/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: corps_vs_hairy_boi.png (700x428, 269K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr
youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/security
ftp.example.com/k.asc
idontplaydarts.com/2016/04/detecting-curl-pipe-bash-server-side/
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
github.com/koalaman/shellcheck
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>ubuntu sets installer user as a privilegied user
How do i change it?
I want to use user with absolutely no privilegies so that if someone invade me they wont have any privilegies.

talk to me about loonix gaming. what gpu manufacturers have the best driver support? how good is wine (or whatever compat layer these days) for modern games? is there a significant difference with other hardware parts? what's the best way to run VM graphics passthrough, is it even really necessary?

I'd like to NOT dual-boot a hacky win7 install and definitely want to avoid win10 cancer. building from the ground up, how to make the best GNU-linux gamemachine?

what would happen to gnu if apple bought linus?

Asking again:
How to change the default dpi on Manjaro KDE to something that isnt for ants?
Thanks.

install gentoo

>linux feels more responsive than windows on a fucking VM with mere 3GB of ram
What the fuck is wrong with windows?
I just came to ubuntu to learn and get my linux certification but holy FUCK

most distros would fork their own kernel
gnu has contingency plans including their own kernel (look it up) supported by debian

based and cringepilled

You do realize that the user has no extra privileges that can be done at will, right?
What is mean by "privileged user" is entirely handled by sudo. Sudo is a command that allows certain normal users to temporarily escalate their privileges but only after re-entering their password when they want to do something.

So if someone did gain access to your machine it'd still be as if you're an unprivileged user unless they know your password.

However, if you do still want to remove it then just look up how to remove a users sudo rights (or just uninstall sudo).

Yeah but i am saying if they get acess to my user couldnt they acess the file with the password?
Anyway, there is also the possibility of a hacker getting my password, if i make so that it has literally no way to act with privilegies unless su root it will make it harder for them to fuck my shit up.

Redpill me on IRC, what is the best IRC client on linux?

>what is the best IRC client on linux?
sic

thunderbird or pidgeon

emacs erc if you like cli

Settings > Hardware > Display and Monitor > Scale display

try using only wm

Is there any point in setting up apparmour on a single user desktop?
It seems like its alot of setup for little reward

I tried it a few years ago and even the default profiles were absolute shit

Someone in a previous thread said I could achieve my gayming set up on a lilbre disto, even on a laptop with a NVIDIA card. Is worth considering? Otherwise I'll install Void to have something like Arch without braking ones a mouth.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr

Attached: __komeiji_satori_touhou_drawn_by_sho_shima__888355e77f62b8092bb3508e954f17b4.jpg (1049x1200, 754K)

>couldnt they acess the file with the password?
I don't know what you mean, the file storing your user password is the same one storing the root password and it's encrypted or something (i don't really know) but it's not like it's just sitting in your home directory in plaintext.

If they can actually crack your users password then they could crack the root password too.
>there is also the possibility of a hacker getting my password
the only way that would happen is if they cracked it (again, same as cracking the root password anyway) or if you get scammed into giving it to them somehow, or you have a keylogger on your machine.

I think most exploits actually involve escalating the attackers privileges by somehow bypassing the password entirely in which case it makes no difference.

Matrix bridge

>I could achieve my gayming set up on a lilbre disto, even on a laptop with a NVIDIA card.
In terms of software, yes that's possible since the nouveau drivers are fully free software. Your games would have to be completely free software though or there's not much of a point in it.
>Is worth considering?
If you only play free games then yes but your system stops being fully free the moment you install and run a proprietary game on it.
If you have a newer gpu the nouveau drivers will also not work as well as the proprietary ones.
>Otherwise I'll install Void to have something like Arch without braking ones a mouth.
Despite the memes, Arch doesn't actually do that.

Scaling this way usually makes some things fucky for me, dunno why. (aliasing, weird artifacts showing up, etc)
Also webpages are still small as fuck.
Don't see any option regarding dpi

Does irc doesnt work on VMs or something?
I cant connect to the server

It definitely does work in vm's

Why does nobody use groff? it seems like a much more extensible version of latex

Is the 0x00sec irc down then?
I am trying to connect to it since i am studying security but i cant connect.

i'm having a lot of screen tearing with my nvidia gpu, i've tried bouth nouveau and proprietary drivers, does amd have this problem?

Create a non admin account and use that instead. Otherwise, you can remove yourself from the sudoers file, but set a pass for root first or you'll be sorry.

>Your games would have to be completely free software though or there's not much of a point in it.
I tryd to explain that in the old thread. I have Steam installed writh Flatpak.

>If you have a newer gpu the nouveau drivers will also not work as well as the proprietary ones.
Just looked at some benchmarks and now im not sure a NVIDIA laptop would be worth the money. It's more of a "nice-to-have" for me then something I need.

