Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: smugboy.jpg (459x639, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1367/
streamurl,
dlive.tv/p/thecastle qWtwVOzWR
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to upgrade my GPU but my current monitors dont have HDMI ports, should I upgrade my monitor to even though theyre 1080p or just get an adapter

uwu

I'd upgrade the monitors. You can use old monitors for cool shit. I take laptop monitors from broken machines and put them around the house. One is dedicated to my server. It's neat

What happens if I set my core voltage to be different from my cache voltage in throttlestop? I'm using an Intel laptop CPU (i7-8750H). I keep reading (rather old) forum posts online that say you should try to keep cache and core voltage the same, but they never give a good reason why. In some youtube video, a guy mentions that your core voltage can be lower than your cache, but that this will reduce your CPU's ability to turbo boost. Is this the only downside? Or is there something else I should be aware of.

Hi everyone. I have an Ubuntu server running and it currently has:

ufw
fail2ban
password login disabled

Is that all I need to worry about in terms of security? Btw, I'm running a web app that uses nginx, node, and mysql

-----

Also, a mysql question:

I have a ton of records, and I want to create a dashboard with some metrics. How do I calculate the sum of all rows without running an expensive query every time? Should I create another table that only contains summaries and then update them each time a new row is create or deleted?

>not a shota
Shit OP

Attached: 1545421425689.jpg (800x853, 92K)

source on pic please

kys pedo scum

Use SauceNAO.

No.

Attached: 1547044161191.jpg (800x1130, 91K)

you have no right to exist

so its just some pixiv art oc?
shame i thought thered be a manga

Yet I keep existing, and there's nothing you can do.
(I don't want to derail the thread more, so this will be my last post in this thread. See you in the next one)

Attached: 1548377230450.png (500x833, 498K)

Been outside the jailbreak loop for years, is it true you can now install Cydia without it?

What do you look for in an office chair, and where do you buy from? I'm tired of buying pieces of shit from Staples every three years.

Is this an M.2 or an mSata slot?

Attached: IMG_20190428_090527.jpg (2250x4000, 2.61M)

imo msata

- get a "gaming chair" like Noblechair. not shilling brand X, but I do have 2 Noblechair and 1 DXRacer, and the DXRacer, even though it's one of the highest models, is much worse quality.

I got to try one, and then I just had to buy one for myself. They are really fucking comfy, but a proper one ain't cheap. The cheap copycats/Chinese chairs just suck / no better than regular office ones.

- I think IKEA also sells some, I found blog posts/videos online about better IKEA chairs... that said, I'd still go with my 'gayming chair'...

kill yourself mate.

ofc, nothing will happen. worst case if you fuck up, your laptop will shut down.
I would only touch vcore, and not cache voltage. just install Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and set vcore offset.

Let me start with this: Security is "overrated".
I have been using 30+ long passwords, fail2ban, firewall rules. All the tinfoil hat shit. You know what my boss used for our entire server park? 8-long, simple alphanumeric password. For 10 years or so.

With that out of the way...
You have done way more than enough.
I would:
- move the ssh port to a non-standard one (at least you don't get "knocked")
- change the jail.conf for fail2ban to match the new port, tho, since you have no password auth, people can't even try.
- make sure to allow the new port in ufw before restarting ssh service

my m.2 ssd is getting dogshit performance, CDM is reporting around 200 MB/s sequential reads *after* I made some changes to improve thermal and update drivers. Before that it was performing worse than my HDD. Temp while idle is around 24 C. What have I forgotten to check? or did the drive really just shit itself after a year? which manufacturers make fast and reliable m.2 SSDs, preferably with an affordable 2 TB model?

Attached: fugg.png (392x359, 32K)

Neither, its for a cellular card.

How do you control the duct in a carpet room? I've tried keeping the case on the my desk but isn't enough room for my comfort and the amount of dust didn't seem to decrease anyways. Picture is related the dust filters are pretty shit I'm empted to just buy a new case

Attached: 2472756-a.jpg (350x350, 16K)

I'm too jew to buy windows 10. Can I pirate and play games on Linux? I've heard Steam games play on Linux but I'm not willing to pay for most of the games I play.

