/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires BIOS chip de-soldering), T400(s), T500, W500 (works with igpu, no DP).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
>[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCat80.jpg (1280x960, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gpd.hk/gpdmicropc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I LOVE LOLIS

Just bought a fully-functioning i7 W520 for £65.

It'll go nicely with my i7 X220 and I can finally retire my 920XM W510.

Attached: fbi.png (2560x1440, 409K)

I'm disappointed at the lack of "how to take a screenshot" and "gay sex with hats on".
Pony inflation and /vore/ are pretty good though.

That kot looks fucking traumatized, like a Vietnam vet

I plan to clean the fan of my T420 (i7-2640M) and replace the original thermal paste. Any tips?

Yeah, that one's a bit old. Here's a new one.

Attached: reported.png (1920x1200, 1.05M)

I LOVE LOLIS TOO

Anyone know how the fuck you remove the whitelist on X40 series BIOS?

Is this Jow Forums-approved?

Attached: file.png (1135x536, 259K)

Holy fuck I hadn't realised how truly thicc my T420 was until I opened the box of my new used T450s 5 minutes ago

Also why do people complain about the chiclet keys? typing on them now they feel as good as the regular keys
Layout is definitely worse though

Well it's newer than the xx30 series so no, not really.
Looks like that one also as a fused keyboard and (probably) soldered ram so it is what it is.
I would recommend going for the xx80-series if you want the newest possible ones but with the option to repair parts.

>$950
the whole point of the thinkpad meme is that you can get good machines for cheap, secondhand
that's not second, it's not cheap, and it's not good

if you're buying newish thinkpad, aim for xx80 series it's much better in many ways

for modern standards it's not that bad
>soldered ram
you get one slot and 1 soldered one for some reason

Attached: screenshot.png (1319x1009, 114K)

I'd like a Thinkpad and I'm specifically eyeing out for anything within the X series. A refurbished X230/240/250 falls within my budget, which one would give me the best value for money as a student?

X230 is probably the best overall, dual channel ram and is built like the old thinkpads, though it has the new style keyboard you can swap it out fairly easily with the old one

X250 if you want a nice screen as it can get an excellent 1080p ips panel but the X250 is a newpad and has the worse keyboard layout and single channel ram, although for the kinds of things you will do with an ultraportable laptop that doesn't really matter. The battery life is also excellent and it has two batteries, one external one internal

>pick up my 9-cell battery that I bought from eBay that is currently recalibrating
>notice that it's legit with the logos and everything
>take out my 6-cell
>it says that it's for the T530/T530i
>it actually looks like a chink battery

Attached: 1554176664354.png (582x498, 307K)

>Replacement screen cable arrived today
>Replacement screen hasn't
>Replacement palm rest that was supposed to be here middle of next week got here before the screen
I don't suppose the T420's 900p cables are backwards-compatible with the 768p screens, huh?

Attached: 1554230601061.jpg (537x594, 45K)

Are there any T series laptops that can run cad? I need something that can run solidworks. I can see some of the newer laptops come with intel hd 620 graphics. Is that any good?

The wrong keyboard arrived today, I feel you senpai

Hd graphics are just the integrated graphics on the cpu, they'll struggle to run minecraft never mind running cad software

Get a desktop if you need to run solid works and don't need it to be super portable, far better bang for your buck and it will give you way more options down the line

A laptop that will handle complex cad will run at least $2k and will be outdated in a couple of years

I have a thinkpad x220 running arch
the trackpad isn't smooth at all, a slight movement makes the cursor jump at least a millimeter which is way too much obviously
I've used arch on this laptop before and last time I installed libinput and it seemed to fix things
Now, however it doesn't
(this time I'm using deepin, kde doesn't install pretty well for some reason)
anyone know what to do?

Is this only when it's charging or always?

T500 user who put a W500 board in it. So I put the original intel wifi back in and taped it down, now the wifi works again. I'm now waiting on a 1920x1200 monitor and a W500 bezel and then the conversion is complete.

Attached: IMG_20190503_193321.png (1548x1073, 1.88M)

hol up
always

Are there any 10"-11.6" models that can drive a 2200x1650 HDMI display?

Speaking of higher resolutions, can you install a 1920x1200 panel on a T400? Or should I settle with a 1440x900 panel for simplicity's sake?

Are Ultrabay batteries any good? I can't find any new Lenovo ones and I'm scared to by a 3rd party one.

good luck finding a 4-inch, 1200p panel.

I have a budget of ~$4500 canadian sheckles ($3348.83USD). Which Thinkpad should I get? What do you think of pic related?

