/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
data hoarders are also welcome edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

previous thread:

Attached: hsg_5.jpg (1663x738, 368K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/p/663772-001-HP-Ml350-Gen8-Second-Media-Bay-Cage/18012153445
github.com/hpc17-raspi-cluster/raspi-cluster/blob/master/docs/Setup.md#installing-open-mpi
github.com/hpc17-raspi-cluster/raspi-cluster
docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/userguide/networking/
github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/blob/master/Dockerfile
linuxcontainers.org/lxd/introduction/
hsg.shortlink.club/
hstspreload.org/
geizhals.de/?cat=mbson&xf=3745_12~3745_16~3745_4~3745_6~3745_8~544_Supermicro&sort=p#productlist
github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/7401
open-zfs.org/wiki/Feature_Flags
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Missed this thread.

I'm currently running an HP DL180 G6 with 8x2TB disks and 96GB RAM. Just picked up pic related (ML350p Gen8, not my pic) at a steal for an upgrade, but it only came with 8 SFF bays. They sell the LFF kits but, at $190 a pop, I'd have more in them than I do in the server. I'm considering hunting down a JBOD and moving my Hyper-V and VHDs over to SFF disks but anything faster than 3gbps gets expensive quickly.

They also make an adapter for the top bay to convert it to 3 x 5.25 bays, but doing 3.5s in there still leaves some to be desired. I'm looking around for sas-compatible hot swap bays if I go that route.

Attached: file.png (800x600, 1.02M)

cool
what do you use your current one for and what are the plans for your new one?
pic related is mine

Attached: 2019-04-28-135222_614x274_scrot.png (614x274, 27K)

Currently that G6 is a mess, running Server 2012 R2 with a shitload of VMs to serve some websites and some VPSs for a couple of buddies. By the time I'm done I'd like to divest that stuff from what I'm running personally (ownCloud with a metric fuckton of data, hence the 20TB) on the G6 while the Gen8 is all for me.

I'm probably going to run Hyper-V Server 2019 (the free flavor) once Microsoft fixes up whatever's preventing them from rereleasing it) off USB on the new one; most of my VMs are Debian but that G6 was OEM licensed for 2012r2 and I'd rather not fuck with ESX or virtualbox

I'm not in front of it now but I'm pretty sure that g8 has the same chip as yours

I'm running a G8 ML310e. Bumped up the ram to 24gb and bought two 5.25 to 3.5 tool less drive caddies for the upper bays. Running Freenas w/Plex & Transmission. It just works you know, no problems, no nothing/

Linking some posts from the old threads, I'm too sentimental to let them die yet:

Sysadmin is setting up MPI on his raspi cluster: user talks about lightweight TLS and DNS servers: Buying recommendations for single board computers as file servers or NAS Anons discussing HW acceleration for NAT inside openwrt and the mt7621 SoC Some user is building a server rack with drawers recycled from old Ciscos Model 4507RE

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

alright cool

your post motivated me to look again for the adapter kit
ebay.com/p/663772-001-HP-Ml350-Gen8-Second-Media-Bay-Cage/18012153445
yours probably came with one. This beats the $200 price I was seeing before but would only do 4 of my 8 disks. May just have to suck it up and upgrade

is it botnet

Attached: file.png (555x344, 145K)

thanks

Attached: hsg_6.jpg (1658x1168, 620K)

No problem, wish there was a wikia with /hsg/ tutorials and recommendations hosted on someone's homeserver.

Give me a quality wifi cable and ethernet card suggestion, Jow Forums.

Anyone have a domain name?

I don't into mediawiki so I imagine anything I try to run is gonna end up inundated with dicks and sql injections but I could take a crack at it

Isn't that what the Jow Forums wiki is for?
>Implying anyone knows it even exists

I guess a hsgwiki.ddns.net would do the job, unless someone steals it from us as we speak.
Just keep editing rights to yourself and have people email you posts that get a guide.

Easiest and safest way for you would be just put up a small description and link to archived posts on warosu.org and rbt.asia
Then a regular webserver would just do.

>Isn't that what the Jow Forums wiki is for?
Do we have control over it?

Attached: hatsune_server.jpg (2880x1800, 568K)

mpi cluster stuff is going...meh...copying this guys stuff directly just isn't going to fly - docker has changed a lot since he did his stuff, plus his cluster design is different (no clusterwide storage plus he relies on rebuilding the docker image every time you run a different program)

So throwing together a virtual dev cluster on my workstation(sort of) to put together dockerfiles/docker stacks etc. and then I can push it to the cluster.

happy as a pig in shit :)

im reluctant in hosting something outwards from home
cockbox maybe? i should have some monero laying around

There are a few newer tutorials on github, only linking the most recent (2017):
github.com/hpc17-raspi-cluster/raspi-cluster/blob/master/docs/Setup.md#installing-open-mpi
Maybe you can create a new docker image based on the instructions in there.

github.com/hpc17-raspi-cluster/raspi-cluster
It is not much, but maybe this is still recent enough.

