/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/refactoring-ui/7-practical-tips-for-cheating-at-design-40c736799886
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1095&v=HaEPXoXVf2k
dribbble.com/
uplabs.com/
behance.net/
goodweb.design/
onepagelove.com/
awwwards.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=M3BM9TB-8yA
udemy.com/course/the-complete-web-development-bootcamp/
cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/09/odd.serkis.reut/index.html
privatebin.net/?ca282f02f8283282#wJhr99RPBbWOo6UlXUIMTB6Msi5xcSoCfXtuV0vC0Gk=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you are similar to me and are annoyed how bad you are at design and would like to develop a better sense of what makes elements look good on a page, I can recommend this book.

It's basically a much longer version of this
medium.com/refactoring-ui/7-practical-tips-for-cheating-at-design-40c736799886

Attached: book-cover-sm.png (824x962, 55K)

I have *knowledge* of programming (but not the skills, it means I understand basic things like OOP concepts, etc etc, don't need to be taught what is a variable or function; written some code here and there but never finished a solid project) and Web.
Now I want to learn PHP & Laravel as (reasonably) fast as possible. I aim at gaining relevant skills to make money as a freelancer rather than anything else.
So I want something intense, nonsense-free and practice-oriented that will set me up as a beginner developer ready to solve trivial real world tasks and move on. A guide or an ebook or something, you know.

Check out Laracasts.

Looks neat but that would take 80 ameripesos out of my neetbucks budget

As a Boomer I suck at design,
and that's helpful.
Thanks user !

Attached: a5659caab2eb55061361ffd3b2f573b3ddf09420.jpg (720x576, 114K)

Yeah it's a hefty price tag. I didn't have the funds to buy it either.
You can find it on the pirate bay.

I've read that article, it's really good. Definitely recommend, even if you're a developer eventually you'll have to make some quick UI fixes or maybe you'll make your own UI for a personal project and a few fixes can make your website look much cleaner.

I can email it to you.

do a small project in laravel.
if you don't have any idea what to make make a todolist site with login registration in laravel.

so what do you use for date picker?
right now i am using html5

[/code]
any good lightweight alternative?

Just use the most popular datepicker component for whatever framework you use.

What's wrong with that one? It can't get more lightweight than that.

>doing front end
>never want to do it again because I feel so unproductive and my entire days just dispensary googling stupid fucking shit to try fix dumb shit for weird aspect ratios or devices/browsers

> I feel so unproductive and my entire days just dispensary googling stupid fucking shit to try fix dumb shit

Welcome to webdev.
/wdg/ here to help you

Attached: crop.jpg (192x192, 5K)

> tfw my company fell for the MongoDB meme, for a FUCKING CLASSIC RELATIONAL DATABASE

We take twice longer to write requests now.

Aggregate queries are just fucking stupid.

Only useful for big data with a single collection, even then, it's a PITA to debug. Fuck man.

Why do every fucking website out there advocate using it even if it's a clusterfuck for 99% use cases in webdev ?

Attached: 79ce4e7d2d71ded8c0208c1fac9d7acfe8d6dc3d.jpg (399x404, 36K)

Cause they are Zoomers who couldn't manage to learn how to do database schema migrations properly.

We posted the video here, you just had to listen, NoSQL is not for relational data. It can be, but then you'll need extra work.

Which video ?

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1095&v=HaEPXoXVf2k

Thanks user

>Not testing before adopting it

I usually just create a small scale test project for evaluating any new shiny thing that the higher ups are convinced we need.

Everyone hates everything I launch.

No idea how people with dumb ideas can keep getting successful exits and I can't even get users.

well, what did you launch?

Any ideas for a small web project I can work on over the summer?

well actually i want it in dd/mm/yy format but on firefox it is mm/dd/yy

it's always yyyy-mm-dd, only the presentation to the user depends on whatever OS language/region they use.

Good catch

As an aspiring full stack freelancer who couldn't care less about front end design, where can I look for layout insipiration?

dribbble.com/

dribbble.com/
uplabs.com/
behance.net/
have fun feeling inadequate

some more
goodweb.design/
onepagelove.com/
awwwards.com/

I want to give everyone that registers to my site a subdomain.

