCIe SSDs and 2.5" SSDs from 2011 that work fine, most of them cheap shit.

With the TBW on modern drives, unless it's a factory controller failure, it's gonna take a while before you see people who have had M.2 drives fail, doesn't matter if SATA or NVMe.

because I made the mistake of going mATX and only have the one slot

datacenters reach it after a few months apparently

Literally the same one

Attached: file.png (1241x437, 75K)

Depends on the drives used. SSDs have different designs when it comes to enterprise hardware. Basically why consumer or mid level SSD can hold information without power for about 2 years. While Enterprise grade SSD can lose data if not powered after 7 days to a few months.

It's cheaper if you don't go for some meme brand like Asus
amazon.com/Aquantia-NIC-5-speed-Ethernet-Network/dp/B07B3G4S4J

Is your PC part of a data center then where write limits would actually be a concern? I would guess probably not
Also I'm suspect of SSDs dying only after a few months as TBW goes way into the petabyte range

I dunno about you all, but to me te difference between a SATA SSD with an M.2 SSD is laughable. I don't feel a difference when I'm passing shit between either. Both are so fast I can't even tell the difference.

>It's cheaper if you don't go for some meme brand like Asus
Keep away for cheap no name network gear.

There is none. The difference only exists if you use SATA vs NVMe.
2.5" SATA vs M.2 SATA is the same thing, obviously you won't notice a difference.

depending on drive, you get between 10 and 30 seconds before they throttle, at 3gb thats upwards 90gb read or 30gb written.
said drives will likely never be used that hard, and if they were going to be used that hard, you bought the wrong format.

they don't respond well to abrupt power offs, not necessarily just reboots. this is something that needs to be dealt with as haveing a 30gb archive fuck itself hard due to a shutdown was not acceptable. I solved it with a ups.

Shows how much of a brand whore you are.
The Asus and Aquantia are the same shit, both have a Aquantia AQC107 chipset, the only difference between the Aquantia card vs the Asus card is you're not paying the Asus tax with the Aquantia

>depending on drive, you get between 10 and 30 seconds before they throttle, at 3gb thats upwards 90gb read or 30gb written.
>said drives will likely never be used that hard, and if they were going to be used that hard, you bought the wrong format.
The general argument was that even the cheapest NVMe drive, while throttling or having it's cache full, will perform with higher bandwidth and IOPS than a SATA one, which is true.

The problem isn't the chipset. It's warranty and quality control. Aquantias own non-enterprise gear is dogshit. Literally selling off shit that didn't pass QC for enterprise use.

Shows how much of a gullible sheep you are.

while thats true, there is also the problem that most programs do not respond/work faster on an nvme compared to sata.
there are exceptions, but overwhelming majority its exactly the same.

the problem is that a good sata drive costs just as much as a good nvme, so the reason to get sata over nvme comes down to what you need. in my case, if I used the other nvme slot, I would loose 2-4 sata ports, I forget which, and that could be used for more sata ssds or hdds, possibly even raiding the sata ssds and using it as an I dont give a fuck drive.

Don't do shutdowns, do a reboot if you have a system freeze. If you want to force power off, also do a reboot before doing a shutdown.
Cutting off power while it's active is bad, a reboot will make it's flush its cache before powering it off.

Of course, best if you just normally shut down, but system freezes do happen.

True that. No argument there.
I even myself use a NVMe drive as the system/boot drive and 4 SATA SSDs in RAID 0 for local storage.

>Aquantias own non-enterprise gear is dogshit. Literally selling off shit that didn't pass QC for enterprise use.
You actually have anything to back that up?

Only reason I bought a m.2 drive was to put it on a PCIe card. The m.2 interface is useless, especially when some boards share its bandwidth with some SATA ports.

I have an ups. System froze completely no response to keyboard or ssh so I had to press reset on case. But come one, being this sensitive to power outage is rediculous. I had sata hdd dropped during writing and it got some bad sectors but successfully remaped them and it's alive for 3 years now with no increasing number of bad sectors. Virgin pci-e nvme vs Chad sata hdd

for me its a cost vs benefit thing. I would have gotten a sata ssd, but when it turned out that sata cost as much as nvme (good to good) I said fuck it and went nvme. when I got a corrupt archive, that was push I needed to pull the trigger on a ups, wanted one for a long time, but the need was never there, nvme fucking itself on a small brown out on the first day the ground froze over, that was the push needed

Do a reboot, not a shutdown. How hard is that to understand. Imidiet power loss is also a problem on SATA SSDs, but they are directly connected to the PSU and retain power slightly longer, instead of being on the motherboard and sharing it's power rail.
I have a NVMe SSD that's 18 months old and so is the Windows installation on it, I used to do a lot of RAM, GPU and CPU overclocking and testing, I've probably restarted it a few hundred times after it has locked up and the installation on it is working just fine.