What linux OS is I don't want to be surveilled

you'll get much worse performance than by running them natively
also why do you pirate games but not wangblows?

meh, remove dust filters and use canned air once a year... it ain't so hard.

you can just pirate both games AND Windows lmao

> which manufacturers make fast and reliable m.2 SSDs

You can't go wrong with Samsung. 970 EVO Plus and Pro is pretty solid, just don't forget to order a heatsink (like EK-M.2), it's a must for fast NVMe SSDs.

Attached: 74244780_p1.jpg (522x1000, 154K)

Wood slab underneath
Can steal a shelf from Goodwill or something
Or cut one and finish it to try something new

Blow it out with your air compressor twice a year.

Tons of free games native to Linux. DOTA 2. Wesnoth. Hedgewars. 0 A.D. War Thunder.

My current drive is a Samsung 250 GB 960 EVO. My motherboard's m.2 slot was in a really stupid place, such that the drive sat directly underneath the cooling system for the GPU with no room for a heatsink. Maybe MSI thought the gpu cooler would blow airflow across the disk? Either way I picked up an enclosure now and the drive sits somewhere else, bringing the idle temp from 51 C to 24 C. What I am mainly wondering, is if the drive's short apparant lifespan was due to my fuckup, if the EVO drives are just cheap garbage, or am I a doofus and something was set incorrectly?

Should I get windows 7, 8 or 10 as a gaymer? If I'm concerned over Windows 10 being spyware can I always try it out and switch OS later, or can just the initial installation compromise my pc permanently?

Why are all the /sqt/ OPs queers lately?

How do I open network streams on mpv?

please stop being a faggot

don't think it really matters mate.

10. don't be retarded.
games also spy. anti-cheats also spy. Origin, Steam, EPIC store, everything fucking spies.
7 is too old, 8 is just 10 but older.

maybe they are mods, and our reports do fuck all

literally nothing in those four pastebins covers how you bypass needing a key

Attached: file.png (804x177, 22K)

>report
>for being gay
lol?

for shitposting you fucking flaming homolord

Jow Forums is about tech, not about aberrations ffs.
I don't care if its loli, gay, shota, whatever. All of that shit belongs to other boards. Fuck off.

you don't need a key?
just click download, get it on pendrive, install.

then you will have a watermark.
[illegal] - go to mydigitallife forums and grab an activator/toolkit...
[illegal but no tool] - or go to Reddit "r/microsoftsoftwareswap"
[gray area but legit] - or go and look for a "used oem key"
either mate.

Thanks, i figured that was the case. I tried XTU but i had problems making its settings persist upon booting. After a few hours of failed troubleshooting, I decided to go with Throttlestop. Interestingly enough, when i leave cache voltage alone, i can set my core voltage offset to be ridiculously low without crashes or instability - my CPU is heavily throttled due to voltage/power, but otherwise stable (and this is fine since i just want my CPU to be able to max out at base frequency, i.e. no turbo boost, when it's on battery power). It's when i lower cache voltage when things start to crash.

I guess I'll start monitoring temps and power draw to see how to proceed

if I have PhpMyAdmin installed on my server... but it's in a different directory, and I add a custom config BUT no DNS points there... no one can access it besides me right?

So.
- In the past, I used the default PMA but it had errors, issues.
- With that method I always edited the apache.conf under /etc/phpmyadmin and let only localhost access it. this is safe, since I used port forwarding in SSH then to reach it.
- I wonder if I could just put the latest PMA in a folder like /var/www/pma, then make a new Apache config for a site like "gay.not", add it to my Hosts, and reach it... I do this with new sites that are not public yet, but not sure if it can be sniffed out or not...

