Fedora or Ubuntu?

i need to choose one for my new pc. but I am undecided, which is the best OS for a personal desktop?

Attached: ubuntu-vs-fedora-730x292.png (730x292, 48K)

Both are disgusting proprietary Linux, but Fedora is less shit here.

You probably want Ubuntu

Debian

i dont know user. there are some people who say that ubuntu is often bugged

Just keep Windows 10. It works

Arch

>but Fedora is less shit here
Where is here? Jow Forums?

>Implying you should base your distro install on the distro that a bunch of 16yos want would install if they had the knowledge to do so.

Ubuntu

is that you first linux?
Go Xubuntu, all the good stuff from Ubuntu but less bloat.

Choose fedora but install rpm fusion.

whats better for main PC
debian or fedora

Ubuntu is popular easy troubleshooting

You still end up with fewer packages than a Debian based install but if you enjoy compiling more than a handful of packages I guess Fedora + RPM Fusion isn't the worst choice.

On Debian I only have to compile maybe 3 packages and that sits right with me.

nope. it will be my third experience with distros linux. i use distros like mint and debian like every day on my work.

windows

then why not go with one of them since you're already familiar?
if not I'd still go with xubuntu, I have it on 3 machines of mine since it just werks and if I have any problems googling any
>how to do thing in ubuntu
always yelds a shitton of results

>i use mint
>at work

No you don't, you dumb little nigger. No one uses Mint at work.

Should I switch from Ubuntu to Solus?

They're the same shit, except rhat Ubuntu doesn't have bugs

not him but I actually did
our company was basically a subcontractor for a other large one, and we used our local compters just to remote desktop into the others company redhats for development and windows for mails/office shit

What obscure software are you using? The only things in my /usr that aren't managed by my package manager are Oracle's proprietary JDK and a really obscure gstreamer plugin that doesn't provide any packages.

Ubuntu 19.x

>coming to the place filled with 16yos and asking for advice from them

Uhhhh.....uhh....

Attached: 1473085311623.jpg (650x650, 45K)

>Should I switch from Ubuntu to Solus?
No...fucking...way
1. Ikey Doherty is an idiot who abandons every project he is involved with. I could have told you, from the beginning, that he was going to jump ship. He always does.
2. Solus has no packages
3. Solus is a pet project with very few devs. Security is in no way guaranteed with Solus.
4. The only reason you even see Solus mentioned on Jow Forums is because of one fanboy who fanatically tries to sell that greasy piece of shit distro

Manjaro

Occasionally, fa/g/lords will sperg out about which distro is truly superior—usually Arch due to its "minimalism", Debian due to its "stability", Ubuntu due to its "ease of use", et cetera. All more or less incorrect, of course; Arch's kernel has an allyesconfig which is unnecessary bloat and counterarguments its self-proclaimed DIY nature, Debian's main meme is being ancient as all hell, and Ubuntu's everything generally sucks—from apt and its ways of handling dependencies to the varied degrees of bloat you get upon a fresh install. Yes, that includes Server as well for the most part.
In comparison, Fedora is about as fresh as a distro can get. While there is certainly a good amount of pros in comparison to other distros and by itself, these are only a few that are considered integral to its out-of-the-box, comfortable enterprise experience.

>Just werks out of the box
>Systemd is implemented nicely you it doesn't bother me that much like other distros do
>Same for GNOME because GNOME is tied with systemd
>Same for SELinux which is known for making things don't work. Never had this problem on Fedora.
>It is intended to above-medium users(like sysadmins, programmers, powerusers etc.) and not linux newbies(doesn't mean it is hard to use) so it focuses more on polishing the distro and development tools rather than focusing making it "easier to use".
>The userland is 100% free software which is good, the main repo has strict licensing rules so only free software gets there, which is good, but it still has non-free firmware which is also good because not everyone has a libre computer.
>Packages are compiled with hardening options like position-independend-executable which makes Fedora very secure
>Developers are actually either Redhat developers or profesional/advanced community developers and not careless basement autists or retarded SJW trannies that remove packages just because they have the word "boob" in it.

Ubuntu LTS (install Unity if you want fast DE).
It just works with no real driver issues, and servers use it.
T. Noobuntu faggot

>used our local compters
If you mean some random computer from home that you installed Linux Mint on then okay. Otherwise, you are a lying sack of shit. No IT professional anywhere is mass deploying Linux Mint for his corporation.

Pop is the best for casuals like me. System76 did the few things that matter the most right and that's enough.
>ships with novideo drivers
>can switch between GPUs from the activity bar
>has built in power plans for decent battery life, again switchable from the activity bar

Mint

Attached: 1000px-Linux_Mint_Official_Logo.svg.png (1000x320, 80K)

Fedora just works. I use to use arch, but arch is lazy garbage.

try them both.

debian.

i think its more likely that you are the lazy garbage

Best in thread.

