What Distro does Jow Forums use for their NAS?

What Distro does Jow Forums use for their NAS?

Attached: o735.jpg (764x700, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/m_B8AFvguqo?t=115
youtu.be/bT_k06Xg-BE
jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/techsnap/
youtube.com/watch?v=JPvVMl9qOqY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>using a NAS unironically

Just use Dropbox like non-incel people user

just a samba share on my debian machine. Then i just leave it running and access it from my TV PC, Windows pc, laptops, etc.

I just bought a QNAP for $300.

I just have a bunch of HDDs plugged in on my machine lol

sshfs

Freenas.

windows server

Proxmox on ZFS

youtu.be/m_B8AFvguqo?t=115

Why would you use any of this jewish shit? Setup raid and LVM on centos or debian then share out the chunks you need using nfs or iscsi.

Or you pass on that trash and stop being a time wasting retard

>tfw use FreeNAS
>see this
youtu.be/bT_k06Xg-BE
Is it time to switch to Unraid?

Attached: tsukasa-hiiragi-522.jpg (300x450, 45K)

That was a great tech related comment bro. Your post added quality to the board and thread.

FreeNAS

OpenMediaVault it's really noob friendly.

>minimum 8gb of ram, 16gb recommended
Lmaoooo

Rockstor is better.

I use Windows 10

not even LTSB or whatever it's called now. Just Win 10 Pro

Fight me, in real life

Attached: 1556648961016.jpg (540x540, 56K)

Oh and I only have 4GB of memory in the machine, and I can expand the storage to whatever arbitrary size I want without needing to add more RAM unlike all those retarded NAS distros

If your computer's main reason to exist is to serve files, then it'd be stupid to NOT use the free RAM as a cache.
You can run ZFS on 4GB of RAM if you really wanted, but everything will be slow compared to if you had more RAM.

If I had a 10GbE network, sure a RAM cache would be relatively useful.

But with gigabit? Even spinning rust can easily saturate that link.

And as soon as you start requesting lots of small files it will slow down to a crawl. It doesn't even need to be random access, among other things.
You can get away with a low amount of RAM depending on your use case, but it'll always be better with more, even without ZFS.

>unironically linking LTT

Attached: cca0a6b2919d8148c92a646a5248e6b3aab2e22b08b76b9639e554f4d4a02cda.png (370x136, 6K)

HOW COME NO ONE EVER MENTIONS SNAPRAID??

Attached: 1383244694154.png (175x93, 3K)

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't see how adding more RAM will improve the random read/write times on a hard drive.

Ubuntu and Samba lmao

ZFS has a lookup table and cache that it stores in RAM. If it needs to find a file it doesn't read that information from the drives, it gets it from RAM. This is why they also tell you to use ECC, but I only know the simple explanation for this stuff. So I can't tell you why they can't just error correct in software.

Attached: I happen to be an idiot.jpg (680x660, 41K)

As much as I prefer Debian based distros like OMV, FreeNAS is the most stable and enterprise ready NAS. Those nerds @ FreeBSD spend every waking hour on ZFS. No other NAS distro comes close.

Ah, interesting. Makes sense now.

I'd be curious to see how that effects real-world performance for my use case - one user at a time, only occasional transfers, and mostly large video files.

Not to shill a podcast, but TechSnap's last 2 episodes went deep into the advantages of ZFS over other systems -

jupiterbroadcasting.com/show/techsnap/

Episodes #401 & 402.

Neat, I'll check it out user.

>being a ramlet

If you're just making a media server NAS, having more than 4gb of ram is fucking stupid, as is FreeNAS.

youd be paying for a worst slackware+snapraid install

not an os
i run debian+snapraid+mergerfs with sftp shares

arch on intel nuc with zfs on external jbod

Reminder that OpenMediaVault is literally Debian optimized for NAS.

>nuc
Based retard.

Rockstor

>has a mi box
>wants to casually stream localy
>LETS DOWNLOAD OUR SHIT INSTEAD OF STORING IT LOCALLY

Jow Forums is some next level faggotry

>And as soon as you start requesting lots of small files

no this is true in some entry level NAS that are confinded with a single ethernet port
those with 2 ports and a good cpu wont even fucking sweat

I can't have a 10 gigabit connection to dropbox

Racist retard

Linux from scratch

get a better internet

do you also own a personal river dam to store water instead of strwaminf water from the water company into the shower? nigger

actually i power my house with a mini hydrofolic turbine from a river

so yeah i guess you can say that

>wasting internet bandwidth
>wasting money on bandwidth i don't need
>latency
can you kindly fuck off, consumer

FreeBSD

Attached: F4F62F9E011A4A8CAC72168E52ED2248.jpg (600x900, 83K)

You really are a complete idiot.

OmniOS
>native kernel support for zfs
>not based on dietbsd CoC'd edition
>conservative release cycle
>more minimal than GNU/Linux
Then again I have a preference for unix on servers. I have a few Alpine based systems for webservers or if there's software that is not available on OpenBSD (Even then I sometimes just compile stuff on OpenBSD, for instance I have an Unreal IRCd server being served from OpenBSD).

Devuan

Arch linux

Ubuntu 18.04

>Devuan
Why? It's so crusty.

