Oh no no no no! CS is NOT a meme

reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwbfw/professor_gave_us_a_dire_warning_that_cs_is_going/

reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/biwbfw/professor_gave_us_a_dire_warning_that_cs_is_going/

Attached: csmeme.png (891x774, 147K)

>reddit

What the fuck is this ridiculous rambling garbage. Am I supposed to believe this?

Literally everything will become automated, outsourced or have ridiculous competition unless you go for the muh trade meme. Just the way it is. Even engineers eventually will be outsourced or automated. If you don't want automation risk join an apprenticeship and enjoy backbreaking blue collar work. Did I mention I love jews! Jews rock!

Attached: 1556138975128.jpg (1600x1036, 872K)

>boomer trying to discourage students
>probably did the same to his junior coworkers
lmao

>Storing passwords in plaintext
L E L
LOVING
EVERY
LAUGH

facebook youtube etc has been trying for a decade to automate content analysis almost unsuccessfully and resorting to brute force and absurdity

this will be the state of affair for decades to come

human staff always doing the intelligent stuff

just think about it: there are no automated freight trains today
and tomorrow surely we will have automated vehicles

fucking sure
relax
and what a fucking boomer

it's an honest mistake tho, they provably had some pajeets set up logging for all API endpoints, which incidentally included authentication

Literally the only thing I "agree" with him is how many people are getting into CS. Computer Science isn't for everyone and it's mostly theoretical based. Even if you're heavily interested in tech, it requires a specific kind of mindset.

It's the reason why a significant amount of fuckups with a CS degree end not getting employed or being underemployed. They fell for the money or end up realizing that it's different.

Attached: 1499455331590.jpg (268x284, 17K)

Trust me, there is a huge vacuum of talent in tech. You need 130 IQ to be a good software developer, and also be autistic with computers. That's a pretty small section of the population.

>You need 130 IQ to be a good software developer
False
You just need to read CS books, and to the average code monkey, these two things are indistinguishable

I wasn't talking about HTML CSS and react. There's a difference between building scalable code that works across multiple regions and serves n customers.

It's like how there are high powered lawyers, and there are paralegals who do all the bitch work. It's the same with software development, there are the architects who design the solution, then there are good engineers who are tasked with building the core business logic, and then there are design chicks and checked front end jeets who don't know how to write a unit test.

Attached: gandalf.jpg (358x326, 25K)

Sounds like a professor just trying to scare the students into studying harder.

There's a difference between building systems code that works across multiple regions vs making a button fade when hovered over*

long day

Different guy, but there's nothing wrong with accepting that you're not a big brain to do stuff like machine learning or understanding complex algorithms. Sure, I can go ahead and dedicate myself to learning them and probably passing them. But in the real world and applying myself? No.

Reason why I'm doing web development. I want to focus on the area where I'm the strongest.

Attached: 1235325954279.jpg (466x537, 36K)

Reminds me of a part from Mythical Man-Month where it talks about how the best way to create programs and systems.
You have a class of nobles, and a class of plebeians.
The nobles have absolute rule over the design, and the plebeians are basically code monkey serfs typing away, implementing the noble people's designs.

This is true, but the people doing this are no longer coders and are the architects behind it. Let the monkeys play in the zoo

oh nonono
sounds like that professor is gonna get professionally suicided soon

/thread

My first company of 200 employees did this and refused to change because "customer service wants to read people their passwords over the phone".

Actually, if you look at any good system out there, it's only good because there's a benevolent dictator. The best example is Linux, with Linus's (pbuh) extreme rule.

There's more levels to it though. For example, the architect on my team designs the high level interfaces and messages - while leaving the implementation up to me. Meanwhile, I enforce 100% test coverage on the components I'm responsible for while giving strict reviews for the juniors I mentor.

It's easy to forget how much effort it takes to get to the higher levels. The archetype of the lawyer who works 12 hours a day exists for programmers as well. The good, passionate and young engineers I know will consume system design books, read papers, and even go as far as trying to implement something like paxos. It's definitely not for everyone and that is precisely why I am not worried.

Attached: thinking.png (1080x1080, 1.42M)

Facebook is older than the mass influx of Pajeets in tech. It's more likely Mark and his memer friends from Harvard who thought they were the shit but couldn't make a proper auth system and left it to Rajnesh and Xiu Leng 10 years later. Can't wait for the day the whole of Asia gets its long-overdue napalm strike.

>proper auth system
you have no fucking idea how difficult it is - but it is in fact a largely solved problem

>It's definitely not for everyone and that is precisely why I am not worried.
Exactly and it even applies to smart people as well. It really boils down to your kind of mindset because some perform better at a theoretical point of view.