I was under the impression that it's like any other wiki but their registration may or may not still be cocked up by bots.

aye, I've looked over a few of those (some nice videos on youtube too) but they are all for install mpi on to bare-metal - I'm aiming to run it in a docker container on each node.

Get it right and I should be able to just flip the cluster into mpi mode by spinning up a stack, into a different use mode just as easy etc. as well as perhaps running the same containers on x86/mixed arch nodes.

i'll buy a domain if thats what you're after
hsg.moe seems to be free

Containers are a bit of a meme, but definitely preferable when not wanting to mess too much with your system. I'd use one too in your case.
But yeah in that case you might be forced to build your own. I always keep a test-raspi or laptop for messing around.

source extremely required

containers are comfy through
im using two rtorrent+openvpn containers that only allow traffic through the vpn, one for public trackers and one for private trackers

Networking from containers sounds awesome. If you have a link to get me started feel free to drop it. I'll take a look around myself what I might be able to do.

>Lots of options and theres even a flowchart.
Where is this flowchart?

Actually shit I was planning to VM out my torrentbox but if I could container it out that might also work. It doesn't need permanence at all, it just needs access to some volumes - torrents in, torrents out.

i mean, the first thing is probably just reading the relevant docker docs docs.docker.com/v17.09/engine/userguide/networking/
and taking a look at some existing dockerfile could also be useful
github.com/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/blob/master/Dockerfile
thats the one im running doubly, one of them is automatically downloading specific airing anime from the AB RSS feed
i think containers are more suited, or at least more elegant, for this, they're pretty lightweight and dont require much time to set up even if you create and configure them yourself
if you dont want to spend time setting up a container yourself (which is pretty simple once you get a hang of it) there are many pre-made containers that do this for deluge, qbittorrent, transmission and rtorrent, just edit the launch parameters to suit you
if you're running a sysmted distro, look into nspawn too, not sure about the advantages apart from it being available as a part of systemd already

Attached: hsg_4.jpg (1641x1149, 817K)

Thank you for the documentation and espcially the repo.

Attached: DNBX1L1V4AAC7y5.jpg large.jpg (900x563, 82K)

>Docker
Disgusting nigger shit. Use linuxcontainers.org/lxd/introduction/ like a white man.

You could have linked that without shouting

what advantages does lxd offer me over docker? apart from not being regularly associated with bearded 4-eyed bugboys

Wiki is up and running. Working out mail server settings and a few security things, should have it available shortly.

Thank you friend. Any idea about categories we need that are missing from pic related?

Attached: network-components-2-638.jpg (638x479, 81K)

I suppose it depends on the direction we try to take the wiki.

For now it's gonna be really basic, with some links to the reddit homelab, other Jow Forums content, etc but we can do anything we want with it desu

No worries, it's just good to get people into openwrt too. Have the peripherals for their homeservers ready.
I'm completely open in what direction it will develop. A single link in OP to your wiki would be best, and a way for people to suggest or send in their articles, so you have less work.

Hanairo Shoujo

The /hsg/ wiki is up.

hsg.shortlink.club/

I'll be working this afternoon to get HTTPS going and add some content.

Don't use your real name or any password you care about. I can technically read out hashed passwords and I really don't care but I'd feel bad if Pajeet got your iCloud account because I can't into web security.

If you don't want me to have your email, go make a cock.li or something. Or just email me with the username and password you want and I'll add it manually.

Cheers.

Attached: logo.png (400x101, 6K)

>http
FUCKING HELL DUDe
HTTPS IS LIKE 12 FUCKING SECONDS

Looking actually professional and the logo is cute.

Give him time to set it up. It already supports https, maybe he need to generate letsencrypt certs first for this domain. Just wait.

It takes 12 seconds to generate letsencrypt certs.
Which is why letsencyrpt is so fucking good

Cotenancy is a bitch. Should be OK now.
uwu

Attached: file.png (1054x1016, 54K)

thank you and keep up the good work
whilst i cannot promise that I can write articles anytime soon, I'll get something going
will have to set up my test raspberry again so I ca retrace all my steps before I can write, and uni isn't exactly going easy on my ass recently (7 courses)

You are right, of course. It is easy, with acmetool.

