Emacs setup general

Seeing a lot of people lately throw praise at Emacs without posting their setups, so post your setups

t. Vim user considering the transition

Attached: 1024px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (1024x1024, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi
github.com/snackon/Witchmacs)(I
github.com/snackon/Witchmacs
github.com/daedreth/UncleDavesEmacs/blob/master/config.org
github.com/Alexander-Miller/treemacs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not home so can't post screenshot
but
>Org mode
Absolutely killer for me, use it for organization, finances, presentations, essays. Pretty much killed any other office program for me.
>SLiME/Geiser
REPL integration which makes it unbeatable for lisp type languages
>ELisp
Far easier and more powerful for me to program in than vimscript
>EShell
Combines bash with an elisp repl, very useful but breaks on "tui" type applications. Stick to command line only in eshell, no curses

Install Spacemacs

i'm too brainlet to config init.el so i installed doom and i like it

Attached: 1552447173796.jpg (1024x1004, 556K)

Install doom-emacs

do you guys run emacs gui or in the terminal?

There's no reason to not use the GUI version as your main instance if you're already running X. I use terminal emacs only if I need to quickly open some file from a non-emacs terminal.

>so post your setups
what exactly do you want to see?
If you are a vim user considering trying emacs without evil mode I'd advise you to check out god-mode.
gui for doing anything that takes more than 5s

Attached: emacs.png (2560x1440, 782K)

Using Spacemacs and happy with it.
Just Werkz
Pic related is how my Clojure setup usually looks like:
work buffer, REPL, and popup with documentation, stack traces, shell, etc.
It's the same on my work machine.

Attached: Screenshot_20190422_220601.png (1366x768, 144K)

Emacs is not comparable to vim
Emacs is more comparable to Unix
I perfer Unix over Emacs

gui unless I broke something

>what exactly do you want to see?
just some various setups to see whether I'm interested or not. I'll still use evil mode/vim keybindings. I'm currently tiling all my terminal windows and browser so I'm kinda intrigued about the idea of launching one program and having everything ready right away.

How do I use Emacs as a non-linear video editor? Want to leave kdenlive, looking for alternatives.

Attached: 15559600531392.jpg (808x673, 183K)

What's the project overview buffer on the left?

Neotree

are you a male or female? asking for a female friend. He wants to transition, too.

Why the fuck are you writing raw latex instead of using org-mode

No bully, didn't know you can use org for tex, but then again you can use org for everything...

How did you get a pdf document to show that nicely in Emacs?

I use latex-preview-pane, not sure if that answers your question thoe...

What you have in that screenshot is cleaner to do in org, just write it as you usually would and do C-c C-e to export. Math-heavy stuff where you write a lot of inline math is better done in raw LaTeX though.
It seems to just be docview, which is what you get by default when you open any pdf in emacs.

teach me your ways wizard
also, are you using Vollkorn? If so god tier taste 100%

I recently switched. Things like evil-collection made it really easy. C-x C-f opens a file, try it out and look up things as you go.

Attached: doom-theme.png (1916x1900, 818K)

not much except for irony, company and flycheck
it's a top sepples coding setup

what's your colorscheme?

Spacemacs light

emacs is the best editor user. Although I use vim keybindings, I think once you get to grips with emacs and write your first elisp snippet to automate something you are on your way to become a code wizard.
I started using Sublime because IDE editing capabilities sucked. Switched to vim because I wanted even more editing power. Emacs is just the next natural step.

thanks for the tip, will try writing it in org-mode
I'm in no way a wizard, and no that's not Vollkorn (not sure what font I'm using desu)

if you're allowed a terminal in Emacs, can you technically open Vim in Emacs?

Pretty sure the font is fira mono.

yes, you can open vim, emacs, nano etc in emacs

alright I'm sold

Yeah, but switching to and from insert mode is all kinds of fucked if you're using evil.

so by opening Vim in Emacs, I'm still restricted to Emacs keybinds?

no, not if you use the terminal in emacs. Don't use the emacs shell for this. you can use any keybind in vim that's not C-c because that's reserved for emacs.

>can you technically open Vim in Emacs?
Yes, but if you're thinking of actually using it, that's retarded. Just use evil-mode if you want a vi-like editing scheme.

I'm still in the transition phase from Vim to Emacs Evil, but I ported most of my vimrc

Attached: 2019-04-29-221832_1762x1914_scrot.png (1762x1914, 376K)

could you post your neotree config? thanks user

this requires use-package
(use-package neotree
:ensure t
:defer t
:init
(setq neo-theme (if (display-graphic-p) 'icons 'arrow))
(global-set-key "\C-t" 'neotree-toggle))

(use-package all-the-icons
:ensure t)

then you run M-x all-the-icons-install-fonts . This also binds neotree to C-t

Comfy setup, what do you use for the small icons om the left?

all-the-icons package

I don't know how much a single screenshot can really convey, but here's my basic Clojure setup with an interactive debugger running in the left buffer. Other dynamic languages probably have something similar.

