Android Car Stereo

>is it a good idea compared to a dumb car stereo or a regular double din GPS one?
>what is the best launcher with UI optimized for cars?
>same with music app, with USB thumb, CD and bluetooth slave with playback control support
>what car stereo does Jow Forums have?

Attached: e6_5_6.jpg (1200x1200, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_disc
androidautoshop.com/volkswagen/161-1290-volkswagen-polo-9-touch-screen-android-80-4gb-32gb-entertainment-system.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why would you want botnet in your car?

because any other GPS won't allow me to install other FOSS applications anyway.
And if LineageOS or AOSP is available for the device, it's a win.
My main worry is how well does it handle the power cycles of a car?

I would say the biggest hassle would be the 20-30+ second boot time of the undoubtedly bullshit hardware every single time you power cycle the car. Unless its always powered and just turns the screen on and off with the car which would be nice, but then you run into the possibility of it killing the battery if left undriven for a long while or at least lowering it's lifespan because it's constantly pulling 3-5 watts minimum for the 20ish hours you're not driving your car a day.

Biggest issue with those is that bluetooth stack is crippled and you can't use bluetooth tethering with phone.

DEH-X6800BT

It's simple and I love it. My friend has a similar model and he feels the same.

>CD receiver

No one uses CDs anymore grandpa. Just get mechless unit.

I do. I have like 200 CD and I bought two more this week.

>I know what you use in your car better than you do

How well does something like a raspberry pi handle moisture and temperature changes? I would like to do something like a raspberry radio for my car but it can get pretty cold where I live.

You two are so full of shit.

You're right, NOBODY uses CDs anymore. Not a single person. Who knows why they and CD players are still in stores, corporations must just like the way they look on the shelves or something.

Normal, sane person does not need CD drive in car in year 2019.

You can spew all the bullshit arguments you want but the bottom line is that CDs are still used in cars.

A few weeks ago I took out my shitty double din car radio and put back in the OEM one. I found an adapter that goes into the CD changer slot of my car that connects to my phone via bluetooth. That means I can playback music and have phonecalls with the car radio.
The best part: The steering wheel remote buttons, which were previously dead, work again. I can skip to the next or previous song and pick up the phone.
If I could give you any recommendation: Get one that supports Android Auto. Just do all the shit from your phone. That way your stereo doesn't need to be as powerful.
Android Auto is a grea UI optimised for cars

Attached: 1556494422721.png (1073x977, 29K)

Those are called digital CD changers.

Paid ~$60 for mine from china, great stuff.

Yeah so far I only ever knew them with support for USB sticks or SD cards. The fact that I can actually control my phone from the radio buttons blew my mind. I always hated touching my phone whilst driving. That's why I never considered an AUX cable as a viable option.

>The steering wheel remote buttons, which were previously dead, work again.
usually you just have to buy an adaptator to make the weel buttons work on the third-party radio, but idk why nobody do that

I actually bought one, but it didn't work so I returned it.
To make things clear: I drive a Skoda Superb 1. That car was barely sold at all but is pretty much the same as a VW Passat from the same time. Unfortunately, Skoda built their own stereos with different steering remote control. There is no support at all for this model, and as mentioned: The one adapter that promised to work did fuck all.

I played a CD in my car about a week ago.

This. Even with an internal battery it doesn't seem like they'd be all that useful in practice.
CD's are just like tapes. They still work fine and are great for people who don't have ADHD. You should be listening to whole albums anyway and not some complilation bullshit.

by boomers and tech illiterate retards exclusively who enjoy tracks skipping every 5 seconds

>who enjoy tracks skipping every 5 seconds
Might want to get the suspension in your car fixed or at least see a dermatologist for your heavy grit sandpaper skin.

it's not the suspension, it's these piece of shit busted up roads

I can't tell you the last time I've had a CD skip and I frequently listen to them in the car. Shit my mom used to use a Discman with a cassette adapter and even that was magnitudes better than what you describe

my experiences with optical media have been less than ideal

>you're holding it wrong

WHy would you get a box that runs full android. WHen you can just get something with carplay or whatever it is called?

This is a tech board. There is a better option that exists. For cheaper at this point. The argument was about retards do en masse.

Don't get me wrong, half the reason I'm getting an Android head unit is to complement my DAP, but I'm certainly avoiding any that lack a CD player. It's too basic of a feature to not have, and one that I still use frequently.

>This is a tech board. There is a better option that exists. For cheaper at this point.
Y'know people said the same thing about dedicated hardware media players. Now you retards spend their day to day complaining about battery life and phone hardware.

The use of the word "better" is highly subjective. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you can still get the tunes in your car the second you turn the key or even delivered through a cable then that's good. Whatever works for you.

user, I strongly recommend you google this software called "EAC" it is a revolutionary brand new software that will let you take music from a compact disc, and import it losslessly to your personal computer.

Bruh the bluetooth has skipped more than the CD player (which hasn't, ever). Might want to get your car looked at.

