CS will die in your lifetime

>CS will die in your lifetime

Hold me Jow Forumsros ;_; It hurts too much to see the absolute state of CS which is getting dumbed down to a certificate program allowing you to be legit code monkey at "big companies".

Many schools are removing math requirements despite the fact that CS is originally a math branch, not a goddamn software development certificate program. The bubble is about to burst and ignorant politicians, companies, are still promoting CS as the profession of the future. They can't see that the future is here and even passing by. Why did it have to be like this? The ease of learning a toy language and being able to make 6 digits out of it? Chink & Indian hyperinflation? The thread will probably be derailed due to posting reddit but seriously check this shit: reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwbfw/professor_gave_us_a_dire_warning_that_cs_is_going/

All those morons who are in it for money are destroying a whole profession.

Attached: Screenshot_20190501_081735.png (475x804, 412K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwb79/realistically_how_will_parttime_work_as_a_camgirl/
reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwbfw/professor_gave_us_a_dire_warning_that_cs_is_going/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>all those mackiddies that can't study on their own
kek

What the fuck did you expect?
CS has been shilled everywhere and all the delusional normalfags want those muh 100k starting jobs
Just look at this board

Computer science needs to be rolled into the maths departments and software engineering broken out into what is normally called CS. CS is no more about programming than maths is about using calculators. It's related, but only tangentially. Computer science can, in principle, be done with pencil and paper. Software engineering is about producing real products that people can use. CS is for pushing forward the theory of the field.

Another analogy is like the difference between doing basic research in biology and pre-med. They're obviously very related, but not aiming at the same end-effect for the students.

That's why you look for more specialized jobs instead of just wanting to be " i wana be lol software developer"

Attached: 1528686738716.png (400x416, 256K)

This. once i switched over to a focus on security I started getting a shitload more interest from companies. Looking for a Software Dev job without prior experience is a meme unless you’re a pedro, tyrone or stacy

I bum rushed a Visual Basic class that started in January like last week and I'm expecting a C, all the good software has already been made and as the push towards cloud computing continues so will the consolidation of specialized software, thus meaning whoever provides the cloud infrastructure will also be providing the OS and applications. Work with your hands and build servers at a data center, leave the desk work to the chimps in suits

>Computer science needs to be rolled into the maths departments and software engineering broken out into what is normally called CS.

dis. Moving CS back into maths will keep out moneyfags, chinks and indians. They can keep studying their six digit degrees in software eng.

This is fine. CS jobs are undergoing a much needed bifurcation. Idiots had it good for a while getting 6 figures out of college for doing lmao HTML/CSS/Javascript due to limited supply. Now that there are enough useful idiots who can code, we're seeing things split into blue collar/white collar CS jobs.

This. I don't understand why people still fall for CS meme when the industry is being oversaturated.

So we will expect rise of low-level jobs that require actual CS knowledge using C and C++ again? Since Moore's Law has come to an end a long time ago, we will need to squeeze every bit of performance out of the current hardware, which should require real CS knowledge rather than code-monkeying.

Last time i check Cornell had a sub tier CS program that wasn't ABET accredited and was basically glorified EE programming. Did they actually develop a proper CS program?

>Security
Don't give normies ideas on the next market to flood over. They already did with system administrator and web development departments.

It's not low level vs high level, it's the scope of the task and the level of competency involved.

Build me a web site for my product that gets maybe 10 views a day vs build me a single page website that's capable of handling a billion requests per day, collects data on users and never goes down.

cscareerquestions is retarded. some of the resources and top posts are good but generally it's just like very other board on reddit where there's some constant pseudo intellectual circle jerk that makes it unusable. it's filled with boomers and art history majors with no experience who get upset when you ask them some 5 line cs101/102 problem like depth first search in an interview for a job paying like 80k+ a year.

it won't. sure a lot of people study cs but about 90% of them are complete fucking idiot. they're the type of people who label you a hacker if you know how to compile your shitty java assignment from command line instead of ide. worst case scenario there will be more gay js developers but i couldn't care less about that.