How would you do that?

wtf no one told me jquery was this based. i have been avoiding jquery since i started js. now working on this project with bootstrap frontend and tried it. it's fucking awesome

Thanks boys

My old boss wanted to move our highly relational database to mongo because he was sure it would be better so I just fucking quit.

>tfw bought domain for $1.30
>tfw hosting my website on a free php host
>tfw managed to remove all advertisements from the host
now i just need to trick adsense into accepting it

Attached: evil driven web developer.jpg (470x595, 47K)

How do you Jow Forumsuys secure your websites? I've got a small amazon lightsail instance with apache that I host a couple domains on. I'm using cloudflare's free tier to give them a little extra security. Is that enough? What else should I use?

block russian and chinese ips

which free hosting?

000webhost, it's from the same group as hostinger and wix if i'm not mistaken.

youtube.com/watch?v=M3BM9TB-8yA
Glad this zoomer is finally repented and realized the mess he created

Attached: fmly1mo60lg21.jpg (443x455, 33K)

You did good.

Wish I did the same desu.

The project is now a spaghetti clusterfuck.
Dunno how we'll get out of this.

Attached: 1e7eOGqH2Aw54_rV74nh-h2f2FsR90z6KpuwrXPPa9M.png (454x960, 126K)

You can host for free with a million services, like heroku (which is shit) or GCP/AWS (if in the free tier, which most noob sites are)
And you can get free domains anyway. but shitty $1 .xyz domains are a bit better, I guess

If you want to be even more thrifty you can make an application that swaps server when AWS/GCP goes down and use one of their services that will kick you off to make room for the big boys.

All you need to do is spin up a new server when you get the "you're kicked faget" message 60s before it happens, then shut the current one off, it will be by force anyway, but might as well do it before it crashes.
By doing this you can get massive performance and scale for like 1/5th the price

000webhost sucks ass.

My site was originally on 000webhost but then they got hacked and everyones accounts were leaked because they stored the passwords in PLAIN TEXT like morons.

Once my site started getting a few hundred daily users they started to force redirect my website to an ad one of every 10 loads.

On top of all that, I advertised their hosting for years and know for a fact that people signed up with my affiliate link and they just kept saying no one signed up.

That place is a scam.

OH and one time they deleted my database and I lost a month of content since my last backup.

Fuck that place. I migrated everything over to digitalocean and haven't had a problem since.

> GCP/AWS
needs credit card

So? Are you like 12?
Why are you trying to get into a profession if you can't even pay for the absolute basics of web hosting?

Not everyone want to enter its personal credit cartd info user
t.Pro

This.
I usually use the one from my company, but never mine.
Don't trust the botnet

Why? Credit cards are protected against fraud. The worst that happens is someone makes an unauthorized charge, you make a call, your money is given back to you.

Wow, how scary. You're thousands of times more likely to have your card skimmed while pumping gas or do you not use your card there either?

Finally thought of a good saas. Please lord let this be the one.

How do I tell a good course from a bad one?
I honestly only want this one I pirated since I can tolerate her voice.

udemy.com/course/the-complete-web-development-bootcamp/

I asked in the daily programming and got called a shill - I already pirated her course, I just used the Udemy link since it's not a virus ridden download site, I just want to know if the course seems good

In REST, what does "state transfer" mean?
What is the state here and where is it being transferred to?

not everyone own a credit card.
t. pajeet

I've got a big redesign project coming up (getting the design to implement more or less) for a site on crm. Gonna do it with grid, flex and native js. the 100 google score on mobile will be advertised like a mofo before they weigh down the site with 20 trackers

I love microframeworks.
I hate microframeworks.

it's good, but i'd rather make it my own otherwise websites all start to look the same as one another and it's sickening

Well the book encourages you to experiment.
It doesn't really tell you what to do, but rather explains why certain things may look bad or good.
You know when you design something, but it doesn't look quite right, but you also can't figure out why that is... at least that's where I found it helpful personally.

so uh, do you plan on supporting IE/EDGE or do you just like replacing grid with flex/anything else when it inevitably doesn't work in those browsers.

Developing an API initially before fleshing out a front-end.
Been using Apache Bench and Postman locally, but now want an actual test suite for load testing.
Any suggestions?

That's the book by the creators of Tailwind, right?
Is it more focused on initial creation of designs or updating existing designs?

