Why are storage drives expanding so slowly now? Next gen games are supposed to be 8k...

Why are storage drives expanding so slowly now? Next gen games are supposed to be 8k. 4TB is nothing at this point and will be prohibitively expensive to begin with.

Attached: 1A91F40D-7AC7-44BF-9061-55847EEC85EB.jpg (1242x1808, 555K)

SSDs aren't for bulk storage, idiot.

Because mechanical harddrives are already big enough and SSDs were never meant for large amounts of data storage?

I can buy a lot of 8~10TB WD easystores for that price.

But 8k resolution has nothing to do with their size. If you mean texture size, 4x4k textures have been in use for ages, they are barely any bigger.
Average game size right now is around 60GB. 4TB will be fine.

Why not? They aren't for archival or backup, but bulk storage? Sure.
I have 2TB of SSD local storage. Enough for everything I need locally.

Where did this meme originate from? SSDs are a type of storage, use it for what you want.
I'd say SSDs are perfect for local storage and HDDs for your file server for holding your shit, with tape for array backups.

Because we haven't yet found smaller particles that can be used for data storage.
We currently use nano particles, and researchers are working on molecular hard drives.

>gaymen
Heres what you do user.
Stop playing gaymes, buy yourself a 500gb ssd and a NAS with some 10tb drives from seagate. Make sure they're the good quality ones that can take being spun up next to other drives often.

Now that you have 20+tb of storage, simply torrent all the anime and movies you could ever want. If you have a roku TV or you aren't retarded, you could stream directly to that from the NAS.

I have the poor mans version of this, a sabrent external HDD enclosure and a 2tb HDD and WOOOO that baby can fit so much animes on it.

>next-gen games are supposed to be 8k

imagine actually beliving this. they'll be """8k""" just like current consoles are """4k""" and anyone on PC won't give a shit either way, and what the fuck does that have to do with storage anyway?

k gaymez
user do you even know what those words mean

>SSDs = more expensive with typically lower storage capacities but with much faster speeds
>HDDs = less expensive with typiclaly higher storage capacities but with much slower speeds
gee user I wonder where this meme came from

You're right, it sounds like it's a meme made by poorfags.

>You'll be able to stuff a lot of games on WD's upcoming 4tb soldis tate drive

Great, even more unoptimized data garbage the game devs can leave in the data cementaries they call finished software.

Also
>Buying WD storage

>don't play gaymes
>but watch japanese teenage cartoons

Almost there

don’t come back, OP.

by they i dont mean the scientists but the faggot gaymers.

a movie is like 60GiB
where do I store them?
plus it takes at least 30+ minutes to move a single movie with a mechanical hdd

Not him but enjoy your corrupted ssd, transferring bulk data in large amounts easily corrupts the cells leaving a computer unable to differentiate the different parts of the drive rendering it useless, hdd and ssd are different technology man it’s not that hard to understand

>Next gen games are supposed to be 8k

Attached: out.webm (1000x666, 2.57M)

>4TB
>not bulk storage

Attached: mfw I'm not a robot.webm (500x270, 125K)

Why don't we store data in atoms? They're basically 99% empty space. Unused space is wasted space.

Torrent directly to the NAS. You're not this dumb are you?

Because most people aren't storing things anymore.
Guarantee you if they pull someone off the street and look at their hard drive it will be devoid of anything but emails and malware.
Normies are storing most things on the cloud and using services for everything else.
Anyone who cares enough to archive 8tb of anime and movies is going to buy cheaper storage drives anyways.
t. person with 8tb of anime and movies stored

Mechanical drives are noisy and don't like being bumped. SSDs make no noise and don't fail on you when you drop your laptop.

