Should I get an AMD FX?

I looked into the Intel ME controversy and it seems that AMD FX is the best option now. Newer than Core2Duo with no ME. AMD implemented a ME after 2013 similar to Intel, so it seems that Ryzen is no-go. Also, AMD FX general thread. And do't worry I won't buy the space heater one.

Attached: fx.jpg (640x480, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor
microcontrollertips.com/embedded-security-brief-arm-trustzone-explained/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIMd8TUUGg
valid.x86.fr/records.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're all space heaters.

Fine. I only meant the FX-9590. It's overkill. I'm thinking of getting the 8350

>I'm thinking of getting the 8350

They're literally all shit.

Then what ME-free CPU should I get? All Ryzen and Core CPU's have backdoors.

are you a pedo?

No. I'm a racist.

Thank god.

Ryzen doesn't have anything like the ME, not even close
AMD Secure tech doesn't have a network stack

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor
Seems like it is to me.

In reality it's pointless.

NSA/CIA/mossad has 100 other backdoors that aren't related to DRM chips that you haven't ever heard of before.

If you want a actually secure system you need a public facing node and a private node. Make sure every packet is tracked and accounted for coming in and out. Also install Gentoo and BSD.

Look at the way actual companies use to secure their private networks and data and implement your own version.

NO

/thread

>Gentoo and BSD
I should dual-boot them? I'll look into installing nodes.

Yeah it's similar in that it's another processor but it doesn't nearly have the access and control
AMDs Secure tech mostly deals with key generation, validation and provides a TPM, the only data it has access to is data that you feed it
The ME on the other hand has unfettered access to everything in memory and has it's own TCP/IP stack so it can operate completely independent of the OS

I'm running an FX-8350, 16GB RAM, RX 480 8GB.

Not the best in the world, but I paid under $350 for it and it runs stuff well. I'm not a big gamer, I play the hell out of Diablo 3 and its smooth.

Trust me, they have ways of gathering the data they want that don't involve modern CPU vulnerabilities. The NSA collects LITERALLY every electronic transmission in the world and archives it, that way they can sort through it later when a person trips a flag.

Don't fret over your CPU.

the difference between the 8350 and the 8300 is so small you wont even sense it

unless you want to OC then go for a 8350 otherwise a 8300 is more than capable

You smeller nigger

Get a Dell from some company that does government work. They come with ME disabled from the factory. I got pic related from craigslist, but I imagine govdeals will work too.

I also own a build with a 9590. 0/10 do not recommend - endless freezing, crashing and throttling.

Attached: Capture+_2019-05-01-04-13-26.png (1436x1379, 1.85M)

>does goverment work
>thinks they wont spy on

I have an Ex-Gov Toughbook CF71 with no network hardware, no microphone, no cameras, and a fucking pentium 3 and I can still hear it spin up in the dead of night and shut off again.

I was using FX-6300 for like 4 years with no issues. I only played games at 1080p so it seemed capable enough

The stock fan on the FX8350 is loud as fuck when the CPU is under load. Holy shit!

CIA niggers are always trying to steal my rape Pepes.

Attached: Easter the frog.png (800x483, 193K)

>microcontrollertips.com/embedded-security-brief-arm-trustzone-explained/
>TrustZone TEE can dedicate specific areas of memory for security purposes, which allows the storage of sensitive information for such things as Point-of-Sale (POS) devices and Digital Rights Management (DRM).
And now I know what this is actually about, DRM. Loosing control over your own device. """security"""

NSA wants your nudes.

Attached: cw.jpg (750x1000, 100K)

>Trust me,
Every time someone says this, what follows is either a lie or something they're not sure about.

snowden told us that nsa keeps 100kb per day for each person of interest

now 100kb doesnt seem much but in text form this is a lot of fucking data

FX8350 at 4.5ghz is pretty damn powerful desu, and it's still not a housefire with the vcore needed to do that.

