What user think of lineage os ?

lineageos.org/

Attached: lineageos.png (600x330, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone/
lineage.microg.org/
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&nDisplayResMin=2073600&chk35mm=selected&nBatCapacityMin=3000&idDisplayNotch=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Its less botnet than default android

Its a great OS but as companies (slowly) realize that we don't want bloat and don't want to be restricted on our phones there is starting to be less reason to go through the tedious steps to load it up.

if you absolutely have to use a smartphone it's the best option
for everyday shit just use the based ZTE Z432

Can someone tell me RAM usage after boot? For LOS14 LOS15 LOS16. You can cross off auto cached apps unless they have an effect on foreground app's memory/RAM usage.

I got 2gb phone, android 5 and it uses a bit over 1gb.

How about storage usage? This has 2ndary priority. With gapps and without. You can estimate. Im not looking for exacts.
My current uses less than 5gb for system and bloat/other uses 4gb maybe.

I use some slightly modified version of it, it's ok. At least it doesn't completely fuck some notifications like miui does due to battery optimizations so it's already a huge improvement

Lol, it's actually the total opposite for most big brands. It's harder than ever now to safely unlock the bootloader and load 3rd party ROMs even on "dev friendly" devices such as the google pixels with their A/B partitions and Sony with their DRM keys. Huawei had removed the ability to unlock bootloaders entirely and Samsung has the Knox flags which disable all secure digital payment features and void the warranty if you attempt to mess with their software. Sadly, android skins are getting more bloated, with the only notable exceptions being the Pixel line and OnePlus.

Then there's also a ton of corporate software that simply won't run with on a device with an unlocked bootloader and shit DRM like widevine L1 which is required for Netflix.

>inb4 "use only FOSS apps" autism. Some of us have actual jobs.

well samsung had an overhaul and the one ui is supposedly better and less bloated

LOL nope.

>better
>less bloated
Are you completly retarded or a Samfag?

>Less bloated
>McAfee pre-installed

Choose one

Literally the only option available. I pity fools who use manufacturer ROMs, or those who use iOS and can't even install their own programs outside of an app store.

The Next Android

>can't even install their own programs outside of an app store.
Cydia...

Can you use banking apps or do they block your access because of all the custom ROM + root stuff?

Is jailbraking still a thing? I thought it was dead because Apple cracked down.

>jailbraking still a thing
yes
digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone/

Depends on the app and how diligent the bank is. Some work, some don't. Google certainly makes it easier for devs to detect root/unlocked bootloaders.

I'm waiting for the Xiaomi mi a2 version to come out.

No samsung galaxy s5 neo proper version

It's ass honestly. Most of the phones I have support LineageOS but have an issue or two with it that they also have with any other pajeet ROM. Except Lineage also has less features overall. People go like "fuck all of that bloat" but with phones that are pretty "vanilla" I find no reason to switch to something that has even less features while also having to unlock the fucking bootloader.

If there's no LOS available for a phone that's a huge red flag. But as a ROM it's too basic for me, I prefer ROMs with more features.

Honestly? It's bad.
The guides on installing the ROM is wrong most of the time.
Take more then the original ROM making installing Open GAPPS difficult.
Not to mention the dropped support for older devices and even deleted those pages.
Also several core features of android doesn't work, like WiFi Direct, and Battery management.
Also one of Jow Forums's "upper mangment" is apparently on LOS dev team.

>The guides on installing the ROM is wrong most of the time.
There's one guide and it's exactly the same for all phones. twrp->wipe data->install->select zip->confirm
And this is the guide for installing gapps: don't.

Overall a nice ROM but a pain in the dick to install

>There's one guide and it's exactly the same for all phones. twrp->wipe data->install->select zip->confirm
>And this is the guide for installing gapps: don't.

You haven't installed a custom ROM on a modern phone, have you?

Run it on my op2 and have 0 problems. It's good for Chinese phones with good specs but bloated software

I've used it for a long time, but ever since switching to a more customizable ROM I'm starting to see the cracks in lineage.
Their autistic approach to AOSP is keeping them down.

>proprietary garbage
>DRM proprietary garbage
Use iPhones, cuck.

Using a custom ROM on 1+5 right now and flashed ROMs on several 2017+ xiaomi phones. On 1+5 I also flash a zip to disable encryption for convenience. If you're talking about a/b partitioned phones there's an extra step to not lose twrp after flashing but it would still boot after just installing the zip. Treble support just works, no user input required.

>twrp->wipe data->install->select zip->confirm
And the manged to fuck this up.
For example flashing the custom recovery require you to use this
heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-x.x.x-x-phonemodel.img --no-reboot
But in reality you need to use this
heimdall flash --KERNEL Kernelimage.img --no-reboot

I'm using Netflix with no problems on my Google-less LineageOS phone. I had to sideload the app, but that's trivial

Unlocked bootloader triggers safetynet only on the stock ROM - custom ROMs have kernel patches for that. Even Android Pay works, your "corporate software" does as well. Widevine doesn't even depend on the ROM, it's on a separate partition.

