Which is the superior media server?

Which is the superior media server?

Attached: emby vs plex.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Plex

I’ve been using plex for years and last time I tried emby I wasn’t impressed with the UI.

This

Why can't Kodi detect my anime shows but Plex can correctly detect and label everything?

apache

MiniDLNA because I am a million years old.

What? Embys UI is so much better for a movie streaming layout.

Don't most people use Kodi as the media player for these things? Don't you just get the Plex addon for it?

Because you're doing it wrong.

Jellyfin is trash.

Emby if you have a Chromecast and use subtitles.

You're wrong

Plex has given me no reason to investigate alternatives.

I just use sshfs.

Don't see why you have to make shit more complicated than that.

Based retard.

Plex has some of the worst subtitles settings I've ever seen. A watch a lot of Asian stuff so Plex is out of the question for me. The position where they put the subtitles is weird too.

laptop with hdmi to tv and openpht is goat

Attached: 20190430_211838~01.jpg (1920x1080, 368K)

>69 unwatched
get cracking

>not knowing how to configure them

ITODDLER BTFOOOO!!!

Attached: image.jpg (500x491, 368K)

Plex.

You can't. Only Plex Media Player supports subtitles customization.

Plex if you want to pay, Emby if you don't

Plex
>inb4 paid
nah free is fine if you know what youre doing

last time I looked into it there was no way around paying if you wanted playback on android devices - is that incorrect?

You are an idiot. Emby has a pass too.

Sure - but it's trivial not to need it. Last I checked Plex actually enforces a paywall behind mobile apps. Emby doesn't (unless you're too fucking stupid to set up DDNS)

No, Emby paywalls that too. Either way, if you use the Plex and Emby mobile apps, you're fucking stupid because they're both shitty and you can just use Kodi.

>emby paywalls that too
but it doesn't....
I'm using it right now

the only thing you need to pay for is if you want to login through their service, and like I said, assuming you know how to do DDNS that is completely unnecessary

Also Kodi on a phone is an awful experience

I am 100% sure Emby app limits video viewing to 1 minute. It's a moot point either way, good job being too dumb to use a superior player like Kodi.

You are 100% wrong

Whatever helps you sleep at night, idiot. You're still a moron at the end of the day.

Use app.plex.tv on your phone you dingus

>watching shows on a phone

but that ui sucks on the phone

Plex by far.

Isn't Jellyfin just a FOSS fork of an older version of Emby? Besides being open source, what are the main differences between the two? I can see they both still have the same shitty UI.

You are watching videos you stunned cunt, who the fuck cares if the ui isn't perfect. If it bothers you that much pony up the fuckin sheckles

No u

Anyone?

None, at least until now. They say that they will bring the premiere features from Emby for free but now nothing really works.

If I remember correctly Plex doesn't let you have local accounts (without paying) whereas emby does

SMB

I've had Plex for almost 3 years never really use it though. I end up just mounting my server drives via samba or something and then just paying the video files. Plex looks nice but you cant even take screen shots properly so it's awful

Attached: 8b12c538aaefbef2ac603e9a626feed1_1.jpg (909x706, 117K)

Emby are a bit scummy from what i've heard, their "lifetime" subscription is only for the duration of a major software version, i.e it runs out between 3.0 and 4.0 for example.

At least Plex has an actual lifetime subscription.

Agreed.
I have static IP and simply mount my drives to Kodi.
Don't really understand what Plex brings to the table.

For LAN and free use SMB

Plex is more for sharing your entire library with family/friends in a simple app that can ensure compatibility with all devices through on the fly encoding. It also indexes everything for you in an easily navigable browser similar to Netflix etc so even your average retard can use it.

One of the key selling points is syncing your content across devices, and while doable in Kodi with SQL shenanigans Plex does it all for you. So i can watch on my desktop, my HTPC and Tablet and progress is all tracked... which is nice. One neat function is being able to download a local copy of a series if you want to watch it on a laptop or tablet while away from your home network too.

Personally i like some of the little touches the official player has, like playing the shows theme, in the menu, and being able to stream my own music across multiple devices.

Essentially its a lot of quality of life stuff that... is kinda possible with Kodi, etc. but packaged into a very convenient means of doing it.

My NAS already does that.
Also, family can just use Kodi apps on any platform as all my media has a proper structure.

>progress is all tracked.
Only useful if you are the only person watching or have multiple accounts for every family member.
Is nice feature, though, have to admit.
Unless it's paid, in which case you can as well get streaming subscription.

