/tpg/ - TrapCode General

Previous Thread:

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: tripcode_thinkpads.jpg (1269x663, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/New-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8260-Intel-IT-8260HMW-8260D2W-2-4G-5Ghz-802-11ac-867Mbps/32857170708.html
termbin.com/e16a
github.com/lenzj/libreboot-splash
pcsupport.lenovo.com/fi/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t480s-type-20l7-20l8/downloads
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lolis

I've been looking for a Wi-Fi card to upgrade my T420 (I have coreboot installed, so whitelist isn't an issue for me) and I've stumbled upon these Ultimate-AC 7260 cards. The weird thing is that 7260 is also the model name of older cards that only go up to 802.11n.
Intel claims in their datasheets that the ac version was manufactured only in m.2 form factor, one specific model being 7260HWM. The weird thing is that there are some shops selling a card with that model name on a half-size miniPCIe board that would fit my T420. I'm concerned that someone got a hold of n cards and stuck legit-looking labels on them to fool gullible people. The sad part is that I already have an Ultimate-N 6300 which is superior in 802.11n (3x3 > 2x2), so getting the n version of 7260 would be a downgrade from an already shitty card (peaks ~55mbps @5GHz for me, which is painful to use).
Has anyone used one of these miniPCIe 7260HMW cards and can vouch that they actually support 802.11ac? I don't want to get chinked with fake hardware.

hey trip, you're so cute c: how are you doing

Anyone remember that one doujin where the MC convinces his cute male roommate to go on a pretend date with him dressed as a girl and the roommate gets carried away and they have sex in a photo booth?
I like to imagine tripcode-kun is that roommate.

Attached: 1548499011520.jpg (324x282, 30K)

based tripcode

I have the 1680x1050 screen, so while I'll miss comfy 16:10, I'm not going to feel the loss as badly as our WUXGA comrades. Do you have the 1920x1200 panel in yours?

It really saddens me, because while some people were able to get the graphics card working on the initial release of Windows 10, the subsequent updates have broken them again. I would use the integrated graphics exclusively but I hear that Win10 breaks a bunch of other shit on the xx00 series. I could be wrong on this, though.

Different user, but yes, I have the 1200p display.
I tried to use LTSB on it, but it messes up with the brightness adjustments, ending up more dim that it usually is. As expected I had the same issue with my T400 too.

Link?

Attached: sample-8eced447a22ce9a6b3976b63f1e46efc.jpg (727x1000, 103K)

Are the AMD Thinkpads good? Seems like most don't really talk about those.
god I wish that were me

You're messing up Hirshimoot's ebin plan to make more than 2rmb a day in add revenue

The old ones are super shit
The new ones are better but not the greatest right now, AMD's power consumption is pretty bad compared to intel's energy efficient U series chips you find in most new pads, that and the fact that they're a side line compared to the main ones at the minute with a consummate step down in aftermarket availability make them not really worth looking at unless you get a knockdown deal on them

The next gens should be better though and AMD's retarded number of cores will probably make them worth looking at once they've remembered how to make things actually designed for batteries

what the fuck is going on here

Its Saturday night, you're in a thread on an image board specifically dedicated to surplus business laptops

Don't pretend you don't like it

I'll be honest with you phamalam, I could do without the pedo shit

Rorschach smells the Microshit coming from my T500
Hope everyone's getting along well

Attached: IMG_20190428_001700.jpg (3968x2976, 2.06M)

>Code of Conduct, the thread.

She's cute.

Cute cat, post feet

What can I do to my x220 for the authentic /tpg/ experience?

I jus want to be apart of something ;(

No way fag

Attached: IMG_20190428_003410.jpg (2448x3264, 1.58M)

Install a linux distro and complain about poor battery life
Gib dic pics

Install Gentoo

Attached: IMG_20190428_024524.jpg (3968x2976, 1.31M)

Buy me a 50g pouch of Amber Leaf and maybe lawl

why do you fags need to inject yourself into everything?
please fuck back to r/eddit
or at least

Attached: ee850994c67abea6124b882a2b0048b665ee49685ea506d4861c3c2ed58068bf.jpg (400x462, 26K)

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new t480s. How's the stock image, does it have tons of bloat? If I do a fresh install will Windows pick all the necessary drivers or is there something guaranteed to be missing that I should know about.

Fuck off newfag

eat a nigger dick with shit and aids on it faggot

I was talking about your cat, faggot

No u

cry harder faggot
this is how you all react when people tell you to stow that bullshit

Attached: 1555790580412.jpg (500x354, 17K)

Jow Forums is the gayest board on Jow Forums, get over it. /lgbt/ is a board exclusively for trans women.
Merely posting trapcode because she's cute and into thinkpads isn't any rainbow propaganda, just like programming socks. This board has it's own culture, and trapcode is a part of it, it doesn't matter whether she forced herself into it or not.

