What is the ultimate NAS distro in your opinion? And why?

What is the ultimate NAS distro in your opinion? And why?

Attached: o735.jpg (764x700, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rockstor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Doesn't list XPEnology

XPEnology is the superior NAS distro in terms of polish for the end user all other alternatives are too hard to use for an end user.

does it support USB 3.0 drives? I have multiple USB 3.0 8bay enclosures and an ITX mobo laying around.

Yes...but you won't be able to use them in RAID since it's USB....

>This thread again
If you got no clue, just use FreeNAS. It's pretty brainlet friendly.

Except it's not?

>zfs still can't manage volumes like you could 25 years ago
lmao
Guess again fampai. That shit's almost a decade old.

Gentoo and set shit up yourself, duh

Debian

You really can't... it's a software issue with synology that unless you set the drives as internal in the CLI because the software doesn't allow it as of 6.0 earlier then that even.

This is what I use.

tiny brained

me too.

>minimum of 8gb ram required
>nas
lmaooooo

>XigmaNAS
more like XigmaBALLS lmao

Why would you ever use anything other than FreeNAS?

Why would you use a Debian/Ubuntu server when they don't have GUI?

You have to be joking.

Why don't people just use distros like Debian? I was just looking up at setting up some NAS, and they're all these weird niche OS systems with tonnes of RAM and shit. What's the deal with this HTML interfaces? Just use a proper os with some file server tools that you already know.

Methinks you have not used synology software before.

>niche OS systems with tonnes of RAM and shit
FreeNas isn't niche, and it needs a large amount of ram due to ZFS. You can of course get by with only 8GB ram, but why? DDR3 ECC server ram is cheap.

>What's the deal with this HTML interfaces?
So you can run a headless server without a desktop environment. Using a web GUI is more practical than a full blown DE.

>Just use a proper os
Freenas is already a proper OS. It's by no means perfect. No OS is, but it works for majority of home owners use case.

Attached: screenshot.9.png (1065x808, 64K)

Hmm, makes sense I suppose. Maybe I'm just the odd one out for wanting a box that simply serves files when requested. I imagined a NAS would be a server on the network that you could access like any other drive on the network, just needing its own power supply and a tiny os to handle requests.

>Maybe I'm just the odd one out for wanting a box that simply serves files when requested. I imagined a NAS would be a server on the network that you could access like any other drive on the network, just needing its own power supply and a tiny os to handle requests.
Freenas is

"windows running on old hardware in the closet"

t. dumb autist

Why would you ever use FreeNAS for a media server?

Reminder that ZFS doesn't require that much RAM unless you enable dedup.

resilver priority tasks/file cache

None of those, FreeBSD is what you want

How do you feel about Rockstor?

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rockstor

How braindead stupid are you exactly?

FreeNAS literally is FreeBSD, except configured specifically for NAS usage.

CentOS

Why CentOS and not a Debian, Ubuntu or Fedora server? Why does CentOS get shilled so hard in the server scene?