Will my electronics really get fried if I don't use a surge protector

Will my electronics really get fried if I don't use a surge protector

Attached: mbank252603_w1400_h1400.jpg (1400x1400, 61K)

If there's a surge, yes

Is there ever one? I've used many electronics without a surge protector and never had any problems.

Rarely nowadays, if you live in a well developed area anyway, but there's always a slight chance a lightning bolt will hit your power pole

I shit you not, when my parents bought a brand new windows 98 machine their house was struck by lighting twice in the span of one year. The second strike FUCKED the PC.

You pay maybe $5 extra per power strip so your thousands of dollars of electronics don't all immediately get destroyed from some power pole accident or an act of God. It's worth it for me.

"surge protector" power strips don't really protect you from much though. The surge protection is invariably just a couple of cheap MOVs. Those have a limited capacity - they definitely won't do shit against lightning - and they also wear out. In two or three years your surge-protector powerboard is now a non-surge-protecting powerboard.

The only thing you're really getting for the extra money is the words "surge protection" printed on the packaging.

You don't need an airbag if you never get in a car accident

>please predict the future for me

>surge
Witnessed this myself.
Playstation 1 suddenly smelled funny like burnt coconuts.

They could
Even if it fails, some come with fairly extensive warranties whic can justify the cost.

If your home electrical wiring doesn't have protection then yes.

>Is there ever one?
if you live on some shitty part of the electric grid then yes, surges are a possibility, especially during storms. seen it happen before.

Why do american sockets have a face like this?

They are shocked.

Stupid question here.

Last night I spilt Fanta Grape on the floor and I believe some of it went into the power supply.

Do I have to chuck it out or will it dry and be okay?

It'll be fine. Just put it in the microwave for a few mins.

Lightning once came through my router and fried my network adapter

Thanks.

I heard that'll dry out all the moisture.

Was it Fanta Grape zero? if so chuck it. If not, should be fine.

It was Grape Zero, that's all they sell here.

It's so good though.

I'm probably just going to get a new one... The green surge protector light went out so I'm guessing it's not protected anymore.

Yea. Some surge protectors also have ports for ethernet connections too for this exact reason

Yeah decent surge protectors with high joule rating are fairly expensive. Pic related is $75, 3840 joule rating, and has $50k insurance

Attached: tl.jpg (1200x1200, 48K)

Currently using pic related. 3020 joules.

Attached: surgearrest.jpg (1464x600, 64K)