Why do they call it """servers""" if it's just channels?

Why do they call it """servers""" if it's just channels?

Attached: 1544907576006.png (833x619, 11K)

To give the good goyim the illusion of autonomy and ownership.

because discord is where you get served

because the servers have channels

>call them servers
>they're all hosted on discord inc.'s server
WHAT DID THEY MEAN BY THIS

Bingo

If you called them channels, then what would you call the channels that reside in them?

Sub-channels

Because all the servers form the network, the Discord network.

see: They're trying to make people think they're still free. Like having a discord server is the same kind of thing as owning an IRC/Matrix/XMPP/Email server. It's not. Discord is centralized and you don't own anything.

Eh, doesn't quite feel right. I'll stick with servers.

cringe

Call them "guilds." That's what they refer to them as on the API documentation since they know that telling developers that they're "servers" will only confuse them.

How is this discord specific? Physical servers can also host dozens of different web servers for dozens of clients.
And those server's probably aren't real servers either, just different apache directories.

They're virtual servers, duh.

I'm guessing you never actually ran a Teamspeak, Mumble, etc. With those you owned/leased the server, and people connected to your server.
With Discord, everything just runs on their servers and you never actually connect to anything but their services. Its not like you can download the server software for Discord and run it yourself. Thats why when people say "connect to my discord server" its silly.

I guess we'll need to email discord inc. and see how many processes it takes to run discord

>With those you owned/leased the server, and people connected to your server.
Not quite. You rented access to an instance running on the server. If you want to get autistic, you can't call those servers technically either.

This. 99% of the time Ventrilo/Mumble """servers""" were actually instances.

I owned my server. I ran it out of my house and I had enough bandwidth for ~20 people to be on. What I'm getting at is that you're not connecting to a centrally owned service, its actually ran on many instance/physical servers completely independent from one another.

They don't, they're called guilds. Check the API if you don't believe me. It's just that noone wanted to call it that so people adapted the term server instead as it operates similar to a TS/Mumble/Ventrilo server-channelcollection-thing.

Attached: mpvshot0068.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

this

retard

>They don't, they're called guilds.
This is the correct answer. Better than "servers" because it avoids semantic overloading.

ok tranny

makes normies feel like hackermen when they “””set up a server””” and “””have their own discord server”””

fpbp