Why do keyboards always waste the space above the arrow keys

Why do keyboards always waste the space above the arrow keys

Attached: G8NpoWA~2.jpg (244x249, 16K)

Because back in the day people didn't lack space so much they had to save a few square centimeters.

It's just inefficient. No one is actually running out of space. They could've put minimize and maximize keys there or a key that launches the text editor. So much you could do.

>dabs on keylets

Attached: anykey.jpg (1000x750, 99K)

so you don't missclick while playing old games that required arrow keys

Attached: 1536957578142.jpg (741x967, 135K)

Because 60% is the only option.

Attached: .jpg (3612x1988, 1.13M)

that hand could feed a family of four

How do people even use these? You dont have Function keys, you dont have home, end etc you dont have arrow keys. Do you make macros for basic functions?

>What are layers

those diagonal direction keys are neat, but having the down arrow on the bottom row makes that design crap.

Here you go

Attached: large_2446_Race3_2.jpg (1200x889, 348K)

>I'm an adult!

Is there an ISO version of this keyboard?

WHAT IN THE NAME OF FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT BALLOON HAND

Top kek

you can remap the middle key to down with the built-in macro functions.

Drumstick-thumb is a manchild disease.

Attached: 1528567182133.jpg (3000x2660, 1.83M)

The space around those keys makes it easier to find them by feel without looking. Same way there's a space between F4 and F5 and F8 and F9.

There's no denying that its more difficult to learn to use keyboards with layouts like this quickly and accurately. Not that you can't do it, but the compact layout makes it harder on you.

My laptop doesn't have this problem.
Neither does the keyboard I'm currently using to type this post.

Attached: Screenshot_20190503-084629.png (1080x1920, 209K)

numlet

75% is intuitive as fuck though. Arrow keys can easily be found since they're at the bottom right corner.

Why have a CapsLock key?

The correct way to format that
>between F4 and F5, and F8 and F9
because the two individual entities are grouped together conveying a single concept. Essentially they are one in that regard, and there are two of them. Hence the comma after the F5.

If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Looks pretty!

>using shitty full size
weeeeeeeeew

Attached: donthate.jpg (2048x1536, 262K)

They press like 3 keys for the F keys
Stupid junk
Crap layouts

Some keyboards don't waste that space, but you'd wish they wasted it.

Attached: broken1a.jpg (640x426, 95K)

Best layout for laptops, but I prefer tkl for desktops

That last panel is the odd one out.

>turbo key

Here's a better one

Attached: 20190417_0017.jpg (1000x666, 87K)

who the fuck uses numpads

>attempt to hit Delete
>hit Power instead
>*pssh* nothing personnel kid
>*shutsdown PC*

Attached: 1556324897008.png (596x391, 131K)

best design desu

need ten key at the very least, but fuck having a super long keyboard. don't like have my arms spread so far apart from wasd to mouse

Attached: 34_4b4e4eb638f2b87a8e76acd08c09141f_1450827566.jpg (800x468, 135K)

Everyone who needs to type numbers a lot, fast and without making mistakes.

yes, I have it in iso-nor. think they still have it on candykeys

>the legend defines the key

desu I never understood why tkl users would choose anything other than this. it's basically the best of both full-size and tkl

The arrow key section is fucking stupid. I want a numpad over a stupid arrow key section.

>wasted space
I agree about the wasted space above the arrow keys but any key bigger than 1u is also wasted space

Attached: xd75.jpg (1024x549, 74K)

Good thing i got a qt unitek keyboard

Attached: txyWYC3.jpg (1600x1200, 265K)

This

>Gateway 2000
Well, now I know what I'm missing out on.

Attached: 20190411_153811.jpg (4032x3024, 2.91M)

correct way to format your neck

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

>wanting to memorize layers instead of just having a dedicated key

what's it like being autistic?

they dont use or know what are for function keys, home end etc. They use the mouse and for games they use WASD..

What's a keyboard?

Attached: 5a689cb300d0efa6028b4eda-750-563.png (750x563, 390K)

Having the function keys on the left side of the keyboard is unironically fantastic and it's a terrible shame that keyboards stopped doing that.

