How was it using this gadget back then?

How was it using this gadget back then?

Attached: images (1).jpg (554x554, 16K)

terrible
optical mice where a godsend

noisy, bumpy, prone to dust getting inside, but good enough for old PCs

quite bad. You'd have to take the ball out every now and then.

The only benefit was being able to use it on reflective surfaces.

There was so much dust and shit accumulated inside the damn ball after few uses. Absolutely disgusting.

Kids would take the balls.

Ah, the memories of scraping brown dusty gunk from inside using scissors.

how about today?

Attached: m570.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Trackballs are a pretty different story, I'm using one now. Hell, even my keyboard has one built in.

nice

They were the best mice, smooth and accurate, nicely weighted in the hand, and nice buttons, especially that model - Logitech M-S34. Having to take it apart and clean it every now and then was a small price to pay.

you could remove the balls of all the mice in your school

Maybe my reactions were faster back then, but I remember the lag. you could move your cursor to an icon then wait 3/4 second for the icon to catch up to your arm movement.

Try cleaning your house. Hardly ever had that issue.

You must be over 18 to post on this site.

Sounds like computer problems.

Liar. My desk was always clean doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty after many months of use.

I liked it better desu

In my school they glued the little access door shut so the ball couldn't be removed without a screwdriver.

I remember flicking the mice and lifting off to flick my cursor to the other side of the screen, the rollers often needed cleaning, dumb fucks stole the balls often, but the mice were built like tanks.

I had the Logitech 3 button mouseman SERIAL version that fit into my hand just right before scroll wheels and PS/2 mice became a thing, and then the original Logitech scroll wheel optical mice with USB came out and it blew my mind, I still have the damn thing (logitech optical). They just don't make things like they used to.

It provided a solid feel and weight. Weighted optical mouse just aren't the same. They're just heavy without soul.

Would I go back to it? Hell no.

>people complain about their mouse not working.
>say I'll fix it
>take mouse to the bathroom
>clean rollers and ball
>works like new
>everyone is fucking amazed
>receive 2 thank you blowjobs

Fuck optical.

It's bad enough to have be removed from my memory until threads like this one. The immediate thing that came to mind was "hair" with a visualization of greasy hair that also has dry bits of dead skin on them. I can't play flash games on this shared computer with the ball getting stuck on someone else's body waste, gotta dig it out myself.

tracksballs are optical mice too, you dumbfuck nigger faggot

Lots of little things like this have ruined tech support in IT.

Yeah, deffo still miss that weight, even after years of habit with optical ones. To actually point and accuracy preffer optical, because easier and faster to adjust to fine detail. But they really feel empty and plastic in the hand.

They use to break ALL THE FUCKING TIME. It was a nightmare

>The immediate thing that came to mind was "hair" with a visualization of greasy hair that also has dry bits of dead skin on them. I can't play flash games on this shared computer with the ball getting stuck on someone else's body waste, gotta dig it out myself.
That takes me right back to high school and the computer lab. The ones people could book and use were disgusting. I got this clear mental picture of it even today.
Never saw a ball so bad until I got sent in a trackball that "didn't work" by a store years later.

They costs like $0.5 back then.

annoying but ok
I've been wondering if I should use one. How are they?

dumb nigger

I have this exact model and it's fucking great. It takes a little getting used to, but is much better than a normal mouse when you do.

Satisfying to open up and peel off the black hardened gunk from the side rollers desu.

Just clean them once every six months. They worked fine. I use one when I go to my parents and it works better than 90% of the optical mice I use (though granted I use very cheap optical mice).

Physical has some advantages and disadvantages over cheap opticals. Work better on uneven surfaces and certain colors that cheapos bug out on. Higher priced opticals are head and shoulders above them, though.

Certainly not suggesting a return to these old guys (they're probably more expensive to make than the cereal box laser pointer glued to a tiny silicone board that are modern mice), but their bad rap is mostly because people used them when they were kids with monkey brains and couldn't figure out a simply mechanical process and so would bang them around and lift them up and roll the balls and do other monkey things.

Zoomers born in 2001 are already turning 18 user

I have one of those and use it occasionally.
Makes your wrist stiff after a few hours but it's a lot of fun to use.
jpg related what i use.

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x426, 18K)

That's how its fucking done Broathaa!.

Attached: the interwebzz.png (660x464, 696K)

Such a good feeling when you can start feeling tactile feedback from moving the mouse, and know that it's time to clean it.

Another fun part was hovering the mouse so only the ball was touching the mouse-pad, and moving the mouse around like a pro.

Come to think of it. Those things were like the fidget spinners of PCs.

35yo here.
Basically back then they were the only option, and not everyone as this user said knew to open them and clean the axis rollers plus the small spring loaded roll that made the ball centered to the sensor rolls.

But aside from mice that were worse than now, the whole society was better

Attached: 1467592068372.jpg (632x421, 100K)

I'm still using one, it doesn't feel very different from optical for the most part.

They were great. You could take the balls out and bounce them around the room and then watch the teachers REEEEEEEEEEEE about having to hunt for them on the floor and under stuff.

had to clean it all the time

I remember using them back in my middle school computer lab, and they were perfectly fine. No one in my school seemed to fuck with them, and I don't remember any tracking issues or anything, really. Just werked somehow.

no joke, I thought these were the future at age 10. I was pretty good at quake 3, but the funny thing is, one day I had to play on a school computer and noticed that with a normal ass mouse I was doing just as good, if not better. despite years of using the mouse ball

Attached: 910-000806-r-unit.jpg (300x300, 19K)

I remember people always stole the ball from it in computer clubs

Attached: 1.jpg (1366x768, 253K)

Early 2000s in Eastern Europe was comfy shit

Get your filthy zoomer ass off my computer and technology imageboard.

Attached: cool-90s-blaster-kid.jpg (461x249, 37K)

Is it Poland?

I still remember in my drafting class in high school, some kid took all the balls because he was pissed at the teacher. The teacher was so mad he locked us in the room until someone confessed, but we were all tightlipped about it. He got so mad he ring stomped some random kids binder.
Good times.

This

not that bad, except you had to clean them from time to time
all the posts itt about cleaning nightmares probably relate to shared mice in computer labs and so on. but if it's your own mouse and your mom's basement isn't disgusting then it was fine

>The only benefit was being able to use it on reflective surfaces.
i used a ball mouse until around 2011 or so for this reason. why don't more wireless optical mice work on glass? i own two logitech darkfield mice now, and i'm always surprised there are few/no alternatives (i think MS make one now but not sure)

>Another fun part was hovering the mouse so only the ball was touching the mouse-pad, and moving the mouse around like a pro.
lol i don't know why but i did this sometimes

Attached: 20136.jpg (250x169, 29K)