Basically you are asking to change the state of the website when you perform a GET or POST. So when you click on www.Jow Forums.org/g/ you are saying take me from this state I'm in right now to the state where I see Jow Forums.

My company is allowing people to move and work remotely and people are choosing to move to places like California and Denver and other expensive places and quitting the company a month later for a job that pays more.

Because of this the engineering team is short-handed and backed up with work and it fucking sucks. I'm literally juggling 4 projects right now.

1 as a backend dev but the site is close to being launched i'm just fixing the odd bug here and there.

1 as the jr fullstack dev. the frontend of the site is built but i'm helping the backend dev put it together

1 as the frontend dev who is helping the backend dev as needed. it's pretty much ready to launch though

1 as the frontend dev that just started and i havent even begun work on it yet because i'm busy with the other 3 sites above it all day fixing odd shit.

i was formally an intern for this company but now im a jr and i used to live in fear of being fired for not being good enough now im pretty happy knowing i cant be fired because we have so much fucking work. but it does suck

about to start working again now and i just got off work 4 hours ago.

Attached: 5a74feb0e5c77f83c8b093210f706ee0--jason-voorhees-horror-movies.jpg (474x705, 28K)

>Denver
I am trying to move here. Is it really that expensive? It seems cheaper than California by a lot depending on the part of California.

that sounds awesome, not sarcastic, it sounds like a rush

yea, thanks for this i'm going to check it out...i'm in the same boat, i'm shockingly terrible at putting stuff together that looks halfway decent, it would be nice to know what i'm doing on this

You're right. It is. I'm not upset I'm in this position. A lot of people who are more on the med level or senior level would probably not work after 5pm even with this workload on them but for me, as a junior, it is fun, it's a lot of experience which I still need. They say you need 10,000 hours in a skill to master something I just see this as me getting my 10,000 hours in. I also enjoy working for this company and hopes it solidifies me as a solid person on the team if I can handle all of this.

It also makes the work week (mon-fri) go by a lot faster.

Apparently, Denver is as expensive as most other big cities Chicago but not as expensive as say California or Seattle which are insanely expensive.

>Apparently, Denver is as expensive as most other big cities Chicago
Okay that's not so bad then. I probably wouldn't live right in the middle of Denver though maybe that would make it cheaper.

What's a good way to test an integration to a third-party API? It's a class with several methods that correspond to transactions on this service. Some of these methods necessarily have to make several requests over a network.
In the past I've only written unit tests for basic desktop programs that didn't involve any sort of network IO.
Links? Personal Experience? I've done some digging around but I'd like to get /wdg/ opinions
PHP btw

Can you mock the request instead of actually performing it?

If I have a python server that is incrementing a counter, how do I use React hooks to display this counter in real-time without refreshing the page?

>take a year off college due to reasons
>Make a few full stack apps
>Think I meet the requirements for a few jobs
>Get rejected as I haven't finished college yet
I hate this, why can boot campers but not me?

How do you guys feel about a site that allows haikus as posts

so I'm learning APIs and stuff
how can I parse a php curl response and save things into variables? the response is in XML

this is what I'm trying

TRUE

A0
RESPONSABILIDAD CIVIL SOLAMENTE

PHP
$reply = curl_exec($ch); //this works, gathers the response in raw format

$xml = simplexml_load_string($reply); //converting response to simpleXML object

foreach ($xml->cotizacion->cobertura() as $cobertura) { //getting "call to undefined method" here
echo $cobertura->premio;
}

oh shit . Please don't burn out user.
You should ask for a raise desu

Attached: fc1c6e9b2cebabac868ca695bbbbefe9068ca4f1.png (859x859, 444K)

where can I learn Laravel and php ? Can I learn laravel without php ?

We need to go back bros, old classic web design.
cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/09/odd.serkis.reut/index.html

> Can I learn laravel without php ?
It would be like learning to dive without learning to swim

Attached: c7ff25b66b98160df940aba5ab15c2b7.gif (650x831, 932K)

I hate accessibility

sockets???
t.brainlet

just get the php basics from learnxinyminutes (if you know programming and http basics)
and then jump into laravel

Just found out Yarn is a 100% botnet created by Facebook.

uninstalled that shit immediately

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT i fucking HATE creating CSS layouts for phones/tablets fucking kill me.