It's really about passion and knowing what you want to do which is why I'm wanting to be a webdev. The people that are chasing after CS are usually only for the moneys or just because it's hot in the job market. I can guarantee you that the majority of those people have little to no interaction with tech like checking out what's new in technology or just even shitting out on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1376201484956.jpg (500x500, 46K)

At 16, I already knew enough about it to know plaintext was retarded. Harvard students have zero excuse.

>incoming economic recession
Anyone who isn't a boomer retard or a complete brainlet has seen this coming for a while - after all, the economy never truly recovered from the 2008 crash. We're running on borrowed time here.

This only affects retards who want a code monkey job after 3 years of Uni
fpbp as usual

A professor that thinks DL is effectively glorified conditional if statements? And at the same time there is incompetence in the industry?

I bet this professor uses apple products and can barely use a web browser but has in depth academic knowledge of math.

There will always be a need for code monkeys, and they will be paid appropriately. And there will always need to be architects and managers, they will also be paid appropriately.

>reddit
>predicting the future
>a college professor no less giving out fortunes
>a professor who doesn't earn 150k a year at google
>quotes literal shit talking bullshitting with the bros conversations
>"diversity hires are the problem"
>reddit HOLY SHIT GUYS SOME SHITS ABOUT TO GO DOWN AND JESUS IS COMING AND EVERYTHING tier post

professors make like 120K doing literally nothing other than say the same shit every semester and have TA's (slaves) grade all their shit
pretty good gig

Did you even read the post?

>no automated freight trains
only because of unions

it's true, our industry is fucking disgusting with no standards. 90% of programmers should not be working on anything remotely critical for any organisation.
Just had another IT "glitch" delaying all flights in australia. See the shit that happened in heathrow not too long ago. Australia census fuck up etc etc etc. Pajeets (and their intellectual peers) are now building critical infrastructure for western countries. shit will hit the fan eventually.

White men near retirement handhold coloreds and women for them to get anything useful done whatsoever. Once the old White men are gone, the few young White men who managed to get hired will buckle or revolt under the pressure to replace the far more numerous retirees who never had their time freed up to pass on their intimate knowledge of the systems they developed. Our world will get interesting very soon.

Prof is redpilled as fuck. I live in Canada in a town that's imported thousands of pajeets, I sometimes deliver pizza to the classrooms and see like 50 pajeets and 2 white people.

Ask any pajeet on the street what their major is and you get "CS" or "Business". Same CS Pajeets use iphones they barely know how to use and have NO INTEREST in tech at all, they are strictly doing it for money and status.

I worked in IT for 5 years. Pajeet got in the way every fucking time. I'd be forced to use his software and I'd end up learning the quirks of it better than him. He didn't make the software ofcourse, he's just front-facing support for the non-english speaking pajeets that fixed it. There was a problem with an updated library not being supported by their software and that was the snag of a problem, pajeet fucking ignores it (because what could I possibly know? I didn't make it) refused to give me the old library and insisted on reinstalling the whole system etc, so waste like 3-4 hours just to get the exact same problem, then the employer themselves initially refuse to pay for 3-4hrs of work because it didn't fix anything. Ended up just taking the library from another system and making it read-only to fix the problem. Fucking INFURIATING, and it happened almost every fucking time. Pajeet in the way.

and here is why we have problems.

In my graduating class I had a fellow student argue with me vehemently a day before graduation that Unix and Linux were the same thing and that I didn't know Linux was just the kernel for Unix.
This came up in his discussion of his Unix administration course that he passed miraculously...

Manufacturing?
I can not envisage a situation where a manufacturing plant will not have onsite engineers, the downtime risk is just too high.

There are a number of points to clarify for the next point to make sense.

Rather than produce the maximum number of items, supply or production will be limited to artificially increase the sales premium.

Automation has increased productivity.

So, as productivity has increased due to automation companies can now produce more products.
This leads to the dilemma of producing to much.
This has led to the reduction in the number of lines producing said products.
As there is less duplication there is a reduced number of machines on that production line.
So downtime becomes a huge issue.
There is now a larger problem of "one off pieces of equipment that companies cannot do without, which leads to engineers being on site.

I guess you weren't smart enough to suggest that they be able to generate new, temporary passwords to tell them over the phone instead of being able to read their forgotten passwords.

Nuke this earth already

(Same user)
I had a coworker tell me his idea to clean up the codebase by getting rid of inherited classes and just having the base class. When a base class instance needed to have different functionality (all the time) we would tag it and every function would have a switch statement that would direct program flow.

>reddit

I'm so glad I'm /bigbrain/ enough for medicine.

OH NO NO NO NO NO

Attached: 1534391452766.webm (990x720, 2.45M)

I hope it's real. This industry need a purge.

Attached: 1505026980128.jpg (420x410, 17K)