>a movie is like 60GiB

i know right what a jackass, it doesn't take more than 700MB for a rip to be A: 10 and V: 10

4TB is twice the size... of /one/ of the four hdd's i got /9 years ago/ for a pretty mid-end raid which i only spent $500 on
also, while plenty of people can find things to fill 4TB with, not a whole lot of people can do so /and/ require access to it all at speeds over what a hdd can do, let-alone a raid of hdd's

You can play movies directly from the NAS over LAN.

and they never will!

don't get me wrong, it's not like i don't see the point in making bigger ssds
just that for the purpose of "bulk storage", hdd's still make more sense for most people right now, they're much cheaper, and fast enough for most purposes
right now the most cost-effective means of balanced storage is a hdd-based raid, with an ssd (or two) for caching frequently-accessed data

@70765175

>B-B-B-B-BUT MUH GAYUMZ!11

Feel free to go back

he's sadly right
AAA gaming is retarded

I have about 70% of my steam library installed and a 2tb SSD is not big enough.

My steam library is about 300 games. Take from that what you will

how many of those are you actually playing? you might have ADD

t. uses Optane to store movie files

Nope.

Yes they are different technology, that's the point. There's no difference in bulk or continuous usage though.
No need to get butthurt because you're a poorfag.

Good for you.

That doesn't make sense. "Next gen" is a term only used by console manufacturers and gamers, and they can't even run games at 4k. Why the fuck would they bump up the resolution to 8k when even a 2080ti can't run anything at that resolution?

Do you even realize how hardware intensive 8k gaymen would be? That'd be equivalent to playing a game on an array of 16 1080p monitors.

>WD
No thanks, I don't want a backdoor.

I have a 2tb nvme m.2, a 2tb SSD, and a 2tb 7200rpm HDD. Fuck all the people saying bigger SSDs ain't worth shit.

>Keep an archive of torrents on my 2tb 7200rpm HDD
>Need other hard drives for glorious collection of games and software with only about 300gb to spare
>Downloaded ~2tb of TV & Movies for my HDD years ago when demonoid was king
>Anime, sci-fi, every popular 90s kids shows & movies. A horror movie collection that have friends a wet dream, filled with movies found on torrents then but no longer around now
>Netflix & streaming media make it almost obsolete, but over years I realize the classics & hidden gems are worth a rewatch & worth sharing to zoomers
>After years of practically never using any files on the hard drive, I click through it all
>Absolutely everything has devolved into a pixelated blurry mess. Resolutions of 720p or better all look like 60x40 but scaped up
>Crystaldisk shows drive is 100% gtg
>Jow Forums tells me this is life in HDD

AND unfortunately my external 5400rpm HDD that I used as a backup is simply dead according to crystaldisk, and the few files I can pull are corrupted or degraded themselves.

Put everything onto SSDs, backup frequently. Fuck even the JPG screenshots & covers looked like 30x10 resolution scaled up

This is 2019 not 2009. Shut up nigger.

>Western Digital
>Easy for Chinese to steal your data

Regardless of the year HDDs are better for bulk storage. I've had my 4TB HDD for half a decade, meanwhile a 4TB SSD is newsworthy in 2019.

Try writing ridiculously large files or do bulk data transfer to an ssd, after a while the cache will fill up and the transfer will slow to a crawl, it’s basic knowledge

Your only argument is calling people poorfags but you’re literally just a brainlet

Don't fall for the SSD meme, just use a HDD 5200RPM

based, 8tb SSD and i'll retire my hdd

ahhhhh the famed rotary velociraptor

>Why not? They aren't for archival or backup, but bulk storage? Sure.
SSDs are for stuff that doesn't take up much space, but you load often
e.g. your OS+DE and commonly used applications

the question is how write-durable is this

Technology has been falling behind for a long time now. Game devs have big dreams but everything is falling short.
8K can't even be transmitted through a single cable yet, the monitors are extremely expensive, and Nvidia and AMD are nowhere near capable of providing an 8K GPU anytime soon.
This is just another place where hardware developments are stagnating.

literally this. my 1TB WD Blue 5400 RPM drive works fine for games. I get 100 fps in fortnite at 1440p.