I had one and I'll tell you 2 things

1) You'll have to make up the difference on a CPU cooler to make it worth owning. If you don't it will sound like a jet engine that rattles the desk it's on
2) It'll throttle at 60c and shut down at like 62, which for that CPU, is basically opening fucking chrome

if you really have a legitimate reason to worry about Intel ME as part of your threat model, get a libreboot capable ThinkPad

>You'll have to make up the difference on a CPU cooler to make it worth owning
That's the 9900K you're talking about. A $30 air cooler like the 212 or hyper T4 is overkill for an 8350 at stock, and it can be overclocked to 4.5 or 4.6.

The Platform Security Processor is an ARM core integrated in the main die of all contemporary AMD CPUs. Ostensibly its purpose is to secure the boot process and implement security extensions to segregate core instruction executions. In reality it is a black box capable of accessing the entire system memory space and hiding its own code executions. The PSP cannot be removed or disabled; if the PSP's signed firmware is not present, the processor will not be released from reset and fail to boot.
enjoy your botnet

Obviously, even the G5 had a seperate CPU to initialize the main CPUs. It was already confirmed by 3rd parties that if it's disabled in the BIOS, any management features can't even be forced on and that's ONLY on the local system with administrator access.
Just because some oy vey pays someone to write an article that "oh no it's a black box", doesn't make it so.

Sure, if you can get the CPU cheap, but right now the pricing of it is so shit considering you can just get a ryzen 2400G for $140, which comes with a cooler that's good enough as it is

It depends on your needs. It's strength lies in multicore performance. It will do very well for a budget CPU in any task that can utilise all of it's threads. If not, you're probably better off with a Ryzen 3.

I still use an 8350 and don't have any plans to upgrade because I'm satisfied with it for now at least.

Attached: 1552493048710.jpg (218x250, 7K)

My experience with people too. It doesn't mean everything they said was a lie but they were lying.

>M-MUH CSI, FBI CONSPIRACY.
no, get a tinfoil hat to go along with your straightjacket.

at what price?
got 8350 for $20 from friend. worth the money i guess.

I'd get the 2400g no doubt. But when it comes to the whole botnet thing some guys worry about, FX8000 still holds the crown on the desktop.

I would take 9900K/7980XE + ME_Cleaner to AMD Ryzen "PSP" on any day. PSP still cannot be disabled/crippled.

>public facing node and a private node.
Means jack shit. No intranet=useless and completely vulnerable

Ryzen is definetly a no go for me because I like booting windows 7 and XP natively, eventually I'll migrate to linux mint on RYZEN but I'll keep this around as a retro machine.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIMd8TUUGg

Attached: Based FX.png (445x443, 48K)

>all powerful ME backdoor
>crippled easily
Pick one and only one

Lots of intel fanboys in here. AMD FX CPUS are perfectly fine. I am an AMD fan boy. But I have been because I always go with bang for your buck. You get a 8 core CPU that will do anything you need unless you are rendering shit. If you are just a general PC user and gamer there is no issue with the FX CPUs.

>Single thread preformance
Fine get a fucking an older AMD six core like the 1090t. I was gaming on that until a few months ago when a lighting strike fried my Mother board. (RIP Sabertooth) Yeah I know I'm too broke right now for a UPS. I was gaming at 1080 with no issues. at 1080 and over your GPPU matters way more than your CPU.

>it's a heater
Umm no. I'm using the same WC loop I used in my 1090t and it reaches the same temps at the same CPU speed and the same voltage. Same GPU in the loop as well.

I swear the longer I'm on Jow Forums the more I see mid tier kids who buy into marketing hype.

Samefag here.

I'd like to add get a good board and add extra VRM cooling, if you plan to OC. Avoid Asus's 990fx except the sabertooth. The other 4 asus boards I've used in the 990fx and 970fx brackets have shit VRM cooling. They can work great if you add a 40mm fan to the Northbridge heat sink and VRM sinks. I don't like asus boards in particular, I just happen upon those boards on hard forum FS for cheap.

