Is liquid cooling a meme? Why would you risk putting water near your expensive components?

Is liquid cooling a meme? Why would you risk putting water near your expensive components?

Attached: pc.webm (960x544, 2.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/Swiftech/Swiftech_H360X3_Drive_X3_AIO/6.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ESSE CARINHA AQUI

if you extremely overclock and you would end up with very high temperatures under air cooling (80+) then this is not a mem in this case

its only a meme if you suck at testing things

It's not dangerous as the liquids/oils neither corrode nor have short-circuiting impurities.

It's just a huge hassle and generally not worth it unless the DIY of putting it together and tweaking it is a major part of the draw for you.

People are dumb. Liquid cooling offers no benefits to air cooling and when the water heat should up to a high temperature it's actually worse, since water has a very high specific heat.

It's the meme of all memes. A non-shit case with good fans that produce a good air flow will wipe the floor with liquid cooling any fucking day of the week, unless you're using shit like liquid nitrogen to get MUH OVERCLOCKING RECURDZ. People buy shitty cases and pair it with the worst fans because they're cheap fuckwits who have no idea how to properly pair the two, then they slap a liquid cooling system on it and say it's the best thing ever. Nigger, I ran liquid cooling setups for 30 years before all this shit became a thing, alongside air cooled enterprise systems and never saw a single benefit from liquid cooling. Unless you like playing chance with your hardware and having to drain and refill every few months. Then by all means, please go right ahead.

Noctua has done CPU air coolers that work better than most water coolers.

water is better because it's sustainable

Just replace your components. Corsair is at least known for paying you the market rate for your parts if they fry it with an AIO.

DIY/custom loops you're probably on your own though

for a normal use, up to overclocking like 5 ghz 8 cores, a good air cooler will do fine. those are heavy though, and the weight is supported by the motherboard at least partly even if it has a bracket. i've heard stories of cpus and motherboards breaking during transportation because of this, so if you move your computer a lot, it may be better to use an AIO even if there's no thermal benefit.

Haha i also saw this on /v/ today

Attached: mrcunny.png (239x286, 31K)

Theres a dude that put a passive cooler in a homemade mineral oil loop and it kept the cpu stupid cool

liquid bad

Attached: 1542516658298.jpg (900x1200, 303K)

liquid cooling is for queers. all you need is a little lube and a fan and ur cpu will stay ice cold.

Attached: howtoapplythermalpaste.webm (640x480, 2.93M)

It's good if you're going for an extreme overclock or you want a quieter cooling system. There was that guy that built a desk with a built in water cooled PC and the radiator/fans were below the floor in his crawlspace

yes. its a failure point that will fuck your entire system and you can just get silent, reliable air cooling instead.

Attached: drp4.jpg (620x342, 51K)

bought H110i and called it a day

Attached: snapshot_20.07_[2016.12.24_06.36.10].png (1920x1080, 2.16M)

>smearing your paste all over

>MSI how-to-channel

is this for real? what the fuck

No, it's a literal requirement if you're using intel trash. On ryzen you can just use the stock cooler and call it a day.

Attached: PCxRwPu.jpg (1327x1222, 331K)

Also pic related.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9DLzkvODA1MjU3L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDA3LnBuZw==(1).jpg (755x561, 109K)

Only linus got this kind of results. 360mm aios are usually better than even the best noctua cooler.

WHY?

Attached: 1520746204876.png (456x720, 380K)

for some reason this video gives me sick asmr

Autists

Yes it's a meme. But it's a toy to waste money on. Did water for awhile but it was a pain and it's not like i'm ripping and encoding crap all the time with my processor balls to the wall. Put my 212 back on and called it that.

It's only for those that absolutely need it.
Fans are generally easier to use, but they are also are not as efficient and make a lot of noise.
I have seen videos of people cooling their CPU with liquid nitrogen and overclocking their CPU to massive extreme levels.

Everyone's favourite jewtuber and inventor of the linux kernel just made a video to show how retarded you are.

i literally could not give less of a shit you fucking inbred douchebag

A little down draft cooler is fine for a lot of people as long as the case allows it to breathe. An NH-D15 is overkill for pretty much anyone. Water isn't worth it unless you have a heavily overclocked system and use it constantly.

Easy there cowgirl, you kiss your dads with that mouth?

source??