This. I would prefer to finally get a 20 TB HDD. I want all my movies on just one drive.

it'll be checkerboarded trash at 30fps at best. they only want the buzzwords on the box.

Squashed particles would result in a neutron star. Enjoy your HDD weighing 200,000 lbs.

For the small price of 2398.99
Enjoy your six months of blazing fast storage!

If all that were true smartphones would stop at 64GB internal

Because next gen fabs capable of laying down 96+ layer vnand don't build themselves.

Is it possible to cram 30TB into 2.5" SSD? Yes. Is it viable for anyone other than a big data center? No.

Keep the demand up, couple it with more and more silicon factories and those capacities will trickle down to your Samsung Evo.

Fuck off retard.

>my dogshit slow HDD jus werx

Attached: 1556073880877.jpg (153x207, 6K)

>8k games
>4tb

I really doubt game devs can fill up that much space even if they tried.

>SSDs aren't for bulk storage, idiot
Jow Forumsenius
>Where did this meme originate from?
it came from fucking retards that are 100% computer illiterate.

>I really doubt game devs can fill up that much space even if they tried.
a lot of game developers don't do a very good job with compression as it is and things will only get worse when 8k is the norm. they're that incompetent and fucking lazy.

>they're that incompetent and fucking lazy.

They seem to think they have to fill up whatever is commonly available, be it disk space, bandwidth, whatever. When I go to a web site and more than one fucking video is autoplaying I have to wonder what kind of fucking idiot thought that made sense.

If you've been around the internet a long time, you realize that for the most part web sites load just as fast now as they did 20 years ago. Granted they do 1000x more things, and things that were not possible on dial-up, but it's like nobody gives a fuck about whether or not they need to load 30 scripts to show a bit of information, as long as the page opens fast enough.

Next gen games will barely handle 4k stfu

Fat SSDs have plenty consumer use cases though. Examples are installing vidya, compiling large very projects such as chromium or android, or simply when you're working with big files such as video editing. No one said you should be using it to store your FLAC collection.

yep, totally agree with you.

>moving the goalpost
Cache is not important in this argument, the average cache size is 1/1000th of the actual size. A 256GB SSD will have only 256MB of cache. That's far from "ridiculous".
An SSD with it's cache full will still be faster than a hard drive. A NVMe drive will even be faster than a SATA SSD with cache, *WITH* it's cache full.

Your argument was that NAND is somehow worse for bulk transfers or storage. Which is false. Plenty of people here who have used dozens of different SSDs with different sizes for different use cases who know this.
Even I have several in RAID 0 right now as local storage, for years already.

Face it, you're a retard.

No, SSDs are for fast storage. How much space you can afford and what you want to keep on it, is entirely up to you.
There's nothing weird with people having several terabytes of games or even media on it for local use.

Yeah but textures are repeating, so even at 8k they won’t weight much. Polygons are insubstantial as well. Most of that 40gig in a standard game is filled with multilingual voice acting and music/sound effects.

There are huge games with a big portion of their size made up by pre-rendered videos in different languages, because lazy.

this

imagine being this much of a brainlet

Attached: file.png (468x299, 30K)

>more reliable storage is not for bulk storage
Nice try, storage Jew

Give it time, we're getting there with the larger sizes finally becoming cheaper.
This 15TB drive is only 2500€
That might seem like a pretty steep price, but it's 50% cheaper than the competition. That's a pretty massive price cut in these larger sizes.
Only few years ago these sizes used to be over 10k a piece.
If this keeps up then in few years we should have affordable +10TB drives. That's unless the industry decides to fix the prices again or something.

Attached: 15tb.png (619x862, 234K)

Can i install windows on it? If not then fuck off

It's a U.2 NVMe drive. Works no different than a M.2 NVMe drive.

I am terribly terribly sorry for cursing at you. So you are saying that even if it's not made for consumer market I can install it in any pc?