Attached: 1556163316408.jpg (990x990, 172K)

bro. if you want that, just make a new power profile and set max CPU speed to 99%.
not even kidding, that's the "legit way". on all laptops I have these profiles:
0 - max+min on 0% max, and cooling profile is "silent".
99 - min = 0%; max = 99%; cooling profile: active, but up to you. imo active.
Balanced is the one which I pick to get the most juice.

it just werks.
undervolting is for shaving off some temp off your CPU. you are ought to change "CPU core voltage offset" and like -0,45 is already high af. but to be fair, undervolting stable is SO HARD... there are so many power situations, things can get unstable after weeks. I'd just put a very mild, like -0,20 on my CPU and that was safe, yet it made it run a tiny bit colder.

What's a good lightweight linux distro that can be used as a basic 24hrs. fileserver (torrent, FTP, SMB).
I've had experience setting up NAS4Free but on WEBgui only.
There's also a chance that I don't know what I'm talking about so I posted this question here.

Attached: 2558113.png (500x646, 97K)

If it's only for you and not for other people to administer databases, why not use a real client like workbench/heidisql/dbeaver?
They are far superior compared to a web based solution.

So I got a prebuilt a few years ago. Really fucking good, actually. Specs still allow for great performance, especially since I upgraded the GPU. It's out of commission right now, though. It keeps frying HDDs. Like I'll get blue screens all the time and shit crashes, then eventually the HDD can't be read at all. The graphic drivers also keep crashing, and peripherals attached via USA die after a while as well. After 3 or 4 har drives died, I decided I need to quit pressing my luck with the GPU, as that shit is expensive. So hearing these problems (kills HDDs, USB shit dies, graphic drivers crashing and restarting), what would you say it is? I'm guessing PSU, but I'd like an opinion before I buy one if it might be the motherboard.

I should add that when I switch to a new HDD, it works okay for a while then death.

A computer when on will always fill up the harddrive with "something". A log of the activity of the computer even when the user is doing completely nothing. Despite this log being very very little tiny bit of data, it's still data being created and stored into the harddrive.

What happens then once the harddrive is completely full? Mac, Linux, and Windows? Does the computer just completely crash or is there a fail-safe for such an event?

Nice, I'll definitely look into that. However, I'd still like to undervolt for those low temps - I already found a "pretty stable" offset at -140mV for both core and cache, but I noticed that if I raise the cache offset a bit, I can lower the core by a ridiculous amount. Like all the way down to -1000mV core if I have cache at around -130mV (meanwhile, all 12 CPU threads can run at 2.2GHz 100%). Of course, I'll have to adjust these numbers as I test their stability, but on the surface it looks like there are some ridiculous undervolting gains that are possible. When I undervolt this much, it seems that my power consumption is quite drastically reduced as well (operating 12threads at 2.2GHz 100% uses about 18-20W compared to >30W when not undervolted). It's totally unnecessary, since the battery life is fine for anything i'd need it for, I just like to stroke my epeen over big numbers

well, find the data... sheesh.

> on Mac: Nothing.
> on Windows: Nothing.
> on Linux: Depends on filesystem, can cause issues.

-140 seems super high, damn. I'm jelly.
desu I done it on mine because the ROG fans sound like vacuum cleaners.

pretty much all operating systems will give you some type of warning when your disk/partition is close to being full. In windows, you'll start seeing a lot of errors like you can't move or open files, and eventually windows will start prompting you that you're almost out of space. Also, there are utilities/settings you can use/change to ensure that log files are periodically cleaned out. If this is the reason why the disk/partition is getting full, I'm sure any modern OS will clear out some old log files. Well, at least Mac and Linux lol

I want to buy a thumb drive that is speedy, with a minimum of 4GB storage. Can you recommend one to buy?

Typically what's the range speed? How do I avoid getting ripped off buying a slow piece if crap?

Attached: connector-electrical-device-adapter.jpg (370x250, 12K)

look at the specs, it always says what speed they have.

Ban the pedo

I can't recommend any specifics, but these days you could easily find 32GB usb 3.0 flash drives for less than $20. For reference, I have a very old (2013/2014-ish) SanDisk flash drive I can copy a bunch of video files to it at about 55 MB/s.

