It's Unix, it's robust and it's free. No real reason to avoid it...

It's Unix, it's robust and it's free. No real reason to avoid it, but you'll miss out on the new hotness that the Linuxes tend to have.

Attached: 1310440091.gif (400x344, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yarchive.net/comp/linux/everything_is_file.html
cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html
grokbase.com/t/perl/perl6-porters/004an218kj/torvalds-on-posix-threads
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

do I get proprietary Nvidia drivers

FreeBSD has Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Hmm nice, might try it out then

>It's Unix, it's robust and it's free.
Yeah, so is Linux. Why should I switch to BSD? Not just "no reason to avoid it", but what would I get that I can't have on Linux? Especially since, by your own admission, there will be new features that I miss out on.

Linux is not Unix.
t. Linux user

>but you'll miss out on the new hotness that the Linuxes tend to have.
This is actually a significant factor for me, at least for work, and I always use a recent kernel.

Both Linux and *BSD work fine. Use the one that you like the most.

I personally like OpenBSD because of its simplicity and security features.

>muh unix
Why the fuck does everyone here repeat that shit like retards? You faggots don't even know what Unix is and yet you know it's the best thing ever because some Apple shill told you.

>windows user being buttmad because he is the only one that isn't a member of the cool kidz club
kek

>Linux is not Unix.
This is a moronic and pedantic position to take.

You're saying that either a.) there's some mystical pixie dust in V7 that transferred to, and only to, things that are traceable to it, despite the fact that none of the original code is left in any modern OS, or b.) all the things we think of as being characteristic of unix operating systems - all the system calls, the standard utilities, shells, and programming languages, the FHS, all that shit doesn't matter, what matters is whether you paid the Open Group for a gold star.

Linux looks like, feels like, and works like other unices, therefore its a unix.

>Linux looks like, feels like, and works like other unices, therefore its a unix.
No, you are wrong and quite possibly ignorant.

Linux deliberately violates POSIX, for example by not implementing kernel support for pthreads but instead relying on its own thread implementation. In Torvalds' own words:
>the POSIX standard is technically stupid.

yarchive.net/comp/linux/everything_is_file.html
cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html
grokbase.com/t/perl/perl6-porters/004an218kj/torvalds-on-posix-threads

>No, you are wrong and quite possibly ignorant.
You're proving my point - you care more about compliance with a standards document (which, I believe, nobody fully complies with) rather than all the other mechanics of a unix operating system. In other words Linux looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, and you're saying that it doesn't have the correct documentation proving that its wings are within the standard size that a committee settled on as defining a duck.

Don't be a rules lawyer. Everyone hates them, and even when they're right, they're wrong.

*hugs*

They are npc, incapable of independent thought/opinion. Everything they say is just repeating someone else. Look at the other reply you got.

Being Unix is a flaw rather than a virtue. Linux is better than that.

>You're proving my point - you care more about compliance with a standards document
First of all, you implied that it was only a matter of a "gold star fee" standing in it the way. It's demonstratively more than that.

Secondly, plenty of OSes fully comply with POSIX, I think most, if not all, of the BSDs do, and other actual unices do too, such as HP-UX and Solaris. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that mindlessly following POSIX is a good thing, it is retarded in some areas. Do you know that POSIX/SUS allows file systems to have data loss, for example?

But both FSF/GNU people as well as some kernel devs that have been with Linux from the beginning, like Greg Kroah-Hartman and most notably Linus Torvalds himself, continue to point out that UNIX (including SUS, POSIX etc) are not only archaic and obsolete, but also in many cases completely stupid.

You're correct that Linux (and GNU) started out as UNIX clones close to 30 years ago, but they aren't striving to emulate UNIX in any way, and in some areas, such as POSIX thread implementation in the kernel, they are deliberately doing it differently.

tl;dr Linux isn't UNIX, and this is a good thing because UNIX is fucking retarded

Unix was garbage. I don't get why BSD fags brag about their system being "more Unix-like". It's not a virtue. It's a project that has actively been working towards the past all the time, unlike GNU, which has always been about going forwards.
Rob Pike, with his Utah 2000, made an amazingly successful sneaky attempt at convincing people that you can't possibly make a better OS than Unix, and retards such as cat-v bought it.
Distributions such as Guix now show what you can do with a a more Lisp-based system (which already existed decades ago).

Dat debiru.

Attached: 82fd40b55fa9dfb044bc99f9406ce071.jpg (540x852, 54K)

Rob Pike and the cat-v gang are lost in the mindset of the 80s. I mean, they were supposed to sit down and create a new system's programming language and ended up with a copy of C but with slightly more secure pointers.

have sex

Attached: uriel1.png (853x621, 87K)

Stale meme.

Attached: 376df545063641afdb49e6b55707ea9f.jpg (700x785, 535K)

>Use the one that you like the most.
Hmmm sorry sweetie that's not how we do things here. You're supposed to say "Lincucks btfo, enjoy your glow in the dark systemd bloat *clow world* honk honk"

Eunuchs is proprietary malware and the entire catalyst behind the FOSS movement. Kill yourself iPajeet.

Attached: 1532604376235.png (800x480, 19K)

Attached: E6CF6380-8DE5-45D2-8CE8-1BD5B13FBC09.png (765x768, 408K)

>

I never used Unix (not even for a minute) until after I decided to develop a free replacement for it (the GNU system). I chose that design to follow because it was portable and seemed fairly clean. I was never a fan of Unix; I had some criticisms of it too. But it was ok overall as a model.
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
All this Unix idolatry is retarded honestly.
That said, Unix is pretty good.

Here user, you can have this.

Attached: 1547156231686.jpg (2253x3534, 403K)

DELET

>but you'll miss out on the new hotness that the Linuxes tend to have.
If by 'new' you mean any progress made in the past ten years