Whats the best Linux, I've finally hit the wall with windows. I am tired of my ram being chewed up on useless things...

Whats the best Linux, I've finally hit the wall with windows. I am tired of my ram being chewed up on useless things. whats the best Linux for me if I mostly just browse and gaym

Attached: 1556489998991.jpg (320x320, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/download.php
kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
ubuntubudgie.org/downloads
system76.com/pop
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just use Ubuntu

All I do is play paradox gayms and browse this awful website

>gaym
Xubuntu is a good linux.

Xubuntu like people said

Manjaro fedora and solus are also good ones

Manjaro or Pop!_OS will be good for keeping your drivers up to date without bullshit.

>gaym

You'll inevitably encounter issues if want to game. Despite this:
>Ubuntu
Personally I dislike Ubuntu but it is supposed to be a well rounded distro. It'll be the one you find the most help and resources for. It's typically the one most supported by companies as well.
>fedora
Recently redhat got bought by IBM so if you care about that don't go fedora, but otherwise I highly recommend it. Easy to use,great default desktop environment, some bloat but less than Ubuntu, and they try to be bleeding edge which is always appealing.
>arch
Not for starting out.
>gentoo
Ignore the memes and avoid
>Debian
Very stable, their devs take some weird decisions but if you want to benefit from the Ubuntu support without the bullshit Ubuntu comes with, go there

Linux lite.

Linux from scratch.

Just switched today. I can play most of my games. You have to google and learn a lot for the first while.

Attached: abe3zpl36bb21.jpg (1920x1080, 1.06M)

>being chewed up on useless things
Useless things like caching right?

Linux's memory caching is far better and more transparent to applications, and doesn't page anywhere near as aggressively by default.

>Whats the best Linux
Slackware. Everything else has been infected by systemd.

Linux Mint.

There's literally nothing wrong with systemd.

Windows does not list memory being used for caching as being "in use". Any memory Windows wastes is less memory that can be used for cache.

Gentoo is the best for gaming

Linux is a kernel. Latest stable version should be fine for most people.

Xubuntu

LFS. Distros are a meme.

>complaining about ram usage
>playing unity games

Background processes using up memory is MORE of a problem when you're playing shittily made games.

Whatever's popular on Distrowatch really. Neckbeards will always find things to nitpick about every distro, so just go with something with good support and a large userbase.

Linux is a kernel, you install it in operating systems.

Install arch
Try out whatever DE looks cool
Never worry about your distro ever again

Gentoo is the best for gaming atm. Their custom drivers, or "compi-latted" drivers are just way too good to not use them. In fact, this is one of the biggest problems with Linux gaming: even when the best drivers are tailored and optimized for Gentoo they run better than the native ones from the Debian Family (DF), Arch and even Fedora, who is now backed by the Red Hat Enterprises.
So, go Gentoo, alternatively Xubuntu.

No. Stop repeating stale memes without doing research. Linux is an operating system.

>xubuntu
bloat

No. It's a fucking kernel.

does the majority of arch users really run it without selinux enabled? wtf

>gaym
manjaro, most shit just works

Not gonna lie, Lennox does the same thing but at least you can put a command to a terminal and flush the caches

I've actually just installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. Works magnificently. Still using Debian on main though.

>whats the best Linux for me if I mostly just browse and gaym
LTSC

>Debian
>if you want to benefit from the Ubuntu support without the bullshit Ubuntu comes with
lol, you should probably make it more clear to him that he needs to go get his Debian support from the Ubuntu community, because the Debian community is just going to make fun of him and call him a niqqer.
ask me how I know

>ask me how I know
You are an assblasted nigger?

that's not an unfair statement

>You have to google and learn a lot for the first while.
Read the man pages.

i use xubuntu and it's comfy, very customizable

First time users should use Ubuntu. Any version of it is fine, though. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and so on. You can also install one of them and install a new desktop environment later straight to that. After that you can choose the DE when logging in.

Ubuntu (comes with GNOME) will most likely feel heaviest of them. You might not want it if you are looking for lightweight.

I use Devuan GNU/Linux and I've found the best Linux to me to be linux-image-grsec-amd64

please dont recommend newbies to install several DEs in the same ubuntu installation, something always gets fucked up and your home dir becomes a mess
not to mention the usual "i've tried to uninstall the other DEs and removed half of my OS by mistake"

Anything with KDE. Kubuntu, KDE Neon, OpenSUSE, etc. All of them are easy to use. Gnome is trash, stay away from it.

Attached: kde-plasma-3.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

use ubuntu until you feel like a normie, then switch to an arch based distro (for aur) and then switch to pure arch when you're tired of being bullied by the elitist arch users

I'm using Ubuntu but when I need newer software I just compile from source inside Flatpaks. Is the best of both worlds.
Arch is better UX but I don't trust their infrastructure (everything, not (only) aur). When you use Debian/Ubuntu you have a million eyes around the world checking packages daily. A lot of enterprise production installs. Arch? Maybe a handful of spergs running ownCloud.

Attached: flatpak.png (256x256, 64K)

What's a non-bloat version of xubuntu? I just want a good distro that has xfce. Linux Mint xfce is better but it's not enough, it's also bloated as hell.

Linux-libre

Attached: 2000px-Freedo.svg.png (2000x1955, 263K)

Install ubuntu 19.04, plebe

Debian's nonfree netinstall iso. When going through the installation and it asks for a password leave it blank. Then it'll set your user to have sudo access so you're not running as root all the time.

If you have intel hardware use linux mint. If you're using and hardware use manjaro. Especially if you're using an apu. Linux mint was a buggy piece of shit with my ryzen 3 2200g but I've had zero issues with manjaro.

Attached: 1556411473020.png (1250x1750, 1.62M)

Based

thats fucking retarded, nothing gives any fucks what hardware you have (unless its optimus in which case it's broken)

>what is void

Yes it does retard. Linux mint comes with kernel 4.15 which doesn't support ryzen apu's. I updated to 4.18 which worked but kept crashing. I updated again to 4.20 and it still kept crashing. Switched to manjaro and havent had a single problem.

Mint's well past 4.15 and "it crashed" isn't a real problem. I don't have anything against manjaro (except not being arch) but distro hopping isn't what fixes problems.

Debian is bad for beginners in my opinion. For example having to enable proprietary drivers, or needing to manually enable sudo. Ubuntu or Mint seem the best choices for beginners, Mint seems a bit less buggy than Ubuntu. IDK about Manjaro, people keep telling me how it is way buggier than arch.

Meant to say proprietary software/repos not just drivers

Except it is a real problem especially when I'm trying to get work done. And apparently distro hopping does work because I haven't had a single problem.

Nigger

Linux Mint (Mate)

I got you covered, OP.
Download one of these distros, depending on which DE you want:
>Xfce or Cinnamon
Linux Mint: linuxmint.com/download.php
>KDE
Kubuntu: kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
>Budgie
Ubuntu Budgie: ubuntubudgie.org/downloads
>GNOME
PopOS: system76.com/pop

Make sure you download the latest, non-LTS version if you have an AMD or Intel GPU because LTS won't have the latest drivers.
I'd recommend anything that isn't GNOME.

You post like someone who's also new to Linux and shouldn't actually give advice.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

best post

MX Linux maybe

unironically xubuntu. You get all of the benefit of a corporate-backed cash flow with the freedom and customizability with Linux. If it's low ram consumption you're concerned with, the xfce desktop, with some slight modifications, is going to be your best bet above command line.

the debian community are all purple-haired sjw trannies so i highly doubt that

Crux, you fucking mongoloid.