>Despite the memes, Arch doesn't actually do that.
I have always had something break on Arch after a mouth or two. Im tied of it.

xrandr --dpi 144
^This makes moust things on my GPD Pocket 2 a reasonable size

Which distro and which DE? Xfce is notorious for screen tearing.

Never heard of it

So I just installed Archlab with i3wm.
Good shit so far.

gentoo openbox, i've had the screentearing on every distrothough , even when i use the full composition pipeline setting in nviida-settings, using a 750ti and i get it when watching videos/scrolling

>xrandr --dpi 144
Almost there.
GTK apps (ffox, tbird) are still tiny and is there a way to make it persistent?
thanks again.

Dont listen to any of these faggots. Weechat is where it's at user.

What is so special about it? Besides the special needs person installing it I mean.

>he has a webcam

Anybody start into this at 25+? How do late bloomers not want to kill themselves out of shame continually? Asking for a friend haha.

what does that even mean

if you want to run linux just run linux what's the issue

Proud to say I started in my early teens, and was using Gentoo before it was ever a meme.
Autism is a hell of a drug

I'm using Linux Live to create a Ubuntu 15.04 installation on a 32 GB flash drive. There's an option in Linux Live to allocate space for "persistent mode", which to my understanding is space that will not be erased/reset after shutting down. This maxes out at 4090 MB. I'm doing this bootable USB install so I can retrieve files from old hard drives and I would like to use the entire 32 GB (minus the Ubuntu install) for this. I tried this earlier, as directed by someone on /sqt/, but the files I copied over onto the USB from the old HDD were nowhere to be found after shutting down. Is there a way I can utilize the full 32 GB? If not, where is a safe folder to store data to in the "Persistent Mode" of Ubuntu?

Attached: Dr Gondola.jpg (1920x1080, 784K)

I more so meant in the professional sense. I've gotten a lot of pressure that I'm too old to start p. much anything for the past couple of years so I always feel incredibly insecure whenever I start something and typically wind up giving up in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I installed arch what do I do now

Is it possible to watch videos on VLC inside a ubuntu in a VM or does it get too slow?

play csgo

most people in IT and programming are dumb as a rock, and a large portion of them have little to no experience outside windows

just learning the basics puts you ahead of many of them.

just install a desktop distro, learn to use it to accomplish daily tasks. do it in a VM if you're a pussy. then move on to installing and setting up something like a webserver with a simple webpage. Write some shell scripts to automate things. Set up a different service on your network. etc.

The only way to "learn linux" is to do a bunch of different things with it to understand how to interact with the system, what the different components are, and how all the parts of the system interact

The only way to "learn to program" is to write code to do things you want to do.

use mpv you absolute fucking goof

yes but what the fuck

Guys, I fucked it up.

I edited my grub.d/40_custom to a windows mount. Now why I did this I managed to fix otherwise, but now everytime I wanna boot linux (fedora) it runs into emergency mode with the journal pointing to "winhd" couldn't be mounted. Now I tried to fix that by using a recovery, editing out that extra mount part in 40_custom, but for some reason it keeps throwing that same error "winhd" couldn't be mounted even though the command doesn't exist anymore. Any tips what to do? Unfortunately I don't have another drive around to just install fresh and copy the files..

Attached: Sad_Foxie.png (241x266, 104K)

Bluetooth on my debian system randomly stop working, even after reboot. The service is up and running but it won't work. bluetoothctl says no controller avalible.

May 02 09:54:46 hox systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
May 02 09:54:46 hox bluetoothd[4206]: Bluetooth daemon 5.50
May 02 09:54:46 hox systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
May 02 09:54:46 hox bluetoothd[4206]: Starting SDP server
May 02 09:54:46 hox bluetoothd[4206]: Bluetooth management interface 1.14 initialized
hox@hox:~$ sudo journalctl -b | grep Bluetooth
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
May 02 09:54:46 hox systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
May 02 09:54:46 hox bluetoothd[4206]: Bluetooth daemon 5.50
May 02 09:54:46 hox systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
May 02 09:54:46 hox systemd[1]: Reached target Bluetooth.
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
May 02 09:54:46 hox kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
May 02 09:54:46 hox bluetoothd[4206]: Bluetooth management interface 1.14 initialized
May 02 09:54:48 hox kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: command 0xfc05 tx timeout
May 02 09:54:48 hox kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Reading Intel version information failed (-110)
May 02 09:56:27 hox systemd[6389]: Starting Bluetooth OBEX service...
May 02 09:56:27 hox systemd[6389]: Started Bluetooth OBEX service.
May 02 09:57:49 hox kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: command 0xfc05 tx timeout
May 02 09:57:49 hox kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Reading Intel version information failed (-110)

boot into a live usb, and either mount the disk and fix your grub installation, or reinstall grub

>emergency mode
>couldn't be mounted
Are you talking about the systemd emergency mode? Because if you got that far, you got pretty far into booting correctly. It could actually be a problem in your /etc/fstab due to the kernel drive names (e.g. /dev/sda) changing.