Attached: emacs.png (1884x1022, 261K)

neotree with all-the-icons, see
for my config.

neat, that makes it look better

Attached: 2019-04-29-224357_1762x1914_scrot.png (1762x1914, 399K)

emacs with xmonad handling the frames

Attached: 1556570850.png (1920x1080, 448K)

how do I set up Emacs autocompletion (or company) for certain languages without having to install a lot of dependencies that I never use?

It all depends on the language. Company is just a completion frontend. Most languages have their own backends which actually point company to the correct functions, etc.

What languages?

So there is no way of circumventing the dependencies, then?
I want to set up Emacs for python development but don't know where to start or want to litter my system with packages I'll never use

Attached: 1541562073055.gif (148x111, 264K)

Looks good user.

thanks

You shouldn't need to use your system's package manager to install anything, since all of the backend stuff is just an elisp wrapper for something already defined by your installation of the language. I'm not familiar with python, but this seems to be what you want github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi

Switched from Vim to Emacs over a year ago.

Attached: emacs-setup-2019.png (1434x876, 227K)

Guix looks pretty cool. Is it easy to define even complex packages like qtwebengine? The only thing stopping me from switching is the lack of an up-to-date qutebrowser.

is your .emacs.d in github or something?

yes but in a privat repo, is there any specific part you want? alot of it is similar to the witchmacs config (github.com/snackon/Witchmacs)(I don't use evil mode). I can paste segments of my config if you want anything specific.

I'm not too experienced with guix, but defining packages is pretty straightforward if it uses a standard build system.

woops, github.com/snackon/Witchmacs

Thank you, I'll check out Witchmacs

Previous threads:
I'm keeping track because I still haven't looked through them properly in order to make improvements for myself.

Checking out Uncle Dave's config and/or youtube series is also highly recommended.
github.com/daedreth/UncleDavesEmacs/blob/master/config.org

I moved from Vim 3 years ago, never looked back, got straight into vanilla Emacs as Evil seemed to be clunky combined with emacs shortcuts. Now I use vim just for short sessions and editing while in terminal, or skimming code from terminal. For everything else I use Emacs.

One of the main reasons why I enjoyed writing code in Emacs (besides much more powerful scripting language and REPLs) is how it handles indentation. Compared to Vim which is clunky as fuck.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 23.57.32.png (3012x1978, 1.19M)

What's that font? Looks neat.

Not him, but looks like fira mono.

bump

its plain old DejaVu Sans Mono

Typo:
>The ability too see

Lads, is there any way to get a decent C++ environment in Emacs on WIndows?

Oh thanks user

>Slime
Now, I might be a brainlet, but how exactly is having a REPL open at all time helping with developing in Lisp? Couldn't you just open a clisp REPL in a terminal?
And still, what exactly is the purpose? It's not like it lets you change things in the running code...

Just give up before you lose your mind
Yeah, you can. There's a bunch of `slime-eval...` commands that you can call to reevaluate the current function, buffer, or whatever. It also allows you to jump to the source of functions/variables.

You can evaluate individual s-expressions without switching to a different program. A detached terminal clisp REPL knows nothing about your editor.

>how exactly is having a REPL open at all time helping with developing in Lisp
You can quickly evaluate parts of your code that's in your editor, in your slime REPL, if this makes sense.
>It's not like it lets you change things in the running code
You can connect to a remote lisp program (that has the slime back-end) and modify it while it's running.

There are also really neat packages like lispy/lispyville which integrate with a Lisp REPL and let you press a keybinding to evaluate an s-expression and insert the result directly into your buffer as Lisp code. Pretty useful for playing around with outputs of your functions.

can I use emacs to watch video?

I like how there's emacs threads sometimes on Jow Forums but sometimes they just don't take off well enough and just kinda linger - it'd be neat if there was an IRC for it or something, I don't know, just an idea

Have you heard of treemacs?
github.com/Alexander-Miller/treemacs
Although I use neither treemacs or neotree, since I almost always work in the context of a project, Projectile covers everything and I can just find the file in the project with it. With Helm, I also get fuzzy matching for it.
All the tree displays just take screen real estate, and that's one of the reason I run away from IDEs. Too much clutter.

Nice. Cider has the best lisp debugger out of elisp, scheme and clojure. never played around with CL on emacs

So I'm kind of in the same situation as OP, I use vim with tmux and I'm pretty happy with it, but org-mode looks pretty enticing and I'm stuck with the vim extension for it, which of course isn't as good as native. I'm quite fond of the terminal and the tools in it I use, is it worth it?

You can also open Emacs in Emacs for the lulz. Just make sure you get your escape sequences right.