/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>i5-9400F/9600K - Great gaming CPUs
>R5 2600/X - Great multithreaded use CPUs
>i7-9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: steampunk-1.jpg (1024x942, 385K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/guide/csQzK8/modest-amd-gaming-build
pcpartpicker.com/b/rDvnTW
au.pcpartpicker.com/b/7Zmqqs
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157843&Description=asrock b450m pro&cm_re=asrock_b450m_pro-_-13-157-843-_-Product
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngcc8Y
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/RTryhy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Real /pcbg/

What's the point of buying a high end motherboard? Can't mid-range ones overclock a CPU just fine?

Just report and move on. knows he's breaking the rules but does it anyway. Did the same shit a few days ago.
Most other posters delete themselves when they post too early or late, but this retard doesn't care.

Reminder to report those who spam the threads to force the bump limit to be hit earlier, as well.

Thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/guide/csQzK8/modest-amd-gaming-build

Why do we hate Gigabyte motherboards again?

Attached: 13-145-037-V01.jpg (1280x960, 210K)

Thinking of buying cable extensions to make my pc cute.
My video card uses a 6+2 pin connector, will a regular 8 pin cable extension work with it or do I need to find a 6+2 extension? Please help.

This is the only new thread not blatantly shilling Vega garbage so I'm staying here.

That's a pretty good layout, aside from the bottom two SATA ports (wtf?).

So is water cooling officially a meme? I heard the Noctua NH-D15 achieves better temps than all water coolers, while also being quieter.

Why would you use an 8pin in the first place?

I can't get my CPU power cable through the hole at the top. The hole is too small. I'm about to fucking end it all.

Don't buy an RL06.

Attached: 7urmd4lxaf1z.jpg (5312x2988, 1.34M)

Reminder that if your PC doesn't have a raid 5 array, you're doing something wrong.

Is IPS still the best choice for a monitor? Even with the not-so-great blacks and backlight?

How is VA these days?

Attached: ips vs tn.jpg (2560x1440, 288K)

pcpartpicker.com/b/rDvnTW

Based

The only reason not to buy an IPS in the past was the more delayed response time compared to TN monitors, but this is not an issue on modern IPS monitors.

VA and their ghosting belongs in the trash.

Is the 1660 really worth it for 1080p and +60fps?

>70793617
Quit shilling that fat fuck in the op.

Still the best.

Attached: coffeelake.jpg (1038x584, 264K)

>2019 uses RAID
Have you tried ZFS?

VA are extremely different.
My main display is a 32"4K panel in juicy 92% AdobeRGB with 3000:1 contrast ratio and +-1% baclight uniformity, black levels are incredible.
Its an AMVA AOC, i was lucky to grab one for 500$.

My secondary display is also VA but its absolutely terrible and shitty.

So they are all fuckigh different varying from GREAT to TN levels.

Have you tried licking my nutsack?

>AOC

Attached: 1436819922136.webm (320x240, 156K)

>comes to pcbg
>doesn't use windows
Why even purchase a GPU if you don't play games or work in a productivity environment that isn't shit?

For what purpose?

Attached: 1024-img_0101.jpg (1024x768, 411K)

I'm building a pc with a geforce 2060 right now. I'm trying to connect it to the power supply using a cable with 6+2 PCIe on one end and 8 pin on the other. I put the 6+2 side into the 8 pin on the grpahics card and the 8 pin side into the psu, but the graphics card isn't turning on.
There's two sides on the psu, one says "sata and peripherals" and one says "PCIe", and I have the 8 pin part of the graphics card cable plugged into the pcie side of the psu.
What am I doing wrong?

How's the ghosting?

Attached: 5-SteamPlanet–Pablo-Suarez-aka-Arg0s.jpg (500x608, 94K)

>4 threads fighting over OP
pcbg is officially dead

This is the only one without blatant AMD shilling. Every other thread is dead.

Blame the pajeet shilling amd trash in the op.

What's up faggots? After 5 hours yesterday and 3 today and I finally got my first build up an running!

>research parts and get up to date with tech in extreme scrutiny
>put together list with all the best premium parts and optimized to perfection
>realize you are poor and shit is expensive
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 82a.jpg (200x208, 7K)

How do these numbers look for an SFF build?