Attached: Untitled.png (839x794, 101K)

Can someone inform me on thinkstations. Are they any good?

What are you going to use it for?

Generally programming, maybe some 3D and video editing here and there, running a few games at any settings would be nice. Most likely Ubuntu. Big fan of the 17" inch screen, didn't see any others of that size on there.

Attached: 1-QZWPn67shrHD-W5iOG5tvQ.jpg (2000x1500, 2M)

T530 i5 3320 with HD 4000 runs solid works 2k18 workably for small, single body parts. Really chugs for assemblies and anything more complicated than say a chess piece.

>4" 1920x1200
Didn't know they made ThinkPads so small
(I know you mistyped please don't kill me)

oh, i just noticed. that key is starting to die though.

Is the P70 a good model? Thinking about picking one up when the cheaper off-lease units start coming in to replace my W530 that's randomly powering off all the time.

Attached: 1553735064052.jpg (1024x1024, 96K)

When will there be a memepad with a 9th gen CPU?

>ded

I love my thinkpad.

You could just buy a gaming laptop for a lower price and have much higher performance.

Expensive ThinkPads are for businesses wanting support, not for consumers. They literally market the P series to oil fracking companies.

Gaming laptops have TERRIBLE battery life and usually no TB3 which means you're stuck with whatever GPU you buy it with.

No. Soldered ram hand frying pos. Pony up for a X1E if you want 15 inch.

I love lolis in a non-sexual way.

So word from the wise when building a coreboot rom for your x220. Don't turn on the setting "Ignore vendor programmed fuses that limit max. DRAM frequency". I was getting memory errors and crashing all over the place. The 16GB RAM kit I ordered wouldn't even boot into Linux.

Attached: 2019-04-30.jpg (512x384, 52K)

What about the GPD Micro Pc with 8gb ram m.2 memory for 300$ starting price , whent up now? Mine is getting shipped This month.

Attached: GPD-MicroPC.jpg (664x456, 55K)

Seems like the perfect laptop for someone with Trump hands

heh

Attached: she_gave_the_money_back.jpg (900x900, 91K)

I was going to buy one, but Linus Tech Tips Torvalds did an early unboxing of a prototype and said its keyboard was shit and the trackpad is garbage.

Is buying a brand new ThinkPad the only way if I wish new/almost-new hardware on it? Looking for a laptop replacement and I don't really intend to begin with a

Under what conditions can I upgrade the processor on a TP?

I need something 13-14", TB3, can upgrade to 16GB of RAM, can be charge by powerbank over USB-C and has great thermals when not doing anything intensive beyond office/browsing/web dev since my country is fucked for thermals/humidity during summer.

And has intel 620hd gpu at least and also available in Europe
Options? Budget doesn't matter but I'd ideally have it for at least 3-4 years without needing a replacement or it getting sluggish

bs the keyboard is decent and lit and the touch is good also dont throttle fans handle 10w very good

Animal Crossings cat. So cute I pass out.

that was a poor review rushed , the other gpd where praised and actually are slower than this thermal wise.

Times 100 most memorable

Could anyone suggest me the best used cheapest Thinkpad I can get with support for up to 32 GB ram and perhaps i7?

where's the best place to buy a thinkpad UK? i want one just as a side project to repair and modify. I have experience with computer hardware not laptop.

I have an x250 on the way, got it for a good price but the top shell has a bunch of shit on it, marks and it looks like some weird spill or something. Can a magic eraser be used for this like people do on the older thinkpads?

I'm trying to do the x220 keyboard mod for my x230. My keyboards are fin/swe, so is there a chance that I need to isolate different pins than what is adviced in thinkwiki? When I isolate the pins, the laptop does not turn on. I tried without isolating, and I got some burn marks and also the mouse buttons do not work at all. Also flashed the ec, yet none of the function keys work.I did exactly like adviced in guides when flashing the ec, but I never got the second screen for the "flashing embedded controller". It did say before the reboot though that flashing was succesfull....

Attached: 600px-X230-kb-mod-con-2.png (600x374, 55K)

T480/T480s

>My keyboards are fin/swe, so is there a chance that I need to isolate different pins than what is adviced in thinkwiki?
Nej
What it sounds like is you possibly isolated pins on the wrong cable since the internal one is in two layers and you're supposed to tape the bottom one.
Taping the top one will possibly break the clit and some other buttons so it sounds like you either need to take the tape off from the cable (if it is on the wrong one) and pray that the keyboard works or you'll have to get a new one.

