Why do audio(pedo)philes still fall for the tube meme...

Why do audio(pedo)philes still fall for the tube meme? Don't they understand that they degrade the signal exponentially more than solid state amps?

Attached: .org.chromium.Chromium.jpg (1000x1000, 216K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>it looks cool AF

>t. never heard a tube amp

Buzzzzzz

>Don't they understand that they degrade the signal exponentially more than solid state amps?
It's not degredation if I like it!

>this thread again

HUH?

Ok calm down commie.

>wanting horribly sterile-sounding audio
Disgusting.

>Paying hundreds of dollars to add hum to your audio.

>not paying hundreds of dollars to add hum to your audio

It's pure autism, sometimes the tubes aren't even connected to anything, they just put them there as a placebo for audiophile retards.

>tubes
you mean light bulbs

>tube amp
Does it make any cool lights in the tube while playing?

"But it makes the music sound warmer"
Fucking dipshits

Where did the TOOOBS touch you

Attached: c2cd2d3f.jpg (500x667, 44K)

As a guitarist actually tube amps sound better ('warmer') than the plasticky sound from a solid state.

What happens is that they start out by appreciating music. They buy better quality equipment, They start reading magazines about amplifiers and wires and all that shit. The music becomes boring to them, All they want to hear now is the sound of their own farts. At first it is just their own fart they want to hear, then they start listening to the farts of others. They start congregating online where they all fart together in unison, tweaking their farts as they are released. They learn to pitch their farts in tune with each other. They look at the equipment each other is farting through they examine each others valve driven arse and twiddle with their own. They are the height of tuned arse farting

Are we talking about modular synths now?

That face when you realise you have eaten a sack of horse shit and now own an expensive box of valves that have no better sound reproduction than a $50 nigga box

Attached: 1fed873213084d82a94f40d924041ca0_18.jpg (998x562, 207K)

If by sterile you mean not distorted then yes I do quite like the sound of my music closer to how it was recorded.

>using filthy hum inducing electricity to listen to music
lmao at your pathetic life
youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

Attached: jap.jpg (799x537, 55K)

just to remind that Line Magnetic is absolute best-buy in tube amps

Attached: 5D824756-989C-4D21-897B-AF00239F32CA.jpg (640x640, 50K)

I think the modern audiopedo starts with good intentions of just wanting better sound and then ends up reading "hifi" magazines and websites that push them to buy snakeoil bullshit. Once they fall for that once, they fall for it for life.

AC hum and and will occur in pretty much anything that isn't properly grounded.

yes but once you've recorded the sounds from your guitar tube amp do you want to make them warmer still by playing them back through a hifi tube amp

This. The purpose of a guitar amp versus a playback system are different.

I have no problem with people liking their music super warm though. Whatever makes everyone happy. The harmonic distortions of tubes are something that would be impossible to mimic with EQ or something.

Good solid state amp = nice photograph.

Good tube amp = nice painting.

Attached: Albert_Bierstadt_-_Among_the_Sierra_Nevada,_California_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg (3993x2387, 2.96M)

Any audiophile should publicly lynched without trial.

where do u retards come from, middle school?

makes sense for guitar heads.
but running a complete, finished mix through a tube amp because you want that "analog warmth" is akin to taking a fine-art photo and running it through one of those algorithms that make it look like a painting.

Because analog vs digital

solid state electronics are still analog ya doofus. there's no conversion to PCM or other binary formats going on.

>Good solid state amp = nice photograph.
>Good tube amp = blurry photograph
Fixed that for you

>call yourself an audiophile
>have shit taste in music

Attached: 1556512377704.jpg (556x702, 125K)

>Actually using audiophile gear to listen to music.
I hope nobody does this.

don't ever go to /mu/

What the fuck does warmer even mean?

I can't hear you over
MUH GLASS CATHODES
that I ejaculate onto JUST so I can clean them

Mostly memories from old time.
First transistor amps were fucking horrible.

>implying audiophiles know anything about electronics

Not him but a tube guitar amp sounds "warmer" by creating a more natural sounding tone. An overdriven tube amp sounds smoother and less sterile than a solid state amp using similar settings. The "warmth" of sorts adds extra texture to a distorted signal. Even then, plenty of guitarists use solid state amplifiers such as jazz guitarists for cleaner sounds but the vast majority use tube amplifiers.

