I am the user who fucked up his motherboard after bios update

I am the user who fucked up his motherboard after bios update.

Looks like I need to flash bios with a programmer.

Does anyone know where the bios chip is on my motherboard?

Attached: IMG_20190427_210213.jpg (3120x4160, 1.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/575521/MCNIX/MX25L6473E.html
techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/12230-some-guide-how-to-use-spi-programmer-ch341a/
ru.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Smart-Electronics-CH340-CH340G-CH341-CH341A-24-25-Series-EEPROM-Flash-BIOS-USB-Programmer-with/32725360255.html?
vdhout.nl/tag/ch341a
github.com/corna/me_cleaner/wiki/me_cleaner-on-a-MSI-H110M-ECO
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes, the bios chip is under that msi logo in the bottom right, you'll need to remove it.

did you try turning it off and turning it on again?

Good advice.

It's one of the SOIC 8 chips. Could be the one right next to the chipset but I can't see the writing because the picture was taken with a potato.

CH341a with a SOIC 8 clip and the BIOS/UEFI from the MSI website is enough.

This one?

Attached: IMG_20190427_211502.jpg (4160x3120, 1.88M)

Don't listen to this guy you will kill your mobo

did you try recharging the capacitors via static charge?

Check the part numbers on pic related op, see if they match known bios chips.

Attached: mb1.jpg (3120x4160, 2.35M)

The text on the chip

Attached: IMG_20190427_212151.jpg (4160x3120, 681K)

Macronix part number. First one. That should be it.

alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/575521/MCNIX/MX25L6473E.html

techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/12230-some-guide-how-to-use-spi-programmer-ch341a/

The top one is fan controller. Dont know what the bottom one, the text is too small and google doesnt suggest anything.

Attached: IMG_20190427_212748.jpg (3120x4160, 729K)

Read you fuck. You already got the answer. No more hunting for the flash chip.

Thanks user!

WiIl this programmer work?

I posted it before saw the post. Calm your tits, please

It should. Alternatively you can use flashrom and a raspberry pi with the chip.

Alternatively you have the JSPI1 header on the board. You can probably flash it with that. That eliminates the needs of the clip but you will need wires. You just need to find the pinout for MOSI, MISO and the other shit.

I mean this one
ru.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Smart-Electronics-CH340-CH340G-CH341-CH341A-24-25-Series-EEPROM-Flash-BIOS-USB-Programmer-with/32725360255.html?

Forgot to post the link

It says it has some MX chips support but I didn't find mine.

vdhout.nl/tag/ch341a

And pinout for JSPI1: github.com/corna/me_cleaner/wiki/me_cleaner-on-a-MSI-H110M-ECO

Thanks again. user!

Many motherboards have a way to reflash firmware in case of failed firmware upgrades.

If it doesn't. RMA it, do not ever mentioned you failed to flash your BIOS. Just say it died on you. Do not ever do anything to your motherboard that visibly voids the warranty (remove chips, remove stickers, make cracks or dents, spill anything on it).

Assuming you live in a country that have consumer protection beyond warranty, or you're still within warranty.

Fuck off with your fancy dual bioses and usb flashbacks. You need to pay extra for those and you won't find them on mindrange and entry level board.

Now kindly KYS.

Anyway... MSI will do the same procedure. They gonna reflash the BIOS. Plus you don't have to wait weeks.

My cheap shit Asus boards have had BIOS recovery, without fancy features like dual bios or usb flashbacks. I would check if MSI does too, before doing anything that can potentially make it worse.

I've RMAd stuff before due to failed firmware upgrades. Never mentioned it was a failed BIOS upgrade that broke the board, just that the computer was completely dead.

Don't know about desktop motherboards, but laptops can be tricky to reflash since you have to flash a specific area of the chip, so that the original IME stuff is kept. Without IME the system will not work at all.

Nobody cares about your ASUS board. Nobody cares about your RMAd stuff.

You are on Jow Forums. If you are incapable of reflashing a flash chip yourself you shouldn't post in this thread.

lol

Asus, Lenovo, and many others have just sent me and my customers refurb or brand new boards. Never seen a reflash. It can take weeks if OP have to buy tools and equipment to perform the flash too.