YHow come i cant math?

fireball = 10
fire_res = -10

if fire_res == -10
print "Hunter was hit for #{fireball} * #{fire_res} damage!"

else
print "attack dodged!"

end

Does having a messy CSS matters? I am just throwing shit at a wall until it sticks and dont even give a fuck if i write margin: faggot retard as long as it works it stays in the code.

just found my new wallpaper... thanks fren

If it works for you sure, but when or if you want to have a webdev job you better make it look clean and without memes

nvm i did it . I still think having two interpolations should have worked

It only matters if you have to look at the code in the future again.

Am I doing promises wrong?

function imgToMD5(source){
console.log(source);
let cargaImagen = new Promise((resolve,reject) =>{
var img = new Image();
var canvas = document.createElement("canvas");
resolveData = []
resolveData[0] = img;
resolveData[1] = canvas;
resolve(resolveData);
reject("No ha funcionado");
});
cargaImagen.then((resolveData) => {
var img = resolveData[0];
var canvas = resolveData[1];
//var ctx = resolveData[2];
var textBlob;
img.src = source;
canvas.height = img.naturalHeight;
canvas.width = img.naturalWidth;
var ctx = canvas.getContext("2d");
let cargaCanvas = new Promise((cargado,dibuerror)=>{
ctx.drawImage(img,0,0);
cargado("Dibujado");
dibuerror("Error al dibujar");
});
cargaCanvas.then((cargado) =>{
var testing = "lets try";
testing = canvas.toDataURL();
});
canvas.toDataURL('image/jpeg', 0.5);
}

It appears that canvas.toDataURL() fails, not even returning anything, only reason I can think of is that the canvas isn't ready when it's called, but per the promises it really should 100% be, right?

what else is bad about it other than developed by facebook?
only thing i hate about it is you can't fucking search with a package manager

it literally tracks you, and every package you install

yeah, you are making things obfuscated as fuck. can't make heads or tails out of that one.

why are you even using promises right there

You are right and I should have cleaned it up to begin with, I let frustration get the worst of me.

//Get the MD5 from an image link
function imgToMD5(source){
console.log(source);
//Promise to create Image object, to ensure it has finished before using it.
let loadImage = new Promise((resolve,reject) =>{
var img = new Image();
var canvas = document.createElement("canvas");
var resolveData = []
resolveData[0] = img;
resolveData[1] = canvas;
resolve(resolveData);
reject("Error creating image object or canvas.");
});
loadImage.then((resolveData) => {
var img = resolveData[0];
var canvas = resolveData[1];
img.src = source;
canvas.height = img.naturalHeight;
canvas.width = img.naturalWidth;
var ctx = canvas.getContext("2d");
//Promise to draw the image into the canvas, to ensure that it's drawn before triggering toDataURL()
let loadCanvas = new Promise((resolve,reject)=>{
ctx.drawImage(img,0,0);
resolve(canvas);
reject("Error while drawing canvas.");
});
loadCanvas.then((canvas) =>{
console.log(canvas) //This actually shows canvas elements are created, fine and dandy.
console.log(canvas.toDataURL()); //This doesn't show anything at all, not even null or undefined
return canvas.toDataURL();
});
});
}

Arite the code is "fine", I just found out I'm having a security error.

Long story short, I'm trying to make a firefox plugin to automatically archive web.whatsapp photos, in order to know if I've downloaded a photo already I'm getting its md5 and to do that I have to grab the image and turn it into base64 first.

Turns out that I can go as far as getting the image, getting it into a canvas, drawing the canvas with the image on the screen even, but trying to use .toDataURL() on it even after it's on screen returns

SecurityError: The operation is insecure.

Which I hope I can manage with permissions or something,

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Jow Forums thinks this is spam but here you go privatebin.net/?ca282f02f8283282#wJhr99RPBbWOo6UlXUIMTB6Msi5xcSoCfXtuV0vC0Gk=

Is it possible for JS to see if someone is using a mobile or Desktop device? Maybe through resolution? Want to have some mobile only "features"

After getting into webdev and programming in general you can really see how much of a piss easy website was Jow Forums to make.

>implying moot did any prpgramming other than copy-pasting from Futaba and writing a few php scripts

What language would Moot use for Jow Forums if he created it today, Go? Node? .Net-core?