Attached: Gifs+for+admin_a0640e_5124152.gif (304x259, 1.59M)

>not being /trustfund/
feels good doing ASSignments and watching lectures from my own apartment.
LMAOING@Poor ppl

Attached: ricardo_smile.jpg (1280x720, 33K)

>shit school that is lives on the fumes of hype cant offer their students paying premium prices for an "un-necessary" education stable classes and rooms to study in
Amerikek education

>web development/system administrator
Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping that I'll enjoy those jobs.

Attached: cdc.jpg (600x558, 34K)

Reddit in general is retarded. It's okay to lurk, but it's fucking shit if you want to interact.

Attached: 1528917925170.png (297x274, 106K)

re: CS becoming the next Art History:
I literally studied art history for my undergraduate, double majored with philosophy, and now I'm a web developer who works with a bunch of CS grads. Programming isn't hard to pick up assuming you have some interest in technology and aren't retarded.

Attached: Edouard_Manet_A_Bar_at_the_FoliesBergre.jpg (1200x896, 343K)

>not becoming some super tutor and get mad pussy because they forgot to close off some for bracket
I knew that blackhole propaganda was real but it worked a bit too well

yeah, this is the only one I feel forced to lurk because there was a ton of useful shit in there when I was looking for a job and I don't know of many alternatives. it's ok for news/content promotion, absolutely terrible for discussion as you would expect from upvote/downvote systems and pointless user profiles. blind is probably the best tech career forum since it doesn't have reddit culture and jobs are verified through email extensions, but I would like it more if it was fully anonymous with optional showing of work email extension when posting.

Sysadmin is still OK, college CS majors that go into sysadmin usually end up depressed and killing themselves or end up jumping ship into web development because of how monotonous and boring sysadmin can be.
The only epic and based web development that is left is PHP programming, the gay CS majors hate it because it isn't as easy as JavaScript or python.
Security is still epic and based and it's generally way too hard for CS feminists to understand so it will be a quite a while before any cybersecurity curriculum becomes as streamlined and accessible to brainlets as CS is.

Bruh Most not shitlord colleges offer IT online lol, all my classes are online and Kent's tuition is like 3K a semester lol, people who go "for the college experience" and live on campus are such retards lol

>avoided the CS meme and went into cyber security instead
feels good bros

>ignorant politicians, companies, are still promoting CS as the profession of the future
They are far from ignorant, the know perfectly well what is coming and they can't wait for it to happen

>absolute state of reddit

Attached: Screenshot_7.png (1017x1130, 235K)

>He gave the example of the self driving cars that many tech companies are supposedly working on that he says is all "smoke and mirrors but the public is too dumb to know it".

What did he mean by this?

Absolute shitter

I imagined all of these people being covered in sweat and poo.

Not if I kill myself first lol

>Moving CS back into maths will keep out moneyfags
but what about their 300k starting?

GOD DAMN IT WHAT IS THIS WEBSITE????????

reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwb79/realistically_how_will_parttime_work_as_a_camgirl/

>The only worry I can think of is what happens if you work with some poorly socialized incel who draws dangerous conclusions about your presence on the site, but the odds seem very low of that happening.

>cs is really dead so cs grads end up being cam whores

>>CS will die in your lifetime
Only if the economy dies

*dab *

Attached: mainpic.png (693x430, 13K)

As someone who actually works in infosec, there's a ton of women and red haired feminists in it. Don't fool yourself, college boy.

Cybersecurity is easier than ACTUAL computer science. For one, it requires no mathematical capabilities aside from number theory if you're even interested in theoretical cryptography (which no one will hire you for). Secondly, it's IT stuff, and IT is nowhere near as complex as CS.

Anyone going into infosec is going to end up being a SOC monkey if you're not doing real academic research, consulting AKA selling snake oil, or setting up fuzzers to test corporate crapware.