How would I fix grub? If I just grep for "winhd" I get zero results..

could be what said

alternatively, you'd fix grub by undoing whatever apparently dumb shit you did to break it in the first place

I do, what I meant by not booting is the red part of the systemctlyournal.

post grub.d/40_custom and post /etc/fstab

if you can't mount the partition from whatever environment you're in, again the simplest way is probably to boot up a live environment and mount the disk.

That's what I already did. I edited /etc/grub.d/40_customs back to what it was and I didn't touch anything on top of that. That's why I'm confused that the "error" keeps happining..

it'd help if you posted the actual error message or initramfs kernel options

im on Ubuntu 18.04 lts
is it worth formatting to Ubuntu 19.04?

guess here is the place to ask, what the hell is up with ubuntu deciding to drop gksu?

im using 19.04 seems fine

Thanks for the leads, guys.
In the end it turned out it got still stucked in the fstab, but I was too dumb to edit it properly.

Attached: 1550704754240.jpg (618x741, 75K)

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/security

bunch of fun stuff, i recommend trying to go cli only. its an adventure in itself, like setting up gdm so you get a mouse cursor in tty if you wanted that, and then install elinks and have a nice comfy but novel browsing experience

Red pill me on Mint
Is it the best first Distro? Is there a better one?

desu this one is waay better

Attached: 1531899776095.jpg (618x741, 280K)

Use a small USB stick as your install medium and do a regular full install of Ubuntu to the 32GB.

It just werks. But I think Manjaro nowaday is as easy as mint ( or ubuntu) and it has more up-to-date packages.

there is no best distro

tfw use a comfy netbook and microsd support is broke, worked on at least kernel 4.4 from my testing
feels bad

Trying to compile ffmpeg with x264 support but this error persists:
>ERROR: libx264 not found
But libx264 already installed.

is there anyway in the kde file picker to right click and open into an image viewer while in say firefox selection window for Jow Forums? Instead of posting i can right click then select open in image viewer

How do I configure ALSA to detect an external microphone plugged in to a TRRS (4 divisions) jack?
I've tried hdajack retask to no avail.
I have a CS4206 sound card and I'm running Manjaro with ALSA and pulseaudio.

Is there any way on Arch around file transfers to USB 3 thumb drives slowing the hell down after about a minute?

cum into the usb 3 port itll speed it up

I'll give er a go

No dice m8

keep trying unplug and plug in a few times make sure it gets lots of cum all over the contacts

>Install Arch
>Try Sway for WM
>Nvidia users
All proprietary graphics drivers are unsupported. This includes the Nvidia proprietary driver. The open source Nouveau driver is required instead. This is not going to change, don't ask. Tip: buy your hardware with open source support in mind.

I should order a tinfoil hat while I'm at it too

is learning bash worth it?

What does this script do?

curl ftp.example.com/k.asc | gpg --import

transfers k.asc? gpg is encryption

What could k.asc be? Transfer it to my computer? Could it be malicious?

As the person who wrote the majority of the wlroots code responsible for that very thing (it wasn't Drew), I can simply say that you're fucked. We will never support EGLStreams for a variety of reasons, both technical and non-technical

You should've bought AMD or Intel.

Attached: 1371246461454.jpg (400x400, 48K)

simply audit it curl ftp.example.com/k.asc

>All proprietary graphics drivers are unsupported. This includes the Nvidia proprietary driver. The open source Nouveau driver is required instead. This is not going to change, don't ask. Tip: buy your hardware with open source support in mind.
Was this legit from the program?

install libx264-dev

Sway is the wayland wm, wayland ONLY works with kernel modesetting which is only provided by the libre drivers.

>How do I configure ALSA
>I have a CS4206 sound card (...) with pulseaudio
Why aren't you use pulse to set the proper inp--
>I'm running Manjaro
nvm pic related

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

The nvidia driver actually does provide kernel modesetting, but the real issue is that they don't support GBM, which is needed to allocate buffers that'll work with kernel modesetting.
Their own solution to the issue is broken.

Best sources to learn bash?

seweet

I recently switched from w7 to Ubuntu and just wanted to say it's been an enjoyable experience. It's super fast at basically everything, and I don't need to put up with ads, my OS telling me I'm in the wrong timezone because I want to use 24 hour time, or my OS telling me when I'm restarting.

Install compton

does anyone here use BASC-Archiver to save threads/images? I'm running it but it only downloads a json and txt
me too, I'm really enjoying it.

Install Parabola.

Something evil you should never do.
First download the key. Then import it. Don't pipe a remote stream into your system.

idontplaydarts.com/2016/04/detecting-curl-pipe-bash-server-side/

Read this mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
And run this on your scripts github.com/koalaman/shellcheck