Attached: satania-dabbing.png (1024x1097, 234K)

>not having tripcode in your discord

Attached: drthfg.png (222x70, 6K)

>Jow Forums is the gayest board on Jow Forums
facts

>what is Jow Forums

No u anti-skub fag

this

Just finished installing W7 on my T500; is Windows always this shitty on Thinkpads? I don't mean OEM Windows installations, I mean aftermarket. I've tried different versions of 7 on my T500 and T430s, and they all ran like shit. Hell, my T430s had an OEM W7 installation on it, and ran noticeably slower after I installed the same version of 7 (non-OEM, Professional SP1). Fucking Ubuntu with Unity (whatever version was out 3 years ago) ran faster than Windows XP on my T60; fuck this shit, I'm glad I can wipe it off after I finish my Cisco and programming shit for uni.

Attached: 1484676971193.jpg (800x720, 125K)

Reporting in. The install I have on my desktop is hosed and I really don't want to back everything up just to reinstall it. Especially since I just reinstalled gentoo on this, like, two weeks ago.

Attached: 2019-04-27-210342_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 19K)

Is the i7-4980HQ meme worth it if I have a t440p? If it is, does someone have a reliable source?

I like my 4900hq

did u try installing the right drivers and updating windows?

it's windows, what did you expect

> t. ramlet

if you dont need bluetooth on it, get those chinese 8260 refits.

aliexpress.com/item/New-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8260-Intel-IT-8260HMW-8260D2W-2-4G-5Ghz-802-11ac-867Mbps/32857170708.html

$ iw phy | nc termbin.com 9999
termbin.com/e16a

how do I clean those shadow/ghost spots that shows up after you remove an old sticker (like pic related)? tried rubbing alcohol 99% and it didn't work at all

Attached: shadowspot.jpg (4000x3000, 928K)

t420, freezing occasionaly seems just on windows, particularly when I type something in start menu, does seem hot, are these idle temps ok?

Attached: temps .png (140x78, 1K)

You can't really. The plastic itself is less worn than everything around it.

try some 0000 steel wool

Those idle temps should be fine.
Is this the model with the Nvidia GPU?
And what model of CPU do you have installed?

steam

They're a little high, but I would chalk it up to Windows faggotry. Check your error logs (eventvwr) and see if anything sticks out.

I had the same thing. I used an angle grinder and a wire wheel to buff away the difference. You can also try convering it with another sticker.

Attached: power-wire-brush-angle-grinder-1_22920161848168630653.jpg (1024x683, 75K)

*ahem*

Attached: 1550093380674.png (738x669, 186K)

i5 2.5ghz cpu. Froze again. I will leave for a bit in cool place see what happens.

Try putting it in the microwave for 3 minutes. My friend had the same issue and it fixed it for him.

oh that's really sad. stickers fucking sucks! thanks

thanks anons. what if I spray paint with a black color this specific part?

Can I just put 3x3 wifi card in my x230? Do I need third antenna for it? Can I only plug 2 in it? Does it make a huge difference?

One is for bluetooth, one for Wifi and the other for ground.

How about in something like AR9380, that has CH0,1,2 for antenna? It has no bluetooth
>Antenna: 3 x U.FL connectors, 3T3R

Attached: Atheros-HB112AGN-AR9380-802-11a-b-g-n-3x3-WiFi-adapter-For-HP-Part-630435-001.jpg (400x400, 43K)

I'm going for a 4700mq

I have an x250 running arch its nice but fullscreen video has slices running though it/stuttering, what do i do?

what a fugly abomination, holy shit

Install Windows 10.

i wont look cool if anyone ever sees me tho

The absolute state of Jow Forums

Attached: 1550341204843.jpg (720x720, 240K)

aw shit I fixed it with my ~/.config/compton.conf, good luck next time bill
backend = "glx";
vsync = "opengl-swc";
glx-no-stencil = true;
glx-no-rebind-pixmap = true;

Yes. I even reinstalled it on my spare SSD to see if it was maybe the hard drive, but only the boot time was better, not performance.

8GiB
A more bloated Ubuntu install runs faster

Use magic eraser from the store.

put a new sticker over it

>she thinks that 8 gigs is enough

based

Who the fuck is this faggot?

Trapcode!Q/7, one of the cutest girl(boy)s on 4channel.

Attached: 1553094475968.png (1080x1440, 2.16M)

Why does technology turn people gay?

>falling for the more than 2GiB of RAM meme
Don't have any image macros on this machine yet so imagine I attached some ironic smug cartoon lass to purvey my sarcasm
Also memes aside I'm not gay or a tranny, I just look like a cigarette

A tripfag named Tripcode who's well versed on thunkpods and recently became a tranny. Nice person and runs/ran mmxchan. Helped Luke Smith with his X200/X220.

I don't think technology turns people gay, it's just that technology doesn't turn them away.

x1 carbon gen 6 vs razer blade stealth 2019?
Which one would you get and why? both cost about the same here, will be using it with a egpu and on the go.