Oh, yeah, you can do neat things with accounts, i have a big fat folder of kids crap for kids and that's all they can see, my personal account has a ton of weeb garbage (the ultimate personification of "oh shit my backlog is huge) and sci-fi shlock, gf has the junk she likes under her account.

It really is great for family viewing. I'm thinking of getting a TV card to test out the PVR functionality too.

Is Tautulli worth getting for Plex?

Both are proprietary garbage.

I don't want to pay just to watch stuff at work on my phone. What is a free alternative?

Jellyfin aka redditfin

>no player app
>not even in the kodi addon repo
lmao

App in beta and apparently soon coming to play store, Android only though. Embycon in Kodi repo supports it.

Do FreeNAS Systems need to have 8gb-16gb ram if you're just using it for media streamling like Plex?

Copy a movie from the computer to a usb drive and plug it in a smart TV

I have a lifetime plex account and a dedicated server(old i5 4570 with 8gb of ram, 8tb HDD and 250gb SSD for the OS and program files) that I set up a bit over a year ago.

But I have never actually used it since I realized after buying and setting it all up, I mostly just watch all my crap locally on a Nvidia shield running kodi... The idea of having the Plex server running just seems like a waste of electricity to me since I've only wished I had it conceptually. When it's actually available to me, iv always thought "yeah, but I'd rather just wait till I get home to watch it comfortably in my living room".

That said, like others have pointed out, the way Plex handles default/forced subs is retarded. My dubbed anime always has the lyrics/signs subs as forced, and the subed anime has the full subs forced... Plex ignores that and requires me to turn it on each time. Kodi is smart enough to follow the files instructions.

Emby for sure. It's better than Plex at basically everything.

I used Plex for over 5 years before realising what a corporate dumpster fire it had become.

>Emby for sure. It's better than Plex at basically everything.
t. brainlet

My Plex has been really handy since I do a lot of travel. Also, my nephew watches a lot of stuff from it.
I did purchase the app, but never really use it. Other than that I haven't spent a cent on it.

Enjoy your incompetent devs.

Emby just closed their source, and their lifetime pass expires after every new version they release. You are a complete idiot.

>Emby just closed their source
Plex is closed source too and literally nobody gives a shit about open source.
> their lifetime pass expires after every new version they release
False and already discussed a dozen of times in the forums.

Regardless, those are shit reasons to use one of the other unless you're actually retarded.

Further proving how big of an idiot you are.

Why are you so upset? Are you a paid shill for Plex?

Im planing on building an HTPC and want to use my phone as a remote. I dont have any need for mobile playback. Is that possible with Plex or do i have to use Emby if i dont want to pay?

I'm such a consumerist bitch, Plex is great for me, but i have a screen in my living room, bedroom, kitchen, spare bedroom/office most of them are hooked up to NUCs of various vintages.

But i suppose i'm in the minority where i want an actual computer on my TV instead of some android box.

>Not having a NAS server and Kodi on all clients
>Not centralizing the Kodi database on the NAS
Is this Jow Forums? It looks like /fa/ to me.

Kodi has an app that lets you use your phone as a remote (not a "dumb" remote either, it'll load all the cover art and episode info into a nice interface) and it's free. Plex and emby are really only worth looking at if you're going to want to play your media outside of your home network.

thanks friend

Kodi

I know this might be more for /sqt/ but when streaming from my PC to my TV using plex (both are connected to the same WiFi router with ethernet cables) do the signal goes through the internet or does it stay on my home network?

I mean, it works. If its worth installing depends on whether you find any of the features useful.

Your right, but you can make a one time payment to buy the app, not the subscription plan is you want. Its like $5

Stays on your home network.

I don't really understand what Kodi does a modern smart TV + Plex can't do.

That's a client, not a server.

Well of course you use your own server to serve the files, dumbo

>not free
garbage

Kodi came out first... That's why it's hard to make sense of it, cause those other things built off its core principles. That said, Kodi is pretty bulletproof now, and runs everything you can throw at it, so it's got the most evolved interface and usability.

I mean within the boundaries of what OP is asking (media server) I find Plex to be much better, I can't really understand what Kodi does better here. I've used Kodi a lot back in the day, but unless you are really into piracy streaming, it's just inferior to Plex as a media server.

I don't really get what you mean by most evolved UI or usability, Plex has a very clean interface out of the box and does thing you need to learn how to do to setup in Kodi.

This.

I've been trying Kodi and a variety of different skins, it just always looks messier than Plex to me. Plex is also far better on computers; Kodi feels like it was designed for TVs and touch devices only.

You can just create a free plex account.

fuck you