Why is convergence still not a thing

I don't get it. There's plenty of affordable hardware out there that works well enough, and both Linux and Windows not to mention Android have been making efforts at convergence for years. We had full-blown Windows PDAs back in the Vista era.

Why do we still not have ultraportables that hook up to a big display and run the OS smoothly at 4k? What's the best Windows device out there that comes closest to the form factor of a phone? Is there any future for Linux in this after Ubuntu Touch died?

Attached: Samsung_DeX_dock_with_S8,_plugged_into_monitor.jpg (5184x2912, 3.75M)

Well the most recent attempt that comes to mind is The Cloud(TM)

You ever tried DeX? Actually works fucking great. Modern normies won’t be adopting the technology. The future is just iPads and Laptops. Desktop workstations are not a growing market.

I have. Would love it to work but it doesn't support 4k, and it's slow on my S8. I wish it worked better on my display but it doesn't - if it did I could stop lugging my Macbook around every day.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 XL doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 1548592462966.jpg (1600x1194, 236K)

>muh 4k
kill yourself retard

I used to work in a company where half the people had Chromebooks. I think in a lot of companies, a lot of roles could do just fine with a modern phone plus a DeX for your home and office.

Hell, I'm curious if it's possible to even do development and design work on a phone. There are online coding environments, and Figma works completely in your browser. I just think Android is too bloat to get there until a few years from now.

Would be great if Windows Phone was still alive. Not even being sarcastic, I hate it that there's not more competition.

That's pretty edgy there, friend

Android feels like such a massive downgrade in terms of UI.

Because now everything is a subscription and needs to run on servers that a company controls.
Their endgame is to have everything streamed, so that you can never stop paying.

It will all be fixed with Augmented Reality.

Why have a fixed monitor that you connect to your device, when your device is capable of projecting an arbitrary amount of monitors into your field of view?

I hope we'll get something before 2050 arrives.

>Why do we still not have ultraportables that hook up to a big display
samsung phones have done this for a while with dex. You just need to buy a hub to connect monitors, keyboard, and mouse to your phone. It's literally what you have in your picture. You arent going to be doing super intensive tasks like gaming, video editing, or 3d rendering but thats alright.

Okay, boomer. I forgot that anything above 240p is the botnet.

I forced myself to use DeX for a bit with a $30 "dock", it worked but it's rather slow. Honestly though, it would work for most people who use their systems for personal use. Supported my ultrawide monitor too, which was a nice bonus. I can fully say it was a far better experience than ChromeOS for me as well.
If something like the A12x iPad Pro supported a DeX-like output, it would be perfect. Maybe the Snapdragon 865 will be powerful enough for it to be a smooth experience.

Augmented Reality on that scale is too far off, maybe in the next 10-20 years. The HoloLens is garbage and way too bulky, it has to around the same size of glasses to be viable really. You could use your phone to power the glasses but even minor latency would ruin it.

With Pie all you need is a usb-c to hdmi cable

yes thats true if you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse that can connect to your phone directly which most people dont have. The non-samsung hubs are like $30 or less on amazon, even the official one was only like $50-60 so not that much.

>What is the samsung galaxy and librem 5

Even if desktops quit being sold because you're the cattle and fuck you you don't deserve the power go play on stadia, objects like the nexdock will allow them to still use the technology and thus only ever buy phones. But it might take apple making an accessory for the iphones for it to ever become the norm for any highly socialized group of people.

>But it might take apple making an accessory for the iphones for it to ever become the norm
I dont see them doing that any time soon. Then why would you buy an ipad or laptop or desktop from them?