>exact same post in two threads

Attached: 1556177505538.png (451x619, 467K)

>Liquid cooling offers no benefits to air cooling
It lets you move the air cooling part further from the component being cooled. This lets you do shit like run much more radiator area (compared to what a cpu tower cooler or a giant meme gpu heatsink can do) or just pull heat away from a tight space to somewhere with far better airflow (eg: multiple gpus)

It's a total meme for most faggots but it has its uses

>i've heard stories of cpus and motherboards breaking during transportation because of this
i've seen warnings somewhere about removing them for transport, the other option is using something like instapak to fill the voids and remove the ability of heavy components to flop around but that's not cheap

i literally could not give less of a shit you fucking inbred douchebag

>People are dumb
>Liquid cooling offers no benefits to air cooling
My dude, i have a bad news for you

what about this type of wtc, are they more efficient than fans? im kinda afraid of having a big ass fan because i think it could be too much weight for a motherboard or something

Attached: 343232.jpg (1200x960, 139K)

bump

Do you have space constraints inside your case? Thats the only reason id use closed loop cooling. Conventional heatsink/w fan is fine. And it wont be too heavy dont worry about that.

i don't have space issues, what about noise??

got this and it's pretty good.

Attached: .png (983x456, 252K)

is it too loud or something?

it's got maglev fans so no

it comes with really good fans

Attached: .jpg (3180x2450, 1.28M)

carequinha das views tomou um bukkake verde HEUAHEAUEHAUEAHUE

>nor have short-circuiting impurities
Erosion from running across the metal components of a loop will introduce enough conductivity in any fluid to become dangerous to components, over time.

keepin it pretty chill/silent here

Attached: expanded.jpg (4160x3120, 1.76M)

>not IMMEDIATELY going for the power supply and switching it off.

Attached: filter_menu.png (1130x421, 147K)

from the video the RGB on the ram is already fucked, but since watercooling should use nonconductive fluid it shouldn't matter

all the fluid becomes conductive after it goes through the loop. the water runs across metal and gathers ions; otherwise mixing metals wouldn't matter.

Overclocking, the only thing liquid cooling is good for, is a meme in and of itself.

Turbo boosting was an Intel created meme since they couldn't keep heat/power down. OC to all core turbo just makes the chip run as it should.

Woah, I know that Cunny dude, weird

It is, it's fucking stupid.
A good quality air cooler will perform almost as well as the best liquid coolers out there.
And they don't leak, make pump noises, take up a lot of space, cost you a fortune, and they are much easier to install.
There is a reason only gaymen babbies use liquid cooling, you never see any workstations or server racks with that nonsense do you?

Attached: 6313_28_noctua_nh_d15_cpu_cooler_review.png (620x1019, 408K)

>fans are not sustainable

>tfw no giant radiator box
i should do something like that, got a pretty big desk so i could attach a huge radiator under a section my feet will never reach

>Only linus got this kind of results.
techpowerup.com/reviews/Swiftech/Swiftech_H360X3_Drive_X3_AIO/6.html
People seriously underestimate air coolers. Obviously the best 360s still win but it's not a huge difference.

It's too bad that it's taking Noctua a million years to finish the NH-D16.

>you never see any workstations or server racks with that nonsense do you?
put your pc in a soundproof room and you too can run jet-engine fans to make air cooling viable with a box full of tightly packed housefires

i think those new glued-together intel 56 core meme cpus require liquid cooling though, not worth the effort of designing air cooling for something with a claimed tdp of 350w or whatever it was

also there was the power mac g5 but that meme is older than most posters here

I've seen liquid nitrogen used to cool quantum computers. Definitely not a computer for home use, though.
If you're curious, I'm pretty sure it was on Linus Tech Tips that showed it off on some company's tour.

>not worth the effort of designing air cooling for something with a claimed tdp of 350w or whatever it was
Yeah. Threadripper has the same issue where not many companies want to put in the effort to design a cooler for the fuckhuge socket.

AIOs are memes. Custom loops are the only way to get your Computer silent. Im running a 560 + 480 rad with 200-400 RPM noctua Fans while getting max. 40°C CPU and GPU temps.

Usually because the work can be offloaded to a server rack, where noise doesn't matter, and in cases where it can't be, the marginal performance gain at the same acceptable noise level is not worth the cost of water cooling. For an enthusiast, it can make sense depending on how they value noise and marginal performance. Not to mention the aesthetic value in custom loops.

With AIO all you need is 280 max for cpu and 140 max for gpu. Your setup takes 3x the space and costs 5x the price of an AIO setup. What kind of case even fits 560 rads?

eventually i want it so in the summer, I pipe to the box outside the room and in the winter vent it inside.

