Let's be honest, the only thing where Linux exceeds is by having a powerful command line...

Let's be honest, the only thing where Linux exceeds is by having a powerful command line. And with WSL you can have that while you use an actual usable non-bullshit OS with a friendly UI. Get an SSD and you won't even notice that's not native UNIX.

Attached: Learn_Bash.jpg (1428x800, 246K)

I can't use Linux but even I know that it has many use areas and in some cases demolishes windows in performance

It's a great way to learn Linux, but once you get a taste, you're just going to want to run Linux.It's hard not to once move beyond diddling around with directories and files. I've always got something going on in a terminal because it's just so easy and handy.

because then I would have to put my faith in Microsoft not breaking Windows every update. virtualize the other way around with gpu-passthrough.

>an actual usable non-bullshit OS with a friendly UI
I am legitimately a brainlet and xubuntu is easy as using windows

dlls are retarded

This. I'm no computer whiz, and I've been using Linux for 12 years now. Linux isn't hard, some of the stuff you can do with it is, though. Networking in particular.

WSL negates one of the biggest benefits of switching to Linux: Not having to put up with Microsoft's bullshit.

Attached: 1550689374360.jpg (822x822, 350K)

The point of Linux is not having Windows. Programming is just a bonus.

Ok but can you get libopenmpi & libgomp working on WSL?

How integrated is WSL with the rest of Windows? Can I for example, run awk in my C:/Users/user/ folder?

Shut up, botnet merchant

If you don't wanna use Linux, don't use it. These "hurr durr Windows is better" threads are tiring

> Let's be honest
You aren't honest about your regular shilling.

Windows is becoming better and better now that it's no longer Microsoft's main cash cow as cloud services are a larger part of their revenue.

>this thread again
Based retard

Hey Mom cancel my appointments, windows auto-update broke my computer, I'm deciding whether I should recode my software or restore from last months system backup.

Attached: 1555966844282.jpg (960x720, 38K)

Linux isn't meant to have a GUI.
Based headless server.

Attached: 1491408324437.jpg (401x349, 42K)

>better AMD64 ABI in function calls (windows uses 4 registers, Linux uses 14)
>better IO
>better network stack
>no backdoors

yep, its only powerful command line

windows is not unix-like, so no

>Get an SSD and you won't even notice that's not native UNIX.
bwahahahahah

>Get an SSD and you won't even notice that's not native UNIX.
yeah I'm guessing you don't know what the fuck you're talking about

WSL is kind of a pointless parlor trick. Sure, you could run Linux apps "natively" on Windows, but operating systems are not islands, and *NIX is simply at odds with how Win32 works on a fundamental level. And it's not an accident, it was designed that way, because the guy who designed it wrote VMS before that and hated UNIX. The point is, your *NIX programs might work well with other *NIX programs, but good luck integrating them into a sane workflow with your Win32 programs - aka the programs you actually use Windows for.
Just use a virtual machine or cygwin. Or just use Linux, period.

You can, but it's still NT and NTFS underneath so small file I/O still sucks crusty goat wangs. Spacemacs opens faster in a Linux VM than in WSL natively.

Let's be honest, the only thing where Windows exceeds is by having great software compatibility. And with Wine you can have that while you use an actual usable non-bullshit OS with a friendly UI. Get an SSD and you won't even notice that's not native win32.

Yet you are still stuck with NTFS. You might as well still be using Win 3.1 with that crusty pile of shit of a filesystem.

> Get an SSD and you won't even notice that's not native UNIX.

Citation needed. To me even on an ssd the WSL doesn't like git or node_modules.

Wine is actually still terrible at coping with API misuse, and for anything 3D you're relying on the host's 3D driver deciding to not be a piece of garbage this release.

It's gotten better though, A couple of year I ago I wouldn't touch it but over 90 percent of the stuff actually use windows for runs just fine in wine(barring GUI decoration which is still broken).

Ya untill it forces you to update

You know what's better at running Windows apps than Wine? The copy of Windows I already paid for six years ago.

>Get an SSD and you won't even notice that's not native UNIX
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here, and that is an achievement.

You should be using an SSD for the OS and programs anyway, regardless if you're on Windows or Linux. It's such a monumental quality-of-life upgrade that it's totally worth it, even for Linux.

Honestly that is why I switched from Linux to Windows 10 a year or so ago. No regrets so far.

So that Windows can install Candy Crush 2 in some update I didn't need?

wsl is inferior to powershell on windows

if there was a solid office replacement with referencing tools and proper compatibility with office so the formatting didn't completely fuck you then i'd honestly have all my needs fulfilled by linux.

however, for gaming and coursework, i'm dual booting windows 10 alongside.

I've never used powershell but I've gotten used to using MinGW for C++ development on Windows. Combined with access to graphical tools that don't suck, I like it better than Linux now.

Dubs of truth. Wine's compatibility while not too reliable is still miles better with complex applications than WSL, and it supports a massive, bloated, closed source API. WSL adds the open source, small-ish Linux kernel API to windows. So fucking what

Why is it called windows szbsystem for linux? It should be linux subsystem for windows.

has something to do with trademarks

Primarily use Linux but I tried doing some C++ development using mingw64 via msys2 and it was a surprisingly pleasant experience and It was nice to be able to write native OS-specific code (WIN32 API) whilst not having to use Visual Studio. One thing i noticed though was that compile and link times are absolutely horrible compared to Linux and this is the same whether it be MSVC or GCC-mingw64. Even configuring a cmake project just takes forever. You really do notice windows' poor file IO and its incredibly frustrating when your waiting 30s-1m without even starting to compile any files.

The windows subsystem for [slowly running some simple non graphical] Linux [utilities that don't rely too much on good filesystem support]

Hopefully that clears up the name for you

>mingw
I've had a mostly good time with MinGW as well, but the thing I hate most about the Windows terminal is that if you cancel something with CTRL C it prompts you with "Are you sure? y/n" and there's no way to disable that.
I've honestly considered trying to find the dll for that functionality and fucking around with a hex editor to fix it.