>hey user can we play the mix CD from my car
>sure let me just grab my laptop, rip it, and transfer it to my DAP

>The use of the word "better" is highly subjective.
No, it is not. Compact discs have a total capacity of 700mb. Can only be written to once (unless you get some really fucked up rewritable disc) are actually somewhat slow to load, and are prone to physical damage. In comparison flash storage can have a capacity over 1tb, can be rewritten hundreds of time, is much more durable etc. If you want to go on living a life without a cellular phone cause "enjoying that would be subjective" then what you should be looking for is an SD card slot, internal storage, or the ability to make and manage playlists internally. But honestly anything that lets you sort by folder is fine.

>he doesn't listen to the CD he bought at the concert on the road to home

>tfw you have an old laptop mounted police cruiser style to your dash just so you can rip MP3's from people you share your car with
Who am I kidding, no-one shares the car with you apart from hookers. Your elitist attitude has robbed you of friendship and even your parents have long since disowned you.

>hey user can we play the mix CD from my car
Said literally no one in the last 10 years.
It would be
>can we play my playlist
>sure here is the bluetooth/Aux/USB
If it is your personal library, then yes you should have put it on your phone, or DAP if you have autism, within the last 10 years.

once i drove with someone who had that.
was radio -> Aux -> laptop
Almost killed us while changing the track

>so you can rip MP3's from people you share your car with
They all have phones, they do not carry binders of CDs with them around. None of them even own walkmans anymore. the fuck are you driving people to and from. The geriatrics ward? make sure you get a cassette tape reader as well. Would hate for you to pick up someone who doesn't have a phone, but is carrying a mixtape for you to play in the car.
>not downloading it to listen to on the way to the concert as well
>driving to a concert so you cant have more than like 2 beers.
>not having spotify
Your life must suck user.

>Said literally no one in the last 10 years
Actually just happened a few months ago
>If it is your personal library, then yes you should have put it on your phone, or DAP if you have autism, within the last 10 years.
My personal library is quite large, I can't have everything on my DAP

I ripped to my phone before driving via USB CD reader that is in the glove.

>tfw rolling around with hundreds of songs in your 6-disc DVD changer

Just get a cheap standard stereo with bluetooth capability ($20).

Then add tablet of your choice on top of your car either with magnetic/sticky metal combo or velcro like attachment or whatever. Then connect bluetooth to car stereo. You can power the tablet with usb from the car.

Yet it's still more comfy to swap CD than bringing your USB drive at home to fill with new music.
>Spotify
Now THAT'S a cuck

For the price of the tablet + head unit you could get an actual one without the shoddy look

>Yet it's still more comfy to swap CD than bringing your USB drive at home to fill with new music.
IDK it is just more comfy to heavily inconvenience myself.
>Now THAT'S a cuck
I personally would just torrent the album, have it autosync to my phone over wifi, or stream it from my plex server. But you seem to be incredibly retarded, so for $8 a month, you can avoid having to do retarded shit like play CDs or tapes or whatever.

>Yet it's still more comfy to swap CD
Not only that but it's a quick thing to do if you know your library. You just jam the disc in the drive and hit the play button.
No talking to your digital personal assistant, no scrolling through 500+ artists and discographies to get to one track you want.

Tapes and CD's have that huge advantage that can't really go. They're plug and play and it's real simple to find what you want so long as you're not an autist with a jumbo CD binder.

Funnily enough, if you did that at a red light, you would probably get a distracted driving ticket. But I can literally just go "hey google, play *literally anything in the world*" in the middle of the highway infront of cops and nothing would happen.

>Connecting to cell towers

>But you seem to be incredibly retarded
The ironing.

Digging through your binder of disks VS just asking your phone to do something while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel?

>Hey google, play "Starless & Bible Black by King Crimson
How does that work out if you have 80+ copies of the song in library and 4+ albums? Just curious.

I am not the one still using compact discs, because objectively inferrior technology is "comfortable." Vinyl has the advantage of being collectable and producing high quality audio, even of some older albums where high quality digital mixes exist.
8-track, regular cassettes, and CDs are objectively inferior to any modern equivalent.

>having a binder of discs when you already have a few albums on heavy rotation
???
user, pls. Just don't have ADHD.

I do torrent flac album and have a music streaming server at home, but I still love CD and buy them regularly. There is nothing wrong with CD.

That same disk since highschool eh?

There is no modern equivalent to CD's user. That's the last piece of portable physical media out there that was popular.

>How does that work out if you have 80+ copies of the song in library and 4+ albums? Just curious.
I have some duplicates and it seems to work fine, but which version it plays can be a crapshoot. It can do something annoying though where if I say play X album, and I have 3 versions, it will play the first track three times, than the second track 3 times etc. OFC if you are carrying 4 CDs of the same album in your car you are actually mentally ill so it really isnt a fair comparison.

Nothing right with them either.

