Hey Jow Forums my gf wants to get into programming

Hey Jow Forums my gf wants to get into programming.
What should she learn so that she doesn't go down the do-a-python-course-then-"what the fuck do I do now with this shit" path?

Attached: alan-turing.jpg (660x350, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
common-lisp.net/lisp-companies
letoverlambda.com/index.cl/guest/chap5.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy xir some programming socks.

Machine learning.

Forth

Attached: 1537772981732.png (1920x1080, 217K)

teach her unix. then the possibilities are endless.

Have her do web shit, that's really the only kind of stuff most self taught people can get into nowadays.

Don't, girls(female) should not be in those fields.

You mean webdev. Women cannot program, you're setting her and yourself up for failure.

So your "gf" wants to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

i'd start off with something like python (today's equivalent to BASIC in terms of ease of use) and then progress to c# or c++, depending what her interests in programming are.
> do a course
you don't even need to do that. unless she's completely illiterate, she could teach herself just using a search engine and plenty of manuals, books and tutorials online to get good.

Unix + bash then later C

Women can't code.

I was thinking about doing this...as a hobby

Start with Lisp and ignore the C/Unix weenies.
Save yourself from that brain damage unless you have to.

Attached: 1545690903987.png (540x675, 292K)

Make her learn kotlin it's so fuckin dank, coroutines are fucking nuts!

Not sure what they use to program dishwashers, but this seems like logical choice.

Attached: 0a053dae1d7f8fcff758f6ad7b2db316.jpg (600x422, 35K)

The only truly correct and helpful answer.

Not OP but I want to make some simple retail billing software and its database. Is it too hard for novice, considering I have zero programming experience?

Why font you ask. If she doesn't know would say automate the boring stuff with python then she should know if webshit, gsmeshit, or whatever shit. That's if she's even still interested since you're going to try and micromanage like a idiot. She's never getting anywhere if she doesn't develop a self motivated interest in programming.

>why font you ask
Maybe in the future she can fix auto correct so it its not so crap.

loling at all the tryhard retards itt actually recommending stuff like C/C++. have you actually tried teaching a normie girl coding? she'll give up within 5 minutes. this isn't a question of what's right, or how to give her the best practices, it's a question of giving her the easiest and most intuitive way of learning so she doesn't give up
have her youtube a python tutorial and start doing it, it's the only way

Tell her programming is a man's job and kick her ass back into the kitchen.

Bash is literaly .bat for lunix

Tell her to come up with a list of "what if I could...?" ideas and non-physical tasks she does daily/weekly that could be considered redundant.

Pick something from the list to automate/implement for a project. Even if an app/service that can do it already exists, who cares, make one yourself anyways.
People will make any excuse to give up on a project if they hit a single roadblock. To counteract that, break the project apart into small parts/milestones. Also promotes modularity, which is a critical to learn early on.

Example project:
I want to make a phone app that automatically sends SOS notifications to others if user doesn't toggle alarm in time. Good for making sure lonely granny is alive.

Project submodules/milestones:
1. Backend - Controller to read/write Json file that stores SOS schedule, contacts to notify, and other configs.
2. Front end to interact with controller through interactive lists (add, remove, edit)
3. Front end for viewing upcoming SOS alerts with an "I'm alive" button that deactivates next SOS alert.
4. Backend module that sends text messages to phone number contacts.
5. Backend module to send emails to email contacts.
6. Foreground process that continually checks for missed SOS alarms which triggers notifications.

Could be done in a million different ways, but it's a start.

Learn Her a Haskell for a Greater Good

>has gf
>posts picture of Alan "Gaiboi" Turing
Hmmm

Attached: 5f6ca007ed940c10286866ce60c27dd9.jpg (1667x2000, 394K)

Yes. Don't build anything that touches money until you are competent enough to not ask stupid questions like this on Jow Forums.

Tell her to start programming in Scratch

force to read SICP and learn LISP, because LISP is most powerful language in the world
then C and force to go through 'The C programming language'
then force her to learn AMD64 assembly (look up for something on gentoomen library)
if she fails this (she will) then she's fucking brainlet not worth your time and you should leave her
protip: if you won't, then you're fucking cuck!

is lisp a meme guys? I keep seeing it mentioned, but I've never heard of it's actual uses.

>start learning sound theory and principles
>then throw everything away and brain-damage yourself

shut the fuck up and learn some LISP
best book for it is: SICP

No, it's not a meme common-lisp.net/lisp-companies
The reason people think it's a meme is because it's unfortunately associated with AI winter, which negatively contributed to its popularity.
Not to mention that the vast majority of people are so brainwashed by Unix and C that they believe that such a high level language must be interpreted, when it usually isn't.

Damn, I think I'll learn it now, since I've never learnt functional programming.

I started reading SICP a couple of years ago and got sidetracked, never went back to it. It is really the best place to start for functional programming?

I have literally never seen a job where you develop anything in LISP.

This, unless you're really good at math (mostly discrete and linear algebra) simply knowing the various functions of a language isn't enough, knowing how to apply them to real problems is the hard part. Web development is much easier to get good at without formal education. It's the truth.

Python really is the best choice. Learned it when I was a kid, still using it 15 years later for real work.

I think SICP is a valid read no matter what, for anyone who is even remotely interested in computer programming, but
>functional programming
Be careful now: despite supporting functional techniques pretty well, the Lisps (and in particular Common Lisp) are not, at the core, purely functional languages: letoverlambda.com/index.cl/guest/chap5.html
Considering that it also supports OOP (via CLOS), Common Lisp is probably the most un-opinionated programming language in existence.
There is code out there that is almost purely functional, to code that looks almost like C. All of them can be valid choices, depending on the situation: the language enforces no particular style.
On the other hand, if you're interested in languages that are clearly oriented towards functional programming, take a look at the ML family or Haskell.

While SICP is definitely worth reading, but its goal is really learning general programming principles, not really learning Lisp. The language used there is but a means to an end, and in fact, some people made versions of SICP that use other languages.
If you just want to learn the language and get down to actually doing stuff relatively quickly, I suggest The Little Schemer series (for Scheme) and Practical Common Lisp (for Common Lisp). I have never used Clojure or other Lisps besides these two, so I can't comment on them.

Attached: 1553374934451.png (1200x1200, 1.28M)

haskell

Common LISP is not and can not be functional. Stop with the FUDD.

Ichigo is best girl.

this is not bad, in fact this single 1920x1080 image replaces 90% of college

Read the whole post before replying, based retard.

>generic copypasta
kill yourself