Using Zen+ and Vega instead of Zen 2 and Navi for APUs

>using Zen+ and Vega instead of Zen 2 and Navi for APUs
What the fuck is AMD thinking? They could have absolutely obliterated lower end Intel

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-3000-Ryzen-3-3200G-APU-1.jpg (1918x1038, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fudzilla.com/news/graphics/48019-radeon-vii-16gb-hbm-2-memory-cost-around-320
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>thinking zen2 is going to be cheap
that's a yikes from me

>yikes
cringe

>cringe
cringe

>cringe
yikes

they need a different design for the APUs, and since they are some of the cheapest parts, they are also the last ones to be moved to a new node.

But they will, 4000 series APUs (Zen2 + Navi) will hit shelves in Jan

> tfw no thin laptop with pic related
why even live?

Attached: ryzen-4800H.png (2048x2344, 93K)

Cringe
Yikes
Yikes
Cringe

>4GB HBM in a laptop
Wew

But the Zen 2 APUs are coming.

What are these vegan cores for?

?

Attached: hbm2.png (2058x890, 785K)

No wonder it's a fucking furnace.

You should know HBM uses less energy than GDDR user.

My point was that having any kind of memory in an APU would make the chip an oven. Also I don't think you can put GDDR in an APU.

You don't put huge blobs of memory on die for more reasons than just the thermals. It's simply a huge waste of money

The APU's are functionally one generation behind the processors they carry the marketing name for. The APU's with Zen2 and Navi technology will be labeled 4000 Series.

>having any kind of memory in an APU would make the chip an oven
Intel uses a 128MB DDR3 module in their processors with Iris Pro graphics (L4 cache), and that's on their firehouse 14nm node.
I don't see why a 7nm chip with HBM2 and fairly low clocks adequate for laptops would heat more than what we currently have.

AMD was working on it, they were trying to get GDDR onto a stick like a DIMM or SODIMM but nobody was really interested, not the memory companies nor the motherboard manufacturers.

And baking it into say a motherboard would have raised costs substantially. But i believe in pure theory, APU's do have the memory channels to support dedicated memory if someone made a board with it built in.

APUs are usually a gen behind. AMD needs to hire more engineers.

Anybody who thinks AMD is going to put HBM on a fucking APU needs to wake the fuck up. It just isn't meant for $50-150 APUs.

>"Currently HBM 2 chips costaround $80 for 4GB. It is very hard for us to estimate the exact price that AMD is paying to its supplier but with this in mind 16 HBM 2 could be as expensive as $320, very close to half of the whole cost. This will be close to what AMD is paying."

fudzilla.com/news/graphics/48019-radeon-vii-16gb-hbm-2-memory-cost-around-320

You're also NOT going to get RX 580 level graphics on a fucking APU. Sure AMD could hash out a 180W TDP quad-core with that level of performance + 4GB stack of HBM to boot for like $300 but then how much do you think a motherboard that supports that would cost? $200, maybe $300.

$80 1600 + $120 Rx 570 is better option anyway.

Do you know how much Intel charges for their "premium" laptop processors with Iris graphics?

Crikey

Attached: file.png (433x417, 122K)

Meh, it's overpowered anyway unless you want to edit audio video streams.