This is literally the same as removing windows on a UEFI system and installing Linux in its place. The Windows Boot Manager is still in the UEFI, but most of the botnet is gone.

Yes it is easily cripped for NSA to disable it with ease. That't the whole point of the HAP bit.

The Asus Sabertooth AM3+ boards were really good, took Gigabyte until 2013 to make a UD3 that could overclock an 8350 without overheating the VRM, and the $279 Asus Formula-Z was kinda pointless because the price to performance of FX goes out the window and you may as well build a 3770 rig.

>Avoid Asus's 990fx except the sabertooth.
The Crosshair Formula surely can't be that bad can it

I honestly forgot about the crosshair formulas. They are good. The VRM is just as good as the sabertooth's. I used a crosshair fomula for my brother's PC Very cool board. I never got the chance to OC with it since my brother didn't want to bother and I gave him my old Xigmatek HDT cooler, which probably could not handle too much more than that stock voltage. It held the fx-8370 at 45C under load, though.

My thing is if the ME was that much of a threat it wouldn't be disabled or crippled so easily
At the same time if it can be crippled so easily than the ME must not be that big of a threat as schizos make it out to be
You can't have both at once and I highly doubt the NSA would just allow there to be an easy switch for it that actually disables it and isn't just a feel good thing

>not overclocking your 8350 to 8.7ghz
valid.x86.fr/records.html

>I highly doubt the NSA would just allow there to be an easy switch for it that actually disables it
You know what the ME_Cleaner does? It REMOVES most modules in addition to setting the HAP bit, if you use it with the /S switch. Using the /s switch will only flip the HAP bit, and not using either switch will only result in the removal of those modules, and ME will fail to initialize after loading the CPU itself but without the 30 minute timebomb. If what you believe is true, i.e. the botnet is not easily removed, then most of the modules shouldn't be removable after all. Also, the HAP bit is undisclosed to the public(it was meant for government agencies after all) until Positive Technologies discovered it.

An FX-8350 will do 5.2GHz stable on a loop with 1.7v if you have big ass balls and want to go fast.

I'd definetly recommend one. I'm running an FX-6300 with 16 GB of RAM and it's absolutely great!

I had a fx 8320 and I still have fucking nightmares about it, it's a total pos of shit.

a machine with an fx 8xxx is def not retro
you can still do insane media stuff with it even for today's standards

Do you want the space heater or the potato?

The 8350 is pretty much the best CPU without the PSP or IME. So if you don't want either, go with the 8350

stop being a schizo autist and buy a ryzen

>1.7v
are you trying to toast your cpu or something

I would do it because it will degrade and eventually die, I run 1.4v daily but a madman did do it on youtube.

It's not, but it runs XP and 7, which ryzen and meme lake chips wont run

>I would do it
wouldn't

There is no technical reason XP and 7 couldn't work on either Ryzen or * Lake
The whole fucking point of x86 is the fact you have compatibility layers going back to the DOS age

I know tricks can be done to make it work, even windows 9x can run on ryzen, but they're being dicks about it.

Buy ryzen and Just fucking disable PSP on the bios.

7 runs on ryzen just fine.

fx 8350 is basedcore. intel shills say heater but after all its still on the top of world record overclockers. and it doesnt even get hot in normal use, i had mine at stock 4144 mhz for 4 years AIRCOOLED by a chink el cheapo fan and even at over 90% usage it never got over 60c

>and it doesnt even get hot in normal use
>tfw 59C when overclocked to 4.5 on Prime95 AVX which doesn't matter

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1200, 359K)

>not overclocking your 8350 to 8.7ghz
Doesn't count, the cores on bulldozer are only half cores so it's really only 4.35ghz. Not impressive

Kek, they are 8 cores, but they are only 4 decoders, so an 8350 8 core performance is only 1.7x the performance of 4 cores 4 modules running because the ipc becomes so poor.

Do they have a backdoor for a OpenBSD running W500 with coreboot?