Noctuachads in the house tonight
Watercucks gonna have a bad time

Attached: 1534871843118.gif (978x478, 404K)

you missed the entire point of his post: With more radiator area, he can run the fans at a very low rpm while still getting excellent thermals. the fan on a 140 for a gpu is going to be blasting under load

Caselabs SMA8

>the fan on a 140 for a gpu is going to be blasting under load
What are the 295x2 and vega 64 LC you brainlet?

Air cooling used to be garbage in the mid 2000s when hardware quickly grew in TDP and you couldn't unlock its full potential on air anymore, but nowadays liquid cooling doesn't give you much of a performance gain and is more of an enthusiast thing to delve deeper into your computer hobby.

Oh so you also pay 5x more for the case too.

>140 max for GPU
No. Also hybrid cooled graphics cards usually have another fan on the card. Also enjoy your very limited selection of graphics cards.

Attached: 1552676953579.jpg (540x960, 58K)

I have Noctua fans on my radiator. It's the best of both worlds.

>he considers himself a liquid cooler but all he did was slap an AIO on his processor

Attached: 1536526989297.gif (652x562, 626K)

Noise isn't an issue, some air coolers are even quieter than water coolers.

Maybe on idle.

Kraken G12

What difference is there if in the end both will turn on a set of fans?

This gave me literally cancer wtf

I like the Noctua TR4 coolers, got two of them here that have served me well

But yeah, shit's way too niche for most others to bother with, only other options are big aio or custom loop because air cooling gets stupid big once you need it to handle loads over 200w or so

Everything above 600rpm+ is noisy for me. So not an option.
With proper maintenance the wc-parts are useable for a really long time. It's not something that you replace every 5 years.

Waterblocks aren't compatible

what's your water temp and delta t? I like to keep the water below 35, and it usually maxes around +7-8 C from ambient.

CPU-blocks from proper manufacturers always get a compatibility kit for newer platforms. You're right about GPU-blocks though.

Liquid cooling can spread the load across a greater size radiator and a greater number of fans, therefore reducing the load per fin area and per fan and reducing noise. With air cooling you're limited in the size of the cooler by the surrounding hardware, and can generally only install two fans on it. With liquid cooling sky is the limit.

Attached: RIjCUR2.jpg (900x600, 176K)

neat, I've got air conditioning in the room already but I want the pc to be cool & quiet even with all the amd housefire shit I stuffed into the box

You need some fierce insulation to make that worth it.

Have sex

Same for me, currently not going over 32C with an ambient temperature of 25C.

macbooks REALLY need water cooling. But so far I guess they can't satisfy their design autism so they're stuck with shitty air cooling

? i can wrap the tubes, but they won't be that long. i'm talking just sticking the box out the window and making sure the fans/controller are rated for outside/protected

i have a h110i aio, it stays really quiet unless you're at full load for a long time

Attached: frog.png (865x526, 54K)

the other option I'm considering is just attaching a cover and pipe to the box and sticking that out the window to vent the heat. though I'd prefer if the fans were away. then I could run them at high rpm while still being totally silent while computing.

At my old place and when I was using air cooling, I used to put the computer in a closet and just run wires to peripherals. the closet was hot, but the room was cool and quiet.

Ouch, the deathrattle of a faggot's ego. Tugs at your heartstrings to witness such seething,

For servers, supercomputers, and render farms?
No
For home computers outside of mini ITX?
Yes
The biggest issue isn't leaking. It's pump failure. Outside of SFF PCs large air coolers are generaly superior. Custom loops are a total meme and not even worth considering. You can build a custom loop that performs better than any home air cooler or AIO but there would be VERY little benefit (maybe an extra 100mhz) and the cost, risk of leaks, and maintenance just makes them stupid.

Attached: 1456650219571.png (359x414, 150K)

Fans = S O U L
water cooling = soulless

It arguably looks cool, achieves good temps at a consistent noise level (my radiator fans stay the same RPM regardless of CPU/GPU use) and adds an extra dimension for those who enjoy planning and building a PC.

I've done it once, got it off my bucket list and I'm never doing it again. Too expensive and complicated for the payoff.

Attached: 1529432402831.png (576x432, 374K)

>build water cooled PC
>never drain or replace the coolant
>had it for three years now, runs as perfectly as the day I built it

ONE NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

Not a problem if you dont use colored water and clear tubing.

that you keep contributing to the number of dumb people?

Only retards buy custom loops. Just put your Computer into another room.