It's ok if you can't setup lvm and need to rely on clunky gui's like OP. You don't need to be mad that I pointed out the superior solution

Literally takes the same amount of time if not less than installing a meme nas os and provides much more control, once it's up everything is twice as fast to do. How exactly is it time wasting you pathetic brainlet worm

Why do you use a package manager then? You're just limiting yourself to what compileflags someone else thinks you need.
Why even bother with distros at all? Those are just prepackaged installs that have no benefit over LFS.

You are a complete idiot.

any distro will do, user

I've tried both freenas and OMV and they're both decent. Freenas performs best in my experience if you constantly have multiple streams going though. They both feel long in the tooth though since they don't focus around containers yet. Unraid is pretty simple and easy for newbs to setup containers. Costs money though which is why it's meh. Anyways if you're familiar or able to use Freenas or OMV in any advanced way you're better off just installing a linux distro like noobuntu with what you need.

When will you try out Rockstor or XigmaNAS? The latter in particular seems to be rated very highly by enthusiasts.

Just Werks

This.

Literally install Gentoo you faggot. Is this a new variation of the VPN faggotry? The answer here is always Gentoo in the end. Nothing is more stable, performant and secure.

Unraid, and here's why:

youtube.com/watch?v=JPvVMl9qOqY

Just setup samba, everything else is autism. You don't need an enterprise grade NAS for your anime.

Doesn't Unraid only run off a USB dongle?

>not just plugging a bunch of SATA drivers on your man machine
gay

honest question.
whats the difference between all of these distros and regular debian for a server nas?

You get a nice web-based UI.

FreeNAS entails all the advantages FreeBSD has, like the ZFS filesystem.

Unraid gives you amazing utility for building storage arrays.

Says you
some people like to have redundancy

ubuntu

centos minimal is gr8.

FreeNAS if you have ECC RAM, OMV if you want to set and forget some old pc you have around the easy way.

Why not rockstor?

Never used it. But they don't say on there website which linux distro are they based off, and that's a big no no for me at least. OMV is just debian with minor tweaks, you can build it on any system if you want to, just a bit more overhead.
The way I see all this stuff is...will this still be getting updates in 2 years from now or will it be another thing to constantly take care off?

Wut? It's based on CentOS & Fedora. You should give it a shot on a vm; looks much nicer than omv.

Yeah, I read its based on CentOS....on the FreeNAS website. Ofc I can give a try, GUI looking nice is a minor thing, you don't look at it everytime you only need functionality.

Attached: 9B3I6222YmvOP.webm (958x1048, 961K)

Just set auto backup

I've only ever used OMV but it seems unnecessary, I'm planning on just switching to a plain Debian install and setting up services on a per-need basis. Having a clunky GUI interface on top of everything when I'm SSHing into the box 99% of the time anyway just seems unnecessary. Plus, user management seems rather awkward since, as far as I can tell, OMV implements its own weird user/privilege management system on top of the standard Linux one.

am I correct in assuming that if you have a decent router, then you can just plug an external drive into it and have it be network accessible?

As far as being correct, you are and you can do that. Would that be utterly stupid? Yes. Routers are way to much insecure to do that, AsusGate comes to mind.

Unraid because I don't mind paying a on time liscence fee for really good software

is security really a concern for just a media storage drive though?

HP Proliant Gen 8 Microserver + Ubuntu Server + NFS

Server is 8TB RAID 10, never had any problems with anything because it's just Ubuntu so if anything doesn't work I can just fix it.

Debian arm64

It is. You don't know about the Asusgate, right? All the drives connected to those routers were exposed through the FTP port. Thousands of files, pictures, credit card numbers/scans, passports, and so on. It was a blast, really.

Based, especially if you do FC/iSCSI targets with COMSTAR

This is the only guy in this entire thread that knows anything. Everyone else should kys

Windows 7. Everything just works, fire and forget backups for all my Windows based mirror arrays, unparalleled remote desktop that also just werks™. My server has ECC RAM with full CPU and motherboard support for it. I have everything required to truly run something like FreeNAS with it's ZFS file system to avoid silent bit not as well as mdadm for RAID.

I'm just lazy.

running server 2016 on mine
i had freenas on it ages ago but it was slow as fuck
the only problem with 2016 is it takes fucking ages to update. i might downgrade to 2012 or something

I'm using nfs4 and have a dual 10gbps sfp+ nic installed (this will eventually be replaced by a 40gb qsfp+ nic once I get a qdr qsfp l2 switch).
I'm using nfs because of the better performance over cifs and simplicity over iSCSI.
I built this system on the cheap using a combination of old hardware destined to be recycled from one of my last contracts and cheap shit off ebay.
The board is from an old lga 1366 super micro 1U system. I got it for $60 on ebay with the chip and some ram. I upgraded the RAM to the maximum 32gb allowed by the mobo.
In hind sight there was a lot of things I could have done better and when I build my next NAS I'm likely going to use a dell r710 which has a higher ram capacity and a dell powervault.
It takes up 2 extra U's but it has better expandability.
My next system will also possibly used HAMMER2, since it doesn't use file locking and keeps layer separation. I haven't tested it yet but if it works out I'm going to use it.