Attached: tempsandshit.jpg (481x953, 172K)

>gtx 1070
>sff

Attached: 1505702906392.png (399x322, 42K)

>ask question on /pcbg/
>get irrelevant greentext
>doesn't even make a point
>just wanted to waste a post

what would you have purchased? and it was $220 off craigslist

>BUT MUH WATTS
>PLS SIRR XDDD
Fuckin' glow in the dark Intel shills.

half the fun is watching your savings grow and see what the next part that is coming up so that way you can make an informed decision. when i first started to research parts i wanted a 7700k with a gtx1080 and a full tower. then ryzen came out then coffee lake then rtx and etc, and eventually my build took a big turn as my savings grew, now i have exactly what i want because i was forced to take my time

I wish i got the "plan around your monitor" advice..

i have a ryzen 5 2600x and a rx 590, using a 1080p 144hz panel, however my second monitor is a 6 year old ips monitor is bought for like 100 euros and the quality seems to be much sharper

would it be smart to take our my gpu, buy a better one, use my 144hz monitor as my second monitor and buy a new monitor? I was thinking a 4k 60 fps one.

Thoughts?

au.pcpartpicker.com/b/7Zmqqs

I have a 4K 60fps monitor and a 1080p 60fps recommend it heavily

I already have my primary monitor picked out (a 27" 1440p 144hz if it matters), but I'm doing a multi monitor setup. Any advice or suggestions for secondary monitors that won't be used for much beyond watching anime? I'm going to VESA them as well, so thin bezels would be nice.

yeah especially with the rumors of the ps5 targeting 4k, i was planning on going for a 1440p one but i would rather just buy a 4k so i wont have problems with next gen consoles, and i could still play 1080p games on the 4k monitor, the 144hz monitor was pre useless lel 60 fps is good enough for me

any advice wich one is good?

i bought a 24" 4k monitor and hated it, complete waste of my time.

Returned it and bought a 43" 4k LG monitor and couldn't be happier, much larger, and a bitch to get mounted at a desk at the proper viewing distance, but once I worked that out with a wall mount, it's been perfect.

Take a look at the LG 27UK600, it is 10Bit, has HDR and is very well rated. Costs a bit over 350.

So I got new RAM a couple days back and at XMP ran memtest and got no errors.

Last night I kept blue screening so I decided to run memtest and constantly hit errors, but decided to sleep instead of dealing with it.

So this morning I turned XMP to auto in the mobo and now my system is only detecting 8 gigs of RAM but running no issues in memtest.

Is it possible one of my sticks just straight failed?

Attached: 19149149.png (659x525, 164K)

what would you guys say i should get for my gpu tho? whats the strongest one that pairs well with my ryzen 5 2600x, no overclocking

depends on the games you play.

But an RTX 2060 or 2070 is about the extent you should bother going with that CPU.

I have a 1660Ti and I can play vanilla Skyrim at 4k 60hz ultra settings without issue.

either memory controller on your cpu, either the motherboard, either the RAM sticks
there is many points of failure.
Try 1 stick in either slot, then try the other stick in either slot. That should give you basic idea.

Sounds good tobe, but double check everything and read your psu manual.

I've completed my build, currently downloading a game to see if everything works. How do I change the RGB colors on my Mobo and graphics card? I've got a Aorus Z390 Elite.

Usually software, occasionally BIOS controls for the motherboard.

lol wtf shitty VRM deisgn is that?

You don't know what reak HDR is, retard.

then explain what it is for us plebeians who just can't compare to the majesty that is you.

would i have problems pairing a 4k 60 fps monitor with a 1080p 144hz one?

If you're using nvidia you will have a bad time.

with Nvidia GPUs you wont be able to play at 144hz AND watch a movie at the same time, no matter how powerful your GPU is.

Nvidia GPUs just aren't good at dealing with 144hz and 60hz content simultaneously.

Just normal web browsing and other shit is fine, you can easily have maps, forums, etc open on the 60hz panel, but if you try to do something that requires the GPU (like watching a video), then it goes to stuttery shit.

Let me give you a free tip, dumbass: Real HDR monitors won't cost less than $1000 and they will always have a 1000 cd/m2 brightness rating.

8-pin for the CPU header is different from the 8-pin for a Video Card. You can use an extension, but make sure you get the right one.

Even having hardware acceleration enabled on the browser will tank the 144hz down to 60hz.

I can't handle their gaming logo. Looks like an eagle in profile with a horrible overbite

Water cooling is only good when running hard OC's. Under normal conditions or light OCing, air cooling is cheaper and safer for the same performance.

nah, I have an MPG27CQ that I use primarily for gaming with freesync compatibility (works great on this monitor) and I have no issues having hardware acceleration enabled in chrome with shit open and playing CSGO and other games at 144hz.

I just can't play videos, just having a browser open to Jow Forums or something though isn't an issue.

