How fucked am I ?

>be me
>solid linux admin skills have landed me jobs all around IT
>worked infosec for a large company, but a very specific branch (sysadmin shit, not investigating threats)
>Got hired for Sr lvl infosec analyst role with another company
How fucked am I? can I just go home and search the shit i don't understand on google or RTFM after work?
pic unrelated

Attached: wwlink.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Bumping for answers

go ask yahoo answers

>can I just go home and search the shit i don't understand on google or RTFM after work?

Switch "after" to "during" and you've just described all IT jobs above "install acrobat reader and hope for the best" tier.

You're fine. That's how I've gotten through all the programming gigs I've ever gotten where I severely oversold myself (all of em) because I needed rent and booze money

yah dude i've been eating at fucking soup kitchens for the past month, kicked heroin, about a year ago, and getting back into the industry has been a real struggle, it took a long fucking time. when they hired me I was ecstatic, but now i'm nervous... i don't know how to dress biz casual i haven't done it in so long lol... Thanks for the advice tho, it should be fine.

jesus bro
i'm happy that you're off it. Here's to a saved life user

yah that shit wasn't easy and I had a lot of help.... destroyed my whole life tho.. I feel sort of like a fraud walking into a corporate environment after all the shit i've been through in the past 2 years alone, and just pretending like I never experienced all that shit. I think after the pay checks start coming in that feeling will probably subside.

contd. from thank you btw

np. Adversity makes you a stronger person in the end.

OP, same kinda thing happened to me after i worked @ Cisco. Best thing to do is look for an infosec role where it is very obvious you will be a part of a team that all does the same work you will be doing as it lightens the pressure.

Even better if it's not in a proper tech company as the expectations are lower and will look like a god. Look for the same role in a hospital or nasa aames research something like that.

most job postings want to hire infosec people but they put all these bullshit requirements, like lots of programming skills, that alert you will be inheriting a bunch of bullshit.

damn near killed me along the way, but i recently did have a sort of change in psyche or awakening, my whole attitude about life is very tranquil now... i guess when youre completely unstable, and dealing with that BS on a daily basis, you learn to appreciate the small things. I am a better person now for it, but it cost a lot to get here.

I worked for a managed security company before, we supported literally every device, and had over 4000 clients including a lot of fortune 500s. This new role is in a large corporation, but they're not a tech company, and we're not a vendor, so the hardware will be more limited (instead of supporting 20 WAFs, they probably only use 1 or 2, they wouldn't tell me which brands they use during the interview) so, yeah, not a tech company, and the role didn't have any programming experience (thank god because i hate coding), actually the job description was very fair and everything seemed relevant to each toher. I guess I'm just really nervous because of the whole 'corporate environment' thing, feeling like a fraud, and not having any money ATM, so I don't want to deal with the "why aren't you having anything for lunch user?" or only having like 4 shirts, or taking a bicycle to work and having to stash it somewhere so no one sees it. Like I said tho, after a few paychecks I'll be able to fix a lot of these problems. Learning the devices isn't what scares me, but everything else adds up and a molehill feels like a mountain... I just gotta relax and remember there's no reason to be afraid of anyone, and that my life belongs to me, etc etc, the stuff that has recently helped.

sorry for the rant, just a lot on my mind right now!! excited/nervous

gl man!

>Buy F-Secure radar license
>Set up nodes
>profit??

>install acrobat reader
please someone post that copypasta
you know what one

>How fucked am I?
Remember when that credit reporting agency lost something like 100million social security numbers? Their senior infosec person was someone with a bachelors in music. You'll be fine! Senoir infosec is obviously a job they give to anyone.

>Sr lvl infosec analyst
Sounds like you're going to get paid more for less work to me.

So how do I get solid employable linux admin skills? Just braindump whatever it is that's there on the rhcsa/rhce curriculum?

Op here, hey I actually failed out of undergrad and my minor was music LOL

The money is insanely good. I don't want to brag but Its better than most ppl I know who've been working (non IT) for 30 years.

Well, everyone's different. Opie here by the way again. The way that I did it was when I was like 15 I met some guy playing world of Warcraft and he was a sysadmin and I told him I was interested so he recommended that I install Gentoo. So I played around on a Sousa live CD for about 2 days and then burnt the Gentoo install discs and follow the manual. he was SSH into my box during the install to make sure I didn't get too confused or anything though. Having a teacher makes all the difference in every subject. I used Jen to exclusively for a few months and then learn slackware, you slackware for a few months and then learnt Ubuntu and mint, and then went back to Gentoo for about 8 years. I personally recommend using something like Gentoo slackware or lfs for learning purposes because you build the system, there is no automatic install, you learn all the different components that make up the system, then, after years of use you just get used to certain things. It took me a long time and I was up all night a lot of times in high school just working through stupid problems and asking for help on IRC and stuff. It's not the same path that everyone should take but it workeds for me

Inb4 stallman interruption

thats how i currently do it aswell.
funny how this earns me 30% more then the average of my old student friends

Gonna agree with this.
You'll get the hang of it in time, as long as you really want to.

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the kind thoughts. First day is going really well. I feel comfortable and no longer overwhelmed after seeing all the tools we use and a little shadowing.
I'm gonna make it it!