Let's talk about: Shells!

So let's talk about shells! We all have them, so let's discuss, Jow Forums!
Some shells:
Bash is what you're probably using right now. It's made by GNU and is based on the UNIX Bourne Shell
Korn Shell is another UNIX shell that people really liked, so someone made a public domain clone at one point, which eventually got forked into mksh and openBSD's ksh
Eventually the original UNIX ksh got released to the public under the eclipse license, and it actually has some interesting features in its current state like a weird numbered list-like tab completion and floating point arithmetic. You can find it as ksh93
Zsh is a more modern take with a ton of extra features. A favorite of ricerfags, you can get some really unique prompts for it through configuration or Oh My Zsh.
ash is a very tiny POSIX-strict shell that you can currently find as a part of busybox. There's also a version called Dash that Debian and Ubuntu use for their shell scripts due to it being incredibly fast and light. It has no history or tab completion though, so it's not meant to be an interactive shell.
rc is the shell from plan 9, which you can get on *nix systems nowadays. There's also an extended version called es
Ion is a shell written entirely in Rust. Developed for RedoxOS, you can of course use it on any other OS. It deviates from POSIX a fair bit, but claims to be even faster than Dash while still being usable interactively.

Attached: Terminal-icon.png (1024x1024, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xon.sh
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1786
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1439
github.com/TidOS/gshell
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>google ion shell
>the repo has fucking emojis in the git commit messages
>the dev uses VSCode in a tiling WM

rust was a mistake

I am using zsh with oh-my-zsh, actually.

Attached: 1555587020650.png (615x720, 341K)

>the developer added some flair to their commits
>they use an editor i do not like and especially in a tiling wm
>therefore the programming language is bad

Attached: 1495789837136.jpg (638x746, 69K)

Also, shame on OP for not even mentioning it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190426-011908.png (1080x1920, 96K)

>zsh user
>posting an anime trap
sounds about right.

I recently discovered xonsh and it's fucking incredibe.

xon.sh

Literally just Python in a shell, you can combine commands with bash seamlessly though. I find it especially useful for programming and ctf's when I find myself frequently having to open ipython to test something or parse a file etc. Now I can just do it directly.

Interesting find!

Should mention eshell too. Its really useful when working with Wamgblows machines.

where's fish retard

ohmyzsh is bloat

Any graphical shells like temple's?

Fish for interactivity.
Dash for scripts.

Bash is bloated, slow and non-functional.

Fish as an interactive shell and dash as a backend. What else could you ever need?

Attached: 1511061685773.jpg (232x293, 11K)

>skips history lesson on csh/tcsh and why you shouldn't use it
>skips more modern shells like powershell and elvish so he can shill some obscure rust shell nobody uses
>skips talking about how perl, python, and ruby emerged from shell programming

KDE is my favorite shell

KDE is a nice shell, but I prefer the official Linux shell, gnome.

I use bash because i'm not a retarded nigger gorilla monkey.

>unga bunga me bash liek forefathers did
If you wouldn't be a nigger you'd be more open to the idea of trying out new things, Tyrone.

openbsd-ksh on OpenBSD, mksh on the rest, and sh for scripts

how the fuck do terminal emulators work?
if it's emulating the terminal, wheres the real terminal, and how does it do all the things a terminal can???

Attached: 1554248968644.png (470x556, 236K)

>why are you assuming someone is retarded just because they act like it?
they're emulating hardware terminals

>hardware terminals
where can i access the hardware terminal?
and how can i access hardware? shouldn't it be software?

It sad to see juniors coming in to our department and some fag shoves his oh-my-zsh up their ass and then they have no idea how to control their shell, environment, .profile, and hitting return several times induces a noticeable delay in their terminal's output.
Good job faggots, you managed to make a terminal slow.

Those emulators are emulating these things.

Attached: images.jpg (300x266, 20K)

Absolutely based

In the beginning, there were Teletype devices. i.e. printers. You hit keystrokes, the computer printed shit back at you.
Later, some wizards figured out CRTs but didn't want to break backwards compatibility, so the terminal device emulated the printer. That's how the OS saw it and interacted with it.
Later X was implemented in the same way, by letting the OS "print" the pixels on the screen.
Then you needed terminal emulators inside X, so the OS runs some wacky master slave setup where the slave is the graphical terminal you're seeing, the master is what actually does the work, and it all emulates a function.
printf has *print* in its name for a reason.

Powershell

Powershell is bloat, default DOS/Windows shell is light, starts instantly and does exactly what it needs to do. .BAT >>>>> .PS1

and how much math does it involve? btw you have extremely high iq

I use bash because I'm not retarded. I script in bash/sh, and this means anytime I can whip up a one-liner on the terminal without a second thought due to familiarity. With some special snowflake shell like fish, which didn't even support && until recently, you can't.
But there are even worse shells, like the Rust one mention here, or that Python shell which doesn't even support $var variable syntax because it uses, well, Python.

>without a second thought due to familiarity
In other words, you are target demographic of Microsoft products.
Learned something in the beginning and everything else is frightening and hard to understand.

Judging by your own words you're more of a "lol imma copy that off stackoveflow" than "I script" type of guy. I've had this problem maybe 2 times in 3 years of me using fish, and even then I just did bash --norc, execute commands, ctrl d back into fish, big fucking deal.
The addition of && is welcome, though, original fish syntax is retarded.