Thanks, I'm opting for the t490 I Think instead since it has a dedicated (albeit entry) GPU and is only 1400 now

you watchin sum weebshit there?

Thank you so much.

Does the spot next to ThinkVantage button touch the screen bottom frame for you? Did anything to fix this?

Also in some guide someone said that the x220 fingerprint reader won't fit in x230, but it seems to have fit for me..

Pic is not me

Attached: 9aoqD9l.jpg&sp=c182c4f6eb10b581d16e60df9f79e90b.jpg (4032x3024, 904K)

>also the mouse buttons do not work at all.
Myself I had to add some paper to middle of that metal piece to get contact working for buttons.

How do I go about changing the screen on my T450s without losing brightness control? the only guides online I can find all mention something about lenovo messing with the names of screens in EDID which makes it impossible to control the brightness after installing an oem screen, but they're also all seemingly copies of the one guide wrote by some pajeet in broken english on lenovo's forum

If I get a screen that's the same oem model as the IPS panel lenovo sold the laptop with is it just plug and play?

Strike Witches, it's good for the panty shots.

I am a business owner, and I want it to last. I'm not buying some alienware gaymer laptop lmao

bump

does /tpg/ approve of x1c gen6?
Seems like a great machine.

anybody? is simply following the hardware maintenance manual enough to do it properly?

If you don't wanna follow the manual, look on YouTube.

What charger to do i buy for an x220, is offbrand ok?

I finally joined the masterace

Attached: Its running windows btw ^)))).jpg (1383x1037, 235K)

UWUXGA is best resolution.

Attached: screenshot.png (257x29, 3K)

Is this the Thinkpad killer we've all been waiting for?

gpd.hk/gpdmicropc

No. Why would it be?

>we've all been waiting for
Have we?

Attached: disturbed_uki.jpg (516x409, 87K)

Are think pads a good option as a college student or should I just drop 300 on a bullshit HP or something? Classes start next Friday and I'm just trying to pick something up before. My budget is 300-500

>micro pc
Those died 10 years ago

Attached: 1533560413264.png (396x468, 331K)

Anyone here have a P1? What specs? How's the battery on it? That's the only thing holding me back from buying one right now.

Why do so many ThinkPads come with preinstalled Winblows 10?
And why do so many users actually use it?

No. GPD keyboards are garbage. I'd be up for a Vaio P clone with updated hardware though.

>RS-232
Based & legacypilled

Thinkpads are ultimately aimed at IT departments for businesses, anons on rollouts every 3-5 years
Businesses are far, far easier to manage with Windows workstations than Linux or GNU/Linux.

> Businesses are far, far easier to manage with Windows workstations
Really? How so?
I always imagined it to be the opposite.
IT departments out of all should feel like fish in the water with GNU/Linux.

I mean i’ll prolly get one refurbished for shits n giggles

Its one thing for IT, but Office Workers in general are totally helpless with computers

I see, thanks. That makes sense, I guess. Still sucks that they have to come preinstalled with that.

Hey fags, what's the ultimate business machine for that authentic business experience? x1 carbon or t480s?
Please don't bring up used shit for poor people

Fucking Hell it's far easier.
Active Directory alone makes it easier.
Generally speaking, Windows does actually "just werk" from a business standpoint if you have a bit of common sense in how to play with the updates (hint, let idiots elsewhere deploy theirs and you read up one what ones are safe to update)

It's also less work overall, Powershell makes things easy, software on Windows for accounting, developing, etc. Most colleges also run through Windows and it gets people used to it.

Think of the dummies with computers. The ones who freak the fuck out when Chrome doesn't deliver their one hour dank meme video fast enough because they don't know what the fuck "refresh" does.

Now imagine them on Linux or GNU/Linux

Plus the lack of MS Office on Linux with native support - no, WINE or emulating it doesn't count which is the defacto go to though a lot of people are moving towards GSuite with Chromebooks.

To put it simply: Linux is used for technical things like Servers, some developing, etc.
Actual business office work uses Windows

What's the best alternative to Cygwin nowadays?

In a way, I'm glad that it's like this because as soon as something gains in massive popularity it turns to shit. Also, after the FF fiasco today, I was surprised to see how many people irl that I know don't even use extensions/plugins because it's too complicated for them.

WSL

With your thinkpads, are you able to click drag to select text, then two finger scroll and keep on selecting more text? I can't do this and reckon you can't too, would love to know which synaptics setting is causing this.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

This normal? Using a custom Intel 8260 AC from AliExpress in my T430, under full load it heats up to nearly 100C.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-04 04-17-01.png (632x420, 48K)

I'm on Windows 7.