Go back into CS. Trust me or end up doing IT support desk shit but instead they also tell you to write reports on system logs. Watch The Matrix a little less.

I didn't go into cybersecurity because when I went to my orientation there was like 15 tables set up for that shit and a teacher once told me that "emering markets" like that tend to have too much competition same reason I didn't become a physical therapist dispite that field wanting strong men since the average person is a fat ass now

Translation:
Don't do what I do, but I'm gonna do what I do even though I say you shouldn't. If I was serious about it I would not be in the profession and I'd be doing something else, luckily I'm not serious about it and I'm only telling you not to do it because I'm afraid that an influx of people into the industry will leave me without a job.

Just glad I already got my job.
Need to keep working and move into good position.

infosec is great if your a god that can find 0 days but the majority is really just auditing systems to ensure they are up to date and don't contain leaks

or in my intern case, the only significant thing i did was setting up a DNS exflltration VM

tldr: bug bounties are great, but you likely won't be doing that in infosec

CS isn't about programming retard

Protip to all you underaged b& out there:
The next bubble is the bio sciences.
People hopping onboard now will have it made.
But you're gonna see this same thing happening there in 10-20 years.

Is bio science like nanomanchines deigned to enter bodies or like GMO plants or both

I wanted to get a CS degree but since I wound up having stuff get in the way and effectively started school 4 years late, I watched what would've been an ez money market become worthless to pursue before my very eyes.

I'm looking to get a degree in mathematics now but still personally want to get experience in CS and web development. Is it worth getting a Red Hat certification and doing system administration to gain work experience before transferring into something else?

Great, I can't wait until this happens because then all the air wasting money chasers will fuck off from computer stuff because "boo hoo it doesn't pay as well as bioscience".

One way ticket to COPENhagen for this gentleman, please.

Attached: 28CA05EBE20E4F89B920B35C68042059.gif (474x354, 384K)

t. clueless neet

I will gladly work in a SOC for a few years to gain experience, collect certs, and move up the ladder/into a specialized discipline in infosec

Looks comfy.

CS is like theoretical physics. Sure, it has little to do with the applied field but also good fucken luck getting a job

KARLIE KLOSS
A
R
L
I
E

>reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwbfw/professor_gave_us_a_dire_warning_that_cs_is_going/
>For example, he says that there are schools who are removing math requirements from CS and are doing things to "improve diversity" by dumbing CS down drastically and that there is becoming increasing numbers of CS grads who "hold a degree from a university that would be equal to a community college CS degree 10 years ago".
Brave words in academia.

>fucking suck at calculus.
>can understand most of the shit in computer science, or at least force myself to have a general grasp of it's implementation and use

I only ever took 1 math class and I'm a senior in the IT program lol tho I didn't go for anything software or programming related so maybe I got lucky

Exactly what he said. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Know why CS is failing? Very simple. Those in it dont work while getting educated so they have no real world experience. Those working involving the physical field have absolutely no idea what they are doing. How to disassemble a PC, Printer, Fax Machine, etc is a new thing to them. Ask them to crimp a network cable would result in deer in headlight look. Telling a person to use a simple wmic command vs a overly complicated powershell script is completely foreign to them. I have no concerns about my future in the industry, those coming in fresh after schooling are absolutely fucked.

You get paid a lot for programming Motherboards/CPUs/GPUs.
Just saiyan ;)

This is why you become a cloud engineer and not a code monkey. One day you faggots will learn

>cloud engineer
Literally as pajeet as programming

Kill yourself Sandeep

It's Cornell bro. I bet you that it's like this a lot of the time. Higher performing students always take advantage of office hours. But yeah, it's almost ogre.

t. Kapoor

You're ridiculous and so is he.

Attached: 1536727353401.png (521x459, 281K)

i don't get it.. why are all these people sitting in a hallway with their iTODDLER devices?

Because this is the absolute state of CS now. Either 15kg MSI gaming laptops or iToys. Nothing comfy like a thinkpad or xps or any lightweight laptop that does all the development job.