Yes, that's what standards are, they make things compliant to use between systems.
There are consumer boards now with U.2 connectors too, but if you don't have one or only have M.2, you can buy a adapter like pic-related. If you lack M.2 too, you can buy a PCIe to M.2 or U.2 passive adapter card too, most modern boards with EFI can boot from NVMe drives, if it's really old though, you might need a 3rd party bootloader.
You didn't curse at me though, I'm not that user.

People who can afford it, have been using enterprise SSDs for their benefits in their high end desktops for a while.

Attached: 71EO1YQYf7L._SX466_.jpg (466x345, 15K)

Eye opening

>Don't fall for the SSD meme
this is a meme

>not harvesting 4200 RPM drives from old computers to use in your modern system
And you tell others not to fall for memes... embarrassing.

U.2 is pretty awesome, it's basically PCIe on a cable, you can use much more than just storage devices with them.

Attached: 58c9563fee15b7.70764312.jpg (700x530, 147K)

how big would be the install size of an 8k game? the biggest games i have are 40-60gigs, would 8k mean roughly double this?

lmao, do you like waiting for shit? Just get a 1TB NVME and a few cheap SSDs.

Nope. The 8k OP refers to is resolution, you can run games sub-100MB at 8k if you want.
If we talk texture sizes of 8k, it's barely any bigger, we already have games with 4k texture packs. Expect maybe 20GB over a shitty game using 1x1k textures.

Attached: 1556451307306.gif (128x128, 15K)

How much of a game is actually textures? in my mind, i have it pictured sorta like:
10GB game code + 30 GB textures + 10 GB cutscenes + 10 GB music = 60 GB game
is it actually like this?

Depends on the game. You can check yourself if you can decode the file containers or the game doesn't use any.
I'm sure there are games that fit your estimates too.

>not waiting for this bad mofo
what are you, a retard?

Attached: 128tb-sd-card.gif (537x700, 27K)

SDUC not in our lifetimes

>even media on it for local use.
lierally no difference for this retard.

They're probably sitting on the next ten years of releases and don't think its likely that there will be any new technological innovations in the next ten years, so instead of releasing the best thing once and having everyone buy it once, just release slightly better models every year that way people keep buying better hard-drives every year. They could sell ten times the units that way.

I use Fuzedrive it works pretty good.
512gb 970 Evo as boot drive, all heavily used applications and scrap disk.
512gb Cheap Adata tlc SSD as a drive for games that I just always want on SSD, online shit like Siege, and FH4. Then an Adata 256gb 3D MLC drive accelerating a 6tb WD Black as my bulk games storage. and honestly since I only play a game or two at at time I basically have the whole game loading from the SSD after a little bit.

You got to remember that games come with several texture packs nowadays for different quality settings for PC.

Also a huge chunk of a game is actually uncompressed audio. Titanfall for PC required 48 GB [to install], but 35 GB of that was just the game’s audio files.

>Western Digital Ultrastar
I'll never adjust to that, it just sounds wrong

>Just get a 1TB NVME and a few cheap SSDs.
You don't understand the extent of my data hoarding...

>buying AAA or "nExT gEn" games
I found your problem.
>4TB is nothing at this point
Are you clinically brain dead or do you simply have no fucking clue what you are talking about?

>Next gen games are supposed to be 8k
no they arent. nobody is going to be playing anything but tetris in 8k. what are you a fucking tard? 4k isnt even supported by all games and they try top sell people on dynamic resolution which simply means that shit down samples when there are more than 2 characters on screen

the average human cant even tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at the suggested viewing distance. its needless wasting of processing power to do 4k AND internet prices will go up if you switch to 8k. they will target the video game industry because of streaming fags. its not that online games are bad the data packs are small regardless of resolution. the streams of tards bragging about killing newbs will tank the videogame industry . netflix wasnt to blame for throttling pre comcast legal battle and we had protection against that legally then. we do not now. they can do it deny doing it and charge every one 20 dollars more just to use their phones

he was baiting for (You)s and you fell for it