>t. never heard a tube amp

>call yourself and audiophile
>only listens to music through spotify

Tubes have a sonic signature unique to them, even each tube has its own sound signature. There are a lot of things going on. Some things are good about them, some not so good. They often have much less output than their solid state counterparts, and because of that are usually working harder. Tubes, when pressed, move into clipping gently by first saturating (which just sound warm and fat) and gradually begin producing second order harmonics (which sound like the musical octave) as they begin to distort. With solid state devices, the change from clean to distorted is sudden and extreme - but you generally never get to an amp clipping with todays general use, but tube amps are often operating in a nonlinear stage. Almost all tube power amplifiers use transformers, which may limit the low bass notes to a degree (and impact speaker damping in the low range), they can provide a pleasant "burnished" mid-range tone, just where the important parts of human voices, pianos and guitars exist. The dynamic nature of tubes causes them to pass through slightly different operating conditions, over their range of output wattage. The result is a hint of natural compression that takes a little of the edge off of transients, as the volume goes up.

A lot of early speakers were brighter too, and tube amps really made those sound better or less fatiguing. Remember early speakers were designed to be used with tube amps, so when solid state came along a lot of those speakers no longer sounded so great and that created a whole lot of myths.

I have heard plenty of guitar tube amps. No fucking clue why you would want to use one for play back.

So have I, and headphone tube amps are nothing like guitar amps.

>Sound degradation is the only important factor audiophiles care about
Tubes sound warm a FUCK boy. Makes you feel good. It's hard to digitally replicate the way a tube setup sounds from what I hear from others.

The same way some audiophiles don't mind at all listening to vinyls and shiet. It's not peak clarity they're after it's peak sound.

because it sounds good and different

LOL

Imagine if you were that much of a poof that you owned a valve amp like the ones in this thread. Hahahaha you may as well throw on a tutu, do a twirl, and call yourself Shirley

audiophiles love hifi equipment, melomaniacs love music. similar difference between car people and people who like driving.

Attached: 1545207497862.jpg (500x320, 73K)

if they want peak sound they should treat their fucking rooms

i see audiophiles spend tens of thousands on literal memes and then badly place their set up in an inappopriate room with no passive and active treatment to compensate for the rooms inherent acoustic flaws.

if they took even half the money the total money they spend on all their dumb shit and instead got 'inferior' audio equipment but had a well treated room they would get so much closer to the "peak sound" that they are after.

Solid state introduces unnatural digital harmonics to the sound which degrades the quality of the music and can cause ear fatigue.

Vacuum tube amplifiers on the other side introduce pleasant natural harmonics that actually make things sound much better and warm.

There's a reason you can find solid states for cheap everywhere while virtually all tube amps go along with a hefty price tag attached to them.

Not really about the sound. Gear acquisition syndrome.

>As a guitarist actually tube amps sound better ('warmer') than the plasticky sound from a solid state.
Sure. But there is a huge difference between performing/recording with a tube amp and listening to playback through one. You wouldn't want to listen to music recorded with a tube amp on a sound system also utilizing a tube amp.

yikes

The bass is kinda different on tube vs solid state amp. I'm no EE fag but a technician that worked on audio told me its related to the output impedance and the inability of the tube amp to efficiently deal with current induced in the moving speaker coil. He said it could be emulated with transistors if the circuit is designed that way but since it sounded worse it's not done very often.

tube amplifiers are like a fine scotch, versus solid state are like a keystone light

>>>>"Desirable Analog Distortion"

Some people like their sound colored, OP. Much like how your wife likes her men.

Because they look nice.

Attached: tubes.jpg (1600x1200, 950K)

I don't even have an external DAC or amp, I just connect my headphones to my MB.
Audiophools tell me that's retarded but I don't think that's true

Ever listen to an amp from the 70's? Like a Marantz or old Pioneer. They are solid state but have a distinctly different sound than modern amps. It's weird shit.

i've always found the vintage mid price-range solid state gear to sound the best personally. some people like messing with tubes because they're used to doing it from playing electric guitar and want something to nerd out about i guess. others just have money to blow on "the best" ie most expensive audio and home theatre stuff

You want the most neutral amp? Go with solid state amp.

You want an old shitty colored unstable overpriced jewed gimmick amp? Go with tubes. The vinyl meme is worst tho

Attached: mk.jpg (4608x3456, 3.69M)

Interesting

No, it's not.

But look how cool they are.

Attached: macro_nikon_vacuum_tube_tubes_houston_mini_stereo-939491.jpg!d.jpg (1600x1034, 302K)

So tube amps are worse but people buy them because they look pretty?

bro what the hell

Because Analog = S O U L
and digital = soulless

The first recordings had hums. The amps on the soundstage had hums. All instruments when plugged into older amps emit a hum.

It's not snake oil, it's getting audio to sound close to the original incarnations of recordings and amps.

T. Guy who buys a thousand dollars tube amp to listen to kpop and anime OSTs.

They are objectively worse but can be subjectively more pleasant to listen to

tubes help keep you warm in winter here in canada

Attached: a028.jpg (640x425, 69K)

because autism

Tubes are superior and botnet free, also they are not vulnerable to meltdown and spectre.

Not even an audiophile but
>Why do people with an hobby spend money on said hobby?
I'll give you a minute to figure that out for yourself