Why haven't they made a high end cpu?

They have the license that allows them to produce x86-64 processors, so why not build high end ones?
>inb4 Zhaoxin
That company is focusing on creating x86 cpus for the Chinese Government.

Attached: 1200px-VIA_Technologies_logo.svg.png (1200x550, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaoxin
viaembeddedstore.com/shop/boards/epia-p910/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Even if they could somehow overcome the inherently low-end/low-power orientation of Centaur architectures with undoubtedly millions or billions of dollars in R&D, nobody knows their name and the whole venture would probably be a waste of time and money.

The only people remotely interested in a high-end VIA chip are a very small group of contrarians and hipsters who just want novelty for novelty's sake and 90% of the time aren't even prepared to pay for it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaoxin

I want a third competitor, because I want to see more competition.

>wahhhhhhhh competition bad

Even in the event that VIA could in any way become competitive when even a decades-old player like AMD can only do so intermittently, neither of you actually want VIA processors, you merely want them to make them hoping it will compel the Invisible Hand of the Free Market™ to lower the prices of the Intel and AMD components you will continue buying.

So yeah, my point still stands, though I agree that there is a third group corresponding to the above I neglected to mention, but they don’t really count because they will never buy VIA products for some excuse or another except perhaps as a virtue signaling accessory if it’s still cheap enough.

Bullshit, I would totally buy a VIA CPU were it competitive with Ryzen and Skylake.

I doubt it, but it doesn’t matter either way, because as I already stated it will never happen. VIA doesn’t care about gamers.

Because they don't have the resources to do it?

Do they still make any CPUs, besides the chinese deal?

Then instead of wanting another x86 competitor, which won't happen, hope that risc-v ends up hitting primetime with RV64GC

They have stuff available it depends what you need. If win10 gaming you'll be happier in botnet land probably. Interesting thing about everytime these or non-intel/amd are discussed the "must convince you to not use it shill" floods the thread with yiddish.

Their whole R&D were purchased by Zhaoxin and they won't make new processors anymore because Zhaoxin will handle all new productions.They are just the IP holder of Zhaoxin for the moment.
It's a shame that it is harder than ever to buy a botnet-free x86 CPU other than old Intel/AMD because of this.

It's indeed interesting that people with differing or more informed opinions often like to voice them in a thread relevant to the subject, but I'm not quite sure where anyone is telling you that you aren't allowed to use it, or whether any language other than plain English has been spoken here, why don't you enlighten us?

t.israeli IP address

What's the point of this?

viaembeddedstore.com/shop/boards/epia-p910/

Never seen an SBC before?

jim keller didn't want to move to taiwan. yet.

I mean, in the modern era, is it still worth a purchase if I want a low powered x86 system?

>decades-old player
>not VIA
Newkids, I swear - learn some history moron.

Sure, but like anything else it depends on your use case.
VIA has been a low-cost/embedded-focused chipmaker from the moment they acquired their x86 license, they've never been a major figure in desktop computing.

ya ok, retard.

here's your (you)