"Do what I say, not what I do" is the proverb you're looking for...

Programming is part of CS, Einstein.

Math is very useful in IT but not vital, logical reasoning is.

>Nothing comfy like a thinkpad or xps or any lightweight laptop that does all the development job
couldn't agree more.

I think they're waiting in line for help from the professor, or as it's known now, "getting an A".

higher education is an unfortunate scam

>tfw passion is purely theoretical computer science
>because of all the pajeets software engineering took over cs
>nowhere for me to go

Because it's impossible he's in an industry that maybe he doesn't actually want to be in, retard.

ah. thanks user. and yeah, i kinda agree about the scam part.. i know plenty of people that have been working in IT/CS for decades with no degrees at all, just overflowing with skills and experience got them constant work.

>programming is part of cs
Yes in the same way simple arithmetic is part of mathematics, but that's not what the major is about

is cs and software engineering different?

>IT/CS

Any 'tard can work in IT as a sysadmin, network engineer, or security scapegoat without a degree. True CS requires higher education at a minimum.

Attached: 1534312136572.gif (160x200, 1.94M)

This is completely true, Western dev salaries are going to fall BELOW average wage as a tsunami of semi-competent Indian graduates outcompete them.
Even though I'm a dev, I can't wait for the catastrophe. The industry has become pure cancer propelled only by VC money with onions cucks earning way above their station. The income disparity compared to much more productive jobs is fundamentally unfair.

>CS will die in your lifetime
I don't think it's going to die, you'll just have to study it on your own.

>onions
I thought the filter is only on Jow Forums, oh well.
Does that fuck up recipes with s o y on /ck/?

>True CS requires higher education at a minimum.
i'll pass that on to people i know in that field. they'll get a good laugh out of this.

>Jow Forumsros

Attached: JE SUIS JUSTE UN PEU ENROBE.png (836x836, 1.05M)

Which universities do they do research at? Oh, they are only codemonkeys?

A lot of people see nothing but $$$ when they think CS. 50% will likely drop by junior year

>reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwbfw/professor_gave_us_a_dire_warning_that_cs_is_going/
That's the most based professor I have ever seen

glad i left university years ago

Keep telling yourself that

Only thing he didn’t name was the J

Notice that not one of those students has their hands on the keyboard.

here in germany the number of students starting CS has more than doubled in the last 10 years or so. total non issue though since the number of graduates remained almost constant kek. look at how many people graduate, not at how many people you see waiting for the TA in first semester.

i will user

heh

It's because everywhere is pushing STEM as a magic bullet degree that will guarantee you a big fat 300k starting paycheque.

But i think humanities and arts are pretty essential too, despite what the autists thing. History in particular, it tends to give you a sense of perspective and appreciation of the long term.

>mfw someone citescoding as a hobby

why waste precious time and energy on a tedious process that doesn't even make you money?

you don't need to go to a school for a humanities education.

it's too late, even the pajeets are catching onto it once they figured out you can just run a bunch of tools in order and get something out of it

>But i think humanities and arts are pretty essential too,
but what jobs/industry are they useful in
I heard history is good for lawyers and politicians

Not for STEM either to be honest. I feel like my education has been waste of time. It's just a glorified CV filter for HR whores.

it's retarded conclusion to draw. If you have a CS education you can take on ANY IT job. CS applies to more than just slinging code.

It's all about dumbing down, and eventually killing off, whitey. Pushing meme degrees on young women in particular to keep them out of the medical profession. Why? So that the medical profession will be loaded up with foreign workers when the population of non-whites vote to euthanise old people (most of whom are white). They'll happily do it. BYE BYE!

I couldnt find a single programming job out of college. It was all super competitive and tge pay didnt seem worth it. Now I fell into the world of data science and am seeing more demand.

SQL is easy as fuck and the pay is pretty good.

Attached: 1542571388876.jpg (540x540, 26K)