Can I make a bootable persistent GNU/Loonix USB drive formatted in NTFS/FAT32/exFAT?
The idea is to be able to boot on my loonix on the go while also being able to saves files from any windows computer I might need to use

Attached: 7ABEC097915B4B359F2A21DA3D808A41.jpg (281x386, 18K)

i want to create a really lightweight calendar / planner / todolist program, that does stuff like pic related (just ideas) which language would be the best to realize that? i only know a bit of java and C# so far

Attached: program.png (1380x796, 39K)

>test
Ignore me, I am a faggot

WPF/C# if windows only.
HTML/JS if multi platform.

>Problem
I can't log into my user account (Windows 7). When I try to log in, I get infinitely stuck at the "Welcome" screen and have to restart my PC.

I CAN, however, log into a second account on my PC as well as the guest account.

>Question 1
How do I find out why I can't access my account and fix it? I tried to launch windows in safe mode but my PC would freeze up once it reached "classpnp.sys".

>Question 2
How do I gain access to my files from a second account? It keeps saying I don't have permission to access them, but I can't find any way to give this account permission, or change ownership of the files.

thx

Is tar'ing and untar'ing my entire / directory (of course preserving permissions) a good way to completely copy an existing GNU/Linux install to another drive?

So my VPN allows me to whitelist certain websites from going through the VPN, but I was wondering if there would be a way to whitelist video games like MMOs and fighting games?

>be me last night
>seed torrents
>accidentally close transmission
>reopen it
>doesn't continue seeding
>go to sleep

>this morning
>wake up
>login to windows 7
>maximize transmission
>still doesn't seed
>wait few hours
>still doesn't seed

any solutions?

Attached: wojak.png (340x340, 43K)

i think i have to delete all torrents and files and redownload them.

This is probably the most retard question I will ever ask on this board
What the fuck do I need to know about PC?

Attached: 1555454975322.jpg (4000x4000, 852K)

will i be able to make an app with html / js?

If you use something like electron.
But it's rather bloaty.

Pirate windows and find a safe DL of KMSPico to activate it.

Just get 10, you can kill a load of the spyware with some .bat and powershell scripts and just tinkering in the settings but you're going to get spied on regardless if it's a Microsoft OS. Pretty much every software spies on you nowadays.

Nothing

what's the cheapest amount of money i can spend for a PC that can run modern games decently

if your files are not encrypted just boot something else and navigate to em

Depends how lucky you are, where you live etc
Anywhere from 300-800usd, depending on your location

If your second account is in the administrator group then:
a) you can easily take ownership on the folder
b) better idea: just give recursive r/w permission on that folder

Your problem is probably in the user's registry hive, in this case don't bother, usually hard to fix.

Second idea: One time I ran into some odd shit on my friends computer, he left a damaged video file on his desktop, and explorer crashed every time it is tried to generate thumbnail. So you can try moving every icons and files from your desktop into a folder, may help.

Attached: 74409708_p104.jpg (960x1280, 458K)

was going to community college, but gen eds are boring as fuck and i was skipping every other day because you hardly do shit day by day, and then i just said fuck this and dropped out. also i hated english. anyways, i've been learning c++ for the past 1-2 months, with my goal being to build up my skills in c++ and then start working on projects on github to become a more attractive job candidate. however, i've been reading recently that if you want to get a job programming without a degree, webdev is where you want to go for the quickest and easiest route to a job. should i switch paths and start learning webdev? is it really that much harder to get a job if you go the c++ route? if i were to switch to webdev, i'd probably learn either back end, or just go all in full stack, as front end only work doesn't sound very appealing to me. i'd rather be the troll in the back setting shit up and making sure it works.

