Debian appreciation thread

Debian appreciation thread

Attached: debian.png (1366x768, 261K)

I don't like debian.
I use it since 2005, since etch was stable, but it is deteriorating the last years.
They used to have a strong policy about what goes in and out of their repos, they dropped packages if they caused even the slightest instability or conflict, but now they are tolerating incompetence more and more.
This shit started with systemd causing all kinds of instabilities, now it's been 2 years since you cannot install mypaint and gimp side by side, it continued with reverting back to gnome, even though gnome consumed more and more dependencies, now even depends on systemd they fucked things up with pulseaudio and they are just a repackaged fedora.
debian used to be that old school nazi managed distro that fixed every issue before release.
now they are just releasing a new version because it's been X months since the last one.

I usually use non-LTS Kubuntu but I have to admit that Debian with Xfce is the embodiment of comfy just werks™ distro.

Attached: 1542087961435.png (408x368, 96K)

Link to your bug reports?

what will this add to the conversation?

Debian is the definition of Just Werks™, fits every needs, no hassles, no maintenance needed.
It's literally the best distro to get things done.

The perfect distro for us girls :3

Attached: 1552008646875.png (1280x824, 1.6M)

Apart from when systemd fails to load the ATI drivers and it interminably hangs, necessitating a hard reset.

Seriously, systemd was the worst thing to happen to Debian.

I am a Debian developer. Breaking this stuff is never deliberate but we rely on people actually reporting about stuff not just posting shit two years later.

It's comfy and just works.
When is buster dropping?

How do you get that bottom Bar?

Stable and simple
T. Fedora user

Oh Jesus God and mother of Mary.

I am sadly very serious about this.

I have been using Xfce for a long time, but when I need a dock I just install cairo... >:

Install Apple Mac OS Bottom Bar™

yum install apt

It's the fucking default Xfce setup on Debian. And Slackware. Just add another panel.

For me, it's Manjaro™
The best Linux distro.

Attached: 1555252010.jpg (1920x1080, 786K)

These graphics are getting weirder.

And why would you post about Manjaro in a Debian thread.

It's like in a Budweiser thread saying, "I don't know anything about Budweiser but I love Groslch!".

Budweiser is shit though.

I want you to kill yourself user. Please.

Get out of this thread ya fucking numbskull

are you planning on helping RedoxOS like you once did with BSD?

a fucking low iq board is what Jow Forums is

im fucking triggered

Debian comfiest distro confirmed

Attached: comfyaf2.png (1920x1080, 2.41M)

How good is Devuan compared to Debian?

i always wonder if debian have a better performance than ubuntu

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-03 00-37-34.png (1920x1080, 802K)

I found it pretty much identical, to be honest, as a long-term Debian user. It's quite stable now. The Devuan community is slightly less shitty, a lot of the old Debianites moved over there.

I think Beowulf will be a solid release, and it has the most fucking badass name out of any distro release ever.

there was a problem with virtual box and it got dropped from stretch, and that was about security patches, the maintainer said that they cannot keep it in the repos. no problem with that.
there's a problem the last 2 years with gimp and mypaint, it's the devs' problem, not the maintainers' but nobody from debian acted like they did with virtualbox, they instead said that they are aware of the situation, the problem is a common library used by both of them and each one is using a different version. last time I checked it was a month ago. none of those packages were dropped, while one or both of them should.
there was a bug 3 years ago with xfwm4 and smplayer... I reported it via github directly to xfwm's dev, it eventually got fixed.
I have problems with network manager, it shits itself randomly especially when you have multiple wifi usb dongles, I haven't bothered with the mailing list because it was again posted the maintainer can't do anything about it. The same problem persists for over 3 years.
lately we have that unattended upgrade, automatic upgrade and the randomly popping package survey. all of them may pop in the beginning making your machine unresponsive, they don't care about being on battery or not... I mean whose idea was it to make debian more windows?
back in my days of tinkering with debian, the boss said, "hey, this shit doesn't want to cooperate. Drop it".
now the whole distro is being built to cater to systemd's problems, built around pulseaudio, built around network-manager.
why does this happen? I don't like systemd, but I am not complaining about it now. I am complaining why do they keep it as part of the distro when it breaks so many things. It even broke network configurations, nameservers, dns, you name it, nobody in debian batted an eye. 10 years ago? everyone would throw it out of the window.
Debian doesn't follow the philosophy it was built in the first place. Debian isn't trying to be a universal OS anymore.

>It even broke network configurations, nameservers, dns, you name it, nobody in debian batted an eye

That's not true, there was an immense backlash. But the voting system was rigged and the die was cast. There was no way Debian was not going to adopt systemd when it came down to it.

