Soldering iron vs gun

Used soldering iron in school, should I get soldering gun or soldering iron for housework

Attached: soldergun.jpg (225x225, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=psdc_13837391_t1_B07MFPYSF6
amazon.com/gp/product/B077V1VND5?pf_rd_p=f3acc539-5d5f-49a3-89ea-768a917d5900&pf_rd_r=6YY4VMZB8S658AB7EP90
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fucking beats me OP, what are you working on?
Doing heavy duty soldering for automotive? A gun.
Doing electronics? A good soldering iron station.
Plumbing? A torch.

just get an ifixit pen, since you're not doing anything major. A gun won't offer much precision in terms of handling.

Soldering iron any day.

Soldering gun is good for quick fixes but for anything remotely serious, precise and especially PCBs use a soldering iron.

depends on how hot you need something vs how fine control you need
gun isn't precise, but will heat much faster.

Don't buy a trashy pen iron, get a good Hakko station. Its some of the best performance/price you can get.
amazon.com/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=psdc_13837391_t1_B07MFPYSF6
Get that and a set of a dozen different tips and you'll be set for years.

>a dozen
Hakko tips are like 8 to 10 bucks each. There is no need to buy so many, just buy 3 good tips and tin them before and after. You wont ever use more than 3 tips.

There are knock off tips that fit Hakko that work just fine.
I always recommend Hakko stations, but never their accessories, thats where they hardcore price gouge.

To follow up on that, I use this set
amazon.com/gp/product/B077V1VND5?pf_rd_p=f3acc539-5d5f-49a3-89ea-768a917d5900&pf_rd_r=6YY4VMZB8S658AB7EP90
$9 and works really well. I don't doubt that they wont last as long as actual Hakko tips, but even if it lasts just half as long it's still WAY better off for the price.

find the most obscure and difficult tool for soldering and Jow Forumsoobers will tell you that its the only acceptable way

I do the opposite. For the price of that cheap Hakko you can get a chink clone with hot gun. Afaik none show real calibrated temp for that price range. Then I buy quality hakko tips. The chink ones are made of rusty shit.
But for pro work I'd probably buy Hakko.

The iron is for small PCB pads and thru-holes, while the gun is for big fuckoff wires

A cheapish chinkshit soldering station that takes Hakko tips.

Attached: DSCN0169c.jpg (6704x4176, 3.74M)

Iron, with adjustable temp

Attached: DSCN0200a.webm (640x480, 2.71M)

wtf is this deathtrap?

Try reading the largest text in the image

Iron of course.

Attached: solderingiron.jpg (1024x1249, 249K)

Thoughts on weller?

Please, someone plug that one in right now.
Losing your fingerprints is an excellent learning experience.

Why can't they make soldering irons where you can hold it closer to the tip?
Does the "barrel" really need to be that long?

Attached: 1453303583505.jpg (429x377, 41K)

Attached: 1443116132227.webm (500x281, 2.91M)

Attached: 136239405383.webm (480x310, 2.82M)

Back in the day, before ceramic heaters and thermal control, I would prefer a gun, since it heats up instantly. This is why TV repair mans used them.
Nowadays, ceramic heaters exist, they heat up in seconds, and china exists with their thermal regulated irons. So, choice is obvious, iron, but not shitty.

I can already hear royalty free music. How?

>yeah, i will take these cold joints, thank you very much

Meh, better buy copper ones. They are sandable at least.

I'm not that guy but I'll help you out here

Weller is a reputable brand but they have two product lines. The blue Weller stations which are the higher end ones with temperature control are excellent, the red ones aren't worth the money. I recommend not getting anything from the red Weller line, honestly you might even be better off getting a chink soldering iron with temperature control if you're being that cheap. If you're looking to really get into soldering as a hobby or job rather than just an occasional thing you should invest in a good soldering iron. They'll last a lot longer and do a better job.

They fucked up really badly, by not putting fuse. That is not even Apple tier shit.
I think you should avoid it.

A soldering gun is good for very large jobs when the metal you're soldering to tends to draw the heat and solder away from the solder joint and make a poor joint. It's way overkill for virtually all electronics work unless you're soldering bus bars

This is shit and you should feel bad. It will do in a pinch, but even a cheapo unregulated pencil iron is better.

>Try to solder something.
>cold joint if I'm lucky
>try tinning iron
>solder just beads up and falls off
>try to clean tip of iron (dremel w/brass brush)
>still nothing fucking sticks

what am I doing wrong?

Attached: m.jpg (1600x1686, 167K)

You need flux

>taking a gun to school
inb4 v&