7 is ok on ryzen

but running xp on a ryzen is just stupid

Yeah we're at a point where an XP virtual machine is better than native, I can fit a decent sized VHD in my RAMdisk and boot it almost instantly, at least if you can run 7 on a ryzen that's fuckin cool.

If you really want a secure system that can't be used to spy on you, get a POWER9, not an AMD FX. It's faster and more advanced.

The only benefit of the AMD is x86 compatibility. That's great if you want to run proprietary software like games but if your security needs are this extreme you're better off going fully open source.

Attached: cirno_point.png (210x335, 27K)

Well they're gonna have to scale the chips and TDP down to something I can use on the desktop because using server equipment as your main machine is stupid.

Check out the Raptor Computing Blackbird.

AMD has provided no official documentation on the PSP. Thus it is unknown to the public whether it can access the network stack.

>>I like booting windows 7 and XP natively
I boot Windows 7 on Ryzen natively off an m.2 ssd. What the fuck you talking about??

Attached: Ryzenwindows7.png (940x391, 53K)

If you're broke yes.

Requires addon cards like graphics and USB all of which are their own computers with a binary firmware blob.

All is lost in this world, so there is no need to worry about such a trifling thing. Only reason to worry would be a European hosting high tech trade secrets on their computer which America wants.

The FX-8350 (without OC) outperforms a i5-7600 in games. The i5-7600 is a stuttering mess

Say what you will, my 6300 just werks.

Kaby is typically better than vishera for single core shit, but watching the 8350 beat the newest i5 in multi core at the time for dirt cheap was hilarious.

In theory it should be yeah. But the FX-8350 provides a way better experience than an i5-7600 currently. My gf has a 7600, had severe stuttering issues in most games, even e-sports titles like rocket league. Swapped it out with an FX-8350 kit I had lying around to see if that worked better. Resulted in no more stuttering and better frames.
Paired with a GTX 1070 on 4K60hz btw

The 8350 being a moar cores CPU, does give really smooth framerates, when leveraged by new games.

well it should be considering ryzen is still using its front end

same

be thankfull that the second hand market hasnt cought up yet with the fact that they got a free boost because of ryzen...

once more people realize that shit is gonna explode considering that you can built a decent 8 core machine for under 100 bucks..

I think they've already caught onto used fx8350 builds, a brand new 990fx motherboard is insanely expensive. But at least you can build with a nice new gigabyte 970 ds3p, though

Attached: s-l16002.jpg (1600x1200, 277K)

>$180 board new in 2016
>$400

Attached: Untitled.png (1150x688, 401K)

This stuff isn't all too unusual
Almost any enthusiast level board that is a good few years old with be expensive if you find one new

It's really a shame because the faster 2600MHz HT link of 990FX makes the chip perform like it's running 100MHz faster than a 970 chipset's 2400MHz link at the same clock speed on cinebench.

>I'm thinking of getting the 8350
as long as you don't do any computing, or single threaded tasks on your PC... I guess it's fine for anime playback, running Gentoo or Arch... that kind of task works.

every high-end motherboard (older ones) cost a lot. like I wanted a 5820K, it is super cheap. but the motherboards... a fortune.

so I gave up on my "cheap 6 core idea". :(

I don't even understand why people on ebay even bother listing some of this shit, fuckin 200 dollar used X99 mobos.

>8 core 4ghz is fine for anime playback

considering all the mitigations id say its on par with kaby lake now

ah hell no. the mitigations had no effect on desktop use or benchmarks really, I own Haswell and Sandy Bridge, literally nothing changed. and now you have retpoline mitigation.

it's meh/10.
not trying to defend a megacompany, just saying it was nothing. the FX series were not good in single thread... same thing as Phenom, both were pretty mundane. Athlon X2 was good doe.

>but they are only 4 decoders
That was fixed somewhere along the line. I don't remember which version it was that fixed it, but the latest core has a decoder per core.