I doubt people posting above is capable of flashing a modern motherboard without fucking up the system further.

Nobody said you must buy the shit from china. You can buy the thing locally. You can use the tools in the future for other boards as well.

There is documentation and if you cannot read you might be an analphabet or have dyslexia or maybe turbo autism. Even a 12 year old can figure it out.

You make the connection, you backup chip, erase, flash the factory bios without touching ME if it's an intel board. You can use me_cleaner on the BIOS and your system will boot. That's what System76 do to their shit and that's how they sell machines with ME disabled.

Great. Package it in a way so OP can perform this task without fucking it up, and so he can understand the entire process and why it must be done that way.

I'm just giving OP an option which is to RMA the board if it is still within warranty or covered by consumer laws. Also ask to investigate other means of restoring the firmware, since many boards (even cheap shit ones) have recovery features. I guess in this thread, you must do so in the most elite way possible, without ever investigating other means of getting an issue resolved.

The funny thing, guys, this motherboard came to me DOA so I had to wait for a month until they send me new. (I ordered it in a Germany shop and I live in Russia). and flashing bios bricked it too. So don't buy MSI motherboards guys.

Except he's in Russia where laws mean nothing. Where is the learning process if you RMA something that you can legit fix yourself? Sometimes I don't get people. You think you live in a perfect world where every manufacturer will fix your board without any questions asked or putting the blame on you.

This is a simple flashing. Nothing can go wrong assuming the board worked before flashing. If there's already hardware damage a flash won't do anything. You will have the same BIOS on your flash and your system won't boot. So you investigate more and check power supply, RAM and other components. Now please stop and let OP decide what he wants to do because you don't know how urgent he needs his machine back up and running.

Sounds like the only decision you want OP to make is to flash it himself. You don't sound like you want anyone to give OP any other options.

Me personally would not bother with spending time, effort, and money on something that can be solved with an RMA, and manufacturers typically only refuse RMA only when it is obvious that the issue was caused by the user. They'll need physical damage as proof if the customer never admits to anything. I'll fix it myself only if the device is no longer covered by warranty.

>imagine being this mad for having bought consumerist grade shit

You act very entitled for fucking up your BIOS in the first place, mouthbreather.

Also connecting a programmer clip to a raspberry and run someone's tool isn't exactly anything that make you "intelligent", even a retarded Russian could do this.

I'm fine without those features. They are just memes for kids. I got a free MSI Z170A Gayming 5 board and even that doesn't have dual bios or bios recovery. So I don't know...

>retarded russian

That's rude, user...

Attached: 15443763713710.jpg (2560x1920, 1.03M)

Some of them are okay, like Putin and that gay chess player.

That looks like a good fucking dinner. Salmon toasts, yes please!

You must be some kind of cuck who's not aware of protocols like SPI and open source software like flashrom. So keep RMAing the products you don't know how to use, let alone fix if you brick them. You probably still need help when you wipe your ass also.

If you are incompetent you deserve all the hate.

>literally links a raspberry flashing manual above
>i'm n-not retarded!
chuckled

Because it was easier than mentioning how to connect pins and provide a step by step guide for a person who never did this. It's a waste of time on my side especially if he ends up with an RMA. Looking things up is not retarded. Not doing it is though.

Knowing when it's time to stop caring is an essential life skill on Jow Forums

And thus this thread can be archived.

Am I the only one here who actually noticed the JSPI header in this picture ? You can use this header to flash the bios instead of (replacing/taping-on with a clip) the bios chip itself.

All you need now is a CH341A spi flasher (4$ on ebay) and some cables. Use a live-linux on a diferent computer and you are golden. dopn't bother with a raspbery-pi even if you already have one, it's overly complicated for nothing.

Also, you can use your programer and soic-8 clip if you have one to do a bios-mod on a X230 thinkpad.

CTRL+F JSPI1

I posted without reading half the posts...
Anyway, lots of good info here.

If you librebooted thinkpads you have the right tools already.