ITT Brainlets can't seperate physical connection standards from data bus standards
>hurr m.2 is faster than sata 3
>a mile is bigger than a month

What are you talking about? How am I supposed to reboot a frozen system when it doesn't respond to keyboard and ssh?

By pressing the restart button. It won't power cycle the whole system, so the SSD can flush it's cache.

Dude, that's what I did. It took pressing restart button 3 timves over 6 months to kill nvme. I have sata m2 tho, it was fine for the first year but it started to fail now and sometimes mobo doesn't see it.

Sounds more like a problem with the drive itself, loss of power won't do that, maybe factory defective controller.
All modern SSDs have around 5 years of warranty, make a backup and contact your retailer about it.

Yeah, they returned my money. I know there are faulty hdds as well, but hey one of my m2 was faulty/died withing 6 months and other m2 lasted a year of mild usage and became faulty. Writing speeds are fantastic indeed but they have to do something with m2's reliability.

>M.2
Have fun finding and trying to mount that tiny locking screw for the 10000th time

Attached: 1418094585804.jpg (535x462, 34K)

That does suck. I only have one (NVMe) and it's from 2017, no problems. My sample size is too small to comment on this.

People who used miniPCI and mSATA are used to it.

Those were strictly laptop form factors. No reason to be putting up with that nonsense on a desktop mobo.

Attached: 1394855284601.gif (275x154, 1.83M)

The screw should be in the motherboard unless you are installing a driver. If you lose it the instant you take it out then you should have parental guidance when working with small parts.

Of course, U.2 makes more sense on desktop. Even horizontal M.2.

>Those were strictly laptop form factors.
Lol, no. They showed up in small form factor appliances as well.

>you should have parental guidance when working with small parts.
Wouldn't it be awkward to have your parents around when masturbating?

Because the difference in real world usage is negligible, not nearly enough to pay the premium f or NVMe storage.
All my large files are stored on HDDs so transfer speed of larger files is irrelevant.

Probably. But that's his problem.

this actually this i got a 512gb nvme and pci card years ago for my x58 xeon and it could not boot and i could side chain a boot from a sata too. The BIOS tweaking threads i read were opaque at best and made me nervous. Tried shoving it in my macbook air too and it didnt like it either so at the moment its just in a USB 3 enclousre and is just basically a super fast pen drive with a few VMs images and OS's on it

i figure the form factor is more useful in its sata form since not a lot of people have spare pci lanes, especially people with discrete GPUs in their systems taking up the 16 lanes.

still though, not a lot of chipsets add additional lanes for nvmes on top of a GPU i dont think

I'm comfy with my i9-7900x's 44 lanes but the math and slot-usage gets tricky with other mobos, especially with xeons

My 850pro sata is still kicking it. Waiting on next gen pcie 4.0 m.2 before I upgrade.

No M.2 slots on my mobo + don't wanna have to buy an adapter + no free pcie slots anyway.

My i5 2500k doesn't have those slots only sata3 ports

Even the shittiest Ryzen has 16 lanes for GPU and 4 lanes for NVMe

>startech
>USB m.2
Hows all that reduced throughput and performance bottlenecks working out for you?

I never fail to be amazed at the fact that the US power grid is so fragile that people need to use UPS to save their electronics. Those things are completely unheard of here in Germany, but then again, we have like 1 blackout / 20 years.

On AMD hardware, you'll be hard pressed to run into PCIe lane bottlenecks. But on Intel boards, it is a wonder they don't gimp the 16 lanes to the GPU to cut costs and earn more shekels

BEGONE AMD SHILL

Attached: 2Z3oG.jpg (1920x1080, 338K)

>On AMD hardware
Not really, with a decent high end Ryzen config, you'll have around 28 PCIe lanes to use.
With TR, 60 from the CPU alone, more than most people know to do with.

That is what I said. Did you read my post?

Dude 20GB is jack shit in data terms when you're doing actual work.

Came here to post this. OP is a fucking retard

No. Shut the fuck up. M.2 can use SATA. What you are describing is NVMe.

SATA is a phisycal spec, just like M.2
NVMe and AHCI are data specs

SATA is a transfer protocol, nothing more. M.2 is a physical form factor for an physical interface.

NVMe is a transfer protocol, AHCI is an API.

You really are pretty fucking stupid, seriously.

I just bough most of my components yesterday. Dude sold me on the intel ssd6 m.2. Said it was somewhere around 3 times the speed of sata. What exactly will this benefit me with?

Then what is SATA's phisical interface called?

Faster copying(maybe)??

>eSATA
>mSATA
>SATA Express
>SlimLine SATA
or
>***SATA***

2.5" drive