I just installed Lineage 16 on my unsupported phone a few days ago, and that's literally what I did.

Installing twrp is different for phones, but I never said anything about installing twrp, did I? It's not their project.

It's pretty comfy and "just werks", I highly recommend it.

If you want to use apps that don't work on custom ROMs/unlocked bootloaders (banking apps, Pokemon GO...) then you can just install Magisk.

>keeping them down

What do you mean? They have over 1.7 million active installs, and most custom ROMs nowadays are just forks of Lineage OS with extra graphical features.

How's that job search going?

Why would my job need me to install malware on my phone? Are you fucking retarded?

>dropped support for older devices
Check XDA forums to see if there's an unofficial Lineage build for your device. If you want official builds, then you can either maintain it yourself or ask someone to maintain it.

Those kernel patches usually have other security related trade-offs on an already partially compromised device. Also, good luck getting support or refunds from Google or your bank if you are ever hacked or involved in a fraud related incident.

It's a great thing to have 480p streams on a >1080p screen, isn't it?

>Installing twrp is different for phones
What twrp?
I'm talking about the custom ROM, you can't flash it with twrp, and you have to use the kernel method.

>Check XDA forums to see if there's an unofficial Lineage build for your device
And brick my device?

>I'm talking about the custom ROM, you can't flash it with twrp
Are you pretending to be retarded?

>if a phone doesn't boot it's bricked
Boomer please.

Check the comments to see if it works for other people, and always take backups of your /system partition (using TWRP) before you flash anything on your device, so you can easily restore it if something goes wrong.

You don't need kernel patches to bypass safetynet checks, Magisk does a pretty good job at bypassing safetynet checks and it's FOSS too.

If you ever had a real job you'd understand that I wasn't necessarily talking about YOUR device.

Soft brick
Try it yourself, I don't know if it's Samsung thing, but you can't flash custom ROM with hout flashing the kernel of that ROM first.

It's definitely a Samsung thing.

All of my points are still valid. If you don't use your device in the way the manufacturer/service providers want, you're on your own if you ever have any security issues.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you about the sad state that we are in today regarding ownership. I'm just making the downsides clear, because I've seen the other side.

No, It's lineage thing, I had similar issue Moto G4.
Happens if you want to flash Android 7 and above to old devices.

It's not like you're safe with the manufacturer's ROM. Rather than targeting 1% of people with unlocked bootloader(and these people tend to have a secure root solution like magisk so root exploits won't work) Malware developers would rather target Android itself which these very manufacturers never fucking update on time - and in that case using LOS wins hands down since it updates faster than even Google updates Pixels. I see your point but it's a nothing burger. The only case where LOS legitimately can't help if the phone's various firmware blobs are targeted.

The RAM usage depends on a lot of factors (e.g. your device's total RAM, the apps you install, the Android version, etc...).

I suggest that you try it yourself to get a clear answer.

>LOS wins hands down since it updates faster than even Google updates Pixels

You're missing the point. Companies usually have insurance to compensate customers in case somebody gets hacked or is victim of a fraud. If your device is not compliant with their standards, you're not entitled to compensation, because it's much easier to blame you than to admit their incompetence.

Do you care about the security or about the compensation? Outsourcing security has never worked and probably never will.

I'm not talking about outsourcing. There are risks that you can not mitigate through technical measures. All I care about is a seamless experience. I don't have the time to mess around any more. I will get the device that seems the most secure out of the box. If the manufacturer is incompetent with their security practices, they should be the ones who are legally liable.

should i install lineage OS on my old galaxy s5?
my s5 is almost unusable due to how slow it is.

You can try it I guess, try to not use Google apps too because they slow down your device. (If you have to use Google apps, use the "pico" package from Open Gapps since it's very minimalist).

It will feel like you have a brand new phone.

They could be so much more.
Adding a few extra features and flavours to lineage might actually get a lot more people into lineage. If you aren't a minimalist or a foss type of person lineage doesn't seem like a great deal desu.

good for an old phone but bad for a new flagship
it'll break all the good features under the guise of "removing bloat" which is retarded, if you have to change the OS of your phone because you can't uninstall the facebook app or think somehow getting rid of the original OS will stop the FBI from being able to get into your phone instantly at any time then you are absolutely deluded

>Adding a few extra features and flavours to lineage might actually get a lot more people into lineage.

Because that worked so well for paranoid android, aokp, omni and all of the projects that no longer exist.

Lineage serves its purpose just fine the way it is right now. It is an open and stable foundation, with decent support and not much bullshit. If you can't live without ricing your phone, there are other, less stable ROMs.