I have a logitech g933 headset (yes I know, gayman headsets are dumb but it was cheap and I like it) and I have an issue on Win 10: sometimes I heard a little crack, and multiple things happen. If I watch youtube, the video will freeze (the button still says pause but it stays frozen until clicking into the timeline), if I watch netflix, netflix will freeze and give the "something went wrong" which is fixed by F5ing. Teamspeak reacts the weirdest: my push to talk will stop working. It doesn't say that no mic is connected, everything seems normal, but when I press the button, the lamp doesn't glow. Now that lamp is supposed to glow when PTT is pressed pretty much no matter what, so this is confusing as fuck. This can be fixed by restarting Teamspeak or changing capture mode from "auto use best" to "direct capture" or "windows audio session" doesn't matter as long as you switch which one you are using. You then can switch back too and it works fine.

I have NO idea what is causing this. I get no windows message about losing/dropping/restablishing/new connections, sound keeps working fine, I am at a COMPLETE loss as to what is happening or how to fix it. As far as I can tell, it happens at random intervals.
Any ideas?

how do i come up with a good name for a youtube channel? im thinking my initials then UHD, in the style mkbhd did but would that just have copying someone else written all over it?

> trying to become original on a megahuge platform
just pick whatever.. your content will make it whatever you want it to be

openwrt

is there any retard friendly way to convert hardcoded subs from a video file to an .srt? what if the subs aren't listed in the subtitles track (it's just blanked out in the context menu)? i don't care about removing the subs. i just want to put into a text file so that i can copy them and have them translated. the subs are in chinese, so i can't just copy them down myself.

Attached: 1553485612954.jpg (480x589, 19K)

i always thought the painter in kirby 64 was a girl

How does power usage on a computer work, Jow Forumsays? If I have a 500W PSU but I run a 7W TDP integrated celeron board on it and one SSD, what would be the power use on that rig?

I guess you could run frames with subs through an optical character recognition software but it's a fuckton of work and certainly not retard friendly :(

Attached: dayum shame.jpg (393x393, 60K)

is it possible to port forward with dynamic ip?

>TP-Link W8901N

make your own srt and transcribe text. mcfaggy gaylord.

Yes, all you need is the DDNS service.

tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1367/

Attached: ee22d878338cfb16856aafd625baecd3.jpg (800x1200, 143K)

I want to get into meditation and have something to track my progress. Any recommended android apps for that?

mpv streamurl, you might need to have ytdl.exe in the mpv folder.

can I protect my user folder from other admin accounts on a shared pc? maybe encrypting my user folder with veracrypt?

no-ip.com gives you a 30 day ddns for free. you can set in the router control panel. you have to renew it every month but it's good for testing

Anyone recognize the program being used in this video?
dlive.tv/p/thecastle qWtwVOzWR

Attached: firefox_6gDcaPtwVy.png (1297x736, 920K)

Port forwarding is independent from your external IP address.
Whatever your current IP is the port will get forwarded to its internal destination when someone tries to connect to it.

You do need a static internal IP though, otherwise the forward might go to the wrong destination or nowhere.

It's unreal engines editor.

thanks

OP is a stinky fujo.
but she (he?) is alright sometimes.

he ^_^
It honestly doesn't matter much. There was some relatively successful fortnite youtuber whose channel is just "Best Trends". Just use whatever you feel is right.

Okay I have a stupid question. Given the rise of quantum computing, will that mean that whoever has the best QC rules all of the internet?

If that person can break any encryption does he have access and control over every device, pc, server and anything else connected to the web?

Thank you, can you elaborate on SNI? I'm really not knowledgeable about these kind of subjects, what are the implications of this?

i haven't bought a monitor in a long time, what are all these things like gsync, freesync, what should I look for when buying a 120-144hz monitor? are there any monitors in particular that are really good for the price?

No. Quantum computing is ballsnasty slow to develop, and by the time real headway is made we'll have developed the math to create resistant encryption.

what gpu do you have and what games do you play?
whats your budget?

If you're buying a monitor with that high of a refresh rate, it'll probably include a *sync anyway, which is good for reducing latency a bit and smoothing out the image, but a bit less important if you're constantly hitting 100+ fps in the games you play.

Gsync is rarer and only compatible with nvidia. Freesync is compatible with anything except older nvidia cards (pre-10xx) or older windows (pre-10). G and Free are close enough to not justify a big price difference.