You either:
>Press Function and the appropriate number key (just as you would shift and a letter for a capital).
>Use a dipswitch on the back to set capslock to function and do the same
As with many people who're converts to vim, converting to 60% ruins regular keyboards for you. I spilled coffee on my pok3r and it upsets me every time I have to move to the arrow keys instead of using caps+IJKL.

you know you can set up layers on keyboards that AREN'T 60% right?

You're just autistic.

tenkeyless is acceptable but 60% is literally just retarded ultraminimalism to the point where you are fucking removing useful features and functional
fuck you reddit basednigger

yikes

Noone tell this retard about 50%

Attached: 1547366028365.jpg (284x652, 48K)

Literally none of the functionality is removed you idiot, just because you can't see the label on the key doesn't mean it isn't there.

Imagine instead of ctrl-x, c, and v being the standard for cut, copy and paste and instead every keyboard came with dedicated keys for those functions, and then you switched to a 'normal' layout. You'd claim that the keyboard is 'missing functionality' because you can't handle the concept of having a modifier key.

Fuck it, let's have individual keys for lower case and capitals while we're at it.

>but 60% is literally just retarded ultraminimalism
60% is fine if you're married to your keyboard like most programmers are

40% is where it gets dumb

This is why I shaved, holy shit.

what's wrong with a 10-keyless (80%)?

That's what MOST programmers I know use.

Nothing is wrong with any layout. People just like what they like and others need to stop sperging out over the idea that not everyone wants a full 104 key, a full atx tower, 3 monitors, Windows/Mac OS, IDE, or whatever other bullshit """norm""" people are attached to.

Nothing, I just think 60% works too for people that use their keyboards a ton and have all the macros and layers committed to memory. Tenkeyless is fine for anyone to use if they aren't doing intense data entry

for a programmar meybe

>Best layout for laptops
This, it's such a shame they stopped making them.

What kind of program ever uses any of those keys?

It's a good layout in general. It's great for games that make heavy use of function keys, too--they're all easily accessible rather than being spread across the entire length of the laptop.

Do you lack reading comprehension? His point wasn't that layers are an inherent benefit of a 60% keyboard, he was saying that you can use layers to supplement the lack of certain keys. The important word here is "supplement"--generally speaking, if you have a vim key-based environment, you don't need a lot of the keys that are absent on a 60% keyboard, and in the rare instances you do need to use a function key or something, it's not difficult to press a single extra key and use a layer.

it's not a benefit because that "benefit" exists in all keyboard sizes.

If you like layers, nothing is stopping you from getting a 10 keyless and using layers.

Yes, you should totally shove the highly disruptive delete, end and page down keys right next to the arrow keys. It's not like you could hit them by accident or something.

Empty space != inefficiency.

Attached: 1529827722139.jpg (540x627, 87K)

Again, you seriously need to learn how to read. He never said layers are a benefit. My post explained that he didn't say layers are a benefit. He explained that you can use layers to supplement the loss of keys on a 60% keyboard. Are you ESL?

unironically jizzing my pants

Some put power and sleep keys right there. That is obnoxious.

Why do TKL keyboard remove the numpad and leave the navigation keys?
The numpad contains the navigation keys.

Attached: 1535217377546.jpg (575x523, 150K)

all of them but boogie has skinny hands though

I keep my chapstick there

Model?

most people leave numlock on

Attached: large_FC660MLEWPD_main.jpg (800x532, 39K)

How do you even move the cursor with this?

why don't more boards do this

Make way, superior keyboard coming through.

Attached: symbolics-keyboard-1.jpg (2730x1131, 213K)

imagine actually fucking cucking yourself like this

try playing touhou on that fucked up shit

kill yourself, zoomer.

Attached: OVERALL FEATURES.jpg (919x484, 81K)

Yes yes I know you hate innovation, gramps.

They do?

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x471, 53K)

Thinkpads made since about 2004 don't have this problem.

Attached: 1*opC2d5xLz9mT0qSwVhqvng.jpg (1600x1200, 346K)

So basically deprecated now with OCR and voice recognition.

Only in theory, just like how burger flippers are theoretically obsolete. In actual practice, not at all.

M

Attached: 1556717773955.png (490x549, 439K)

fucking fat

Why don't they move all that dickery over to the left so you have more space for your mouse?
Is the keyboard industry secretly run by lefties?

Attached: 1546133534579.png (1440x1497, 2.54M)