GuixSD v1.0.0

Have you installed GuixSD yet Jow Forums?

Attached: twinkie house.png (500x419, 386K)

Well shilled you fucking tranny

nope. gonna try it, though.

I'm working on it.
I hope this is the OS that will finally get me laid. God I'm so lonely

So I just realized that Guix has a way to generate functions which will automate dependency swapping (recursively!)
Meaning you can modify the dependencies of packages and the dependencies of their dependencies all the way down, all automated
That's fucking amazing.

What do you mean? I'm curious. In what way you modify the dependencies?

Well probably the most common case I can imagine would be to modify the version.

For example, the reason I just found this option at all in guix is because my video card seems to have a bug with the latest version of mesa (or at least I'm guessing that's what it is) so I was searching the documentation for a way to change it.

So if I want to update my system right now, then by default all packages which depend on mesa are going to pull in the latest version of it, which I seem to have a problem with. For now I've just "rolled back" to my prior generation in guix
BUT now that I've found this option I realize I can actually still update my system if I just feed my list of packages into this function which would swap all dependencies on the latest mesa with the previous version I know works.
So they'd be fully up to date packages, but with a different version of mesa.

But an even more interesting example is given in the guix documentation, where they replace a packages dependency on openssl with libressl:
(define libressl-instead-of-openssl
;; This is a procedure to replace OPENSSL by LIBRESSL,
;; recursively.
(package-input-rewriting `((,openssl . ,libressl))))

(define git-with-libressl
(libressl-instead-of-openssl git))

So the first part creates a function called "libressl-instead-of-openssl" which takes in a package as its parameter and spits out a new package in which all dependencies on openssl (and all dependencies who have dependencies on openssl) will depend on libressl instead.

I remember seeing a fix for the bug where commands like ls don't work in a new system but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the fix?

You mean in guix? "ls" doesn't work?
It works for me.

Did you forget to include %base-packages in your list of packages? Or perhaps "binutils"?

probably depends why it doesn't work. I think most shells have builtins to cover that even without /bin stuff.

Yep, that's it. I did the graphical install but it didn't properly configure some stuff. I'll just do the manual one I guess.

I still haven't tried the graphical install, because that's a new feature in the 1.0 installation disk. Previous versions only had the manual method.

I'd be curious to see how good it is.

This is really nice. On gentoo I recall having to do some hacky shit with masking newer versions of packages to achieve the same result.

>gentoo
Man I REALLY hope guix adds some capacity for USE flags though.

I mean, it's already technically possible to do everything they can do, but the way packages are written right now is more or less 1 way, and you have to use certain tools and functions to modify them if you want to.
But it would be so fucking cool if each package was set up with these sort of self-documenting lists of available flags like gentoo packages are, enabling/disabling features in all packages based on triggers set in a global variable.

If I had to pick 1 thing I'd say Guix is currently lacking that would be it.

Yeah. It'd be cool to see USE flags in guix. Especially with how they are already declarative in nature.

It's a hipster and a safe bubble for hipsters (aka Debian 2.0), so... no, thank you.

Your comment is so nonsensical I have 0 doubt you're just trying to spread FUD without knowing a single thing about this package manager.
You should learn more about it so you can aspire to be a half effective troll.

Save some money and book a holiday to Thailand lonely user

if you do try please update

Honestly I'd prefer it over NixOS if it wasn't for the fact that guix packages don't have any non-free software in them, and that's not a privilege I can afford.

i didn't get it, is it a rolling release ?

>CoC
Yikes

They can though. It's just the repo that doesn't have it. There's nothing stopping you from changing repos or adding channels, or making your own packages of nonfree software.

was meant for

And what do I do in Thailand?