Unity was unironically a great DE. It's pretty much what gn*Me3 should have been.

nope it doesnt

>char limit
and don't get me started on the wiki.
You had problems with your droadcom wifi, bam. check the wiki, 2 mins later everything worked.
you had problem with your x1900xtx fglrx 3d acceleration? bam, check the irc, check linuxquestions, import sid packages, install latest gcc, fix other dependencies, build the module, load it and it worked.
Half the shit on the wiki are from 3 versions ago.
>why don't you contribute
I tried several times, I found a bug, I saw the report, I wanted at least to update the wiki...
>Account creation failed: Automatic account creation disabled to stop spammers signing up. Please contact [email protected] and describe what you want to do in the wiki..
WTF I am going to say? Hey faggots I want to update the fucking wiki, because no-one of you morons do.
if there's something wrong with debian, just check the arch wiki, that's the only thing that they have working good.
then check with the appropriate query for github issues, then focus on the mailing list archive.

Debian has been alienating itself from the users for no apparent reason... and after almost 15 years on linux, I have no alternative or the sources to move back or dual boot windows.

>gn*Me3
but unity is inside gnome..
so the only disadvantage is th aws server??

Move to Devuan.

I am not talking about the controversy when they decided to switch to systemd.
I am talking about all those problems that systemd caused to many distros during its operation on those distros.
Debian was very strict on the subject. If your fucking program caused instabilities, or didn't have the appropriate lts during its stable lifespan in the stable version, it will be dropped.
I mentioned virtualbox explicitly for that reason. Oracle couldn't support X.y.z stable version with security patches for the 2+ year lifespan of debian 8.0 (iirc), so they dropped it.
buster was shipped with a version of systemd that fucked up custom dns settings. I have no idea how, who and IF they fixed it.
Debian went from a robust OS, to a soup of packages just like Arch, openSUSE, RHEL, CentOS.

I will within 6 to 9 months.
My 2013 laptop with the novidiot gpu will not be supported any more by novidia.
bumblebee won't work, so I will have to move from testing to stable.
Devuan fits perfectly in this case.... but this doesn't change the fact that Debian has deteriorating year by year.

>needing an entire os to browse files

show me a single way of browsing a filesystem that doesn't require an OS.
I'm waiting

xfeces

sometimes I wonder why you people use linux when you need use console to configure like everything because you have no gui

Why is this bad?

Is Debian even relevant anymore? It has out of date software and no transactional upgrades so it's not even stable.

because it takes lot of time when you can just click out everything

and also clicking out is more comfortable

there's no such thing as "stable software".
get over this shit. no software is stable.
software falls in 2 categories
software with predictable behavior
and software with unpredictable behavior
If debian wanted to call its main release as stable, then they'd be working on packages from 2000 for 15 years and fixing bugs.
debian stable gets released frequently with bugs(i think jessie was bug free).
but bugs are not the issue. the issue is unpredictable behavior. that's what debian stable offers.
what's the difference between gimp 2.8 and 2.10. what's the difference between xfce 3.12 and 4.10, what's the difference between kernel 2.6.32 and 2.6.30?
the only bleeding edge s/w you need nowadays is mesa and the kernel with the AMD oss drivers.
how often do you update your smartphone? once a day? a week? a month? have you ever checked that it might've been half or even a year with the same kernel?
well, have an emotional void getting filled up with new s/w version, GBs of binaries for your applications and you forget that you almost never update the kernel or the drivers on you phone.
debian is relevant, debian is not your distro where you will wake up the next day and there will be several GBs of meaningless updates that might break your system.

Transactional updates allow both fast recovery from bad updates and automated testing so the system does get more stable. For example, Red Hat almost finished their method of transactional updates (OSTree + containers) and are starting to work on automated testing. So far, Fedora SilverBlue and Atomic have better recoverability and a safer update process than Debian. Once automated testing has advanced, Fedora will be more stable than Debian while offering the latest features for people who want them. This will then hit RHEL and Cent OS. As far as I know, Debian developers haven't done anything towards these goals. Debian lost the server niche and will lose the desktop niche too. If you want to use a distro that gets in your way when an update breaks, just stick with Debian.

The console is a gui and also it supports clicking.

>Debian comfiest distro confirmed
Debian is the best, but you can still do this on every other distro. What distro you use literally means nothing

>Debian is the best

Actually Ubuntu is.
Debian is the depreciated ancestor with less support that is deliberately neutered in capability because muh freedom whose creator killed himself.

Why would you use Debian when MX Linux and Devuan exist?

systemd can get fucked.

why use devuan when you can install sysvinit?

That's it, I'm installing Debian without systemd when Buster goes stable
I also wonder if there are major differences with Devuan And if there are advantages over Ubuntu LTS, other than the automatic installer and not being autistic with non-free drivers

Xfce appreciation thread

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-30_19-17-59.png (1600x900, 1.55M)

The issue goes deeper than things just not being installed.

Actual packages have features stripped because the licenses aren't "free" enough. Your fonts will look like shit, and everything will be slower and work less.

this, I rather have a distro close enough to upstream so that when they make a mistake I can also get a bugfix quick. instead in debian the logic is you wait 2 years so the regressions magically disappear

>the logo is a pube
ugh