I read somewhere that if you don't pull any errors running at AUTO it isn't your motherboard so I'm left to believe it's the RAM sticks, I got:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712
For RAM

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157843&Description=asrock b450m pro&cm_re=asrock_b450m_pro-_-13-157-843-_-Product
As my motherboard

I also have my old RAM still so I can test that because that never gave any errors either.

I need some help. My new build powers on and the fans spin slower after a few seconds, but I get no image from either VGA or HDMI, with 2 different monitors. I can turn it off with the power switch. I don't have a beeper.

I unplugged everything and plugged in only the bare minimum: Power switch, 24 and 8 pin, CPU fan and a single system fan. Reinstalled the CPU, no bent pins. Single RAM stick in A2, tried both sticks.

Any ideas?

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngcc8Y
Except it's a 650m instead of 750m.

>real HDR is only the HDR i deem as real
lmao

VESA would like a word.

There are various levels of HDR, just because it's not the highest specced version, doesn't mean it isn't HDR.

Dobly's HDR tech has a max spec of like 10,000 cd/m2, your 1,000 cd/m2 figure is nothing in comparison, and as such, can't POSSIBLY be "true" HDR as you claim...right?

Attached: 2019-05-03 14_33_31.png (693x1861, 540K)

Not him but is this not an issue if you have two 144hz monitors? I'm not sure if I want to splurge on multiple 144hz monitors just to be able to watch videos while I play.

>au.pcpartpicker.com/b/7Zmqqs
Your choice of SSD's is bad. You could have easily gotten a 512GB m.2 for the same price.
Or drop the other sata ssd and just get a 1TB m.2.

If they're both 144hz it wont happen since the GPU has no issue dealing with multiple 144hz signals.

Just happens when you mix and match the refresh rates.

Now I feel like I need to get 3 of my primary monitor and blowing a fuckton of money. I could get two 1080p 144hz monitors as secondaries instead but then I worry about mixing resolutions since my primary is 1440p.

I hope you didn't forget that there is no integrated GPU in the 2600.

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/RTryhy
Is it gonna work?
It's for modern 1080p gaming, is it enough?
Is it good?
I already have a monitor and a ssd. Thanks in advance

Change la CM pour une Pro4, mets le reste dans de la RAM soit plus rapide, soit avec une latence CL15. Sinon ça marche.

So I finished the PC

I have installed
>Chrome plus adons
>Steam
>Adobe Suite
>iTunes
>iCloud
>Geforce Drivers
>All Windows Updates

Anything I am missing? I am downloading Forza 4 to check if it works under heavy load and then I want to do cable management and close it up

(Moi)
Oh, and the cooler you've picked is not worth it: there's a decently good one bundled with the 2600.

Open device manager and see if you have any device that has an issue.

They are all supported, there is nothing unkown or out of the ordinary.

so people told me to get a ryzen 5 2600x if i dont want to overclock and i also got 3200mhz sticks

do i need to do anything special to get the use of these things?

A mobo where you can set the cpu voltage offset.

Wait what? You can't get video without a graphics card? Seriously?

How hard is it to build a Hackintosh?

Only CPUs that have iGPUs such as APUs have that capability.

None of the nicer Ryzen CPUs have iGPUs.

2500/2600/2700, etc

Custom loops were never a meme, it offers way better cooling but at the price of more maintenance involved and higher cost investment.

AIOs are a meme unless you're assembling a Mini ITX build where space is a concern.

So I do some swapping, one stick in one slot wouldn't even post, next time blue screened. Putting it in the other slot caused it to work fine on a memtest.

The other stick in that slot memtested fine in both slots, but both together cause an error.

I'm very confused as to what the problem is.

put the first stick in the other slot
put the second stick into the first slot
?

i have that tomahawk 450 something

Sirs, when will it be a good time as a Canadian to buy a good 1080p144 monitor for under $300?

A good motherboard. MSI used not to support voltage offset, but with recent BIOS updates they now do. So update your BIOS, enable PBO and see how much you can offset the voltage and keep your stability.

Maybe with a TN panel.

I prefer either VA or IPS

I did that read the post carefully

Have you tried giving it more voltage? Start at 1.4v.
When I had a B450M pro4 it struggled over 3000 with stock voltages.

I have not but I'm still surprised one stick wouldn't post in one of the slots, that's just beyond strange to me, and one of the times just wasn't used.
I'll try right now.

What is that a 4 phase? Be crazy putting an 8 core in that.

I wonder if he threw away that H100 when EVGA started making their own AIOs?

You have to use the right slot (A2 iirc) for just 1 stick, just any random slot won't work. Also reset cmos first.

That's just it, my A2 was the slot that didn't boot with the onestick, it booted in the B2 slot.

I haven't reset the cmos however, could that have led to anything?