It doesn't have 802.11ac, so it sort of misses the point for me.

Give it some time, and I might take the throne~

Attached: haskell.jpg (1931x1300, 1012K)

X250 worth buying as a portable shitposting machine yes or no?

Got outbid on the X201 I was looking at and now its past the price where it makes sense to buy

join the 40% and hang yourself

I want to at least to the point where I get my birth certificate changed so I don't die legally male. Also, I don't think it's only 40%, this sort of statistic is impossible to make accurately.

Attached: two_nooses.jpg (1060x852, 109K)

Depends on what you'd pay for it. It has good battery life and I believe you can just put a FHD panel in without any additional mods, downside is that it has a chiclet keyboard if you care about that.
It definitely has more than enough power to work as a shitposting machine so it all depends on the price.

i got an e585, am I good?

Quick questions about the docks:

- when you plug your thinkpad on a dock, the power is not drawn from the battery anymore, right?

- so on a dock, the the battery will charge and not have a charge/decharge cycle (the idea being to to spare your battery)

Attached: [HorribleSubs] One Piece - 03 [1080p]_00-05-35.793.jpg (1920x1080, 346K)

anyone managed to create a custom t/x60 libreboot rom? I'm using this script as a baseline

github.com/lenzj/libreboot-splash

When it gets to updating the grub config in the rom I get the following error:
# Update grub.cfg
build/libreboot_r20160907_util/cbfstool/x86_64/cbfstool build/libreboot_custom/t60_ukqwerty_vesafb_cust.rom extract -n grub.cfg -f build/libreboot_custom/grub_orig.cfg
E: Selected image region is not a valid CBFS.
make: *** [Makefile:48: build/libreboot_custom/t60_ukqwerty_vesafb_cust.rom] Error 1

the script compiles x200 roms fine so I'm probably just doing some dumb shit

Attached: binary.jpg (1024x768, 421K)

i believe so, yes
but not with all docks, at least not the USB 3.0 ones cos you can't load ur battery over them

Anyone?

Attached: file.png (80x39, 3K)

Well if it's windows 10 home/pro it will be very bloated and you should at the very least replace it with Enterprise LTSC.
Lenovo hosts all the drivers on their site so even if something is missing you can just download it.
pcsupport.lenovo.com/fi/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t480s-type-20l7-20l8/downloads

Not referring to Windows bloat but OEM bloatware

My T420 has recently got extremely heat inefficient (the air blown out by the fan is so hot I literally cannot keep my hand next to top left part of the computer). What do I replace the default thermal paste with? How do I determine that the cooling system has broken?

Open laptop up completely
Check the fans to make sure none of the fins are broken
Get a can of compressed air and blow all of the dust out of the system
Replace default paste with any decent thermal paste, remember to clean off the old stuff with isopropyl alcohol first

the lenovo image doesn't have much bloat if any, you can always install normal windows, download the program called vantage
run it to update the device and unninstall it
why do you care su much
also jjust out of experience i'd avoid the s models
they usually have some mechanical issue like in the 460s/470s serie the hinges fall off after a time

This thread is peak Jow Forums and I love it.

Attached: IMG_20190428_154309_700.jpg (1280x876, 146K)

Thanks user. Just clarify this bit pls:

>Replace default paste with any decent thermal paste, remember to clean off the old stuff with isopropyl alcohol first

I know thermal pastes have some parameters (thermal efficiency or something like that). What do I buy if I have the i7-2640M (TDP 35W) T420?

If it's the stock paste it came with, getting it out will be archeology. You should be able to replace it with pretty much any paste you want, I used some random 4.5 W/Mk paste with my 35W CPU back in the day and it did just fine.If it's the stock paste it came with, getting it out will be archeology. You should be able to replace it with pretty much any paste you want, I used some random 4.5 W/Mk paste with my 35W CPU back in the day and it did just fine.
If the fan in your cooler blows air, then it works, but you'll want to clean it to get back to highest efficiency possible. Of course, better paste will yield better thermals, but even Arctic Silver MX4 should be more than enough.
If you need assistance in taking your laptop apart (you'll have to take out the keyboard and the palm rest, speakers, and preferably the display (it's possible to take out the cooler without taking the display off, but it's awkward), and you can look
If the fan in your cooler blows air, then it works (of course, broken fins will make heat dissipation worse), but you'll want to clean it to get back to highest efficiency possible.
If you need assistance in taking your laptop apart (you'll have to take out the keyboard and the palm rest, speakers, and preferably the display (it's possible to take out the cooler without taking the display off, but it's awkward), and you can look up everything in the HMM for your model, including FRUs for replacements.
Even if her code is shit (and it seems to be from a glance I took at it a long time ago), I'd love to spend some time with her, maybe even something lewd >///

Attached: tripcode-love.jpg (750x738, 195K)