What is the point of wine to exist when QEMU is already a thing?

What is the point of wine to exist when QEMU is already a thing?

Attached: index.jpg (259x194, 3K)

Uh, for QEMU you still need the target OS

Like It`s hard to find a win 7 iso nowadays.

To run software that depends on the windows api/executable format

Wine is a compatibility layer.
You don't have to run the entire botnet to use botnet apps.

>To run software that depends on the windows api/executable format

Attached: 700.jpg (200x313, 10K)

...so why not just install win 7 on the machine?

...so why not just install win 7 on the machine?

Attached: aB0rqGx_700b.jpg (700x692, 39K)

And pretty much twice the hardware.

>being poor
I`m unironically playing Windows games flawlessly on my distro while laughing at those plebs expecting for changes that won`t happen anytime soon.

Okay great, now you can stop supplying us with photos from your family album.

Can you use a shit GPU for the host and a gaming GPU for the guest?

Yes. I`m using an integrated card for my host, kek. just werks

>It's another ganoo loonix user doesn't have X software on their neckbeard OS.

I'm not poor, but I do take issue with leaving this very important detail. You're trying to sell this like it's some kind of magical VM. It's not. The only advantage to this situation is being able to run two operating systems while gaming on one of them. Woo. You may as well save the cash and dual boot or just by a dedicated gaming machine. This nothing more than a parlor trick for neckbeards. A meme, if you will.

> not running Xen hypervisor

What is Qemu?

Linuxtards are trying to run windows software in Linux for decades, meanwhile Microsoft implements the Linux subsystem in one clean swipe.

Attached: r3cdknl5fo721.png (413x367, 333K)

no

Attached: myfamily.jpg (800x528, 97K)

hmmm... how can that be? maybe because windows is closed source??

Attached: 1550783980134.jpg (691x828, 91K)

if closed source is such a bad thing then why the fuck are lincucks trying to run winblow apps on linux?

Well with qemu I have to use so much of the host machine I can't really swap back and forth and qemu can't game without GPU passthrough that gimps the host further

strawman

Because we need it for our jobs, and it's hard to compete with proprietary software because most methods of reverse engineering it can land your ass in jail.

>WSL
It's slow as shit and doesn't support graphical programs. Considering that GNU/Linux is open source they did a pretty shitty job.

>want to run a little open source but windows only 500KB program
would you rather;
a. open QEMU, wait for windows 7 to boot in it, use ~1GB of ram, ~10G disk space, wait 30 seconds, and run lots of proprietary software
or
b. double click on the executable, it opens in 2 seconds, you use barely more ram than the program itself uses normally, and you don't run anything proprietary

not ever linux user is stallman level anti proprietary software, i'd say most are fine with just keeping usage to a minimum
i'm personally fine with running a few tools and games in wine with limited resource access (using firejail to keep them isolated from my user data and from the network if they don't need it), and i'd rather do that in linux/wine than in windows
many windows users seem to think we 'put up with' linux purely to get away from proprietary software, i enjoy using linux more than i do windows, regardless of philosophy, if linux was non-free/shared source, i'd probably still use it, linux being a nicer system outweighs the fact it's foss for me, that's just a bonus

well for the record, you can just suspend your qemu session, but qemu isn't really a "real solution" as far as being easy to set up. I have a nvidia card so I can't do anything that would require GPU passthrough because they borked the card to prevent it from going through.

>you can just suspend your qemu session
you're right, and that can save some time at the expense of disk space, but even resuming qemu takes more time than to spin up a wine instance
can qemu with a passed-through gpu be suspended?

based

WINE and QEMU perform completely different jobs.
WINE re-implements the Windows libraries and interfaces, allowing windows applications to run natively on non-Windows operating systems.
QEMU emulates entire computer architectures and their associated hardware.

Say that for whatever reason you wanted to run a Windows program on your Android phone, which is neither x86 nor running Windows. You could accomplish this by using QEMU to translate the x86 program into ARM, and then use WINE to provide the Windows libraries required by the program.
This results in significantly less overhead than just running a Windows VM on Android like a fucking caveman.

yes you can suspend with passthru hardware, but if you are using a VM that shares resources with the host OS, suspending causes some weird issues. I learned this the hard way when I suspended a windows VM that had a system partition mounted, when I resumed the VM, no changes to that partition persisted either from the host or the VM, I had to reboot to make sure everything came to a consistent state.

>QEMU
>wine
Fucking retards. Just dual boot.

qemu is a virtualization program. Wine is porting win32 apis and libraries over to linux, it' s a total different approach

wine doesn't port libraries from windows to linux, they're written from scratch

no your not you're playing them on windows

I have an nvidia card too and I pass it to my windows 7 VM because I actually did some research on the error instead of crying on Jow Forums.