>>>>>install Unity if you want fast DE

Attached: 1550825284583.jpg (1462x1462, 162K)

Ubuntu manages to somehow fuck up GNOME even more than it already is, so if you want the best GNOME experience use Fedora.

Attached: 1556133247161.png (1281x722, 597K)

itt: underage retards

Ok kiddo. Maybe go tag your packages with the correct license and not do alldefconfigs and all dependency inclusive software builds.

Surprised that there hasn’t been an install gentoo. It’s actually decent if your PC isn’t from anything 5 years ago due to all the control you get and being able to fine tune everything to your liking.
If you don’t have autism, anything Ubuntu based is gonna be your best bet with good community support, lots of packages, and everything pretty much simplified so you don’t have to do much. I’d recommend PopOS due to its slick design and Xubuntu for less bloat.

I will stick to Antix. Never got any problem the this distro.

Attached: antixlogo.jpg (300x168, 5K)

I agree. How did Canonical fuck up THIS badly?

if you want a distro like Ubuntu (fast install, preinstalled software, easy troubleshooting)

Linux Mint

Ubuntu 19.04 and choose 'minimal install' during the install.

>proprietary linux

CentOs

I've messed with Ubuntu on VMs but I'm going to install Fedora for real mostly because The Linux Bible book works with RedHat/Fedora.

(Lubuntu + i3) or (Trisquel + i3)

>complains about autists sperging out about distros
>proceeds to write a sperglord dissertation on his favorite distro

Attached: hideautism.png (918x733, 210K)

Dsitros don't matter.
But out of those 2, get Fedora and install RPM Fusion if needed (there's an option in the software center)
Ubuntu has always felt sluggish to me and I don't like how they put extensions on GNOME without giving you any GUI options for them.

Ubuntu is great except for that it's on GNOME now. Fedora has GNOME too, so you might as well go Ubuntu.

ITT people who have never tried Unity.

>tfw broken PPA's

Attached: 1550705320576.png (584x475, 301K)

ubuntu only because selinux is cancer

based

I mean it is properly configured and working on Fedora, but concerning the point you were supposedly trying to make
>security bad convenience good

>they put extensions on gnome without giving you any GUI options for them
Tell me more.

that's because ubuntu doesn't ship the gnome-session by default. It's an ubuntu-session.
You need to install gnome-session and select in gdm or launch it via xinit. That's what I do everytime I have installed an ubuntu machine

Second xubuntu

if (security) {
pritnf("BAD")
} else {
printf("GOOD")
}

apparmor easier and mainlined too

aren't gnome extensions pretty shitty anyway? don't they require that browser add-on and and only configurable through a 'configure' button for each extension instead of being integrated with the DE control panel?

yes, I don't use any to be honest. Default everything. Maybe places extension and that's it.
I mean I don't know what else you want the gui to do other than display windows

ubuntu

>hardlinks your files
Nothing personnel, kid

m'distro

I love this meme, considered buying a red fedora and calling it Red Hat soon after getting into Fedora

explain like I'm a 13 years old redditor

What distro should I choose for my little sister? I'm giving her my old laptop for her to learn how to use a computer (typing, file management, english language), so I need something that won't shit itself if you just look at it. But what are actually my options?

>Ubuntu
canonical is cancer
>Fedora
selinix is a hassle and RPMs are needlessly complicated (dependency info inside the package)
>Debian
outdated packages
>install Gentoo
good joke
>Arch
might shit itself

Why is every single distro so shit?
The internet at my parents house is also slow as fuck, so I think rolling release might actually be the better choice, because many small updates > 1 big one every 6 months that will take a day to download.
Also I'm familiar with Arch and know it runs on that machine.

How viable would be just using Arch, giving my sis no sudo privileges and just did maintenance myself over ssh?

Windows 10 LTSC

Ubuntu with Unity

>Windows 10 LTSC
Won't run on that thing. The main reason I started using Linux was Win7 being slow
>Ubuntu with Unity
AmazonOS

Fedora netinstall

nothing amazon since 2015

haven't seen this copypasta in a while, thanks

just go with debian full retard addition

Try Ubuntu Mate or Linux Mint.
Regardless of you being an advanced Linux user or a beginner, these should be just fine for you.
Also, try both installs and see if any of them has issues with your hardware setup, and also which one you like best.
Fedora is also good, but, in my personal opinion, not so good for a personal machine. But, this is just my personal opinion.
Cheers!