Attached: scratched-cd.jpg (1356x1341, 353K)

>disk
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Vinyl is still popular.
Buying CDs is fine. But then you just import them to your library and keep it on a shelf. You dont carry them around in binders in your car. You dont burn your own mix CDs to play in peoples cars.

>I have some duplicates and it seems to work fine, but which version it plays can be a crapshoot.
Seems like you'd have to rename any overlapping tracks with album/year etc just to avoid it.
>if you are carrying 4CD's of the same album in your car you are actually mentally ill
It's more of a problem with live albums and bootlegs more than anything :^)

The fuck you smoking?

Attached: Screenshot_20190501-175610_Chrome.jpg (1079x650, 108K)

Attached: Screenshot_20190501-175739_Chrome.jpg (1076x1217, 211K)

I don't use my CD as food plate

Look at your image you posted, then look back at the post the reply was to.
Then remember usage of disc vs disk.

>Seems like you'd have to rename any overlapping tracks with album/year etc just to avoid it.
you can do that, and it works but it is annoying.
>It's more of a problem with live albums and bootlegs more than anything
I wasn't judging just saying you wouldn't do that with CDs. But it isn't much of a problem if the albums are different. Even if you want a particular version you can just specify the name of the live album or the studio album for example.
The issue is just if you have the same song, with all identical metadata.

Disc = optical media
Disk = magnetic media
Ask me how I know you're a retarded teenager

I post both you moron.

Attached: Screenshot_20190501-180224_Chrome.jpg (1059x737, 194K)

No fucking flying fuck
Disk is the American word
Disc is the British word
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_disc

You still haven't parsed the post yet and you still replied. The fuck you smoking?

God English must be hard for you.

Based. More importantly is that "disk" has been out of use for so long that literally only Americans & ESL's use it. Even when you look at "disk" it's still been exclusively used for magnetic media and fucking "RAM disk" which only has that name due to disk being named the way it is.

Worse is that this is a tech board where no-one should still be that retarded. The /v/ overflow is real.

What is the cheapest android auto (preferably wireless) single DIN device?

"hard disc" just seems wrong, I firmly believe in the c for optical and k for magnetic convention

>"hard disc" just seems wrong
It is wrong.
You need to peel apart the autism and be able to accept that it's "hard disk" and "compact disk". You don't go all in and act fully retarded like that or next you're calling olympic events "diskus" just to appear correct on the internet.

Attached: 1555193427352.png (403x281, 154K)

"compact disk" seems just as wrong. K for magnetic, c for optical.

Well your lucky because only complete retards like the posters in this thread use "disk" when referring to a CD.

OP here, back to the car radio topic
I think I'll just get the cheapest one on Craigslist (provided by Jamal) that can do CD+Bluetooth+USB.

Yes it's "hard disk", no it's " compact disc"
And no this is still not what it does mean, they are the same word with a spelling difference

Attached: oktoberfest.jpg (610x403, 44K)

>floppy disc
>blu-ray disk
>zip disc
>laserdisk

C'mon mate, get the Pioneer. It's only 100 USD

>no it's " compact disc"
Believe it or not, that was entirely a typo because I've been forcing myself to type disk so often. Thanks for pointing it out.

Is this post bait?

>only 100 USD
I might be able to buy CD regularly, but actually I'm poor and jobless and won't spend this much on my car radio.

it's δίσkος in greek. greek doesn't even have a letter C

I'd be wary of having some chinkland lipo/lion pack sitting under the dash of my 120+° car in the summer

androidautoshop.com/volkswagen/161-1290-volkswagen-polo-9-touch-screen-android-80-4gb-32gb-entertainment-system.html

Just got this. Love it. Fast and I can Shit post while driving since I have a wireless 4g stick.

or don't be fucking retarded and buy a 10$ phone holder

Attached: product-image-632963720_1024x1024.jpg (1000x1000, 97K)

I'm buying an Android head unit to replace that.

why? your phone can do everything and better than a shitty android car radio

The shitty Android car radio has buttons and knobs, a larger screen for when I use GPS, and will look much better properly mounted in my dash than some suction cup mount for a cellphone

Why not use a phone or tablet with an external dac, then run all the normal stereo equipment (amp/speakers/etc). You could incorporate an external battery pack, so the tablet never powers down, only the dac and amp.

do you really need GPS? I've been driving for 31 years now, to date I've never once used a GPS.

Please take a moment to reflect on how dumb your post was, so that next time you don't do the same.

This is the best route.

Went out to the car to get one of my CD wallets. This one is the larger of the two that I keep in the ride. I'm always listening to CD's.

Attached: 20190501_184639.jpg (3264x2448, 1.32M)

a normal, sane person can exist without being tied to a phone or similar device. I have no use for an android or ios "entertainment system" in my ride.

Attached: 1432246322589.jpg (234x197, 6K)

Based. Could you post a picture from the 2nd May 2019 though and not one from the 5th January?

how dumb of a distracted sperg monkey do you have to be to require a gps, and even worse one that you can install FOSS apps on?

Attached: 1432246019787.gif (200x113, 682K)