Nearly 10 years later

>nearly 10 years later
>Apple still the only company to perfect retina on the desktop
What went wrong?

hanselman.com/blog/LivingAHighDPIDesktopLifestyleCanBePainful.aspx

Attached: selection.png (2810x2802, 1.34M)

Microsoft can’t be arsed to fix something if they are still making millions off of it.

I really like that image so smooth and that shadow...

>(((hanselman)))

OS X scaling is crap too. The only, I repeat, THE ONLY operating system in existence that has proper scaling is Android. Well, maybe also chrome os, haven't checked it out yet.

Retina doesn't mean anything

>Calling high dpi screens retina

iToddler gtfo

>January 15, 2014

Fucking retard Apple shill, go back to your shithole.

>nearly 10 years later
>mactoddlers still shit in the street
What went wrong?

Attached: 1529679273785.png (662x580, 126K)

Proper scaling requires support from the UI framework applications use
The last good UI framework Microsoft made was WinForms
WinForms was not creating with scaling in mind

>wasting screen real estate for muh bigger buttons n shieeet
why do mactoddlers do this?

>perfect retina on the desktop
Even if you tried, you couldn't be more wrong.

But that's okay, you're only a NI/g/Jow ForumsER after all.

Attached: apple 9to5 cattlemember.jpg (92x92, 2K)

because you don't actually have more real estate, just more pixels
If you had everything at 1:1 it would be unreadable because it would be so small. By your logic every font on your screen should be at 5 pt and all icons should be 8x8 because everything else is wasting screen real estate.

>implying it matters for pointless shit like buttons, icons, window frames etc
you can adjust the font size for anything you actually have to read

fuck that looks awful.

>By your logic every font on your screen should be at 5 pt and all icons should be 8x8 because everything else is wasting screen real estate.
shut the fuck up, retard. what a ridiculous argument.

it does. retina is a specific pixel density ratio set by apple that is meant to represent the density at which the eye can no longer determine individual pixels (at a normal viewing distance)

op really gonna post an article from fucking 2014 trashing on windows for being bad at something they've made the most universal improvement in in the past 3 years
this bait is expired

Attached: 1556397756561.png (400x400, 172K)

It really isn't. Trying to see tiny text on a 4k screen is pain. Especially as there is going to be a continuous push for higher resolutions, being able to scale the UI will be something that will become increasingly urgent.

>uses shitty low DPI screen
>shit looks like shit, how that can be?
It's like wincucks just can't stop slurping semen

my office workstation runs windows with two monitors, one of them high-dpi. there are minor issues but it's mostly fine

>>Apple still the only company to perfect retina on the desktop
Retina™ is an Apple™ trademark, so other companies can't "perfect" Retina™ because they can't use it.

>using dpi when talking about screens

You need to go back

>What went wrong?
Microsoft went with a long ass roundabout way to have flexible scaling. It looks awful.

On the other side with integer scaling as an example.
AMD said no to Integer scaling and GPU level scaling believing it would be done properly by Microsoft.
Nvidia put their time and effort into making DSR instead and appear to have no interest in integer scaling/proper scaling at the driver level.

Flat panel displays have been king for well over a decade and not one company wants to take on the challenge of fixing scaling. Monitor manufacturers, GPU designers and Microsoft. At least Apple got this one thing right.

>Retina™ is an Apple™ trademark, so other companies can't "perfect" Retina™ because they can't use it.
Evading Apple Trade Marks is just normal business for outfits like Microsoft and Samsung. It's how the do R&D.

>OS X scaling is crap too
No it's not

That's literally what you're arguing for. You think high PPI is a "waste of space", so naturally you must think 12pt fonts are also a waste of space.

>turn scaling up to 1.5x
>this happens
What a joke, bug reports for years and microsoft can't fix shit.

Attached: 8abb37f9-4577-4e3d-8444-4052823840f8.png (522x667, 22K)

mate can i ask what version of windows are you running

I'm not trying to defend microshit, but fractional scaling is a fundamentally flawed concept.
Fractional-pixels don't exist, so things are always going to look awful.

>1.5x
What a stupid scaling factor. Does macOS even support something that dumb? I think the only thing I've seen actually work with fractional scaling is Wayland.

Wayland doesn't support fractional scaling either, at least not in the protocol.
Compositors just scale that shit themselves, and it almost always looks awful, especially with text involved. The consensus is to use integer scaling and then fluff around with the font size to get the scaling you really want, since text is usually vector-based and can scale to any size.

>Wayland doesn't support fractional scaling either, at least not in the protocol.
So is that just a gnome thing then?

I don't actually know the details of what gnome it doing, but they're not using the core Wayland protocol for that information. I also think it involves messing around with Xwayland's DPI settings.
I think their approach has some issues, such as hotplugging mixed-DPI monitors doesn't work properly.

>Microsoft can’t be arsed to fix something if they are still making millions off of it.
Microsoft can't be arsed to make millions off of products if they're holding gold in their hands but isn't integrated into the Windows ecosystem.

1.25 and 1.5 work fine on my machine

Well if you JUST changed it then yeah it's glitchy. You need a reboot for it to work.

MacOS renders the image at 2x and then downsamples that 2x render to the screen resolution.
So if you run a rMBP at 4k, it'll render a 1920x1200 high PPI workspace, and then downsample it down to the 2880x1800 screen resolution.
It's blurrier than true fractional scaling, but has none of the bugs. And even with the blur it's still far sharper than a low PPI display.

epbp

Nope, occurs even after reboot. That's not a screenshot I took but one I found online of someone with the same issue. This bug seems to not be deterministic.

In fact, it occured at the default setting and I had to turn the setting down as a workaround. I simplified the story to make greentexting easier.

Actually you're probably right. I think 150% works and I was confused with 175%, which breaks. Another workaround is disabling "display window contents while dragging."

Windows 10