Already verified? Going fast :3c

Now to make your server redirect HTTP to HTTPS

and enable HTST with long duration, then commit to:
hstspreload.org/

firefox and chrome will include the site then for preloading to https

>HTST
*hsts

rad, i'll include this in the op next time i post the op

Attached: my wife.png (800x1124, 475K)

What pitfalls are there with setting up SMB3 / Samba?

I want to run it on my server, inaccessible from the internet. Can I fuck up at all as long as it is not exposed?

Attached: calling-the-witness-smb3-failover-with-sambactdb-20-638.jpg (638x479, 63K)

anyone? somebody must be hosting netshares for windows.

Attached: 5456435.jpg (600x450, 201K)

well i mean sure im hosting some shares but im doing sftp instead of samba
do i think you'd be fucked unless you expose it to the outside? no
either way, just set up your users and user rights properly

Attached: 1542993253501.gif (500x500, 1.75M)

Thank you, it's just for a Windows laptop of someone who visits me. Allow them to drag and drop files without giving them my SSH key, which I am required myself to use for SFTP. Spares some hassle.

Cool. Thanks, Tim-may.

Potentially useful?:

can you sauce me OP pic, user?

read thread moran

found it, no need

>read thread moran
servers are boring, fuck hardware

>literally complains over servers by uploading a post to one
Heh, there is irony in this.

there are people who don't like programming but they still use software, your point?

Any benefit in using ITX boards? Think AsRock and SuperMicro have good ones with lots of SATA ports, but I usually back off since I don't know if they are fully supported by *NIX. There are even 2 AMD ones from 2019, codename Snowy Owl.

Attached: asrock_rack_c2750d4i_test_1.jpg (2600x1755, 1.15M)

you can use a smaller case, thats about it i guess..
though you usually pay by reduced number of ports

ahh, it was dhcp options 3. I just love learning new stuff

When it comes to x86 server boards the answer is almost always yes, they are fully supported by Linux and FreeBSD

Yeah they start gentle in the 200's range and go up fast to 700.

Just that? Even regarding controllers?

Attached: 1556121412401.jpg (540x720, 86K)

note that I said boards as in motherboards, more specialized peripherals are still lacking drivers occasionally, but pick any recent nic/storage controller and there's basically guaranteed support in recent kernels

notable exceptions are some x86 SoCs and laptops, but it's hard if

...not impossible to find a server that won't be fully supported

avoid the C2xxx atoms
old ones brick and new ones aren't very reliable either

Kinda cool but NOT recommended for daily use:

By accident I left port 80 open on my router and had it forwarded to my server's ip. Used to run a website from it.

Anyhow when I decommissioned the server the new server in it's place used Freenas as the operating system. So one day I was bored as fuck at work and remote logged into my freenas box to do some fine tuning work.

Soon as I got done I plugged the hole. The only service I got exposed to the outside is an FTP server.

Thanks for the warning, shame the AMD ones from 2019 are still expensive.

>The only service I got exposed to the outside is an FTP server.
That is one of the oldest protocols. Why use it when you can have SFTP at a non-standard port with public key authentication to make brute force impossible?

Attached: 2b87e596f1cc49375ed0cead876c71fc.jpg (2000x1556, 1.33M)

hopefully you're running the ftp on different ports than the default

Finally set up Foreman and proper Puppet infra on oVirt and slowly adding more existing hosts
Workflow of Gitlab -> Foreman -> host is pretty nice with dynamic environments
Still have to write a lot of Puppet code and some modules though, pretty fun

Attached: Untitled.png (3196x1626, 205K)

Don't scold me, but what is that? Some kind of CI or CD pipeline?

Attached: ff6ca1b4715c5e8e673f993480f1655b.jpg (562x770, 145K)

It's a graphical front end for Puppet configuration management. It's Infrastructure as Code, sort of. All servers have profiles for e.g. firewall, packages, config files, etc. that are managed using puppet. With foreman you can manage environments, have a GUI for the puppet CA, deploy and provision new machines on oVirt, manage config parameters such as domain names or versions for example

Oh so essentially a powerful tool for every sys admin? I'm getting it now. Did you download some of the classes or created most of them yourself?

Attached: edit.png (1120x574, 29K)

It's very useful if you have to manage lots of VM's or servers. We use it at work too and are able to manage 100 physical servers and another 150 VMs with just 3 sysadmins.
There are puppet modules for almost all pieces of software, but for example the module for Oxidized and Unbound are ones I wrote myself. And for each server type (unifi, recursor, ovirt) I write profile classes that include these modules, configure the firewall with relevant rules etc.

I want a home server but need hardware that is not RPI

Will probably use for Plex, pfSense and test env
>please help me

Also, any downsides to building my own microATX box? i.e. lack of RAID Cards etc?

buy the more powerful ones or buy an small ITX board with BGA soldered CPU and outfit it with RAM.