>in a thread about shells I'm somehow a microsoft user
Nice baseless fallacy. I use a shell as an everyday tool, not as some ricer gimmick. Busybox systems ship with ash, good luck navigating your way through a terminal when you're dependent on some snowflake config and shell.

Just look at this garbage, 2018 and still figuring out process substitution: github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1786
Why anyone would want to learn X shell's special snowflake syntax only for it to be broken and unusable is beyond me. Just ricer faggots who can't stand sane defaults because they want to stand out. Same with all the rust-rewrites - just use standard Coreutils grep, not ripgrep nor xirgrep nor any other flavor-of-the-month implementation.

>I'm somehow a microsoft user
No, but you evidently lack basic reading comprehension.

github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1439
>fish has no subshell functionality
>subshell syntax like in normal shells is instead used for process substitution, which is itself broken
Nobody who uses this scripts in it. What a joke. But tell me again why I should use this garbage over tried and proven Bash.

>scripting in an interactive mode, ever
Nigger, please stop. Nobody ever said you should use fish as an interpreter, it's obviously not made for this.

Fish in cygwin

A for loop globbing files in the current directory is scripting. Pipes and parsing output is scripting. Proper shells are absolutely designed for interpreted use. With fish I wouldn't even dare type rm much less do anything dangerous with loops and pipes and variables and redirection of output when the possible sides effects from a poorly-designed piece of shit shell are unknown.

oh-my-zsh a shit

Sorry, I should've said complex scripting.
If I ever need to write something relatively complex I just open vim, write my shit there and execute it from inside the buffer without the need to write it.
Simple stuff works and that's enough for interactive use.

This is why no one likes boomers.

>teletype printers, early crts
must have been great back in the wild west of computing, now all we have to look forward to is javascript everything

I can see your argument for bash and familiarity when you're in interactive mode, that you can use the same line to iterate through a folder you wrote in interactive mode in your scripts. But I don't like the feeling of being stuck in this mindset of "this is the default so I'll stick with that", it's just pandering to authority.
That said ripgrep is objectively better than grep in most cases, can't say the same thing for any of the new shells when compared to bash though.

false

So essentially what you're saying is that modern Linux systems are using monitors as virtual printers and just printing 60+ pages per second?

if you use anything other than bash (or sh if you have to) you are basically autistic

she sells sea shells on the sea shore
but the shells she sells are not the sea shells

Those were wild days. But think about what we have now - it's all a hack and backwards compatibility all the way back to the 60s.
yes

Rest assured. Give it a decade or two, and people will look at our times declaring them the "wild west of computing".

"What!? They were posting without identifying themselves beyond their IP?"
Don't like where this is going, but knowing our political systems, it will probably happen.
I hope the EU elections next month will give them a massive wake-up slap, but the media have already started preparations for that, so they won't have to wake up.
It will probably be made Russia's fault that EPP and S&D get crushed. "We did nothing wrong. Our people were misguided by foreign perpetrators!" Fuck current times, and fuck politicians.

I can't decide between fish and zsh
Are their Oh My' versions really bloat?
What about fizsh? (Both combined)?

Attached: 1555497765674.jpg (768x1024, 94K)

fish is zsh for children

so yeah get zsh

Is it true that oh my zsh is a bloated gimmick? That's the only thing left for me to decide

yes

Basic sh shell. Portability is king.

zsh + oh my zsh
Automates the boring stupid shit like remembering commands and previous commands, autocomplete and spell/typo checks etc.

With plugins I just type "rails " and hit tab to see all commands

Zsh is ricer bullshit that has worse defaults than out of the box.
Fish is usable ootb and has features that zsh users would have to install and configure themselves only to get halfassed buggy piece of shit, but it also isn't POSIX compatible and has shit syntax.

How brainlet you are? Just put few commands in bashrc/zshrc and you will get same result w/o 10Gs of shit.

>worse defaults than
bash
Also forgot to add that both oh-my distributions are garbage.

Can someone with more shell knowledge than I benchmark Dash against Ion? Wanna see if the Rusttoddlers are BTFO or not

Attached: u7b9yxeqdnhy.jpg (700x575, 59K)

Anyone using the rc shell? It is an absolute pleasure to script in it.

Someone's bloat is another man's feature. You could also try zprezto for zsh. I personally use them.

No clue about fizsh.

I don't want to do that, I want to put "plugins(elixir ruby rails javascript autosuggest)" and be done with it.

Not everyone spends their time wasting their time

bump

fish
/thread

I'm not a ricer, and I'm too lazy to give up my bashism.

So for me it's bash for scripting shit and for my main shell.

Friendly I N T E R A C T I V E shell

g should make a shell

It would be called "gas"

>2019
>he doesn't use three shells

Attached: 89xNY.jpg (500x259, 113K)

That's the GNU assembler.

Jow Forumsshell
github.com/TidOS/gshell
Use and r8

>//loop back and forth...forever
))((

>tfw still use toilet paper instead of 3 shells. Like a cave person.

SOTYAY

Attached: blue_shell.png (185x185, 38K)

>2019
>using filthy toilet instead of clean shitting street