Jow Forums consensus on this?

librem.one/
Jow Forums consensus on this?

Attached: cuckcuckhoe.jpg (315x204, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/posts/deep-dive-into-intel-me-disablement/
puri.sm/posts/purism-librem-laptops-completely-disable-intel-management-engine/
puri.sm/posts/february-2018-coreboot-update/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

even the pinephone seems to be progressing faster, which is also cheaper and runs vanilla linux

It's just as they've described. It's geared towards normies who are concerned about their privacy but too technologically illiterate to do anything about it. Their chat is just Matrix rebranded. Their email is just regular email. Their VPN apparently is just PIA rebranded. Their social media is just Mastodon rebranded. However, the average boomer normalfag might not understand how these things work, so Purism is putting them together in a convenient little suite.
I'm still not exactly enthused about it, considering that roughly three of the four things in the package can be had for free, but if it helps Purism get more shekels for laptop development and the phone, it's not entirely bad.

>Librem
Promise and (((imply))) a lot, while delivering almost none of it.
>Librem key
Literally a Nitrokey with their logo
>Librem laptops
Run of the mill Intel-based machines.
They claim to "partially" remove IME, but there is no proof.
Gone on record for bending to Intel.
>Librem phone
Still in prototyping, terrible laggy GNOME mess.

I'll stick with Proton for mail, Wire for messaging and some small VPN provider for tunnels.

>vibrator
owo

Attached: 2019-05-02-095644_420x683_scrot.png (420x683, 75K)

>Logged in as postmaster
HOLY SHIT

Attached: 276751492039211.png (1024x1024, 1.73M)

>They claim to "partially" remove IME, but there is no proof.
Positive Technologies. They used their findings to do it. I recall they even made several videos showing off their efforts to disable it.

It isnt the next fairphone 3 with linux.
How long do you think the phone gets support? (cheap parts/repairs, batteries, other)

puri.sm/posts/deep-dive-into-intel-me-disablement/
puri.sm/posts/purism-librem-laptops-completely-disable-intel-management-engine/
puri.sm/posts/february-2018-coreboot-update/

Coreboot doesn't imply the lack of IME.
Libreboot might.

Also, according even to your links it's "partially" disabled and "put on hold" until later.

Liar. The word partially appears nowhere in any of the three articles. The put on hold was not referring to the ME disablement. It is in reference to further reverse-engineering efforts beyond that point.
Either you're being intentionally deceptive or you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

looks like a ploy to separate tinfoils from their money

>Liar. The word partially appears nowhere in any of the three articles.
What would you call these?
>The total ME size dropped from 2.5MB to 360KB, which means that 14.42% of the code remains
>The problem with the code in the ROM is that IT CANNOT BE REMOVED because it’s inside of the processor itself

I know. Nobody was saying it was "REMOVED".
What would you call these?
>Positive Technologies announced the discovery of a way to disable the Intel ME, and I needed to test it.
>I went through every setting available to make sure it matches, and when I tried booting it again, the ME Core was disabled and the Wifi module was working. Great Success!

OK here we go

1) the full service isnt out yet and its crowdfunded AGAIN when this was supposed to be a nice clean supplemental service
2) was what I anticipated this to be but all they've done is self hosted mastodon, matrix and whatever email and released ALREADY EXISTING open source apps that interact with these services with nothing more than a quick logo/name change. There is no effort into making this normie friendly on the client side whatsoever, just think about a normie opening up slick tusky followed by jelly bean K9
2b) Fun fact, they actually violated the GPL by not linking to the projects that they lifted. This has since been fixed with a quick mention
3) The only thing you get money for is for them to self host it for you and maybe the domain if you're retarded and care about that. Normies will find it too difficult and not understand why their new twitter client cant find celebrityX and think their mail app looks ancient and is wrong because tinfoils would prefer to self host rather than trust a centralised company and they'd be able to do it for cheaper too

In conclusion get a cheap VPS and sudo snap install nextcloud

>snap
cringe

It works after one command which arguably is easier than paying purism for half a year until they release their nextcloud based services

>The problem with the code in the ROM is that IT CANNOT BE REMOVED

then? THEN?
you remember what their goal was? they cannot even get their machines endorsed by the FSF HAHAHAHAHA
what a waste of time, what a lie. They know that it's the wrong way but are they changing? No, because they are already making money
who cares about ideals of freedom when it's difficult and you are already making money?
My opinion is that they need to move on something new / alternative. As now most of their products are literally shit.

So what to choose?
libreboot? Most of their machines are literally FUCKED. No blobs means also "I don't patch meltdown and spectre". But if you search you can find non-vulnerable machines.
PowerPC? Aah yes, that SHITTY legacy architecture made by IBM whose processors costs a kidney, good choice.
RISC-V? At the moment they till not usable.

About company services (cloud, email & stuff): self-host or nothing.
Also on which server are Pursim running their services? I BET that they aren't using their free software LOL HAHAHAHA

>1gb storage quota, over that old posts and pictures will be deleted

Right, there's nothing else they can do if they want up to date specs in a laptop. Not everyone wants to go back to Pentiums and Core2Duos and shit.

>american company
>privacy first
don't trust them as they can't deliver

>Jow Forums consensus on this librem spamming their shit here
Look at the other threads a percentage of Jow Forums likes spamming advertising or viewing said spam. After the last shill thread I saw, I have a negative opinion of them and people in this thread saying they are charging for free stuff (which checks out) reinforces that opinion.
Personally librem seem desperate for money even though they croudfunded development of stuff. Looks like misappropriation of funds to me. Probably are/may mozilla it up and do anti-user/customer or maybe no one buys their stuff, idk.

>US based
>"Privacy focused"
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL