Wouldn't using an engine coolant instead of water give better results?

Wouldn't using an engine coolant instead of water give better results?

Just a question. I never actually dealt with water cooling irl, but it just occured to me

Attached: 717hbe1i+kL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1012, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-fluids-d_151.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.
The engine coolant is mostly water with additives that prevent freezing anyway.

Water is the fluid with the highest heat capacity by far.

Just use hydrogen bro

Don't coolants actually have additives that allow them to handle higher temperatures than water? Water at 100 degrees Celsius will start evaporating whereas coolants should be able to handle up to... idk... 120 degrees?

The only benefit those offer over water anyway is freezing prevention, like the other poster said, but also prevention of damage to the radiator/hoses through minerals that may be in the water. So if you're having issues with your hoses and radiator failing/leaking, maybe?

You want evaporation in something like a cooling loop though. That's a very efficient way of dissipating heat.
Engines work with several times higher temperatures than CPUs, water is more than fine and anything with a higher boiling point could actually be bad.

Water can't evaporate if it can't escape from the tubes.

100 degrees liquid is insanely hot. You'll run into issues long before reaching those kinds of liquid temps. Case in point, Asetek coolers are rated for up to 60c liquid temperatures.

>higher temperature
they pressurize the entire cooling system for this to work, seriously you can cool you car no problem just fine on tap water. Just if that water freezes you risk cracking your radiator and blowing out all of the freeze plugs in the motor, and even cracking the motor.

Furthermore I don't know why youd even want a fluid capable of higher temperatures anyways. Its not like the problem with cpu cooling is that water cant hold enough heat, its more about efficiency at which water can take heat away from the cpu.

For ultimate results youd want something like a giant waterblock that has a huge pure copper "heatsink" with tons of fins that that water can pass over. And then have this mounted directly onto the die and soldered on. Even then you're still at the mercy of the heat transfer rate of copper.

>Water is the fluid with the highest heat capacity by far.
I'd say that fridge's coolant are better.

Engine coolant is water plus anti freeze. If you wanna be be a real hardcore mofo then you want to use chilled liquid cooling, which again is water plus anti freeze and if course a water chiller. If you want a liquid cooling that can handle over 100degrees C than that's what engine oil is for. Unless your pc is putting out mega watts instead of the paltry 300w it probably is you are fine with water user

>I'd say that fridge's coolant are better.
id say youre wrong

What will give better results is radiator and waterblock quality. You want to dissipate heat as fast as possible and just relying on water alone isn't enough. That's why you see a big difference in temps between a hyper 212 and a noctua D15. The density of the heatsink, along with how they design their heatpipes and CPU plate is what affects the performance the most. The fans/water help too but those can only do much on their own.

You probably cant make AIOs better without moving to copper. They perform similarly to EK's aluminum kit despite the fact that the EK kit should have a better block and pump. A thicker rad might help but then itll still need to run at higher fan speeds to make a difference

What's the best performing 360 aio?

Coolermaster Masterliquid 360

Still slightly worse and way more expensive than Noctua though. Only benefits are lower noise, easier install, and the coolness factor when showing off.

Did you take that quote straight from that faggot's last video?

>What's the best performing 360 AIO
Whichever has the thickest rad and then the fans of your choice. They're all pretty much the same still.

If you mean Linus he only shills Corsair

The waterblocks they use also make a difference. For example corsairs new waterblock sucks compared to their older one.

They test other things. IT's just that corsair is a sponsor of theirs. He actually just put up a video where a noctua air cooler beat a corsair 360 AIO.

I always hear about watercooling systems but never read too much into it

Are there systems that uae radiators for desktop PCs and how effecient are they?

ammonia is the best for heat index user not water
engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-fluids-d_151.html

Ammonia is a gas under normal conditions, unless you're running it under high pressure.

The water on a cooling setup like this (aka. radiator) wont stay in contact with the hot surfaces long enough time for it to reach boiling point, it keeps traveling back and forth 'transporting' the heat off the cpu/engine.
Also, stop buying intel.

Noctua

Most reliable system with great results?

One neat thing is that you'd pretty much know instantly that your loop is ruptured / leaking.

Ammonia solution has a boiling point of 37°C or something.