Same argument could be made for cyanogenmod. There are more factors why those roms failed other than having more features.

cyanogen is lineage

>I will get the device that seems the most secure out of the box.
So, pick at random and go for it? That's all you can do, because all OEM firmwares are proprietary. I mean, if even a pretend tech guru like Linus can do it - everyone can.
>If the manufacturer is incompetent with their security practices, they should be the ones who are legally liable.
Nice fantasy story.

>good for an old phone but bad for a new flagship
The blame lies on manufacturers, not custom ROM developers and maintainers. Samsung for example has a flash counter chip to "combat" this. It doesn't mean much if you don't plan on using your warranty, but the whole process has been getting increasingly more frustrating for developers. And now that their prices have been progressively increasing as well, not as many developers have access to them. The S9/Note 9 for example are at permanent beta stages of custom ROM development at this point.

>my s5 is almost unusable due to how slow it is.
No matter what you do, you can't change your 32bit quad core SoC and 2 GB of RAM. It will lag and stutter no matter what. Don't bother.

Why are you torturing yourself and using Heimdall when TWRP has a GUI everyone can operate and understand?

>It's a great thing to have 480p streams on a 1080p screen, isn't it?
It's an insult to directors and everyone who worked on a film to watch it on a smartphone, isn't it? This is entirely software related and for all the troglodytes watching movies on their phones Xiaomi has recently updated their firmware for the Poco F1 to support it. And even if you must watch a movie on your phone - download it on your computer and transfer it to your phone. It's like everyone forgot that option exists if the Widevine support doesn't.

It's not ideal, but it's better than full on Google botnet.
I don't like smartphones/tablets, but when I've had them I've always used Lineage to get rid of Google services/apps and to get a non-bloatware install of Android. I also tend to buy older hardware so it's a way to get up to date Android when a manufacturer no longer supports an item.

>Let me spend one hour to illegally download and copy a movie that I already have access to, through a subscription that I already paid for, so that I can watch it on my "debotnetted" phone that can still be easily tracked.

You guys are so autistic sometimes it hurts.

>Nice fantasy story.

I don't live in a shithole country.

Doesn't support iris scanner.

Into the trash it goes.

It's a feature. Why would you compromise your security by using biometrics.

Not anymore.
CM no longer exist.

>TWRP has a GUI everyone can operate and understand?
TWRP can't flash kernel only AFAIK.
Also TWRP can't be installed without Heimdall.

yeah because they rebranded into lineageOS
the name is gone but the product is the same
smart water is branded smart water, you telling me if they changed their name to unsmart water it still wouldn't be bottled water?

>rebranded into lineageOS
I meant as in CM custom roms no longer exists, as in the digital copies of the .img files are not on the lineage site.

Don't understand how people can use a computer without root. LineageOS/CM has made phones bearable and all credit to those who helped

If you weren't retarded you'd know how to express yourself properly so that you're not misunderstood.

it's fine, but because drivers in the mobile space are basically nonexistent it's not nearly as good as it could be

GSI exists. LineageOS can just use that and make a GLOS build for basically any android 8+ device.

Pretty great just a shame that basically no worthwhile phone supports it.

doesn't work on my machines

Every relevant phone supports it.

"Relevant" does not mean good.
If you want a headphone jack, large battery, no notch shit and Lineage Support you are down to a dozen phones at best.

It's pretty great if your device has an official build with a competent maintainer. I've been using micro g lineage for more than a year and it works like a charm.
lineage.microg.org/

Please post phones that will have good LOS support (i.e. not lineage-16.0-20190503-pajeetbobsvagene-chinkphone.zip with the stated features as I am now in search of a new one.

Chinkshit has the best LOS support though.

Trust me user I am also still looking. Can't find anything. If they have good battery, audio jack, etc LOS is either months old or according to users just doesn't work because it is supported by some pajeet without eyes or arms.

There is the poco F1, but doesn't seem to have very good compatibility with some carriers in the US.

Notch and no headphone jack. But at least it has USB-C I guess.

Gsm arena shows it as having a headphone jack with expandable storage. Is that incorrect?

>large battery
I'm more interested in removable batteries. Galaxy S5 and LG G5 are still supported. In fact, G5 has treble so it's supported by GSI.
>post phones that will have good LOS support
>with the stated features
Galaxy S9, OnePlus 5/5T.
Any phone that already has android 8 supports GSI so you don't need LineageOS.
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&nDisplayResMin=2073600&chk35mm=selected&nBatCapacityMin=3000&idDisplayNotch=1

Yes, but the user doesn't want a notch and I understand him. I also hate round corners and would prefer it if gsmarena made a filter for those phones.

Good for the most part, until weird glitches start showing through the cracks
for example the proximity sensor and accelerometer are completely wrong on my phone
camera quality varies because of proprietary drivers

Attached: 439_1.png (1080x534, 79K)

>TWRP can't flash kernel only AFAIK
It can.
>Also TWRP can't be installed without Heimdall
The process of flashing for most devices is through ADB.