How much are you going to spend on it?
geizhals.de/?cat=mbson&xf=3745_12~3745_16~3745_4~3745_6~3745_8~544_Supermicro&sort=p#productlist

Attached: dc5405d3.jpg (493x740, 371K)

Give me a quality wifi cable and ethernet card suggestion, Jow Forums.

Attached: 1556469260500.jpg (1050x578, 135K)

Most sysadmins manage windows so you would be better oft learning sccm

Side question:
Is there any point to using using Puppet / Chef on desktop hardware (for learning)?

Dumb question. If I just copy the 1600 clocks and voltage son my 1600x, can I more or less get it down to the same tdp?
Does such a board exist on the AM4 platform?

>wireless

nigga that's the serial picture

it's pretty simple, my shares aren't clustered as the NAS itself is hosting but I don't see how you could fuck up smb3.

if you've used terraform (+ config management tool post deployment) how would you compare them?

Freetard shit aside, Is there any reason for me to stick with Freenas over unRaid now that it has ZFS support? it seems like it just werks, and makes VMs/Docker deployment much easier. jails are cool, but I dont think I am losing that much without them am I?

isn't 1600x just a better sillicon lottery ticket? if 1600 can run at same clocks and voltage as higher binned 1600x without shitting the bed, it should be exactly same cpu. if not, you raise voltage, and then tdp will go up as well

i think

If the lack of TRIM in current ZoL doesn't bother you then not really. I'm not a fan of running additional containers/VMs on a NAS either way honestly

yeah, but now that I am moving it from my desktop to my NAS, 95w stock is a little high. But I assumed I could just undervolt and underclock, and it soupd be just as efficient. But yes it is just a better binned chip with better factory clocks and a better garuntee of hitting like 4.1ghz

that's it? the whole internet makes it out like ZFS is just that much better on Freebsd and I am going to lose all my data switching. I really dont care about the extra features. I am just fed up with Rancher and the hoops of setting up a ubuntu VM. God forbid I want a winblows one

Early iterations were indeed shit, and FreeBSD is currently the "main platform" of sorts for OpenZFS but as of the 0.7.x releases ZoL is entirely workable for /hsg/ uses. For a lot of production uses the lack of TRIM is a major issue though.
There is a project in the works to rebase OpenZFS on ZoL but it hasn't started yet.

Just avoid the shit out of 0.7.7
github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/7401

cheers. I just wish it wasnt such a fucking pain to try switching.

Check the feature flag compatibility list and manually specify them when you create the pool. Then resist the urge to upgrade pool until everything is covered across all bases you care about.

open-zfs.org/wiki/Feature_Flags

What's the best way to do mirrored boot drives?

In a BIOS+MBR world its simple, install GRUB to both drives, however it is that they're mirrored (MD RAID, Btrfs, ZFS, whatever) Now we have this UEFI crap that wants an EFI system partition. Ugh. Which must be FAT32. Worse ugh. The only way I've seen people doing this is by fucking around with an obsolete MD superblock format to get the RAID metadata at the end of the partition instead of the beginning, and then hoping the EFI setup program never actually writes to the thing and desyncs the RAID behind MD's back. (or doing some fuckery to force RAID resyncs at every boot or something)

Honestly my inclination is to just look for a board that doesn't require EFI boot, I think most consumer motherboards will still boot in the old-fashioned BIOS/MBR way if you tell them, but I think a lot of server boards are EFI only now. Is this the case?

You should be able to disable UEFI in the BIOS.

Well the FTP is configured with a dedicated user account that ain't got access for anything else. Even if it did get hacked there ain't nothing "there" for anyone to get worked up about; no confidential documents or financial shit for example.

Honestly the whole point of the FTP server is to make transferring the occasional file (E-books mostly) to/from my work computer easy as shit for when I'm bored. No G Drive middleman shit or USB sticks. I just mapped the FTP address in my work computer as a local drive.

why would you pay for what is basically slackware and snapraid in a fancy package

How important is it to use WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf in home servers? Compared to WD Blue and Barracuda.

You can even use greens if you want, but you have to wdidle3 greens/blues to delay/disable head parking. Otherwise they'll rip themselves apart.

I don't know about seagate drives.

I don't get it, why the fuck do you fags autistically bragging about security use Discord, when Matrix was literally made to run your own nodes and shit.
You guys as so fucking backwards, it hurts.

Attached: 1533177009349.jpg (200x198, 11K)

>use Discord
Only /v/ermins use Discord.

>Matrix
No thanks I'm running a XMPP server.

>You guys as so fucking backwards, it hurts.
I guess that's true.