NetBSD Thread

I've always been interested in NetBSD, but I wonder why nobody seems to talk about it here. What does NetBSD offer? Do any of you use it?
NetBSD thread.

Attached: netbsd amiga.gif (1152x900, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

embeddedarm.com/blog/netbsd-toaster-powered-by-the-ts-7200-arm9-sbc/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2
linuxdc.sourceforge.net/
za.netbsd.org/ports/playstation2/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>what does netbsd offer
nothing interesting
>do any of you use it
I used it in the past
Just move on and play with netbsd on a spare laptop or in a VM, it's useless in the real world unless you have an ancient server

>nothing interesting
I mostly want to know if it's a good alternative to Linux if you're not running any proprietary software anyway.

it's not a good alternative to Linux imo
Just use whatever distro you like.

It's the same shit, maybe some programs change but that's it

>Just use whatever distro you like.
Everything either has SystemD or is run by retards.

install gentoo

I'm using Gentoo right now and I don't have the patience to keep up with a rolling release model, and updating world every week takes way too long.

Sign up for a free SDF.org shell if you want to play with NetBSD. It basically shriveled up and died as a relevant project when Linux overtook it on relevant supported hardware.

ah so a corelet then

>This board isn't for libertarian christians, it's for technology
Thanks I like the distro called NetBSD.

>>This board isn't for libertarian christians, it's for technology
Wrong thread

Can I be a Libertarian Godfag who likes NetBSD on a technology board?

Bump for interest.

nothing wrong with systemd faggot
you got memed by devuan fanboys

NetBSD is extremely comfy and will run on anything.

Gnu/hurd uses netbsd device drivers.

>What does NetBSD offer?
VERY low system requirements, absolutely zero (0) bloat. Basically even lighter than alpine. Pkgsrc is also absolutely awesome, it's basically like gentoo's portage but uses Makefiles neatly sorted in a folder tree by category.
>Do any of you use it?
Yes on my ps2 and on my old ibook g3. It's amazing for very low spec systems and really shines with unpopular cpu architectures like MIPS or PowerPC32.

No it's not meant to be used as your daily driver at all. Once again it's VERY minimalistic, that means that pretty much nothing will work out of the box aside maybe your ethernet card.

System D is bloated insecure backdoored botnet spyware.

Reminder:

embeddedarm.com/blog/netbsd-toaster-powered-by-the-ts-7200-arm9-sbc/

it kicks butt if you're a programmer and want to be able to edit/install your OS from source and cross compile on different platforms. the build system is great and the code is easy to read and understand.

Exact same words that are used by Devuan and Artix faggots

cont'd, just in general if you want to learn about OS architecture you can't go past it. just think about the code quality difference between platform specific programs and portable programs. Also there's custom OS builds and rumpkernels to explore.

Honestly, the only things it offers over OpenBSD is pkgsrc, and, if you're lucky, Nouveau support. The latter might be very useful though, if it doesn't crash on you.

buzzword buzzword something something buzzword meme from Jow Forums

pkgin and pkgsrc are both a joy to use. Their rump kernels are a pretty interesting thing that I need to look into too.

I use on my Vax system

What vax model? An actual one or a micro or station variant?

Attached: VAX_11-780.jpg (5312x2988, 3.82M)

Semi-related
pkgsrc is cool.

Attached: Pkgsrc.svg.png (1920x1381, 90K)

pkgsrc on Slackware is a lifesaver

linux doesn't support the ps2 or dreamcast

what about a kernel without the biglock

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2
linuxdc.sourceforge.net/

>ps2
Incorrect.

Attached: file.png (493x310, 171K)

ancient

how do you even boot the netbsd ps2 port i have never seen it working. i would love to try it with my softmodded slim ps2

MIPS fast.

Attached: file.png (158x173, 38K)

shut up dude, Jow Forums isn't supposed to know about things like sdf, grex, hashbang, the tildes, etc

>linux doesn't support the ps2 or dreamcast
>gets BTFO
>oh, yeah, i mean.. it's ancient. yes, that's right. that's what i meant. they'll believe me.
try harder, faggot.

You need a fat model

why? i can boot linux without the official kit, using fmcb

I current linux.... not an outdated 2.6 series kernel

It requires the official kit and is incompatible with PS2 kernelloader
za.netbsd.org/ports/playstation2/

mx and void are cute

>VERY low system requirements, absolutely zero (0) bloat. Basically even lighter than alpine.
Is there a reason that every time I install it I always have a couple hundred megs of RAM usage out of the box?

I'd say don't listen to these freetards, try it in a vm. It looks nice.
>it's useless in the real world unless you have an ancient server
Pkgsrc released 10 April 2019
Hmm... Supports 64bit and although you need to follow the guide installing in uefi.
I added this to my list of possible os's to switch too after I don't need windows for college, right under openbsd, linjeets not found. Thanks.

Uh yeah definitely, when I installed it on my ibook it was using like 10m of ram. That's maybe because you installed the x11 set?

>That's maybe because you installed the x11 set?
Even when I wasn't running X11, it would still take up a lot.

wayland is better and more secure.

Can't use my window manager on wayland, so no buy.

NetBSD is what you use when
>stability matters more than performance or compatibility
>you have an obscure platform that no one else supports

Wow cool screenshot, it's X11 with a bunch of generic *nix programs all jumbled into a fucking mess in an ancient stacking wm. Why would you pick this image for a NetBSD thread? Also, who does black text on white background for their terminal?

>Also, who does black text on white background for their terminal?
I do.

get a better wm or write one yourself.

>get a better wm or write one yourself.
No

>What does NetBSD offer?
It offers what OpenBSD doesn't, a decent extremely minimal OS without the need to shove itself in your face with pretentious gimmicks and trannies.

Attached: 1551635835406.jpg (400x400, 19K)

>stability matters more than performance
Still better performance than something like openbsd

There is something called sway you know? An i3 replacement for wayland

I use windowmaker

>OpenBSD
>trannies
There was one, and it's not a part of the project anymore because it clashed with Theo